chiptuning for diesel engines [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : chiptuning for diesel engines

mtho
11-03-2009, 20:16
what do you think of this drop in chiptuning kit for deisel engines.

http://www.racechip.de/racechip-chiptuning/Toyota-Fortuner-3-0-D-4D-3277-r.html?xPrioS=8dubc03ja5v1nc61lrva302vu7

frankmako
11-03-2009, 21:24
used an american verison for a ford f250 once. worked well, more power, better take off, better fuel mileage. check around for the best price.

bauer
11-04-2009, 03:04
what car do you plan on tuning? there's a lot of local options available dito sa atin

Allegra
11-04-2009, 04:00
Unless you race parang ang lalakas na ng diesels dito satin , nababagalan pa rin kayo?
Sana we had better roads
Pero interested din ako hehe

mtho
11-04-2009, 05:52
i plan on using it on our toyota fortuner, it says better milage and more power that what got me curious, plus the price is quite attractive and installation looks simple.

atmarcella
11-04-2009, 20:45
i think there is a speed shop in the big city that tunes the ford tocus tdci's of tuason racing school. im sure they can tune any common rail diesel.

speedlab (http://www.speedlab.com.ph/)

isuzu
11-04-2009, 21:22
i plan on using it on our toyota fortuner, it says better milage and more power that what got me curious, plus the price is quite attractive and installation looks simple.

Is your Fortuner still under warranty? Check with Toyota before doing any modifications on your vehicle especially if it is under warranty. Toyota can void the warranty of your vehicle.

You may also want to check Australian websites with modifications. Australian models of Toyota vehicles almost have similar engines to the ones they sell in the Philippines.

One thing I've noticed when one modifies an engine is the increased wear and tear on the engines. There are several big trucks here and the modified ones with a chip and injector upgrade usually don't last.

We've also compared two aircraft engines fitted on similar Cessna aircraft before. The other was normally aspirated and the other was a turbo version. The turbo version had 2,000 hrs TBO while the normally aspirated one had 2,500 hrs TBO.

mtho
11-04-2009, 21:35
mine is a bit old na , might be out of warranty. i'll double check.

bauer
11-04-2009, 22:54
Mtho: call up speedlab they have a plug and play unichip for the fortuner also look for a brand called Vtech. They also have kits for tdci engines. It has preset maps and they can do custom maps for you Allegra: Hindi naman, then you use these piggyback you fine tune every A/F point giving you better response, better fuel economy and the extra kick that you look for. Example, in a 2.5diesel fortuner. Power wise medyo mahina, response wala din gano, after tuning you'l notice instant response sa engine on top of that since na fine tune, mas matipid siya

weedman
11-04-2009, 23:02
Anyone tried the DPCHIP?
www.hummerphilippines.com distributes them. =)

http://www.dpchip.com.au/

Wp.22
11-04-2009, 23:24
Speedlab heto yata yung kina Ferman Lao of K&N filters at sydney ang. Hindi cheap ang price dito since hindi hit or miss ang trabaho nila. Sa kanila yata nagpalagay ng turbi kit yung anak ni Gary V para doon sa swift nya na nabanga sa C before.

Eye Cutter
11-04-2009, 23:49
speedlab dito lang yan malapit sa amin. quezon ave. tapat ng maxima and pegasus.

mark da spark, sige try natin! meron pang isuzu pero pang D-Max! iba na engine ng d-max sa trooper

bauer
11-06-2009, 12:28
Dp chip is ok though the down side is that you are stuck with the preset that they give you unless you have it specifically tuned to your car. Rather than going that route, go with the unichip or the vtech box. When they install the unit, they will tune it specifically to your car. You can also have presets done. Just like tuason's tdci, where they have i think 5 presets depending on the driver of the car

Allegra
11-07-2009, 03:15
Galing talaga dito sa bogs , daming natutunan :)

Di ba delikado sa high speeds ang stock tires that comes w/ the pickup/suv?

isuzu
11-07-2009, 07:35
Galing talaga dito sa bogs , daming natutunan :)

Di ba delikado sa high speeds ang stock tires that comes w/ the pickup/suv?

As long as the tires have the proper speed rating, manufacturer's recommended tire pressures, and the vehicle has a roadworthy suspension, you're good to go. However, abrupt maneuvers on an SUV should be avoided.

isuzu
11-07-2009, 07:39

Try installing a K&N air filter for a start. If you can find Lucas or FPPF fuel additives in the Philippines, they may be worth a try, too. A lot of truckers use Lucas and FPPF products on their big rigs.

www.lucasoil.com

http://www.fppf.com/

mtho
11-07-2009, 08:21
Try installing a K&N air filter for a start. If you can find Lucas or FPPF fuel additives in the Philippines, they may be worth a try, too. A lot of truckers use Lucas and FPPF products on their big rigs.

www.lucasoil.com

http://www.fppf.com/

thanks, i'll try that first.

Allegra
11-07-2009, 08:27
As long as the tires have the proper speed rating, manufacturer's recommended tire pressures, and the vehicle has a roadworthy suspension, you're good to go. However, abrupt maneuvers on an SUV should be avoided.

Sa sobrang ganda ng SCTEX , kahit above 150kph di ramdam na lumiliko na pala yung highway.
and if my truck's tire blew at that speed ...... lulungkot ang BoGs :)
I need better tires first before I mess w/ the engine

bauer
11-09-2009, 00:24
true with tires. Pero usually SUV tires are already V rated. Pero believe it or not hindi mo basta basta maabot yung max rating na yun. What you must avoid are those tires that has no threads and wrong tire pressure. Kasi if there is side wall flex diyan nag starstart yung blow outs due to the side wall. If proper naman no problem since most tubeless tires naman has metal woven into the rubber kata matibay.

With regards to power and tires naman, like i said, it'll hold. Another factor to consider are the brakes and how they perform. Just like the fortuner, they have really weak brakes.

Suspension naman, para mas safe, important yung spring and shocks combo. with the fort for example, shocks will do

Allegra
11-09-2009, 03:44
w/out the abs , ang layo ng skid pagmadulas tapos laki ng gulong

nra
11-09-2009, 17:10
This is my favorite topic as I have been involved in diesel performance as a hobby for several years now and have experimented on my own truck a 2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab with a 5.9L Cummins High Pressure Common Rail (HPCR) Intercooled Turbo Diesel.

Basically to produce more power on a diesel engine you need more fuel. However you must accompany that additional fuel with more air otherwise your Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) will sky rocket and you will start melting pistons.

How do you add more fuel?
1. Use larger or bored out injectors along with a larger injection pump to supply the needed fuel for the power you want. This is a common practice for mechanically injected or non Common Rail (CR) engines.
2. For CR engines one can use electronics to trick your engine computer to add more fuel to the engine. This can be done by performance boxes or actual computer program that is downloaded to your engine computer. Boxes is a devise that intercept data from various sensors that feed the engine computer. It is easily be removed should you have to take your truck back to the dealer for service to preserve your warranty. Dow loaded programs into the engine computer is a little more tricky to remove as there is always a trace or "footprint" left on the computer that a skilled dealer technician can detect and therefore void your warranty. There is only one company that I am aware of (MADS Electronic or Smarty) that will not leave a footprint on your engine computer if you happen to have a Cummins HPCR engine.

How to add more air?
1. Use of turbo chargers, larger turbo or using compound turbos (AKA twins).
2. Improve your intake system by using free flowing air filter and better air box design.
3. Use of intercooler to reduce air charged temperature therefore making the air more dense for the engine to ingest.
4. Use of NOX and H2O/Methanol spray will add more air along with fuel.

Lastly to expel the extra fuel and air you will need a larger free flowing exhaust system with a flow through muffler if one is used.

With a little planning on modern CR engine one can really up the HP and torque significantly. My engine is rated by Cummins at 325 HP and 610 lbs of torque at the crank shaft which is quite a bit. With a computer program, compound turbos, better flowing air intake, inercooler and a free flowing exhaust, this same engine produced 750 HP and 1,550 lbs of torque on a chassis dynamometer at the rear wheels. This goes to show you that there is plenty of potential on modern CR diesel engines. Good luck to all diesel hot roders.

Eye Cutter
11-09-2009, 17:13
whoa! i use an isuzu trooper and it can keep up with most sedans

Allegra
11-09-2009, 18:51
This is my favorite topic as I have been involved in diesel performance as a hobby for several years now and have experimented on my own truck a 2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab with a 5.9L Cummins High Pressure Common Rail (HPCR) Intercooled Turbo Diesel.

Basically to produce more power on a diesel engine you need more fuel. However you must accompany that additional fuel with more air otherwise your Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) will sky rocket and you will start melting pistons.

How do you add more fuel?
1. Use larger or bored out injectors along with a larger injection pump to supply the needed fuel for the power you want. This is a common practice for mechanically injected or non Common Rail (CR) engines.
2. For CR engines one can use electronics to trick your engine computer to add more fuel to the engine. This can be done by performance boxes or actual computer program that is downloaded to your engine computer. Boxes is a devise that intercept data from various sensors that feed the engine computer. It is easily be removed should you have to take your truck back to the dealer for service to preserve your warranty. Dow loaded programs into the engine computer is a little more tricky to remove as there is always a trace or "footprint" left on the computer that a skilled dealer technician can detect and therefore void your warranty. There is only one company that I am aware of (MADS Electronic or Smarty) that will not leave a footprint on your engine computer if you happen to have a Cummins HPCR engine.

How to add more air?
1. Use of turbo chargers, larger turbo or using compound turbos (AKA twins).
2. Improve your intake system by using free flowing air filter and better air box design.
3. Use of intercooler to reduce air charged temperature therefore making the air more dense for the engine to ingest.
4. Use of NOX and H2O/Methanol spray will add more air along with fuel.

Lastly to expel the extra fuel and air you will need a larger free flowing exhaust system with a flow through muffler if one is used.

With a little planning on modern CR engine one can really up the HP and torque significantly. My engine is rated by Cummins at 325 HP and 610 lbs of torque at the crank shaft which is quite a bit. With a computer program, compound turbos, better flowing air intake, inercooler and a free flowing exhaust, this same engine produced 750 HP and 1,550 lbs of torque on a chassis dynamometer at the rear wheels. This goes to show you that there is plenty of potential on modern CR diesel engines. Good luck to all diesel hot roders.

750hp! wow
A diesel powered Enzo

Allegra
11-09-2009, 18:57
For pickups , napauod yung episode ng mythbusters?
Pinaka matipid sa fuel yung tanggalin ang tailgate at palitan ng net
Pinakamalaks sa fuel yung tailgate open
Open bed vs may takip yung bed halos pareho lang consumption

What's the fastest diesel powered car/truck locally?

Wp.22
11-09-2009, 19:19

i guess those dump/dumb trucks sa sobrang bilis di kinakaya ng preno nababanga eh

Allegra
11-09-2009, 19:23
i guess those dump/dumb trucks sa sobrang bilis di kinakaya ng preno nababanga eh

hehe may trucking kami dati
Wala naman talagang preno mga yun :)

Wp.22
11-09-2009, 19:25
Tsaka here in RP it's the driver not the car or truck hehehe

mtho
11-09-2009, 20:33

pag fastest lang maybe the ford focus because of its small body

Allegra
11-10-2009, 01:49
pag fastest lang maybe the ford focus because of its small body

Yan ba yung nag 22okph? tapos 20km/liter. Galing
Naiisip ko a lowered strada or navarra could do the same speeds

OT- saw a GTR kanina , langyang ganda pala nun

Wp.22
11-10-2009, 02:13
Yan ba yung nag 22okph? tapos 20km/liter. Galing
Naiisip ko a lowered strada or navarra could do the same speeds

OT- saw a GTR kanina , langyang ganda pala nun

Nakita mo pala ako kanina i was just test driving it bago ko bilhin

mtho
11-10-2009, 02:16
Pot,
pa car pool ha.

Wp.22
11-10-2009, 02:18
FAFA kaya ba ng strada mo ito
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75kLUvu94rs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-iLhPiyvsk

Wp.22
11-10-2009, 02:19
Pot,
pa car pool ha.

Mark,sure why not sabayan mo ako managinip mamaya para makasakay ka:rofl:

bikethief
11-10-2009, 02:27
I have a 96 Mitsu L200. Got it bnew when I was in 4th year highschool. Hindi pa tumitirik hanggang ngayon. I forgot all about its maintenance when we were building our house so it went a whole year without a tune-up or even a carwash. No complaints.

It used to be shiny black but it's now matte black in some areas and "masilya grey" na yung hood. It still cruises at speeds up to 130kph without any excessive smoke emissions. I don't even bother computing my consumption kasi a full tank lasts me more than a week of everyday use (alabang/sucat to makati and Sta. Rosa on the weekends.) Airconditioning and suspension are ok. It's not the fastest thing on the road but it sure is the ugliest!

Allegra
11-10-2009, 02:33
FAFA kaya ba ng strada mo ito
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75kLUvu94rs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-iLhPiyvsk

ah you mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fDaqzmmgDU&feature=PlayList&p=9D8D909E847125FF&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=32

hehe parang lahat na yata gusto mo makita nasa youtube

Allegra
11-10-2009, 02:38
Nakita mo pala ako kanina i was just test driving it bago ko bilhin

Wag mo bili pre!
Tumanda itsura mo hehe
In fairness, kahit damatans yung driver sinusulit yung GTR
Pinapa arankada nya sa maliliit na kalye ng aming bayan

Wp.22
11-10-2009, 02:46
Wag mo bili pre!
Tumanda itsura mo hehe
In fairness, kahit damatans yung driver sinusulit yung GTR
Pinapa arankada nya sa maliliit na kalye ng aming bayan

walang masyadong resistance yan FAFA maputik lang tsaka ng 2 kalabaw yan

Wp.22
11-10-2009, 03:38
heto kaya jet powered truck ( photo by Randy Imperial)
http://s707.photobucket.com/albums/ww79/Mar-June/_70R0268.jpg

Blitzer
11-10-2009, 04:13
Chrysler flatly states you void your warranty and the computer will see and record the chip's presence resulting in trouble for you the next time their service center looks at your truck.