shooting in the woods [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : shooting in the woods

rns-glock37
11-07-2009, 18:23
i have found some isolated woods around the ridgeville area. by isolated i mean seperated from any residential area. do anyone know if it's legal to shoot there? there are no trails of any kind but is easy enough to walk through. i was looking for a place to set up different type of targets and to do some test (water jugs, etc). any thoughts? thanks

NC Bullseye
11-07-2009, 20:57
You need to talk to the owner first and maybe the sheriffs office second.

rns-glock37
11-08-2009, 08:46
nc bullseye-- the woods are about 1-2 miles wide and several miles deep. again no trails, dirt roads and completely isolated. i will call the sheriffs office but i don't know about the owner/owners.

g2023
11-08-2009, 09:51
Someone owns that land, and most land owners don't appreciate people who just come on their land and do as they wish.

rns-glock37
11-08-2009, 12:19
Someone owns that land, and most land owners don't appreciate people who just come on their land and do as they wish.

i didn't mean to suggest that i wouldn't call the owner its just that the woods like i said is several miles wide and several miles deep. there are no signs, roads, trails of any kind just thick undeveloped woods. i wouldn't know how to find the owner or owners. what address would i use? there are no house any where close to use as a reference. i will call the local pd and ask about the legality of shooting there. there will not be any type of noise issue as i doubt that anyone will be close enough to hear anyway. i've walked through there several times and i could probably go there and shoot without anyone being the wiser but i want to know that i'm not breaking any laws before i do it. thanks

NC Bullseye
11-08-2009, 13:01
As a note, you will be doing something illegal if you go there and shoot without the owners permission.

To find out who the owner is, most counties government web sites have the GIS mapping system online that will give you the owners info when you pick out a point on the map and most have satellite images that make it a breeze. If not you may have to go to the tax collectors office and go through the maps and images there.

Don't just assume that no one would know if you did. The owner may be leasing it for hunting or may even hunt it himself. Good way to get shot if you happened to go at the wrong time.

If you can't find it PM me with your county and I'll try to get you pointed in the right direction.

CitizenOfDreams
11-08-2009, 13:10
Does a bear shoot in the woods?

Jeremy_K
11-08-2009, 13:14
As a note, you will be doing something illegal if you go there and shoot without the owners permission.

To find out who the owner is, most counties government web sites have the GIS mapping system online that will give you the owners info when you pick out a point on the map and most have satellite images that make it a breeze. If not you may have to go to the tax collectors office and go through the maps and images there.

Don't just assume that no one would know if you did. The owner may be leasing it for hunting or may even hunt it himself. Good way to get shot if you happened to go at the wrong time.

If you can't find it PM me with your county and I'll try to get you pointed in the right direction.
This is what I do when I come across property I'd like to gain permission to hunt on. They can print you an aerial photo with the property boundaries highlighted.

Glockrunner
11-09-2009, 07:22
Shooting any where without a proper backstop can be a dangerous idea especially here in SC where the land is flat. Even hand cartridges can fly amazing distances after hitting the floor pan or a rock.

Shooting in the woods, using the trees as a backstop is a poor idea also as it destroys the trees.

Find the owner of the property and get permission. There are "other things" for them to cosider like clean up of the lead, your safety issues etc...

RichardB
11-09-2009, 16:21
Others may be camping or hiking downrange with the owner's permission.

PS If there is a meth or moonshine operation nearby they could shoot back

hpj3
11-09-2009, 21:24
IANAL, but in general, no trespass requires the posting of signs at regular intervals... a very large tract of land with no signs or fences would seem to invite hunters, hikers, etc., to say nothing of the potential for more nefarious creatures.

That being said, if asked to leave by the owner/person in charge, then you must leave. IMHO, only dangerous to the trees if you're running Ma Duece, RPGs, etc. and a good densely wooded plot is as good a backstop (if site is properly chosen) as one can reasonably find here in the lowcountry... actually safer for your activity than hunting. Just make sure you clean up behind yourself.

I'd look it up on one of the sat sites and make sure of the surrounding area, then a stop by the sheriff's dept for a quick check...

Howard

Mystic Knight
11-10-2009, 17:44
Shooting ANYWHERE without knowing what or where your backstop is, or who or what could be there, would be incredibly stupid and irresponsible. I cannot believe that you would even consider putting yourself in that position. Especially more so when you are trespassing, and that's exactly what you would be doing if you go onto someone's property without their permission. The fact that there are no signs does not imply that trespassers are welcome. As a landowner, I can promise you that no landowner appreciates anybody "using" his/her property uninvited.

Glockrunner
11-11-2009, 06:25
Wasn't there a girl named "Goldilocks" that had somewhat the same ideas about life?

Eagle22
11-11-2009, 11:17
Maybe the county tax maps with the name of the road or address could help find the owner. or ask some one who lives near by about who owns that land.

Target shooting or hunting on some ones land with out written permission may not be a good idea.

There is quite a lot of land owned by forest / logging companies in SC.

Chucktown Mako
11-11-2009, 16:59
If you are that interested in this particular piece of property, you can look it up on Dorchester County website:
http://gisweb.dorchestercounty.net/imap/
You are going to need to start with at least a round-about address. Look on Google maps first, to get some landmarks, then from there go to the dorchester county site.
There are some good shooting ranges around, one being Palmetto Gun Club off Hwy 61. I took my CWP there a few weeks ago, they have about a dozen pistol ranges. Membership is a bit pricey though.
What ever you do, do not trespass! In SC, you can get shot just for that. My father owns property on 61 and constantly having to chase people off the land, then post new signs because people tear the old ones down, its a pain in the a**. Hell, we even had an entire gate and posts stolen. I don't take kindly to trespassers, and if I catch them, I will hold them until the Sheriff arrives, then prosecute to the fullest extent. Just word to the wise, my friend.