Open Carry? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Open Carry?

paleroseglow
11-02-2009, 18:19
So this dude at Impact guns was saying that its legal to open carry in Utah, is this true? He said that as long as 70% of the pistol is showing- if so does that include holster? He also said that it is legal to have a pistol in your glove box with a loaded mag.. How true is this? Can anyone clear this up for me?

Teckomando
11-05-2009, 15:45
You can open carry in Utah. the law states that three actions are required before you are able to fire your weapon. Such as unsnap thumb break, draw, release safety, fire. The reality of open carry here, is that you will have people call the police and the police will investigate you. If you're not displaying a badge you will be harassed. You can carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle. A new law treats your car as your home. If you have it laying on your seat next to you and you're pulled over for any reason, you're going to have a crap load of inconvenience as they put your prone and secure the weapon for officer safety. It sucks but that is the reality of the "guns are evil" culture we live in. Utah also requires you to inform the officer of the weapon.

paleroseglow
11-09-2009, 11:53
You can open carry in Utah. the law states that three actions are required before you are able to fire your weapon. Such as unsnap thumb break, draw, release safety, fire. The reality of open carry here, is that you will have people call the police and the police will investigate you. If you're not displaying a badge you will be harassed. You can carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle. A new law treats your car as your home. If you have it laying on your seat next to you and you're pulled over for any reason, you're going to have a crap load of inconvenience as they put your prone and secure the weapon for officer safety. It sucks but that is the reality of the "guns are evil" culture we live in. Utah also requires you to inform the officer of the weapon.

Thanks bud, yeah I just took my concealed class so hopefully I'll just conceal here in a little bit.. I did go to walmart open carrying and had no problems at all, I did get a few looks though, lol..

Teckomando
11-10-2009, 01:56
That is awesome. Good luck and keep your powder dry.

tyger006
11-12-2009, 22:25
Ummm.... Not to burst anyone's bubble, but you better check the laws on that. I did a few years back and the open carry laws here had changed to read somewhat different than they had in the past. The change had to do with prohibiting open carry within any township or city limits. outside of these, there was no restriction.

Check it out for yourself, but that is what I remember reading.

Good luck,

Tyger

Openroadracer
11-14-2009, 18:38

I've been pulled over with my concealed carry within reach and never had a problem. Officer asked to see the CCL and asked if it was loaded. That was all.

Co-worker was asked to keep his hands on the streering wheel and maintain eye contact with the a LEO on one occasion. He felt that was very strange, as he hadn't had anything like that happen before.

tyger006
11-14-2009, 22:07
Ok,

Although I could not find the law that I remember reading (it had to be at least 5 years ago anyway) a fairly quick search came up with this new change as of 2009:

<!-- WP Style End: lineno --> 57 <!-- WP Paired Style Off: lineno --> <!-- WP Style End: lineno --> 76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
<!-- WP Paired Style On: lineno --> <!-- WP Style End: lineno --> 58 <!-- WP Paired Style Off: lineno --> <!-- WP Style End: lineno --> (1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
<!-- WP Paired Style On: lineno --> <!-- WP Style End: lineno --> 59 <!-- WP Paired Style Off: lineno --> <!-- WP Style End: lineno --> (a) in or on a vehicle[<strike>;</strike>], unless:
<!-- WP Paired Style On: lineno --> <!-- WP Style End: lineno --> 60 <!-- WP Paired Style Off: lineno --> <!-- WP Style End: lineno --> (i) the vehicle is in the person's lawful possession; or
<!-- WP Paired Style On: lineno --> <!-- WP Style End: lineno --> 61 <!-- WP Paired Style Off: lineno --> <!-- WP Style End: lineno --> (ii) the person is carrying the loaded firearm in a vehicle with the consent of the person
<!-- WP Paired Style On: lineno --> <!-- WP Style End: lineno --> 62 <!-- WP Paired Style Off: lineno --> <!-- WP Style End: lineno --> lawfully in possession of the vehicle.
<!-- WP Paired Style On: lineno --> <!-- WP Style End: lineno --> 63 <!-- WP Paired Style Off: lineno --> <!-- WP Style End: lineno --> (b) on [<strike>any</strike>] a public street; or
<!-- WP Paired Style On: lineno --> <!-- WP Style End: lineno --> 64 <!-- WP Paired Style Off: lineno --> <!-- WP Style End: lineno --> (c) in a posted prohibited area.

Not sure just how much a "public street" includes, but as a general rule you have to go on a public street to get anywhere, so that may be a bit of a restriction.

here is the link if you want to read the whole thing: http://le.utah.gov/~2009/bills/hbillamd/hb0357s01.htm

I only did a quick search, so there is without a doubt much more to the code that would be good to know.

Tyger

Teckomando
11-15-2009, 10:39
I made an inquiry to my concealed permit instructor. He said that open carry laws in Utah have changed since I got my concealed permit.(11 years ago.) He sent me a link to the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI). They are the regulatory and issue agency concerning firearms in Utah. Here is a link to their site where they state: "It is unlawful to carry a loaded firearm on any public street without a permit." (http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FirearmLaws.html#Carrying)

So basically there is no open carry in Utah any more.:steamed:

mudmanfloyd
11-15-2009, 20:54
I took my Utah class about two years ago. I was told that without a permit open carry was permitted as long as there was no round in the chamber.

With a permit you can carry openly without any restriction.

Teckomando
11-16-2009, 00:46
I took my Utah class about two years ago. I was told that without a permit open carry was permitted as long as there was no round in the chamber.

With a permit you can carry openly without any restriction.That's why I posted the link to the BCI site. I was under the same impression. But, apparently, according to Utah BCI, that is no longer the case.

snair
11-23-2009, 23:23
I made an inquiry to my concealed permit instructor. He said that open carry laws in Utah have changed since I got my concealed permit.(11 years ago.) He sent me a link to the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI). They are the regulatory and issue agency concerning firearms in Utah. Here is a link to their site where they state: "It is unlawful to carry a loaded firearm on any public street without a permit." (http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FirearmLaws.html#Carrying)

So basically there is no open carry in Utah any more.:steamed:read the statute that defines loaded.

Teckomando
11-29-2009, 14:39
read the statute that defines loaded. 76-10-502. (http://www.le.utah.gov/UtahCode/getCodeSection?code=76-10-502) When weapon deemed loaded.
(1) For the purpose of this chapter, any pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, or other weapon described in this part shall be deemed to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile in the firing position.
(2) Pistols and revolvers shall also be deemed to be loaded when an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile is in a position whereby the manual operation of any mechanism once would cause the unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile to be fired.
(3) A muzzle loading firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinders.

This is what I was originally taught. Good catch snair. I gladly stand corrected. Thanks!:notworthy:

paleroseglow
11-30-2009, 14:19
Thanks guys!