Hog Hunting optics??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hog Hunting optics???

eforney
11-10-2009, 09:48
Got the same thread going in optics and not getting a response so figured I'd ask here.
Ok I know the whole ACOG vs Aimpoint debate has been discussed a million times:deadhorse: This is more for a specific application.

The glass will be going on a 458 Socom, so range will not be longer than 200 yards, realistically 150 max. So I am not sure if I need magnification. I will be doing some night hunting (no night vision yet just a good flashlight) as well as day.

So lets hear the opinions ACOG or Aimpoint?

My main concern was target acquisition with the ACOG. How would it compare to the Aimpoint. Right now I have the mini red dot that came with my Sig 556, seems kinda like the Aimpoint Micro. Should I stick with this or go with the ACOG or a M2? Thanks guys.

vafish
11-10-2009, 09:57
150 yards a good red dot sight will work just fine.

I'd stick with the mini red dot sight on your Sig 556 and see how it works. If you find it lacking then upgrade to an ACOG or other sight with magnification.

I'd also consider one of the 1-4X illuminated reticule scopes. Set down to 1x (usually really 1.25 or 1.5x) they work similar to a red dot sight, set at 4x they will work like the ACOG.

Hogs I shot were with a bolt action rifle and a 3-9X scope on one rifle and a 4x-12x on the other.

eforney
11-10-2009, 10:00
I'd also consider one of the 1-4X illuminated reticule scopes. Set down to 1x (usually really 1.25 or 1.5x) they work similar to a red dot sight, set at 4x they will work like the ACOG.

My concern with something like this was the eye relief. Don't want to get scoped by the 458. Also quick target acquisition for follow up shots if I run into a sounder.

noway
11-10-2009, 14:03
How quick of a follow up do you plan using a 458caliber?

As far as optics goes, you need to take into consideration size of game and distance and the fov at that yardage.

Following up on a hog running at 100yards on 10x power is going to be very limiting than a hog at 50yards @ 2x using a 458mag for example.

eforney
11-10-2009, 16:34
How quick of a follow up do you plan using a 458caliber?

As far as optics goes, you need to take into consideration size of game and distance and the fov at that yardage.

Following up on a hog running at 100yards on 10x power is going to be very limiting than a hog at 50yards @ 2x using a 458mag for example.

More for a follow up shot on another hog if I run into a bunch. Should not be too bad to get a quick second or third shot off.

Never mentioned anything about a 10x scope. Only looking at the Aimpoints, ACOGS, and Eotech's.

noway
11-10-2009, 17:03
More for a follow up shot on another hog if I run into a bunch. Should not be too bad to get a quick second or third shot off.

Never mentioned anything about a 10x scope. Only looking at the Aimpoints, ACOGS, and Eotech's.

the 10x and 2x comparison was just that a comparison, as your FOV is shorten, it's harder to "reconnect" on moving animals or from recoil. Not sure as to how much recoil a 458scom has but I bet it's much more than a 223 for example.

vafish
11-11-2009, 07:14

Eye relief on a 4X ACOG is only 1.5", and then you lose the close and fast option of a red dot, unless you can learn the Bindon Aiming Concept.

If you go with a red dot like the Aimpoint or Eotech you have unlimited eye relief, but you don't have any magnification unless you add a separate magnifier. Then you have the short eye relief again.

The Millet 1-4X tactical scope has an eye relief of 3.5"

The Millet would give you the best of both worlds, with the illuminated dot-donut reticule and setting it down to 1X it works pretty much like a red dot sight such as the Aimpoint. Leave it set on 1X for stalking and crank it up to 4x if you have a long shot.

Leupold also makes a 1-4X tactical scope called the Mark 4 CQ/T. It has any eye relief of 2-2.8"

http://swfa.com/Leupold-Mark-4-CQT-Riflescopes-C123.aspx

For what you want to do I think either a 1-4X scope like the Millet or Leupold or a red dot like an Aim Point or Eotech with a 3x magnifier would work just fine.

For my money I'd go with the Millet because it is about 1/4 the cost of the other options.

eforney
11-11-2009, 07:28
Eye relief on a 4X ACOG is only 1.5", and then you lose the close and fast option of a red dot, unless you can learn the Bindon Aiming Concept.

If you go with a red dot like the Aimpoint or Eotech you have unlimited eye relief, but you don't have any magnification unless you add a separate magnifier. Then you have the short eye relief again.

The Millet 1-4X tactical scope has an eye relief of 3.5"

The Millet would give you the best of both worlds, with the illuminated dot-donut reticule and setting it down to 1X it works pretty much like a red dot sight such as the Aimpoint. Leave it set on 1X for stalking and crank it up to 4x if you have a long shot.

Leupold also makes a 1-4X tactical scope called the Mark 4 CQ/T. It has any eye relief of 2-2.8"

http://swfa.com/Leupold-Mark-4-CQT-Riflescopes-C123.aspx

For what you want to do I think either a 1-4X scope like the Millet or Leupold or a red dot like an Aim Point or Eotech with a 3x magnifier would work just fine.

For my money I'd go with the Millet because it is about 1/4 the cost of the other options.

Good info thanks. After doing a little more research I have been leaning more towards the 1-4 type of scope. Wonder if the Millet will hold up to the recoil? Leupold also has a nice 1-4 shotgun scope that is not as tacticool, but I don't doubt that it could withstand the beating from the 458S.

vafish
11-12-2009, 09:41
Good info thanks. After doing a little more research I have been leaning more towards the 1-4 type of scope. Wonder if the Millet will hold up to the recoil? Leupold also has a nice 1-4 shotgun scope that is not as tacticool, but I don't doubt that it could withstand the beating from the 458S.

I don't have any personal experience with the Millet, but the folks over at AR15.com seem to love it.