Trophies [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trophies

jp_vcu
10-30-2009, 18:39
I've had a lot of success over the past few years with deer. I get out early for muzzleloading season and hunt with dogs in the regular rifle/shotgun season. I average 10-15 deer a season (all legal; I hunt on lands with special D-CAP permits because of overpopulation).

I enjoy hunting, I enjoy shooting, and I enjoy eating the deer. I just don't care enough about my dead animals to pay a taxidermist and hang them on my wall (like I said, 10-15 deer a season).

A lot of my friends get genuinely angry at me when they see pictures of some of my big rack bucks because I don't trophy hunt. They think that I should let them go for a hunter that does care.

CanyonMan
10-30-2009, 20:22
This guy In the truck pic), wasn't mounted either. He's not even the biggest, but was B&C non typical, (but i never entered him in the book). Brow tines 14". bases are the size of my N.M. elk. He fills the bed of this old ranch truck completely up. We just have shot so many deer, and the ranch is so full of them, ya just grow up not really thinking about it. Shoot most all the mounts on the fire place wall are small bucks... That way it keeps ya from braggin, and saves space ! ;)

We've seen bucks out hwere on the place in Oklahoma that run 30 to 36" spreads. "truth." I don't tell that much, cause i don't like being called a liar. ;) But there here... Ya can't eat the rack. Plus we do not guide any more so we don't let any one else shoot 'em. As I said in another post here somewhere, I am not a head hunter, and don't care about records. Every few years or so I'll get up on the canyon rim on the ranch here in W. TX, or back home in OKLA. and pop a bigin.

Their sure pretty to look at though... ;)

Good hunting

CanyonMan

vafish
10-31-2009, 20:46
Shot this one last year.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/DSCN0940.jpg

2nd biggest buck I have ever shot. Didn't get him mounted. I did cut the top of his skull off and save the antlers. May do an antler only mount like I did with my 10 point rack.

I'm just not into spending the money to do a whole head mount.

CanyonMan
11-01-2009, 10:30
Shot this one last year.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/DSCN0940.jpg

2nd biggest buck I have ever shot. Didn't get him mounted. I did cut the top of his skull off and save the antlers. May do an antler only mount like I did with my 10 point rack.

I'm just not into spending the money to do a whole head mount.

You got that right about the $$$ for mounts. Man prices have went sky high (at least here), over the last 4-5 years. I reckon they got to eat too. ha.

I like that nice tall look of the rack on your buck. It is for sure a very nice buck. If your like me, ya got skull plates/racks, laying around all over the place, and a few on the wall. This one of yours is for the wall... ;)

Good luck to ya on the rest of your hunt/s this season...

CanyonMan

minnshooter
11-01-2009, 11:45
Here is my most recent "trophy." I got this one several years ago, 9 point Minnesota buck, I just did the antler mount on him myself.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c364/minnesotashooter/Dscf0050.jpg

noway
11-02-2009, 10:05
I've had a lot of success over the past few years with deer. I get out early for muzzleloading season and hunt with dogs in the regular rifle/shotgun season. I average 10-15 deer a season (all legal; I hunt on lands with special D-CAP permits because of overpopulation).

I enjoy hunting, I enjoy shooting, and I enjoy eating the deer. I just don't care enough about my dead animals to pay a taxidermist and hang them on my wall (like I said, 10-15 deer a season).

A lot of my friends get genuinely angry at me when they see pictures of some of my big rack bucks because I don't trophy hunt. They think that I should let them go for a hunter that does care.

You can't eat antlers :cool:

I also have not been much on mounts. I have a bucket or two full of antlers, some skins, and a few jawbones and lower front legs pieces, but nothing mounted on a wall.

357glocker
11-05-2009, 21:21
Do some of the best or memorable hunts in antler mounts yourself. You can get the supplies pretty cheap and it is good to customize little things yourself. Depending on how fancy you want to do it you can get and do everything yourself for about $20.