Question about CharMeck purchase permit [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question about CharMeck purchase permit

ruhroh
10-31-2009, 00:56
Hi, I have a few questions about purchase permits in Mecklenburg, and I am sorry if these questions were covered before. I read the threads when searching for 'Mecklenburg permit', and I could not find some answers I was looking for. So, here's the story. I was apathetic about firearms, but awhile ago, my family's home was broken into two times. The perp was never caught, inflicted damage and stolen valuables. I'm glad no one was home. So, I am now planning to purchase my first firearm in case of armed intruder(s) while I'm at home. Studying at Carolina during the SBP slaying helped this decision as well. I've read: http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/MCSO/Community+Services/Gun+Permits.htm http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&R=NC and I'm still left wondering to a few questions. How do I obtain a purchase permit? just fill out the application from the charmeck.org site? This will probably sound foolish, do I have to submit it in person or can I just send it to the Sheriff's office? Does the permit requirement only applies to Mecklenburg, or does it apply to the whole state of NC? I'm a little confused about Fed-State-County laws, some of the subjects tend to overlap but are significantly different in content. About FFL's: say that I want to purchase a cheaper firearm from out of state, would I need to tell and get approval from FFL before committing to a purchase or can I commit and send the seller FFL information later but before shipping? What do I need to bring or fill out at a FFL for receiving a transfer? How much do they typically charge for a transfer? Lastly, I do not plan to stay in NC permanently, so if I were to move to another state, do I just take my firearm with me or do I need to go through a FFL to send it to my new residence? Thanks for reading this, I'd appreciate it if you can point me in the right direction.

Glock30sfNC
11-12-2009, 12:20
Hi, I have a few questions about purchase permits in Mecklenburg, and I am sorry if these questions were covered before. I read the threads when searching for 'Mecklenburg permit', and I could not find some answers I was looking for. So, here's the story. I was apathetic about firearms, but awhile ago, my family's home was broken into two times. The perp was never caught, inflicted damage and stolen valuables. I'm glad no one was home. So, I am now planning to purchase my first firearm in case of armed intruder(s) while I'm at home. Studying at Carolina during the SBP slaying helped this decision as well. I've read: http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/MCSO/Community+Services/Gun+Permits.htm http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&R=NC and I'm still left wondering to a few questions. How do I obtain a purchase permit? just fill out the application from the charmeck.org site? This will probably sound foolish, do I have to submit it in person or can I just send it to the Sheriff's office? Does the permit requirement only applies to Mecklenburg, or does it apply to the whole state of NC? I'm a little confused about Fed-State-County laws, some of the subjects tend to overlap but are significantly different in content. About FFL's: say that I want to purchase a cheaper firearm from out of state, would I need to tell and get approval from FFL before committing to a purchase or can I commit and send the seller FFL information later but before shipping? What do I need to bring or fill out at a FFL for receiving a transfer? How much do they typically charge for a transfer? Lastly, I do not plan to stay in NC permanently, so if I were to move to another state, do I just take my firearm with me or do I need to go through a FFL to send it to my new residence? Thanks for reading this, I'd appreciate it if you can point me in the right direction.

Take your time. I'm going to answer the first few of your questions. Others can be answered with google fu.

You can send your information and form, along with 5 dollars and a copy of your ID through the mail to the Sheriffs office. They will notify you when they are done with process, however long is the maximum wait is add three days... thats how long you'll wait. You can also call them and ask, they are very friendly in that office and understanding.

Some answers can be found here:
http://opencarry.org/maps.html

Other questions will be answered as you go along. As scary as it might be people are usually pretty helpful when you asked them questions. Try not to think so much about the future, these answers will come in time and they are not life and death so don't sweat it.

ruhroh
11-12-2009, 21:39
Take your time. I'm going to answer the first few of your questions. Others can be answered with google fu.

You can send your information and form, along with 5 dollars and a copy of your ID through the mail to the Sheriffs office. They will notify you when they are done with process, however long is the maximum wait is add three days... thats how long you'll wait. You can also call them and ask, they are very friendly in that office and understanding.

Some answers can be found here:
http://opencarry.org/maps.html

Other questions will be answered as you go along. As scary as it might be people are usually pretty helpful when you asked them questions. Try not to think so much about the future, these answers will come in time and they are not life and death so don't sweat it.

Thanks for the information and link, I will read through them. Sorry if my post seemed snappy or rushed, probably because it's a big blob of text. I registered not too long ago, so all my posts are moderated and separation of lines and paragraphs didn't make it or it might be my end because javascript's off. After I tried to edit it to reinsert spacings, my post was temporarily invalidated and back into the moderation queue of a few days.

So, I can just send them the form, $5 per permit (I was thinking about 2 since they're good for five years without having to go through this process again), and photocopied ID? That seems unexpectedly straightforward and I hate to sound naive, perhaps even a bit foolish, should I expect to be fingerprinted at some step?

Thanks again, I'm going to try to google the FFL questions. And I apologize if this post turns into a blob of text too. Edit: nevermind, seems that I can post immediately now. Yay.

Eagle22
11-13-2009, 06:15
Greetings and welcome.

Once your permits are ready, you will go down to the Sherriffs office to pick up the permits in person. Yes you will need to show your current photo ID.

It is actually easier to go down and fill out the permits. Wait is 3 to 10 days.

IF you decided to get your Concealed Weapons Permit, then you will need to take a NRA approved class, sumit the proper forms, class certificate of completions then your finger prints to the Sheriffs office.

The SBI ( State Bureau of Investigation ) will run a criminal background check on you, This takes UP to 90 days.

The classes are good as you learn the NC Laws about where you can and can not carry your weapon.

I would apply for your initial pistol permits, 2 to 5. Then start going to gun shops or gun shows and put different weapons into your hands to see what feels best.

Different size hands like different size weapons. Thebest Pistol is the one that fits your hand and you have the most control when you fire it.

Good Luck

NC Bullseye
11-13-2009, 10:52
Greetings and welcome.

Once your permits are ready, you will go down to the Sherriffs office to pick up the permits in person. Yes you will need to show your current photo ID.

It is actually easier to go down and fill out the permits. Wait is 3 to 10 days.

IF you decided to get your Concealed Weapons Permit, then you will need to take a NRA approved class, sumit the proper forms, class certificate of completions then your finger prints to the Sheriffs office.

The SBI ( State Bureau of Investigation ) will run a criminal background check on you, This takes UP to 90 days.

The classes are good as you learn the NC Laws about where you can and can not carry your weapon.

I would apply for your initial pistol permits, 2 to 5. Then start going to gun shops or gun shows and put different weapons into your hands to see what feels best.

Different size hands like different size weapons. Thebest Pistol is the one that fits your hand and you have the most control when you fire it.

Good Luck

The bold red part above is not quite correct. It has to be a state approved concealed carry class, not just a NRA course. While the usual NC CHP approved class does have the handgun basics it's not as complete as the NRA classes. The NRA classes do not cover NC law and are not acceptable for getting your concealed handgun permit.

It is recommended that if you're new to shooting you should have some basic handgun training prior to taking the NC CHP course. You should also have some trigger time with the handgun you will be taking the CHP class with since there is a shooting proficiency test.

I'm both a NRA instructor as well as a NC CHP instructor so if I can answer any other questions let me know.

Eagle22
11-13-2009, 15:20
I stand corrected. TY

and yes good class and range time is very very helpful

ruhroh
11-14-2009, 12:50
nevermind, thread expired

Glock30sfNC
11-14-2009, 15:12
It's easier to just send the form completed, with the 5$(for one permit, you can pay 10$ when you go to pick up your permits to get all three of your allowed permits at once). Word of advice if/when you go to the office, it's not the easiest place to find. When you are headed there if the courthouse is on your left, the SO is on the right down a wheelchair ramp with hand rails.

Eagle22 must not live in meck county, because it will take you at least 30 days to recieve your permit, and 90 for your CCL. You are also limited to three purchase permits. If you need more i'm pretty sure you have to complete the process over again or just apply for your CCL and it takes the place of purchase permits.

Good luck

Eagle22
11-15-2009, 17:25
Wake county here. and we can do up to 5 permits per year.

Once the CCW is obtained then no limit to purchase.

10 days for pistol permit approval and up to 90 days for CCW in Wake county

Correct one must hand in and they will call you back when approved to pick up your permits.

If Mec limits you to three at a time, get all three permits right away.

Good Luck

MaximaDrvr
11-16-2009, 20:46
In Meck county, they say 7 days for your PPP, but in reality it can be a lot shorter depending on backlog. I recieved two of mine on the same day. I requested them, and the lady behind the counter asked if I wanted to wait. 45 minutes later I had them in my hand. This was last November.

My CHP took 89 days.

Glock30sfNC
11-16-2009, 21:00
If you have already been approved you can pick up your purchase permits whenever you want. I went and picked my extra two up and took no longer than 10 mintues. However, if you are applying for your purchase permits for the first time its going to take 30 days at least.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/MCSO/Community+Services/Gun+Permits.htm

Note: Due to the volume of requests for purchase permits, the current wait time is approximately 30 days and for concealed carry permits, the wait time is 90 days. We apologize for the inconvenience, but our goal is to ensure each citizen is given the attention needed to complete the process.

ruhroh
11-30-2009, 21:25
I have to say, that was unexpectedly fast.

Sent it off on the 17th, came back the 19th because of postage (oops.). Sent it off again on the 23rd, and a earlier today it's been approved.

Glock30sfNC
12-02-2009, 20:50
I guess their caught back up, I stand corrected JD. I would recommend the glock 19, one of my favorite pistols in the world. 9mm is an accurate and dependable caliber despite what some people will lead you to believe, and glock 18 magazines are interchangable so you could potentially have 33 rounds to go at all times :2gun: You will lose no accuracy with the compact frame, only gain concealibility and lose capacity compared to the 17.

Reasons to go for a glock: the availability of accesories, easy to replace parts that brake, magazines are relatively cheap and very reliable, super easy to clean and disassamble, will eat any type of ammo you put in there(just don't put a real hot reload in there).

I wouldn't mine owning a cz, or a walther, but if it was going to be my only gun and a carry gun at that I would go with the Glock 19.

Eagle22
12-03-2009, 15:43
Congrats.

G19

ruhroh
12-03-2009, 21:15
nevermind, got what i wanted

Eagle22
12-04-2009, 09:50
Go to a gun store and put each in your hand.

Feel the weight and how your hand grips the piece.

forget what "they" like or Say. You will know.

G19 plain and simple. Easy to hold, maintain and shoot.

Glock30sfNC
12-05-2009, 13:23
Thanks!

I think I'm leaning towards the G19 for the moment too, but I'm whimsical.

G19: Judging from some forum surfing, people say it has a weird grip angle, and thus not as natural to point. And it's ugly. Very ugly. Some people, even here on this forum, said their front plastic sights fell off. But, it's durable, light, 15 rds in a very efficient package and very aggressively priced. Magazines are abundant and relatively cheap. People love their CS. No second-strike, I think this issue might be a bit overblown anyway. Not sure if this is true but barrels are not fully supported, though I think it's more of a problem in 40S&W.
Stop listening to what other people say, and I think it is the best looking polymer on the market. If you want to see ugly check out an XD or M&P(both good guns) but are ugly as sin in my opinion. Again stop listening to what people say, i'd say glocks have one of the most natural point of aims out of any gun i've held. I've never had a problem with my plastic sights on any of the glocks i've owned, and most were carried and shot on a regular basis. The issue of a second strike is overblown, run reliable factor ammo and you won't have a problem. On the last issue, unless you are reloading it won't be an issue.
USP Compact: Higher priced gun, higher-priced mags. 13 rds despite being pretty much the same size as the G19. Some say can stuff 15 rds of 9mm in a 12 rd 40 caliber mag and functions perfectly. Eh, I wouldn't trust it outside of range use. Durable/tough/etc like GLOCK. Has a lot of variants - this part I like; safety, DA/SA, LEM interchangeable if you buy the parts. Used to have poor CS, but people are rating it pretty high now.
Good gun. Very high price though.
CZ75 PCR: People seem to like it, not very expensive, nice build, steel. Trigger takes some time to 'smooth out' - I think that's the correct term, I'm not sure. Mag's are about same price as the G19's on CDNN. DA/SA. 14 9mm rds in flush mag. Conventional rifling, so I guess it can shoot lead?
Do you really want to shoot lead? Not bad guns either, if you are fan of that style of gun go for it.
P99AS: DA/SA despite being striker fired. They seem to like its ergonomics. 15 or 16 rds in a mag. Gun itself is a little bit cheaper than a USP Compact/P2000 but the magazines are hard to find, and costs ~ $15-20 more per mag than the HK. Wow. I heard a few say it flips more for its caliber than other comparable models. 1 Yr Warranty. Bond... James Bond.

This is going to be my first firearm, and might very well be my only firearm (that might change), so I'll do my best but I'm fully anticipating mistakes to be made in terms of stuff like cleaning or maintenance. The G19 or USP Compact might be the more forgiving ones in terms of lack of proper care, I believe. I think most modern handguns are going to be pretty close in reliability and durability, but people always compares GLOCK and HK when it comes to taking abuse. But GLOCK and Walther uses Tenifer. I don't think any other manufacturers' steel treatment is equal to or surpasses Tenifer.
Polymer you mean?
Too many choices. Maybe I'll just save my ramblings until I've seen all of these in person. Or I can just pick whichever one I can buy used and lowest than MSRP. I hate decisions. Inevitably, someone will say buy all of them.
Just don't listen to what anybody says, do your research, get a chance to fire the gun in question. Hold the gun, see how it grips, check the ease of disassambly/maintence, etc. etc.

It's not very hard to clean a glock, and if you can follow directions you can probably field stip it. Regardless, good luck on your purchase.

stang1988
12-29-2009, 13:57
wen tto get permits last summer took 45 days for my permits. I now live in franklin county onee day for permit 45 days for ccw