G23 vs. M&P .40C [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G23 vs. M&P .40C

roknjs
10-26-2009, 14:27
I have a G23. I like it, but don't love it. Anyone handled the M&P .40C and if so, how do they compare?

Fire_Medic
10-26-2009, 18:32
I loved the feel of the M&P's I held the other day but to "ME" the stock triggers are horrendous.

Just my $0.02 :wavey:

pens-66
10-27-2009, 05:15
I had a M&P9C when they first came out. Very nice grip and they point very well. Burwellgunsmithing.com does wonders with the trigger,he makes them smooth as glass! I am also thinking of one as a possible choice as well. The Crimson Trace laser grips are sweet for them as well.

dances with guns
10-31-2009, 01:20
my mp40c is a fantastic little blaster! more accurate and reliable than any g23 i've ever fired. kicks less too, despite the shorter barrel.

BhamGlock
11-01-2009, 23:05
my mp40c is a fantastic little blaster! more accurate and reliable than any g23 i've ever fired. kicks less too, despite the shorter barrel.

i wouldn't say it stinks, but i just sent S&W an email requesting a swap for a brand new mp40c since they can't fix the issue with mine after 2 trips back...

:whistling:

dances with guns
11-02-2009, 02:48

what a punk-don't you have anything better to do?

it's a minor, but annoying issue that i thought had been fixed until my range visit today.....get a life, troll :shakehead:

dances with guns
11-02-2009, 02:54

http://pics.bikerag.com/Uploads/data/500/258Troll_spray.jpg

WaR_ClouD-VII
11-02-2009, 03:28
Glock 23 > any M&P.

BhamGlock
11-02-2009, 07:13
what a punk-don't you have anything better to do?

it's a minor, but annoying issue that i thought had been fixed until my range visit today.....get a life, troll :shakehead:

yeah... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

dances with guns
11-03-2009, 04:23
yeah... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/champop1911/retard-1.jpg

BhamGlock
11-03-2009, 07:18
dances with guns = http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=post+whore

Keep up the good work!

dances with guns
11-03-2009, 07:53
dances with guns = http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=post+whore

Keep up the good work!

thanks for the link, i'll use that sometime. that's actually the perfect description of yourself. :rofl:

and i say that because you're quite the troll that has yet to post anything pertinent-only attempting to instigate arguments with your stupidity. :wavey:

fastbolt
11-09-2009, 11:55
I'd have to roughly equate the M&P 40c with the G27 when it comes to overall size, weight and felt recoil characteristics.

My M&P 40c is my 5th personally-owned pistol chambered in .40 S&W, with 4 of them being in what's generally considered the compact/subcompact range.

It's a very accurate gun with great ergonomics.

I still prefer 9mm & .45 ACP guns to those chambered in .40 S&W, though. It's certainly not for lack of trying and use of them in training & practice, either. I recently exceeded more than 10K rounds in my G27, alone.

I've found that I simply prefer 9/.45 guns.

Doesn't mean I don't carry one or another of my .40 guns ... and I sure shoot at least a couple of them often enough. ;)

M&P 40c alongside G27:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/fastbolt/MP40cG272.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/fastbolt/MP40cG27.jpg

DHart
02-16-2010, 03:12
I have both the G23 and the M&P 40C.

While I really like the feel-in-the-hand and the softer shooting-feel of the M&P 40C vs. the G23, I think the G23 has a definite edge in the fact that the grip "sticks" in the hand better during recoil and the G23 has a 14 round capacity vs. only 11 rounds with the M&P 40C. The capacity difference is a big deal, in my opinion.

Interestingly, while the M&P is more comfy in the hand, I find it doesn't lock into the palm as securely as the less comfy G23 does. That sounds a bit incongruous, but the blockiness of the G23 makes it less prone to moving around in your palm than the smoothly sculpted M&P grip is.

They're both great guns and I enjoy shooting the M&P a lot. But the three extra rounds, less squirrely feel in the hand while shooting, and Glock's proven reliability over a longer period of time are not insignificant considerations weighing in favor of the G23.

Around the house, my G23 has a G22 mag (15+1 capacity) in it. When I leave the house, I pop a G23 mag in (13+1 capacity) and take the G22 mag as a spare. Nice set of configurations. My M&P 40C sees little but the inside of my safe pretty much all the time... even though it's a great little gun.

Opie 1 Kenopie
02-18-2010, 00:38
Great message DHart. And I like your choice of home/carry options with the larger capacity mags. I do the same with the G22 and 23 and often carry my G30 with a G21 mag as a spare. Pop in the big dog and you have 14 rounds of .45 for the nightstand.

DHart
02-18-2010, 01:06
Opie... the G30 IS my FAVORITE Glock by far! Such a wonderfully shooting, accurate, reliable, comfy shooting, and potent gun. The G30 is one of the world's MOST special handguns indeed! I only choose my G23 more often because I think the extra capacity could be very important and .40 is a close second to .45.

If I'm considering 11 rounds of 180 gr. .40 HST in my M&P 40C vs. 11 rounds of 230 gr. .45acp Federal HST in my G30... the G30 will ALWAYS win out!

jbremount
02-19-2010, 14:50
The Glock 23 should be compared to the S&W M&P40 gun. The compact glock 27 should be compared to the compact and smaller S&W M&P40C as in the picture.

DHart
02-19-2010, 15:07
I have both an M&P40C and a G23.

The G23 and the M&P40C carry nearly identically for me, whereas the full size M&P40 is a lot bigger gun than the G23.

When using the M&P40C, I much prefer using it with the finger rest magazine, which extends the little finger support (FRONT edge of the magazine) slightly, WITHOUT changing the rear of the magazine (the printing edge) and makes it quite comparable to the G23 from a carry gun perspective. The G23 top end length is perhaps 3/8" longer than the M&P40C... a completely negligible difference to me.

For me, the G23 trounces the M&P40C due to greater capacity, long term reliability and durability, and they carry about the same, though they are both very nice guns. The M&P feels sexier in the hand, but the G23 is grippier in the hand.

jbremount
02-19-2010, 15:28
I have the M&P40 and the glock 23. They are closer in size. The M&P40 holds 15-16 rounds while the Glock23 holds 13. They both allow a full fingered grip on the gun.

The M&P40c and the glock 27 are similar and "both" only allow a two fingered grip on the gun per design from the factory. Thus the M&P40c and the Glock 27 are similar compact guns. To compare the Glock 23 with the M&P40c is apples to oranges.

DHart
02-19-2010, 16:18
I have the M&P40 and the glock 23.

Ah, but do you have an M&P40C?

Let's remember that roknjs is considering a M&P40C relative to his G23. He's not looking at a full size M&P40.

Which is a perfectly valid comparison, because if you lay a 40C on a G23, or put them each in the same holster and carry them, you will see that the practical difference in size, for carry gun consideration is negligible! And you enjoy greater capacity (14 rounds) with the G23. And when home, pop a G22 mag into the G23 and you've got 16 round capacity.

The G19/G23 are really sweet models because you get a great handling, comfortable shooting gun with relatively high capacity in a very compact form, given the capabilities. This accounts for why the G19/23 form factor models are incredibly popular and dominate most all other similar sized carry guns.

roknjs... you may decide you like the M&P40C better than your G23, which is fine too if losing the capacity isn't important to you. The 40C feels great in the hand, is accurate, reliable, and is enjoyable to shoot. They're both great guns, very easy to carry, very reliable. What you really need to do is evaluate your overall needs, capacity considerations, and shoot both guns, then decide for yourself.

And if you're going to drop down to 10+1 capacity, you really should consider the G30... my very favorite Glock defense gun. I'd prefer 11 rounds of 45acp in a G30 to 11 rounds of .40 in a M&P40C, but that's just me. No one can make this decision for you.

jbremount
02-19-2010, 18:42
Roknjs...for your info..(My carry guns).This is a picture of the Glock 23 compared to the M&P40. The two guns are close enough in size enough to compare together even though the differences go way beyond cosmetics. The pictures by the poster "fastbolt" clearly demonstrates the "similarity in size" between the two fingered baby glock27and the two fingered M&P40c. The pictures below clearly demonstrate the "similarity in size" between the Glock23 and the M&P40. The sight radius is close to the same, the slide length, the full fingered grip, ammo capacity/etc. The M&P is slimmer, but a tad longer in the grip, the Glock 23 is thicker in the grip. The M&P guns have the grip angle same as the 1911 guns. The Glock has a sharper grip angle. Notice the butt of the glock ends further behind the slide. The M&P also has conventional rifling. It has a tighter and a fully supported chamber, thus no need for an aftermarket barrel to shoot the cheaper lead reloads safely. The Glock is notorious for very large and unsupported chambers. I run KKM and Lone Wolf aftermarket barrels in all my Glocks. Glocks have tons of aftermarket parts you can buy. Anyway, these pictures don't lie about the size comparisons.

M&P40...................Glock23

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g153/jbremount/good0613.jpg

Glock 23 on top , M&P on bottom

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g153/jbremount/goodone.jpg

DHart
03-17-2010, 10:13
roknjs... more in answer to your comparison of the G23 to the M&P40C. You
may have already put this question to bed in your mind and if so, perhaps this
can help others who might be comparing these two guns.

The size differences in these guns makes them a good comparison. I'll throw
in the G30 as well, because it is about the same size as well. And all three
of these guns are of very good quality, accurate, reliable.

First off... you probably know this already - you will give up the 14 round
capacity and reduce to 11 round capacity.

Since I have and use the G23, G30 and M&P40C, I can offer a first hand
experience in comparing them in shooting, daily use, and carrying.

Here's why I always choose to carry my G23 over my M&P40C.

14 rounds vs. 11 rounds with such a negligible size and weight difference
that I can't tell which gun I'm carrying. I'll take 14 over 11 for sure.

As for grip security - the .40 cal. is a snappy load to say the least, and for
me, I've discovered something I didn't expect: The M&P grip is more smooth
and form flowing in my hand, which makes the gun shift somewhat more in
the hand while firing! The G23 is less form fitting in the hand, slightly less
"smooth", which actually makes the gun grip more secure in my hand while
firing... less shifting in the hand.

As you can see below, the size difference is truly negligible if you carry IWB
under a garment. The part of the gun most likely to "print" is the REAR of
the bottom of the grip and the minor difference in that part is insignificant in
my ability to conceal either gun equally well.

I took great care to photograph as much straight-down on the guns as possible
so as to avoid the visual distortion that results when not angled straight on.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Glocks/IMG_2296.jpg

Using the smaller two-finger hold magazine in the M&P40C reduces the size
somewhat (BUT doesn't make any difference in carry feel OR concealability to me)
and makes the gun even less secure while firing the snappy .40 cal. load. SO I
see no point in using this two-finger hold magazine. It makes no difference
in my ability to conceal the weapon, but does compromise "shootability".

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Glocks/IMG_2297.jpg

Next thought... if I'm going to carry a gun with 11 round capacity, which would I prefer?
11 rounds of .40 or 11 rounds of .45? As long as the overall size and weight difference
is negligible... I'll take the .45. It's a more enjoyable caliber to shoot and has an
arguable edge in terminal ballistics for self defense. When carrying IWB, I feel no
difference between the M&P40C and the G30 and they are comparable in terms of
concealability.

So if I have a choice between carrying my M&P40C or my Glock 30 (magnificent
weapon in every respect!) I will always choose the Glock 30.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Glocks/IMG_2299.jpg

Again, switching the M&P40 to the TWO-finger magazine reduces the grip length
slightly, but makes the gun more difficult to hold and shoot well. I see no point
in using this magazine:

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Glocks/IMG_2300.jpg

Now, so I'm not misunderstood - I feel all three of these guns are well made and
excellent guns! No doubt about that. They can all be reliable and plenty accurate!
I also enjoy shooting them all. Any one of them can do the job of personal defense
relatively well. And I wouldn't argue with anyone who might prefer any one of
them for themselves. But, for the reasons I've stated and shown above, my
personal choice is always to carry my G23 or my G30 over my M&P40C.

Hopefully this can help in your consideration of the G23 to the M&P40C. AND, prompt
you to consider the magnificent G30! ;)

NailShooter
03-20-2010, 17:28
I own a 23, 27, 30, and an M&P40c. My preferred order of carry is: 27, 23, 30, and I wouldn't carry the M&P40c at this point in time.

I can pocket carry the 27 if I want to, but likely none of the others. The Glock triggers are superior IMO. The M&P has a spongy reset. The M&P had issues out-of-the-box. I do feel the M&P has better quality sights, ergos and guide rod. I have more Glocks than the ones listed, NONE of them has had "functional issues"--and yes I shoot them (9's, 10's, 40's. 45's). You can get any parts that you want for the Glocks, not so easy with an M&P. Regards,

Nail

punisheresf
04-08-2010, 20:33
I'd have to roughly equate the M&P 40c with the G27 when it comes to overall size, weight and felt recoil characteristics.

My M&P 40c is my 5th personally-owned pistol chambered in .40 S&W, with 4 of them being in what's generally considered the compact/subcompact range.

It's a very accurate gun with great ergonomics.

I still prefer 9mm & .45 ACP guns to those chambered in .40 S&W, though. It's certainly not for lack of trying and use of them in training & practice, either. I recently exceeded more than 10K rounds in my G27, alone.

I've found that I simply prefer 9/.45 guns.

Doesn't mean I don't carry one or another of my .40 guns ... and I sure shoot at least a couple of them often enough. ;)

M&P 40c alongside G27:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/fastbolt/MP40cG272.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/fastbolt/MP40cG27.jpg

Agree, true the m&p has a bad trigger, after a quick trigger job the pull is more crisp than any glock ive felt

DHart
04-09-2010, 19:34
I own a 23, 27, 30, and an M&P40c. My preferred order of carry is: 27, 23, 30, and I wouldn't carry the M&P40c at this point in time.

I can pocket carry the 27 if I want to, but likely none of the others. The Glock triggers are superior IMO. The M&P has a spongy reset. The M&P had issues out-of-the-box. I do feel the M&P has better quality sights, ergos and guide rod. I have more Glocks than the ones listed, NONE of them has had "functional issues"--and yes I shoot them (9's, 10's, 40's. 45's). You can get any parts that you want for the Glocks, not so easy with an M&P. Regards,

Nail

The Glock 30 sure is a sweet pistol in a super sweet caliber! Definitely my favorite Glock to shoot.