KY CCDW & Background Checks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : KY CCDW & Background Checks

Uncle Mark
10-25-2009, 15:17
Are the gun stores still mandated to run a background check on firearm purchasers if they have a current KY CCDW and driver's license? I've heard 2 versions but can't seem to find the info spelled out officially. Thanks for the advice.

Gary G23
10-25-2009, 21:05
I've bought several guns in the last few years and haven't had a background check. My permit was issued late 2006.

Kona2004
10-26-2009, 06:40
I got my permit in June and have bought a few firearms without the shop calling NICS. One guy looked and said it was new enough that he didn't have to call it in. I didn't think to ask about current the permit has to be in order to not have to call it in until I left the shop.

crump582
10-26-2009, 06:50
I just showed them my CCW card... no call needed.

p.d.
10-27-2009, 15:07
If you obtained your license after a certain date, you don't need the check. I don't remember that date.

cwshootersupply
11-01-2009, 09:49
If your permit was issued on or after June 12 2006 then you don't need to do the NICS check as it has already been done by the state for your CDWL.
Of course if the state decieds not to background check then your license is null and void but since the stink that was raised when they dropped the check then maybe they will not do that agian.

CEW

Uncle Mark
11-02-2009, 14:48
I just wondered because even though I've got my KY CDWL, I can't pass a background check because of some low life felon that stole my identity. I had to jump through hoops to get my permit and had my fingerprints taken by KSP because I was rejected at first. One of the reasons I wanted my permit was to be able to purchase firearms without a hassle. When I lived in AZ the fingerprint submission was standard and I had no problem getting my CDL or purchasing firearms. I should be okay now because I just renewed my KY permit and has a 2009 date on it.

6520M4P229
11-03-2009, 12:43
If your permit was issued on or after June 12 2006 then you don't need to do the NICS check as it has already been done by the state for your CDWL.
Of course if the state decieds not to background check then your license is null and void but since the stink that was raised when they dropped the check then maybe they will not do that agian.

CEW
CWSshootersupply is 100% correct.