NBI agent slain in jeepney heist [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NBI agent slain in jeepney heist

PMMA97
11-10-2009, 14:33
NBI agent slain in jeepney heist
(The Philippine Star) Updated November 11, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - An agent of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) was killed Monday night when he tried to fight off three men who robbed the passengers of a jeepney in Tondo, Manila.

Witness Medilo Marciano said when the three robbers announced the heist, Special Investigator 3 Gil Yanesa, 49, refused to give his wallet and his cell phone. Marciano said when Yanesa reached for his gun, one of the robbers stabbed him, and another grabbed the victim’s gun and shot him. The robbers then took turns stabbing Yanesa, who was left inside the jeepney as the other passengers scampered out of the vehicle.

The remains of Yanesa, who was assigned to the NBI-Anti Kidnapping, Hijacking and Armed Robbery Division, were brought to the NBI chapel before noon yesterday.

While there were reports that the NBI has been holding at least two suspects in Yanesa’s slay, none of the bureau’s officials confirmed them.

“We are still investigating the matter. We don’t want to compromise our operations as this involved our comrade,” said an NBI official who requested anonymity.

Chief Inspector Erwin Margarejo, head of the Manila Police District homicide section, said three suspects were arrested during subsequent follow-up operations. The suspects’ names were not released. – Sandy Araneta, Nestor Etolle

PMMA97
11-10-2009, 14:34
NBI hunts killers of agent

By Tina Santos
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 22:01:00 11/10/2009

MANILA, Philippines——The National Bureau of Investigation is on the hunt for the killers of one of its operatives who was stabbed and shot him dead with his own gun during a robbery in Manila Monday night.

Two suspects in the killing of Special Investigator III Gil Yanesa, who was also a dentist, were reportedly in the custody of the bureau. However, no official would confirm it, saying that they were still conducting an investigation.

"We don't want to compromise our operations as this involved our comrade," said one official, who declined to be identified by name.

The remains of Yanesa, assigned to the NBI-Anti Kidnapping, Hijacking and Armed Robbery Division (NBI-AKHARD), 49, was brought to the chapel at NBI’s headquarters on Taft Avenue before noon Tuesday.

A Mass attended by his family, bureau officials and employees was held at the chapel in the afternoon.

An investigation being conducted by the Manila Police District showed that Yanesa was aboard a passenger jeepney on his way home on Gabriel Street in Tondo when the robbery happened.

The robbers, who were armed with knives, announced the heist while the vehicle was cruising along Road 10 near Lakandula Street, police said.

According to witness Medilo Marciano, 44, after the suspects announced the heist, the passengers immediately handed their valuables. However, Yanesa declined to give his wallet and mobile phone.

Marciano said Yanesa tried to reach for his gun, prompting one of the robbers to stab him. Another robber grabbed the victim's gun and shot him.

Police said the robbers took turns in stabbing the victim, who was left inside the jeepney as the other passengers scampered for safety.

The victim was pronounced dead on arrival at the Gat Andres Bonifacio Hospital in Tondo, Manila.

Chief Insp. Erwin Margarejo, head of the Manila Police District homicide section, said three suspects were nabbed during subsequent follow-up operations by operations of the PNP and NBI. The suspects' names were not released.

A young boy who witnessed the robbery and killing remains in NBI custody.

BrassKnuckle
11-11-2009, 07:03
The early morning news today had footage of the PNP turning over two suspects to NBI agents. One of the suspects admitted on camera that he was indeed involved in the hold-up, though he denied that he took part in the killing of the NBI agent.

bikethief
11-11-2009, 20:52
If I'm not mistaken, he was a very good friend of one of our LEO BOG members. Mabait daw talaga na tao si Doc, as he was fondly called in the bureau, and was an asset to everyone he worked with.

Happy hunting guys.

jimbullet
11-12-2009, 01:04
Im glad that the offenders were caught immediately but it is very unfortunate that the bureau lost a fine agent.

Punisher_nbi45
11-12-2009, 15:08
Just to clarify some things--

Special Investigator III GIL C. YANESA was only 40 years old, not 49 y/o as in the news reports, when he was abruptly and brutally murdered.

He leaves behind a wife and a very young son.

He will be buried on Sunday in Bataan.

He died fighting for what he believed in. Being a dentist, he could have led a more peaceful and beneficial life.

His passion has always been to help others. He proved that on the evening of November 9, 2009, even at the cost of his own life.

He will be sorely missed.......

Rest in Peace, Doc, wherever you may be.......

jasonub
11-12-2009, 18:26
konti na nga matino sa government may nawala pa. tsk tsk tsk. Sana he let them get his wallet and cell then as they leave the jeep to escape announce himself with his pistol drawn.

Then again baka nakita ng mga $#@ na may karga siya or whatever since we were not there.

Bad trip talaga when the good guys loose.

Hope they find those responsible and be brought to justice named .45

PMMA97
11-12-2009, 19:37
Just to clarify some things--

Special Investigator III GIL C. YANESA was only 40 years old, not 49 y/o as in the news reports, when he was abruptly and brutally murdered.

He leaves behind a wife and a very young son.

He will be buried on Sunday in Bataan.

He died fighting for what he believed in. Being a dentist, he could have led a more peaceful and beneficial life.

His passion has always been to help others. He proved that on the evening of November 9, 2009, even at the cost of his own life.

He will be sorely missed.......

Rest in Peace, Doc, wherever you may be.......

Was it routine for him to commute and board a jeep?

Some friends inside the NBI who actually worked with him informed me that Doc Gil was always a prepared and calculated kind of gentleman. During operations he often wears bullet resistant vests.

I often find myself asking LEO friends in Manila to avoid commuting in public utility vehicles because of hold-ups. Iwas disgrasya na lang kumbaga.

isuzu
11-13-2009, 10:51
The early morning news today had footage of the PNP turning over two suspects to NBI agents. One of the suspects admitted on camera that he was indeed involved in the hold-up, though he denied that he took part in the killing of the NBI agent.

Classic alibi.

darth board
11-13-2009, 18:16
kababayan ko pala siya. sana kung mahuli ang mga killers wag nang paabutin pa sa presinto ipasyal na sana.

Punisher_nbi45
11-13-2009, 19:03
Was it routine for him to commute and board a jeep?

Some friends inside the NBI who actually worked with him informed me that Doc Gil was always a prepared and calculated kind of gentleman. During operations he often wears bullet resistant vests.

I often find myself asking LEO friends in Manila to avoid commuting in public utility vehicles because of hold-ups. Iwas disgrasya na lang kumbaga.

He was living in Tondo. He was just bringing home some groceries to his clinic to send to his family. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a car and no vehicle was available at that time for him to use.

What I remember most about him is that he was always ready and willing to go. You tell him that there's an op, he would be the first one to volunteer to go.

nrmcolt
11-13-2009, 22:19
sana kung mahuli ang mga killers wag nang paabutin pa sa presinto ipasyal na sana.

+1

Yep, sayang yung oxygen sa mundo para sa kanila.

Black_SIR
11-13-2009, 22:37
+1

Yep, sayang yung oxygen sa mundo para sa kanila.

heheheheheh tama bro

9MX
11-14-2009, 06:40
He was living in Tondo. He was just bringing home some groceries to his clinic to send to his family. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a car and no vehicle was available at that time for him to use.

What I remember most about him is that he was always ready and willing to go. You tell him that there's an op, he would be the first one to volunteer to go.

wait, you mean he still practices dentistry but is also employed as an agent sa NBI?

Punisher_nbi45
11-14-2009, 07:19
wait, you mean he still practices dentistry but is also employed as an agent sa NBI?

No, he doesn't practice anymore, AFAIK. He just maintains the clinic. From what I understand, that's where he lived/worked when he was still applying for the Bureau.

Minsan, pag may nakisuyo sa kanya na kasama, duon nya pinapapunta para ayusan ng ipin.

9MX
11-14-2009, 09:02
No, he doesn't practice anymore, AFAIK. He just maintains the clinic. From what I understand, that's where he lived/worked when he was still applying for the Bureau.

Minsan, pag may nakisuyo sa kanya na kasama, duon nya pinapapunta para ayusan ng ipin.

actually, if he was able to do both, ayos din. sakote na ba lahat ng suspects?

Punisher_nbi45
11-14-2009, 23:19
9mx,

Still under investigation...

I just got back from his funeral today (November 15, 2009). He was buried in the province at around 8:30 a.m.

On behalf of his family, I just want to take this time to thank everybody who offered their sympathies, whether on the internet or in private, and said their own little prayers. It means a whole heck of a lot to all of us in this line of work.

We aren't in this for the glory, nor do we expect any acknowledgment of what we do, cause we all knew what we were getting into when we got into this profession.

But believe me, we are immensely grateful whenever somebody would say, "Thank you for the job that you did." It's what makes all of this worthwhile. And it is what will help when we ourselves face the dark times in our lives.

I know Gil felt the same way.......

SEMPER FIDELIS!

9MX
11-15-2009, 04:58
Punisher,

I hope the perps get caught sooner. Agent Gil, RIP