Thinking About Adopting a New Golden-Dog [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About Adopting a New Golden-Dog

Goldendog Redux
11-08-2009, 20:22
While our Sage has not been gone long we have always known a new critter would come.

We adopted Norton (yellow lab) two years ago. He was a challenge but has turned out to be a great dog. We still cannot leave him in the yard with our steadfastly good English Lab Dallas when we are gone because he (Norton) likes to jump the fence and eat goat poop down the street and who know what else.

Clients of my wife tried to give us their male golden retriever a year and a half ago. It turned out they were allergic to the dog so he never goes indoors and is always on a leash while on walks etc.

The issue has come up again and my wife says the golden is the best looking golden around and has "really good eyes". She is a good judge of dog character and she is the pack leader at home.

We will likely schedule a slumber party with the new golden to see how he does at home with the two other dogs and the cats.

We want a female but we keep ending up with males.

We live on almost two acres and have open land on which we walk our beasts daily. We walk about a mile but the dogs go twice that, lots of rabbits to chase.

Providing the dog a good home is not an issue, I am just leery about three male dogs I guess.

Just thinking aloud,

MF

Fishslayer
11-09-2009, 13:57
Are they intact or neutered?

Most of the dog people I know would say it's more the individual dogs than sex or breed. The owners, too.

Goldendog Redux
11-09-2009, 18:33
All dogs in question are fixed. Not sure about the owners of the golden though.

MF

Platz
11-17-2009, 18:41
The gender won't be an issue if you have calm-submissive dogs (boy if that didn't sound like cesar...). It can be an issue if you have dominant dog, or dogs that don't fit in well with a "pack." Issues can be worked through with patience and training. Golden retrievers typically aren't problem causers, nor are labradors, and by nature are submissive though not "calm."