Uses for a 20 ga. 21" VR barrell [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Uses for a 20 ga. 21" VR barrell

Tact426
11-04-2009, 18:19
I just received a Remington Wingmaster 870 Magnum today, bought it from a fellow member, and it came with a 28" and a 21" barrel. Both barrels have the Remington chokes and the stocks are the standard sizes, not youth stocks.

I was wondering what purposes the 21" barrel could be used for. It's smooth bore, VR, and bead sights. What uses could it be intended for?

vafish
11-04-2009, 18:25
The 21" barrel is the youth model barrel.

It makes a nice handy little gun. Would be just fine for home defense, or hunting grouse in some thick stuff.

noway
11-04-2009, 18:33
Or hogs in tight brush, the 7" shorter or so, would be less metal and lighter gun.

DJ Niner
11-05-2009, 02:11
I just received a Remington Wingmaster 870 Magnum today, bought it from a fellow member, and it came with a 28" and a 21" barrel. Both barrels have the Remington chokes and the stocks are the standard sizes, not youth stocks.

I was wondering what purposes the 21" barrel could be used for. It's smooth bore, VR, and bead sights. What uses could it be intended for?Remington has offered factory 870s with a 21" barrel intended for turkey hunting (SPS-T comes to mind). The discontinued straight-grip 870 Special Field also had a 21" barrel option (along with 23").

A short-barreled shotgun will shoot and kill everything a longer barrel will, if you can shoot it well enough to place the pattern properly. My friends and I used to use short-barreled scatterguns for fast-rising quail, partridge and snipe, and even early-season pheasants in thick cover or tall cornfields. Try it with an open mind, and if you don't like it or shoot it well, sell the sucker. :supergrin:

Tact426
11-05-2009, 12:51
Remington has offered factory 870s with a 21" barrel intended for turkey hunting (SPS-T comes to mind). The discontinued straight-grip 870 Special Field also had a 21" barrel option (along with 23").

A short-barreled shotgun will shoot and kill everything a longer barrel will, if you can shoot it well enough to place the pattern properly. My friends and I used to use short-barreled scatterguns for fast-rising quail, partridge and snipe, and even early-season pheasants in thick cover or tall cornfields. Try it with an open mind, and if you don't like it or shoot it well, sell the sucker. :supergrin:
I actually bought the gun for my 11 year old son. He shoots better than I do.
:dunno:
I'll let him see how he likes it with both barrels. He may even like the 21" better than the 28".

DJ Niner
11-06-2009, 01:54
I actually bought the gun for my 11 year old son. He shoots better than I do.
:dunno:
I'll let him see how he likes it with both barrels. He may even like the 21" better than the 28".That's the spirit! :thumbsup: