CVA Muzzleloader [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CVA Muzzleloader

jp_vcu
10-30-2009, 17:51
Here in Virginia, October 31 is the first day of muzzleloader season. I've always wanted to get in on the early deer action, so I bought an old CVA muzzleloader from a coworker for $50. Today I figured I'd go and fire it, just to make sure it was in working order and scoped in correctly. I'm glad I did, because I now know that I have the most poorly designed muzzleloader on the planet.

The first thing I noticed was that the ramrod was about 3 inches too short. I threw the thing away and picked up a wooden dowel.

It was nearly impossible to fit the percussion cap in place because the scope was blocking the breech. Once I got it on, half the time I couldn't make the cap ignite.

Once I finally got the cap to fire, the black powder wouldn't ignite.

I finally decided to just forget firing the gun and clean it only to realize that the only way to clean the thing is to remove the scope. I picked up a new scope mount to solve the problem, but can't sight it in today.

Guess I'll start the season off with iron sights.

noway
10-30-2009, 23:14
Here in Virginia, October 31 is the first day of muzzleloader season. I've always wanted to get in on the early deer action, so I bought an old CVA muzzleloader from a coworker for $50. Today I figured I'd go and fire it, just to make sure it was in working order and scoped in correctly. I'm glad I did, because I now know that I have the most poorly designed muzzleloader on the planet.

The first thing I noticed was that the ramrod was about 3 inches too short. I threw the thing away and picked up a wooden dowel.

It was nearly impossible to fit the percussion cap in place because the scope was blocking the breech. Once I got it on, half the time I couldn't make the cap ignite.

Once I finally got the cap to fire, the black powder wouldn't ignite.

I finally decided to just forget firing the gun and clean it only to realize that the only way to clean the thing is to remove the scope. I picked up a new scope mount to solve the problem, but can't sight it in today.

Guess I'll start the season off with iron sights.

That's typical, you also should have fire this numerous times before imho. This way you know what it takes and can work all of the bugs out ahead of season.

btw

My 1st CVA was a ***** to seat a cap in and had no breech plugs, so it was a ***** to clean.

If you caps are not firing, I would check the following ; 1> buy good caps 2> try a different brand 3> make sure the spring and striker is in good working order ( btw our glocks striker operates in the same fashion ;) ) 4> ensure the nipple is not plug ( alot of people miss this ) 5> ensure the breech plug channel is not plugged up or rusted clog.

What I typically do, is to use a flashlight at a angle at the breech end and make sure light can be seen thru all holes. if the nipple is plug, you will not see light at the muzzle.

Second, I awlays carry a nipple pick. You can fashion one out of some strong wire or strip one of the bag ties things and use that wire as a pick. It's long and flexible and strong.

On your powder issues; is it dry, clean and no oil contamination?

vafish
10-31-2009, 20:42
Where you at in VA?

With VCU in your name I'm guessing Richmond area. But if you're in NOVA I could probably give you a hand setting it up for next year. I don't have the time to do it for this season.

Jonesee
10-31-2009, 20:50
I may be mistaken, but I believe if you hold the brass end of the ramrod and spin it, it will un screw and will extend from 22 7/8" to 24 3/4".

i hope you really didn't throw it away.

If you haven't black powder hunted before, maybe some range time with a friend that has will help some.

jp_vcu
11-06-2009, 19:21
I'm in Richmond. No the ramrod didn't extend. I thought that it might, but not the case.

Now I think I've got the wrong size percussion cap.

Jonesee
11-06-2009, 22:24
Specifications and features:
CVA Optima 209 Magnum break-action muzzleloader
.50 caliber
26" magnum barrel
1:28" twist
Transfer bar safety
Interchangeable barrels
Bullet guiding muzzle
Stainless steel 209 breech plug
Black composite stock
Ambidextrous cheekpiece
Deep pistol grip
Blued barrel
DuraBright fiber optic sights
Cocking spur
14.43" length of pull
Built-in ramrod extension
Drilled & tapped
8.8 lbs.

Straight from the CVA specs. If you have a different model let me know. I believe they are all the same though. The measurements I gave above are accurate.

Dalton Wayne
11-06-2009, 22:30
I love muzzle loaders I want another flintlock some say, they are a hoot to shoot. :cool:
Regards
DW

noway
11-07-2009, 17:07
I'm in Richmond. No the ramrod didn't extend. I thought that it might, but not the case.

Now I think I've got the wrong size percussion cap.

#11 is what you want #10 are for hand pistols.