Baha 101 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Baha 101

Allegra
11-01-2009, 10:48
Santi came to town and the whole province was flooded
Ngayon lang ako nakakita ng baha this severe sa national highways and people have died sa lakas ng agos
A few hours after the typhoon, nasa highway nako
Dami cars nakatigil sa baha , w/ one vios bigla pa naghesitate sa gitna kung san malalim yung tubig , gusto ko sana sagasaan

So my question is , pano ba magdrive sa malalim na flood?

bikethief
11-01-2009, 11:16
Hanap ka sa youtube ng 4x4 River Crossing tutorials. All I know is keep your backpressure up at all cost and turn off all electricals like headlights and A/C.

Allegra
11-01-2009, 11:32
Kaya pala most of the vehicles had their windows down
Patay ang aircon

antediluvianist
11-01-2009, 19:05
What i learned, from being in a cross-country excursion with a friend who has a 4X4, is when you cross a stream, do not cross it in such a way that your vehicle is perpendicular to the flow of the water. The moving water has too much of a chance to start pushing your vehicle that way.

Cross at a diagonal, facing downstream. Less push against the vehicle that way.

Don't know if this can be done in a city street but if you can, same principle: avoid opposing the flow by 90 degrees, the water then has a great chance to push your car. Angle your car at a diagonal- even a slight one- facing downstream.

And ditto on turning off what electricals you can.

Keep the rev up, to keep water from coming into your exhaust pipe and for other reasons. I was able to get though 50 meters of water 1-meter deep by doing this. Don't stop the engine rev and don't stop period.

darwin25
11-01-2009, 22:53
primera ka lang. Don't ever ever try to change gears.

Eye Cutter
11-01-2009, 23:37
the engine will conk out if water reaches the air intake manifold and/or obstructs the exhaust flow. that's why the 4x4's have their air intakes sa roofline. kung meron ka extra radiator hose, stick it in your tailpipe para mas mataas exhaust sa tubig.

darwin, pwede ka naman mag change gear pero you do it like race/rally car drivers, heel and toe technique, where you keep the heel planted on the gas pedal to keep the rev up while you shift. kasi pag bumaba ang rpm, magkakaroon ng back pressure, mag vacuum sa exhaust, hihigop yung water papasok sa tambucho.

Eye Cutter
11-01-2009, 23:37
usually yung mga tumitirik yung mga nag hesitate and bumibitaw sa gas! so bomba lang ng bomba

MAJINKONG
11-02-2009, 00:22
as much as possible, hwag tatapakan ang clutch... if may agos, magsakay ka ng pabigat (TAMBAYs) para di ka maagos.

Allegra
11-02-2009, 08:11
the mitsu service advisor told me may one way valve daw yung exhaust ng sasakyan ko , kaso , I dont trust mitsu to assemble it correctly baka mamya baliktad kabit heehee

the only thing I did wrong was keep the aircon on

Ok lang sana if the road was clear
The only time I got worried was when there were people or cars blocking the road , I had to stop. So I used the floodwaters and then handbrake to stop, and kept my foot on the accelerator at clutch

btw, ok na bag si versipack pang emrgency
Andun na gun , light , money, fake leatherman, lighter , smart at sun cel
Grab and go nalang

liveandletlive
11-02-2009, 10:21
I use the 4L gear on my 17y/o HiLux pag nasa baha. Mabagal ang takbo at mataas ang RPM, takes care of keeping water out of the tailpipe and the low speed trafic. Wala ring AC yun kaya no need to worry about it, he he...

...pwede ka naman mag change gear pero you do it like race/rally car drivers, heel and toe technique, where you keep the heel planted on the gas pedal to keep the rev up while you shift.

Yup...

And check your brakes as soon as you get out of the flood.

kupstah
11-03-2009, 06:09
Here's a funny video tutorial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r___JKyVOXw

edtf
11-03-2009, 06:44
The best is stay put :) - if you see the water rising park somewhere high or park in the mall's multi level parking. Have a beer or coffee and wait it out :supergrin:

If you have to do water fording then make sure your engine is sealed - OK lang lumubog yung exhaust. Forced air naman yung palabas. Intake is another thing. Make sure you have a raised intake (snorkel or pre filter) and you are ready to go. Just remember if you go down (in water) in a nice computerized vehicle then get ready to get some damage with your electrical and other computer parts.

Oh this is the vehicle I use for river crossing, farm use and I did some rescuing during ondoy - During ondoy water was above the hood. remember low 4 and 1st gear is your best friend. (oh we rescued a military 6x6 stuck in the daraitan river a few months back :) )
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x245/edtf/SP_A0142.jpg

Maintenance after river crossing or deep water fording is a must check all fluids/oil

Allegra
11-03-2009, 07:03
Saw UN land cruisers parked sa flood areas
Bnew na may snorkels at huge antenna sa bumpers

Ayoko lagyan ng snorkel sasakyan ko hehe next time , I'll bring my mountain bike

edtf
11-03-2009, 08:08
Saw UN land cruisers parked sa flood areas
Bnew na may snorkels at huge antenna sa bumpers

Ayoko lagyan ng snorkel sasakyan ko hehe next time , I'll bring my mountain bike

just note how high your intake leading to your intake is. It isn't also wise to go any deeper - you can and will damage your vehicle if it goes any higher

kerwin
11-03-2009, 12:53
if the body of water you are trying to cross already has a name... like pasig... forget about it nalang.