Body shape and carry options [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Body shape and carry options

chris in va
10-28-2009, 20:55
Hello, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place but I have a question about what type of holster works best for the situation.

Long story short, my friend has some 'hips' if that is the PC term to use. I frankly don't see how any IWB holster would work for this situation. It would jam hard into her side at about a 20 degree angle, preventing any sort of draw.

She has her permit and said she'd just keep it holstered in her purse, but we did a short drill and she couldn't get it out within 15 seconds as there's a lot of junk in there. A dedicated CC purse is just too costly right now.

Her cover garments really wouldn't conceal an OWB, even with a small pistol like the P11 or Kahr. I guess it would work if she got a longer fleece top or something...ideas?

Lone_Wolfe
10-29-2009, 03:50
A quick thought may be to have her try an IWB at 2 o'clock. Up front with a smaller gun can be reasonably comfortable.

dugo
10-30-2009, 06:29
Wife sometimes needs deep concealment, has "thunderwear" (or "smart carry", can't remember which; a pouch that hangs in front, underneath the pants). Usefulness very much depends on individual curves, I think, but works for many. Access is not very fast, but can be workable.

Also, she'd say +1 for what Lone Wolfe said: two o'clock is a good possibility. That's what Wife is most comfortable with, so far. Also, she hasn't tried a belly band yet, but some women like them for certain occasions.

Mrs. Tink
10-30-2009, 12:49
Two comments: 1) If she's going to do a purse, she doesn't have to have a special gun purse if she doesn't have the funds. She just has to have a purse with compartments and devote a WHOLE compartment just to the gun & holster. I have done this and it works better. You never, ever want other stuff jangling around in the same compartment as your firearm. I got a pretty cool purse at Kohl's the other day with a center zippered pocket, and side open pockets and the whole thing has a magnetic clasp on top. The carry pistol can be easily hidden in the center zip, with easy access, and the stuff on the sides is all the other stuff I need to carry around.

2) I have had, um, hips before too, and I found that in the winter months, a cross draw OWB at 10:00 or 11:00 works reasonably well under coats, jackets and sweatshirts. It is easier to conceal than the 3:00 (or 9:00) positions. Extra flesh is never helpful but it can be done. Smart carry wouldn't work for me, since the clothes aren't tailored for it.

fgutie35
10-30-2009, 12:56
If she is well endowed on her back like my wife, small back carry is the ticket. My wife uses FBI style holster where the gun is pretty much upside down with the grip facing her right side. She practiced until mastering fast draw. She also has wide hips like your friend so is impossible for her to carry on either side.

Linda
11-02-2009, 20:53
Um, I'm not exactly petite...,:shocked:
I carry my M&P at 2:00 in an IWB. VERY comfortable way to carry.