The High Standard .45 Camp Perry model. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The High Standard .45 Camp Perry model.

Jason D
10-25-2009, 16:51
This is a gun not many people have heard about. Those that have liken them to the philippine imports sold under many names.

Some have heard the name, but don't know guns are still being sold under it.
They still sell the .22's, and their high dollar guns are still made by Bob Shea.
This particular gun is fully American made, with many of the parts being GI NM parts. It came with a group guarantee of 3" or better at 50 yards.

http://i35.tinypic.com/21jx9nk.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/2l5i1e.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/2a6kub5.jpg

This is the Highstandard Camp Perry model.
She's not very pretty, but she wasn't made for looks.

It has a USGI National Match bushing, barrel, link, and trigger.

Not bad for 1K otd.

Now on to my range report.

Well, I gave her a workout the other day. It went just about how I expected.
I tried some 452460 200gr short wadcutters (4.0gr of Bullseye) through it, and it choked.
I expected that, and was not worried. It is after all a hardball gun.

I switched over to some 230gr T.C National bullets over 4.5 grains of 700x, and ran 100 trouble free rounds through the gun. Since today was only a function test, I didn’t bother to sight in the gun, nor did I bring the good ammo.

They must have sighted the gun at the factory though, as knocking steel at 50 yards was no chore. I was a little iffy about buying a gun from a company that is not mainstream any more, but she proved to be a good one.

bac1023
10-25-2009, 19:38
Congrats.

Hi-Standard 1911s are made by Armscor, who also build RIA and some others.

They're very good for the money.

Tactical black
10-25-2009, 19:48
Congrats :wavey:

tous
10-26-2009, 04:55
The High Standard 1911s that I have examined have been surprisingly good for the price. :thumbsup:

Jason, you do know that you MUST replace the GI recoil spring guide rod with a full-length one, right? :tongueout: Man shows up at a range without one, the 5.11 boys will think he's not tacti-cool. :supergrin:

Jason D
10-26-2009, 14:53
Congrats.

Hi-Standard 1911s are made by Armscor, who also build RIA and some others.

They're very good for the money.

Their 400.00 dollar guns are, and they freely admit that.
This gun is American made. I made sure of that before I committed.

The High Standard 1911s that I have examined have been surprisingly good for the price. :thumbsup:

Jason, you do know that you MUST replace the GI recoil spring guide rod with a full-length one, right? :tongueout: Man shows up at a range without one, the 5.11 boys will think he's not tacti-cool. :supergrin:

I gots me one on order Tous.

glock2740
10-26-2009, 18:39
Cool and Congrats! Definately post after you do some accuracy testing. I think it's a pretty nice looking gun.

n2extrm
10-26-2009, 19:07
Very Nice! I personaly like a simply looking pistol like yours VERY much, I think she is pretty!

Jason D
10-27-2009, 15:08
Thanks guys.

That probably won't be for a while yet.
We've had nothing but cold weather and rain here for about a solid 5 weeks.

I am hoping to get out to the range a few more times before Winter though.

Jason D
05-28-2010, 16:05
The gun can is capable of shooting 1.5" groups at 25 yards just fine, but she suffers from issues. It has an TZZ 1984 barrel with a tight NM bushing. They also used an extra long link to force the chamber to close tighter.

First of all they didn't get the rear sight centered.
I am waiting on a torq bit to fix it.

The rear sight (Kensight) is bottomed out, and it still shoots 2" high.

I have been having odd failures, including ejecting loaded rounds, not feeding some ammo, and the magazine followers getting hung up on the feed ramp, keeping the slide from locking back.

I solved that little problem by installing a slightly used 16# Colt recoil spring.
I also went ahead and ordered a variable power 16.5# spring for it.

Today the hammer would drop to half cock when I cycled the slide, while the grip safety was engaged. It's been a frustrating few months with the gun.
Had I not had my Gold Cup with me today, I would have come home in an even fowler mood.

I sent off for a bench block, Grace punch set, and a new sear spring today.
Sure I could have sent the gun back, but there is no telling when I would ever get it back.

I really think this gun will shoot if the bugs were worked out.
I would not however buy another one.

Eyescream
05-28-2010, 16:10
That sucks.

Jason D
05-28-2010, 16:22
Yeah, it's infuriating.
I don't know what the weight of the factory spring was, but you can see where they cut it down so the gun would function.

As for the hammer dropping to half cock. I know some will tweak the fingers on the sear spring to get a lighter trigger pull. The hammer and sear don't seem to have a problem. The hammer only falls when the slide is cycled with the grip safety on.

They probably wouldn't have caught that, as it's only developed after 350 rounds or so.
Had I know the bugs this gun would have, I would have just bought a Milspec Springfield and fit a Kart barrel and target sights to it.

CMG
05-28-2010, 16:46
Thanks for your money-saving (for us :cool: ) honest review.

Jason D
05-28-2010, 17:02
I do what I can.

bac1023
05-28-2010, 17:28
Very sorry to hear :sad:

Eyescream
05-28-2010, 17:36
Had I know the bugs this gun would have, I would have just bought a Milspec Springfield and fit a Kart barrel and target sights to it.

I'm seriously thinking about making a Mil-Spec my next 1911.

Jason D
05-28-2010, 18:16
Very sorry to hear :sad:

Thanks Bac.

There wasn't much out there on these particular guns, so I didn't have much to go on. I had a few internet blurbs, and HS's say so that these were good guns.

I had some target loads that I was trying out this afternoon. They were just some 230gr LaserCast bullets over 4.3 grains of Bullseye. That was the best group of the day out of this gun, at just a tad under 1.5" @25 yards. The sad thing is it was 2" high. I can either change the rear sight, or tailor a loading to the gun that will shoot poa at 25.

I really think it will be ok after I put the new springs in, but this experience does not make me think kindly of HS. I keep forgetting they are HS in name only. My Hamden 107 weeps.

I'm seriously thinking about making a Mil-Spec my next 1911.

I wish I would have went that way now.
I could have fit a barrel myself, and had my local smith mill the slide for new sights.

Hell, I wish I would have bought two of the Milspecs instead of two Loaded's.

CMG
05-28-2010, 19:07
Thanks Bac.

There wasn't much out there on these particular guns, so I didn't have much to go on. I had a few internet blurbs, and HS's say so that these were good guns.

I had some target loads that I was trying out this afternoon. They were just some 230gr LaserCast bullets over 4.3 grains of Bullseye. That was the best group of the day out of this gun, at just a tad under 1.5" @25 yards. The sad thing is it was 2" high. I can either change the rear sight, or tailor a loading to the gun that will shoot poa at 25...

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to replace the front sight with a taller one? :dunno:

pistolwrench
05-28-2010, 19:13
In general. you get what you pay for.

Jason D
05-28-2010, 19:14
Probably it would be easier to replace it.
It's a Novak that's dovetailed in place.
I could get it out with no problem.

Jason D
06-04-2010, 16:32
Cracking this baby open was quite interesting, to me at least.
The factory sear spring has been reshaped with a grinder, much like people used to do with S&W mainspring to lighten the trigger pull.

The only finger in the spring that hadn't been messed with, was the one that contacted the grip safety. Just for giggles I put an extreme amount of tension on the left most finger, and put it back in the gun. The hammer would still ride the slide to half cock.

I put in the Wilson bullet proof spring which I did have to add a little tension to, and put everything back together. I didn't have a lot of time to test it, but it seems to have solved the problem.

I can only be sure by getting out and shooting it a lot.

I don't quite know what the point of grinding on the spring was for. It felt exactly the same when I got done with it, enough so that I didn't bother to check the trigger weight.

The hammer and sear looked good, and had been lightly worked on.