Those "CHEAP PLASTIC SIGHTS". [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Those "CHEAP PLASTIC SIGHTS".

OVERTHEHILLGUY
11-09-2009, 17:14
How many times have we read "the first thing i do is remove those god-awful cheap plastic sights"

But......are they that bad? How many of you have broke the plastic sights thru no fault but your own, IE dropping the pistol and etc.? My opinion is that they are just fine the way they are for the average shooter. For recreational shooter, the plinker, and the weekend shooter these sights are good to go right from the box.

For a home defense pistol, night sights with a tac light would be the way to go.

I can see no purpose to spending $100.00+ on sights I don't really need. I would rather use that money to buy much needed ammo.

:eat:HAPPY THANKSGIVING FELLOW GLOCKERS AND GLOCKETES. :fred: OVERTHEHILLGUY:fred:

soundwave
11-09-2009, 17:17
All of my Glocks have aftermarket sights. My competition guns (G34 and G35 for USPSA) have Heinie rears and Dawson Precision FO fronts. My HD/SD guns all wear Ameriglo Pro Operartor night sights.

The plastic sights may fit the bill for some uses, just not any of mine.

04LS1GTO
11-09-2009, 17:26
I actually kind of like my plastic sights, but they are going to be replaced with Trijicons as soon as I buy a sight pusher.

multo17
11-09-2009, 17:28
I don't really mind the plastic sights on my 2 glocks!:cool:

fran m
11-09-2009, 17:28
Never had a problem with them breaking. The front sight did wear out on my first G17 Duty gun I guess from holstering. It just got smaller and smaller.

OD GASTON
11-09-2009, 17:31
Never had a problem with the plastic sights! Very accurate too.

deputy tom
11-09-2009, 17:38
Back when Glocks first became available here in the US,a friend of mine bought one and broke the front sight off within a very short period of time.That told me the plastic sights were the weakest part on the Glock pistol.When I started buying Glocks I had the sights replaced right away and continue to do so.YMMV.tom.:cool:

arlessinfl
11-09-2009, 17:47
Front sight on my g21 broke off after about 10 holstering/unholsterings.

glocks rock
11-09-2009, 17:47
I've heard Glock perfection stops at the top of the slide. I agree. I always replace mine with XS or Heinie. Just my opinion.

krunchnik
11-09-2009, 17:50
trijicon and meprolite on both of mine,it was the first thing I did besides shooting them.I am not a plastic sight fan.

Vesticles
11-09-2009, 18:21
"the first thing i do is remove those god-awful cheap plastic sights"

Wasn't the first thing I did with mine, but did put Trijicons on mine about 3 months after getting it. Can't really say the stock ones were bad, I just didn't like the sight picture compared to the Trijicons... that and night sites are cooler.:smoking:

JBnTX
11-09-2009, 18:25
The stock plastic sights work just fine for me.
I'll only change them if they break.

Duck of Death
11-09-2009, 18:26
My last G34 the front sight was replaced w/fiber optic for quick pick up. Left OEM rear. So far so good.:)

MrVvrroomm
11-09-2009, 18:27
You'll get exactly what you pay for with the oem Glock plastic sights.

Joe Kidd
11-09-2009, 18:29
I thought the whole "front factory sights fall off" was BS until mine fell off my 21 the other day. :crying: Probably just going to replace with a factory steel screw on.

Jon_R
11-09-2009, 18:38
I thought the whole "front factory sights fall off" was BS until mine fell off my 21 the other day. :crying: Probably just going to replace with a factory steel screw on.

I snapped the front sight off my G23. I was taking a class and we where required to draw the weapon weak hand only simulating you lost use of your strong arm and still need to fight. To do it you partially pull it out rotate it 180 degrees re-adjust your hand and draw it cross draw. I was using a hard kydex holster and it got snapped off in one of the turns and after the drill I had to go back to my backup.

I replaced all my glocks with Warren Tactical sights. On my G35 I went with a FO front sight. I like them.

DasBulk
11-09-2009, 18:41
My 19 came with them. I honestly liked them, but my front sight would turn sometimes. Like the sight was loose or the bottom of it that keys into the oval slot was worn. I straightened it a few times before broke down and ordered some Heinies S8 Tritiums. Couldn't be happier.
Though I have to say, invest in a sight pusher. The extra bill dropped on a good pusher is worth it.

southern_boy
11-09-2009, 18:43
i like my factory sights, i have carryed my 26 the way it has came for 2 years with no issues

i have been thinking of night sights but i aint real sure of witch ones i want. and now the top mount lazer sight has came out im thinkin about geting it and putin it on and haveing the back strap shaved/stippled off and leting mom have that one and geting me another G26 or a G19. and have also thought about the 10mm or 40 cal glocks just to have something i can justify switching the barrels on to shoot lead. damn i hate being poor and wanting alot of guns.

dances with guns
11-09-2009, 18:45
my rear plastic sight popped out twice

the plastic front sight will also wear down with repeated holster presentations.

i now have trijicons.

i don't think you'll find a police dept in this country that keeps the original plastic glock sights on.

not sure why the maker of some of the most durable pistols in the world chooses to stick some cheap ass plastic sights on them....

ecmills
11-09-2009, 20:14
Most of us don't replace them because of liability concerns. We replace them because the sight picture sucks.

Noodles McGee
11-09-2009, 20:16
the only thing I've ever broken on a Glock is the plastic sights. 2guns at that!

tampashooters
11-09-2009, 20:46
True Story...

Many years ago, I went out and purchased my First BRAND NEW glock 26, I was so proud, I just had to show my buddy who had one. I get down to his house after just purchasing it and find that the front sight is missing, it fell out between the shop and his house, while in the case...

That was enough for me, I now change out all my sights with steel sights.

Of course the new Plastic stocks sights are now screwed on and not pinned, so I probably won't worry anymore about changing them out.

Boxerglocker
11-09-2009, 21:52
Most of us don't replace them because of liability concerns. We replace them because the sight picture sucks.

:thumbsup: that's the truth, the whole truth and nothin......

AustinTx
11-09-2009, 22:01
I rather like the plastic adjustable sights. If I ever have one break or fall off, I will probably replace it with the same thing. My oldest is around 12 years old and never had any problem. I don't mind the price either. The Glock has the smallest adjustable sight that I ever remember seeing. They don't rust and they do work as to aligning the barrel with a target.

ronin.45
11-09-2009, 22:41
I always replace the front sight with the factory steel. I had a plastic front fly off my 17 while shooting a plate match. Ever since it's steel for me. I hear the newer glocks have plastic bolt on front sights which may solve the problem.

djpuffnstuff
11-09-2009, 22:46
I have the stock plastic sights and like them. I really only use my G19 for concealed carry and when I go to the range I am aiming for center mass and not so much bulls eye. I am able to re-acquire the front side very quickly after each shot.

The only sights I have even considered are the XS Big dots. I would not spend 60 dollars or more for glow in the dark sights.

artcarney
11-09-2009, 23:25
I personally don't like the sight picture with the stock Glock sights. I like a little bit of "open space" between the sides of the front sight and the notch in the rear sight. I also like a three dot arrangement.

So to make a long story just a bit longer, I had Trijicons installed before I ever shot the gun.

David

AZMAN
11-09-2009, 23:30
How many times have we read "the first thing i do is remove those god-awful cheap plastic sights"

But......are they that bad? How many of you have broke the plastic sights thru no fault but your own, IE dropping the pistol and etc.? My opinion is that they are just fine the way they are for the average shooter. For recreational shooter, the plinker, and the weekend shooter these sights are good to go right from the box.

For a home defense pistol, night sights with a tac light would be the way to go.

I can see no purpose to spending $100.00+ on sights I don't really need. I would rather use that money to buy much needed ammo.

:eat:HAPPY THANKSGIVING FELLOW GLOCKERS AND GLOCKETES. :fred: OVERTHEHILLGUY:fred:

What he said

DustyDawg48
11-10-2009, 08:15
So far so good with my stock sites. I shoot IDPA and they have been very accurate on my 21; more so than my 1911 factory sites. I haven't shot one with night sites and I know several that won't own one without them. I'll have to see what happens if my sites ever fail me.

Brucev
11-10-2009, 08:58
My G-22 currently has the issue Glock polymer sights. I am extremely reluctant to replace them as from the factory this pistol arrived perfectly sighted with POA=POI using 180 gr. loads. I am only considering replacing the sights due to my need to have a little more light on the sides of the front sight. Because this G-22 is our HD/SD pistol, I am also concerned about being able to see/use the sights in low/no light. I will likely replace the sights with the Glock Meprolight sight set... but I will first find out what sort of sight picture the front/rear sights offer. If it is to tight, I will likely go with a pair of Straight 8's or maybe a XS BD. Given the intended use of this pistol, I have also been giving a lot of consideration to simply installing some sort of laser sight, but that is an entirely different discussion. Sincerely. Brucev.

ede
11-10-2009, 09:11

a wise man made that statement

A6Gator
11-10-2009, 09:21
Glocks are a bit like Harley-Davidsons. The first thing everybody I know did w/a Harley was swap out the pipes and the air cleaner (w/remap for the fuel injection guys). With Glocks it's, swap out the sights and do something w/the crappy trigger.

Bren
11-10-2009, 09:31

I've been using the Glock plastic sights for about 20 years and my wife will only use them on her 2 Glocks. These are not guns that stay in the gun safe. Every Glock I've ever owned was either a police duty gun, being used in security holsters (can be hard on finishes and sights), a CCW gun, or a competition gun being drawn thousands of times and firing several thousand rounds every year and being used in classes requiring up to 750 rounds of ammo per day. NEVER, not one time, has one of those sights come off, broken, or even worn to the point of needing replacement.

I have put metal sights on 1 Glock, out of several we have owned or still own, and that was only to get a thin front sight for competition. My 27 has night sights, but only because they were on it when I bought it from a Glocktalker a few years ago.

CharlestonG26
11-10-2009, 09:39
I had Meprolight night sights installed on my G26 and G19 when purchasing both pistols. I decided to leave the stock sights on my G23. So far, I've been satisfied with the performance of the stock sights. FWIW...I don't consider any of my Glocks to be precision shooting instruments.

MoCop
11-10-2009, 10:10
I still have my plastic sights on my 26. They're fine, but I'll get aftermarket ones sometime down the road.

s0nspark
11-10-2009, 12:39
I liked the sight picture at first after getting my first Glock but came to want more daylight on each sight of the front sight... I moved to a custom Ameriglo Pro Operator combo (ProGlo front, plain rear) and absolutely love it.

Also, I wouldn't recommend anyone try racking the slide one-handed using the stock sights... :-)

Range Rat
11-10-2009, 13:01
I still have the plastic ones on mine but if they fall off, I will upgrade to something nice.

TangoFoxtrot
11-10-2009, 16:33

Well than sir you just go right ahead and keep using your cheapo plastic sights and enjoy. Happy Turkey day to you too !:supergrin:

MrVvrroomm
11-10-2009, 16:38
I would not spend 60 dollars or more for glow in the dark sights.Dear Big Spender:
You apparently don't use your Glock for self-defense. I suppose the first time you pull the trigger in the dark you will light up the bad guy.

Night sights are priceless on a combat pistol.

CBennett
11-10-2009, 16:42
Was one of the first things I replaced. I didnt care for the style to begin with and I like my Warren Tacticals much better.

G36_Me
11-10-2009, 20:38
I might as well chime in. Before my first range trip, before the first shot, changed the sites to Trijicon front and back. Also, before first shot, changed the trigger pull with a new connector. After taking the Armorer course, found out it was a Ghost connector. The gun shoots like a champ. Gun = G36.

jhayesvw
11-10-2009, 20:41
My last G34 the front sight was replaced w/fiber optic for quick pick up. Left OEM rear. So far so good.:)

on my competition gun (G19) i have a fiber optic front (HIVIZ) and a stock rear sight that i turned around backward so its all black.
worked good enough for me to win my SSP class this past weekend.

AustinTx
11-10-2009, 20:43
a wise man made that statement

Originally Posted by ecmills

That doesn't sound particularly wise, to me, but whatever you think.

tadbart
11-10-2009, 20:47
i like the ball-in-a-bucket sights. if anything, i'd replace the front sight with a little bigger glow in the dark sight. not a thing in the world wrong with the rear sight, in my opinion.

Kegs
11-10-2009, 21:33
Never had a problem with the plastic sights! Very accurate too.

Accuracy is easy...PRECISION is the hard part...This is why cheap plastic sights will never do for me.

Happy thanksgiving to all of you too!!!

Jimbo45
11-10-2009, 21:42

The poly sights are fine for some people, much like yourself. That is good. However, some people NEED steel and or night sights, so they buy them. Don't hold it against someone, or insinuate that it is unnecessary, for those that NEED a better sight, to install them. You like your stock poly sights....good, no one will make fun...at least I won't. :yawn:

sigcalcatrant
11-10-2009, 23:03
But......are they that bad? How many of you have broke the plastic sights thru no fault but your own, IE dropping the pistol and etc.?

Are they that bad? No, they're worse! They're cheap, flimsy, and fragile. They don't have to be dropped to break off. A minor bump is all it takes.

pcboss2
11-10-2009, 23:14
I've had my G19 since "96 and I've had no problems with my stock plastic sights. I just learned to shoot with them. Don't really use them for quick shots and can hit bottles from 100 yards. I'll change them if they break. All stock....

Taykaim
11-11-2009, 00:40
My first two glocks (17 and 19) had stock sights for nearly 20 years. I replaced the sights on the 19 only this last year when I had cause to draw at night on a dark night and realized I needed some night sights in a bad way. After nearly 20 years and around 100k rounds through each of them including lots of new and first time shooters the sights were in no way worn. They never shifted or needed even the slightest bit of care. I'm not sure what kind of holsters cause problems for the stock sights, but none of mine ever did even with daily wear over many years.

Nothing wrong with wanting metal sights though. I cant help but think that if the stock sights were really so bad there would be more widely talked about problems, and maybe even a factory option for metal sights.

Bren
11-11-2009, 01:18
Are they that bad? No, they're worse! They're cheap, flimsy, and fragile. They don't have to be dropped to break off. A minor bump is all it takes.

Well, leave it to me to say yoou don't know what you're talking about. mI've got a lot of years with a lot of Glocks seeing a lot of hard use and what you said is just plain BS. Anybody who has used Glocks with stock sights foor a few years knows it as well.

kendric98
11-11-2009, 01:25
Droped my G22 on the tiled bathroom floor once and it landed right on the front sight and mangled it bad enough to make it useless. After i went and picked up some trits and was never happyer.

kendric98
11-11-2009, 01:27
I am still using the plastic ones on my g19 and there still nice and tite. There not impact resistant however.

sigcalcatrant
11-11-2009, 07:57
Well, leave it to me to say yoou don't know what you're talking about. mI've got a lot of years with a lot of Glocks seeing a lot of hard use and what you said is just plain BS. Anybody who has used Glocks with stock sights foor a few years knows it as well.Nope, it's the truth. But then, I USE my handguns, I don't play with them.

Evela
11-11-2009, 08:34
Regardless of the few post where "I breathed on it and it fell out", the plastic sights serve most everyone quite well, and are super easy and super cheap to replace if need be.

The usual change is to a front night sight like Ameriglo. The plastic rear sight rarely needs changing.

s0nspark
11-11-2009, 08:45
The plastic rear sight rarely needs changing.

Not so if we are talking about a carry gun and you practice one-handed malfunction clearing drills (as everyone should) ;-)

AustinTx
11-11-2009, 21:20
Nope, it's the truth. But then, I USE my handguns, I don't play with them.

You probably need to play with them more. They'll begin to think you don't like them. :snoopy:

sigcalcatrant
11-11-2009, 21:44
You probably need to play with them more. They'll begin to think you don't like them. :snoopy::rofl:

ChaneyD
11-11-2009, 22:51
We were taught in the military to do point shooting. Catch the bad guy with the front sight and dust him. Point shooting is more natural for us than the competition stance where front and rear sight are utilized. In a bad situation which usually would happen at night, no matter what your sights are, rarely will they help. I guarantee you you won't face a bad guy in the normal target stance you use when shooting at the gun range. You will instinctly raise your weapon when confronted and not even think about lining the sights up. You won't have time. So learning to point shoot is a must if you carry.

AustinTx
11-11-2009, 23:45
We were taught in the military to do point shooting. Catch the bad guy with the front sight and dust him. Point shooting is more natural for us than the competition stance where front and rear sight are utilized. In a bad situation which usually would happen at night, no matter what your sights are, rarely will they help. I guarantee you you won't face a bad guy in the normal target stance you use when shooting at the gun range. You will instinctly raise your weapon when confronted and not even think about lining the sights up. You won't have time. So learning to point shoot is a must if you carry.

I believe this to be true. When the bullets start flying by, you won't even think about a sight. Get to where you can look at your target, bring your gun to where you are looking and pull the trigger. Try it sometime, fast enough that you don't think to aim. Just look, point and shoot. You may be surprised at the result.

green marauder
11-13-2009, 23:58
I kept my plastic, just added a little something extra... :wavey:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn153/Glock-N/MAKOMount036.jpg

SIGShooter
11-14-2009, 04:00
Before I got into the whole...You need to have night sights on your carry gun...The stock Glock plastic sights are all I ever used.

They work great. I never had a single problem with them.

I have a friend of mine who dropped his Glock at an IDPA match (Actually he fell) and when the gun hit the ground he broke the tritium vial inside the sight.

Anything can happen. No matter how strong or weak the link is...It can/will break.

The stock plastic sights are great.

O'DubhGhaill
11-16-2009, 12:14
I think the OEM plastic sights are a great idea because they lower the price of the Glock for someone who knows they are going to replace the OEM plastic sights either outright or down the road.

Out of the box, my G26 rear plastic sight was dinged on the inside edge of the aperature, making the sight picture irregular - I believe it was riding against the cleaning rod or brush in the case. I didn't sweat it since I knew I was going to replace the sights anyway. Did make me think how they'd hold up under concealed carry conditions, but not much.

ArmstrongBob
11-21-2009, 22:03

If you need sights to hit the "bad guy" you should be using your feet.

Now admit it; we are just having fun. I am a nut with respect to my preference of the POA/POI; it is expensive. Add mature eyes and it gets more expensive. The Ameriglo Classics with the thin front sigt work best for me. But beware you can calculate all you want but be prepared to change either the front or rear sight to get it just right for you.

RMTactical
11-24-2009, 13:27
I like the Glock stock sights.

squirrelsniper
11-29-2009, 02:53
For most shooters, the plastic sights are just fine. Aside from just wanting a different sight picture, there's not much reason to change them.

On the other hand, for hard use weapons, they suck miserably. Anyone who has ever removed the plastic front sight can tell you just how easy they are to remove. They won't break, but you can rip them right out of the slide. FYI, my standard method of removal of the factory front sight is... grab sight with needle-nose pliars and pull. Weapons that are for hard use such as SWAT/SRT or military weapons will end up losing front sights. The plastic rear sights aren't much better either, as they are too easy to move in the dovetail. If you FUBAR a room entry and bump your weapon into a door frame or you get into a ground fight with your weapon holstered (depending on holster), your rear sight can get moved enough to severely affect POI. I actually saw one rear sight get knocked so far over that it fell out when the pistol fired... luckily it was practice.

Evela
11-29-2009, 07:42
Aren't you amazed to see all the emotion expended by the anti-polymer crowd. The stock sights are fine, very inexpensive and easy to replace if need be.

Probably the most sensible swap out would be the front sight (the one that is most likely to suffer wear, etc.) for say a nice steel Ameriglo night sight. Cost me $29 and now I'm good to go under any conditions.

s0nspark
11-29-2009, 09:02
Aren't you amazed to see all the emotion expended by the anti-polymer crowd. The stock sights are fine, very inexpensive and easy to replace if need be.

Probably the most sensible swap out would be the front sight (the one that is most likely to suffer wear, etc.) for say a nice steel Ameriglo night sight. Cost me $29 and now I'm good to go under any conditions.

The stock sights are supplied as a cost-saving move, nothing more. They may be fine if you are incredibly careful or lucky but they should be replaced. Yes, they are, in fact, easy to replace in part because they remove easily :-D

The only thing the stock sights have going for them is the "ball and bucket" sight picture , if you actually like that kind of thing. Last I heard MMC/PT Night Sights could be ordered in a similar configuration.

... and BTW I'm not being emotional or "anti-polymer" here - I do love and own Glocks after all - but you have to draw the line where function requires. I call it being pragmatic :-)

Your suggestion of Ameriglos as an affordable alternative is one I would heartily second - they are a great company to deal with and they offer a wide variety of sight options...

Mr540i
02-24-2010, 05:35
Why couldn't Glock use metal stock sights?

PTRJason
02-26-2010, 09:18
I bought my Glock Dec of 2002, new. Glock 22. I have been using the stock plastic sights for LE/Duty Carry since I bought it. Never had a problem them and qualified fine. Only recently since I changed to a different holster has wear started on the front sight as it was getting snagged on the thumb snap of the holster when I drew it (Safariland 295).

On one of my former departments I was issued a Glock 22 with Trijicons. Did not get any time to practice with the new sight picture and had to qualify three times in a row before I passed as it was a little bit of an adjustment.

Now for my Glock 22 I am looking into Trijicons for duty carry and will probably get them in a week or so... I want green front and yellow rear. If I can find a place around me to put them on, the closest place said that they only sell green and did not even know orange or yellow were available :wow:

9mmkungfu
02-26-2010, 09:31
My front sight broke off but I dropped it on concrete :/

W4CNG
02-26-2010, 12:27
Both my Twin G-19's came with Metal fronts with a screw securing them just like the aftermarket FO Front's. I have Dawson FO on the front of one and Tritium on the other. The adjustable rears are still on there. The first G-19 was bought August 2008 and it's Twin was bought in September of 2009. Looks like Glock has changed things a bit for the better.

RayB
02-26-2010, 17:42
I can hit just fine with the stock sights; but IMO, theyíre cheesy looking. Iíve always replaced them at once, or purchased a model with OEM night sights. :whistling:

Let me say that I have noticed that local cops and armed guards tend to leave the stock sights on their Glocks. Clearly, they are not considered a liability. :eyebrow:

In my perfect world, Iíd like to see stock metal sights, with the Glockís front sight set into a dovetail or recessed well, rather than just sitting atop the slide as it does. On the full-sized models, Iíd like to see front cocking serrations on the slide. But thatís me. :dunno:

Given that Iíve purchased three Glocks, and would buy another, you could say that Iím an enthusiast! :wavey:

--Ray