Something new?? Federal HST XM40HA [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Something new?? Federal HST XM40HA

Dreamaster
11-10-2009, 14:12
Found this clip on another site: "The XM40HA is a 135 gr. HST that I chrono'd at 1130 fps. Respectable, but not screaming along like CorBon. According to one site where it can be found, it was developed for the Border Patrol and their HK 2000's. Don't know what happened, since it's my understanding they now use the Rem. JHP."

SDGlock23
11-10-2009, 16:31
Some pop up every now and then, last bunch I saw was from cheaper than dirt. As for the speed, it's my opinion that because of the 135's poor sectional density, it does better not going all that fast, since moving it faster would limit penetration.

fastbolt
11-10-2009, 17:00
Probably hoping to compete in the LE market place since Winchester received an order from the ICE division of DHS for up to 200 million rounds of their 135gr JHP load over the next 5 years.

http://www.winchester.com/news/newsview.aspx?storyid=273

I knew some feds had been ordering and using some lighter weight .40 S&W loads than the 155gr JHP loads they previously preferred, but I wasn't keeping up on their exact company/bullet design preferences in the way of the lighter 135gr loads (which, as noted, develop somewhat less velocity than some alternative lightweight .40 loads, but that's because the feds apparently felt it was better for their needs and specified it that way).

eamonher
04-17-2010, 00:10
i bought some of these. what are the disadvantages if anything from a lighter load? they will be coming out of the g23

glocksterr
04-17-2010, 05:09
for those numbers you might as well stick with the luger.

:whistling:

135gr. @ 1130 is slow for four-tay.

gatorboy
04-17-2010, 07:37
Federal has a bonded +P 9mm that does that. I'd rather have a 135 with the sectional density of the 9mm. These loads are marginal at best for someone who owns a .40, is recoil shy and will use them for HD. God forbid these are used where heavy clothing or barriers may be involved. Not for me thanks! I was given all weights of HST's and the 135, 155 and 165 all have about the same velocity. The 180's are slower but expand the largest in my experience.

N.D.Glock23
04-26-2010, 20:44
Some pop up every now and then, last bunch I saw was from cheaper than dirt. As for the speed, it's my opinion that because of the 135's poor sectional density, it does better not going all that fast, since moving it faster would limit penetration.

I haven't heard very much about this new round by fed. but I have looked into the Corbon 135's . .

It's my understanding that another theory is in existence . . .

The light 135 gr screamer 1300+ FPS rounds that Corbon loads, don't lose too much of the pen. ability because as they travel through the target after expansion reaches a certain point (thus creating energy transfer or drag if you prefer), expansion continues to progress, but as drag puts a certain level of stress on the expanded metal petals, bits and pieces of those petals begin to break/spin off into the target, at which point the lower momentum of the lower bullet mass is beginning to be some what compensated for by the lessening amount of the resistance/drag on the projectile so that the projectile still gets a deeper amount of pen than it would if it opened up to 1-1.5" @ 135gr's and stayed completely intact at that diameter/amount of drag for it's entire trip through the target.
I heard glowing AAR's from a LEA about the 135 .40 Corbon round, as their primary duty load so I decided to give it a try, so I carry the 135gr +P .40 S&W Corbon round when I carry my G23 and I do not feel at a disadvantage for serious Social work, unless I would have to shoot through sheet steel at oblique angles, and since I am not LE, the odds of that are pretty low, but make no mistake about it, at close range and at or near 90* impact angles that round WILL easily penetrate a car door, and any one on the other side will not be all safe, cozy & comfy.

That being said I also looked into the Corbon 165gr +P .45 apc round and that 1 clocks over 1200 FPS out of a 5" and essentially behaves the same way as the Corbon 135gr .40S&W @ 1300+fps, and still penetrates 13" in Jello, what was the former FBI min., and what is the new current FBI min. in Jello?

The only caveat that I can see is W a lighter weight high speed/energy bullet is that you need the bullet to be tough enough to maintain enough weight to give the needed pen with a wide enough margin for the intended purpose of it.
tough heavy fast for weight bullets are usually designed to penetrate barriers better and for a cop or trooper that's extremely important, but each individual civilian CC 'er has to decide how much barrier penetration they really feel they need Vs how much energy they want to apply . .
or perhaps a better way to put it is every one load up W what they trust and feel they need.

When you go to a lighter weight bullet but don't ramp up the speed to compensate what you get is a round that has lower recoil, flash, energy, but yes it will usually penetrate deeper than it would at higher speeds and stay intact if the speed is low enough or unless the bullet was designed to be more fragile in order to enhance expansion at lower speeds, so it's all a balancing act, there are no free lunches as they say.
:wavey:
N.D.