auto shotgun??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : auto shotgun???

cosmose
11-10-2009, 16:54
i've been thinking about getting a short barrel semi-auto shotgun. and was wondering if anybody has one they use for home-defence. if so what kind? and how do you like it?
pics would be sweet:cool:

janice6
11-10-2009, 16:59
Say "SEMI-AUTO" before the ***t hits the fan.

space_weazel
11-11-2009, 00:02
I have an 11-87 that I got as a police consignment, I love it, it shoots every thing.
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii143/space_weazel/Guns/IMG_0739.jpg

aippi
11-11-2009, 00:49
I also have an 11-87P but it lives in my gun safe and only comes out to play. I love it and it is my favorite shotgun to shoot, but it is a play toy as I have 870's to trust my life to and would never trust it to any semi-auto shotgun even the 11-87P I built that runs like a Swiss Watch. I am a Remington Factory Certified Law Enforcement armorer and certified on the 870P and the 11-87P so I know both these weapons very well and make a living do this.Iif that gives some weight to the above statment then fine cause a bunch of guys on this site are not going to agree with it. Which makes me wonder how much they know about these weapons...... You consider all the opinions and advice then decide for yourself.

Hedo1
11-11-2009, 05:10
I have an 1100 that I have set up for 3 gun comps. On average it shoots about 300 rounds per year of buck. I use birdshot to train with it. It shoots about 400-500 rounds of that a year in training or classes. I also use it with a longer barrel for trap and skeet, it shoots about 1000 rounds per year doing that. It's 12 years old. I replace the springs every 2 years or so. The seals get replaced every winter whether they need it or not. Gets cleaned after every use and detail stripped before a match.

To be honest I have not had a problem with that gun that I can recall. It may have failed to cycle once or twice in 12 years due to low powered skeet loads but that's about it. ymmv but I like that gun for home defense. I've seen a lot of guys who short stroke a pump gun under pressure. Doesn't happen with an autoloader.

One guys opinion. I'd take an 870 or an 1100/11-87 and wouldn't be troubled by either. Personal preference I guess.

aippi
11-11-2009, 16:46
Hedo... shoot your 1100 from the hip and count the times it will not cycle....the first tactical weapons my HRT had were custom jobs built on the 1100. They have to be shouldered to cylce correctly. We had a drill where team members needed to move across an allyway or from cover to cover, so another team member using a corner of a building for cover would stick a shotgun out from his body around the corner without exposing himself and give covering fire for the movement. The 1100's would not cycle when fired like this. We also had a drill where the team member is down on his back and would fire the shotgun from across his chest upward into a target. there were other numerous drill these weapon could not perform. We got rid of them and went back to the 870. There have been many times when I had to get off quick shots and did not have time to shoulder my weapon and I don't want that issue when my butt is on the line. Not an issue with a pump. A fighting shotgun has to work in many situations a recreational gun does not. Just last week that lady cop at at Ft Hood was down when she was firing at that shooter and she was firing from the ground. she had a hand gun at was able to hit him ( but not kill the SOB) and if she had been armed with a shotgun she would still have had to make those shots. Recreatational shooting, hunting and practicing on a Range under Range rules gives trigger time but does little to prepare you for using one of these weapons in a fight. Again, I will not trust my life to any semi-auto shotgun.

BLACKMAGICK
11-15-2009, 03:59
I also have an 11-87P but it lives in my gun safe and only comes out to play. I love it and it is my favorite shotgun to shoot, but it is a play toy as I have 870's to trust my life to and would never trust it to any semi-auto shotgun even the 11-87P I built that runs like a Swiss Watch. I am a Remington Factory Certified Law Enforcement armorer and certified on the 870P and the 11-87P so I know both these weapons very well and make a living do this.Iif that gives some weight to the above statment then fine cause a bunch of guys on this site are not going to agree with it. Which makes me wonder how much they know about these weapons...... You consider all the opinions and advice then decide for yourself.

aippi, I believe what you're saying but could you explain why that is?

In my mind I can't see how the gun "knows" how you're shooting it, so to speak. I'm thinking pull the trigger with a string while it's sitting on some kind of rest and it should fire every time.
Is it something to do with needing recoil feedback of some sort? What is it about semi-auto sg's that would make it cycle differently depending on how it's held?

motorcyclist
11-15-2009, 07:37
[quote=aippi;14152989]Hedo... shoot your 1100 from the hip and count the times it will not cycle....the first tactical weapons my HRT had were custom jobs built on the 1100. They have to be shouldered to cylce correctly.

I've got to try this the next I shoot my 1100. My Son one time was messing around at a skeet field trying to hit clays from the hip with my 1100 and it cycled every time, but he fired only 3, maybe 4 rounds before I told him to knock it off (club rules don't alow shoot from the hip). I could see inertia drive (Benelli-A5) having problems as you'd lose energy driving the whole gun backwards. I would think gas operated would have no problems.

mixflip
11-15-2009, 11:11
I am going to take a chance with the Mossberg 930 SPX tactical. $550 - $600 is just too hard to pass up for me.

nursetim
11-15-2009, 13:01
Hedo... shoot your 1100 from the hip and count the times it will not cycle....the first tactical weapons my HRT had were custom jobs built on the 1100. They have to be shouldered to cylce correctly. We had a drill where team members needed to move across an allyway or from cover to cover, so another team member using a corner of a building for cover would stick a shotgun out from his body around the corner without exposing himself and give covering fire for the movement. The 1100's would not cycle when fired like this. We also had a drill where the team member is down on his back and would fire the shotgun from across his chest upward into a target. there were other numerous drill these weapon could not perform. We got rid of them and went back to the 870. There have been many times when I had to get off quick shots and did not have time to shoulder my weapon and I don't want that issue when my butt is on the line. Not an issue with a pump. A fighting shotgun has to work in many situations a recreational gun does not. Just last week that lady cop at at Ft Hood was down when she was firing at that shooter and she was firing from the ground. she had a hand gun at was able to hit him ( but not kill the SOB) and if she had been armed with a shotgun she would still have had to make those shots. Recreatational shooting, hunting and practicing on a Range under Range rules gives trigger time but does little to prepare you for using one of these weapons in a fight. Again, I will not trust my life to any semi-auto shotgun.

Is it a problem like limp wristing? Also, do all semi-auto suffer the same flaw?

Z71bill
11-15-2009, 18:04
Is it a problem like limp wristing? Also, do all semi-auto suffer the same flaw?

I did not know a gas operated semi-auto would have this issue -

I will test mine next time I am at the range to see if I can make it jam.

itstime
11-15-2009, 18:13
Just got a Mossberg 935SPX for under 300. I fell into that one. Have to shoot it now.

Narc1911
11-18-2009, 23:03
Remmington 11-87 or 1100, Benelli M2 or M4, or Mossberg 930 are all good guns I would trust for HD.

silversport
12-05-2009, 08:58
I'd bet it has to do with recoil...unless you shoot from the hip with a rock hard hold...if there is any give when you touch one off (and there will be) you may have a short cycle or not cycle fully...the pump uses YOU as the cycler, not gas or inertia (as in the Benelli M1Super90)...just a thought...
Bill

Truckee
12-05-2009, 12:39
aippi is right, although he doesn't need my affirmation.

We've shot auto-loaders (specifically the 11-87P) from unorthodox positions. There have been failures to extract, to eject and to feed.

silversport, you're on the track. There is a scientific explanation. But, basically, if the gun and bolt are moving in the same direction and velocity (relatively), the bolt cannot cycle.

Such complaint from combat shooters likely prodded Benelli to create its M3 (one of the motives)... the ease of auto-loaders coupled with the reliability of the pump. Under combat stress, a confusion inspiring system IMO but, this is for another discussion.

I too stick with the pump guns.

aippi
12-05-2009, 12:55
More food for thought. When you use a gas operated semi-auto you not only have to stake your life on the weapon but completely 100% on the ammo. If the round you fire as been left short a few grains of powder it may not produce the gases required to cyle the weapon. On takes a little bit off and your are dealing with a misfeed. In a pump, that same round goes "KaBoom" and you cycle the next round so the fact that round was not perfect makes little difference.

So carry a gas operated shotgun and Mr. Murphy gets to F;;; with your ammo and your wepaon. Mr. Murphy loves the semi-autos and I suspect he hates the 870

DocwithGlock
12-05-2009, 14:32
While I agree that pump guns are more reliable, my Mossy 930SPX runs like a sewing machine! I have not had a malfunction since I got it a few months ago and I have put over 500 rounds throught it (have not shot it from the hip). Personally, I would not fire from the hip unless I was being charged from close range (and was completely unable to get the gun into propper position) and even then I would problably just hit the BG with it if the the gun malfunctioned.

I wouldn't recommend using any firearm unless your train with it and know all the ins and outs.

Aside from reliability of pumps, the racking sound is a huge deterent in my mind. Then again there is something to be said for seven decently aimed shots in under a couple of seconds (I can get off seven rounds with a pump at close range in under three seconds, but I am faster and more accurate with the semi). Also, if you can only use one hand, the semi gets the edge (not easy, but doable).

byf43
12-05-2009, 14:51

While I have shot my favorite 1100 from the hip a few times (and never had a 'hiccup'), I will have to shoot both 1100s a bunch of times to see what happens.

ETA: With that said, my primary 'defensive role' scattergun is one (of several) 870s!

silversport
12-05-2009, 15:25
Don't ever count on the "Racking Sound" to do anything but give away your position...I have heard this my whole life and while I was present once when it actually worked, I chastised the officer (a friend) later for going in to get the invader with an empty weapon...YMMV but I know what I would do...
Bill

varmint6
12-05-2009, 15:52
ive got a benelli m1 and love it ..
i ve got ghost rings and a sure fire dont know about in the house but itll work great outside.

Truckee
12-05-2009, 16:18
If stealth is an issue, racking the slide can be done with about the same noise as charging a bolt on an auto-loader. Agreed, the noise of racking the slide is a target indicator but, it's only an issue the first time... the big boom that follows is a much worse give away.

I haven't seen a malfunction shooting from the hip, although I'm confident it occurs. I have seen failures with over-head, arms out forward or aft, corner shooting, supine, prone and inverted.

6520M4P229
12-05-2009, 16:19
I got two words for you: Benelli M4
Buy one & shoot it, you'll understand.

freeride88
12-05-2009, 16:28
I use a Rem 1100 with either a 21in or 28in barrel, depending on what I'm doing with it, and I've never had a failure of any kind. Guess I'm just lucky that way, but it's been 100% reliable for me.

shootingbuff
01-02-2010, 09:02
More food for thought. When you use a gas operated semi-auto you not only have to stake your life on the weapon but completely 100% on the ammo. If the round you fire as been left short a few grains of powder it may not produce the gases required to cyle the weapon. On takes a little bit off and your are dealing with a misfeed. In a pump, that same round goes "KaBoom" and you cycle the next round so the fact that round was not perfect makes little difference.

So carry a gas operated shotgun and Mr. Murphy gets to F;;; with your ammo and your wepaon. Mr. Murphy loves the semi-autos and I suspect he hates the 870

I have fixed read clean 1100 series SGs many a time for my friends and some of our shooters. Other than that and light loads (usually same time) I have not seen the the 1100 series (limp wristed) I have seen a few 870s come through with sticky extraction and at times any pump being short stroked.

Semi-autos if they run are easier to fire from unorthodox positions.

True, oh so true any firearm you are going to use for defense needs to be fired from every position and every way one can think of to see its and your limits.

When talking SGs you also need to add the pattern of the ammo you are going to use and PoI/PoC.

Murphy is why you practice transitions and Clearance drills.

Also limp wristed SGs can benifit some what from a "grip" on the SG.

sb

shootingbuff
01-02-2010, 09:15
I use a Rem 1100 with either a 21in or 28in barrel, depending on what I'm doing with it, and I've never had a failure of any kind. Guess I'm just lucky that way, but it's been 100% reliable for me.

Keep the gas system, mag tube (in and out), clean, a fresh gas seal, and general cleaning on the rest. Check springs/replace depending on your usage. A modified gun may need a different/modified gas piston.

1100 series run - just need to maintain them more than a M1/2/3/4 or Glock.

sb

DonCT
01-02-2010, 10:09
Benelli M1 Super 90. 7+1 of Federal reduced recoil 00. Had it 11 years now with 0 malfunctions. Buck, bird, slugs. Shoulder, hip, under the arm, upside down, wet or dry it's been 100%.

DaGroaner
01-02-2010, 10:21
My Saiga-12
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/DaGroaner/Gun%20Stuff/Saiga-12.jpg

I have had zero malfunctions after the first 50 rounds were fired and only about 3 FTFs during the break in period. It currently has about 3000 rounds fired. !00% reliability, just what one would expect from an AK.

Bullman
01-02-2010, 10:32
I am going to take a chance with the Mossberg 930 SPX tactical. $550 - $600 is just too hard to pass up for me.

I am going with the plain jain Home Defense model, add my mag extension and rail later, and an oversized charging handle. I should come in under 5 bills for the gun now.

shootingbuff
01-02-2010, 13:14
Benelli M1 Super 90. 7+1 of Federal reduced recoil 00. Had it 11 years now with 0 malfunctions. Buck, bird, slugs. Shoulder, hip, under the arm, upside down, wet or dry it's been 100%.

Just think.., if one was going to jam / limp wristed one would think a recoil operated gun would. :cool:

sb

BrthrB
01-02-2010, 14:13
+1 on the M-1 Super 90 Benelli's. I've got 4 of those, a Rem 1100 and a Browning A-5. Extremely pleased with ALL of them!

Javelin
01-02-2010, 14:16
I am really interested in the Benelli line-up. They apparently have a really good reputation and I have a soft spot in my heart for fine Italian made shotguns.

PATRICE
01-02-2010, 15:21

shootingbuff
01-02-2010, 18:06
Remington 1100 Tac-4 semi-auto, 12ga, 22" smoothbore barrel, 8+1 capacity. BUT, nothing wrong with an 870, with mag-extension, 7+1 capacity, 20" barrels (smoothbore & rifled barrels with deer-sights, as you please), if you're concerned with "reliability."--Patrice.

Everyone has their own experiences, likes and dislikes. All will fail if shot and abused enough or don't have a little TLC applied from time to time. That stated my views and experiences are 180 out from the above. BTW I own an 1100.

sb

beemerphile
01-02-2010, 19:07

I just bought one of these today. It is my first semi-auto for a HD role. Up to now I have used a modified 870 and a Win 1300 Defender. We'll see how it does in the reliability testing, but the sights and handling are superb.

Nestor
01-02-2010, 19:15
You may always give a try to a trench gun You know ;)

pupcuss27
01-02-2010, 20:19
I just bought one of these today. It is my first semi-auto for a HD role. Up to now I have used a modified 870 and a Win 1300 Defender. We'll see how it does in the reliability testing, but the sights and handling are superb.

If your new Mossberg 935SPX did not come with this Choate stock, get one bro!

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page.cfm?queries_index=index10&ProductCode=23&ProductSubCodeID=152&NewProduct=0

Choate Machine Company is the foremost manufacturer of LE stocks.

PUP

stengun
01-09-2010, 09:56
Howdy aippi;14152989,

Hedo... shoot your 1100 from the hip and count the times it will not cycle.

The 1100's would not cycle when fired like this.

Again, I will not trust my life to any semi-auto shotgun.

Gee, you need someone that knows what they are doing look at your 1100's.:upeyes:

I cannot tell you the number of rounds that I have put down range w/ a Rem 1100 and Have never had one fail to cycle.

Heck, New Year's Eve I fired an entire box of lo-brass #8's out of my Rem 1100 and they were all fired either from the hip oooor single handed and it cycled every time.:supergrin:

A Rem 1100 is gas operated and should cycle evrytime. I have seen recoil operated shotguns fail to cycle when held loosly, but never a Rem 1100.

Paul

P.S. I would trust my life with my Rem 1100.:wavey:

Wild Gene
01-10-2010, 22:29
I have never really understood why people have issues with semi auto shotguns, but will carry a semi auto pistol, or a semi auto rifle and depend on that..... Doesn't it all boil down to training?

I have a Benelli M90 (field gun), and an FN SLP Mark I, shoot light target loads through both, and have never had an issue. I have had a problem or two with my '97, but that is out of thousands of rounds, and the stoeger coach gun will shoot as long as you pull the trigger, I did have a ton of trouble with my '87 lever shotgun (it didn't last to long).

What ever you get, learn how to use it. Hopefully you will never need it.

Take care.

corndogggy
01-12-2010, 15:12
FN Herstal SLP here.

PATRICE
01-17-2010, 07:46

Singlestack Wonder
01-17-2010, 10:25
fn herstal slp here.

+1............

freeride88
01-17-2010, 16:50
Howdy aippi;14152989,

Gee, you need someone that knows what they are doing look at your 1100's.:upeyes:

I cannot tell you the number of rounds that I have put down range w/ a Rem 1100 and Have never had one fail to cycle.

Heck, New Year's Eve I fired an entire box of lo-brass #8's out of my Rem 1100 and they were all fired either from the hip oooor single handed and it cycled every time.:supergrin:

A Rem 1100 is gas operated and should cycle evrytime. I have seen recoil operated shotguns fail to cycle when held loosly, but never a Rem 1100.

Paul

I've only owned an 1100 for a year or so, but it's NEVER failed in any way. Light stuff for trap, heavier stuff otherwise. No failures of any kind.

sheepman
01-19-2010, 16:38
I have had both an A5 and several 1100/1187 and shot a lot of trap and skeet with them. The A5 (currently my trap gun) will jam if shot from the hip and the 1100 would not run over 50 doubles with out fowling the action (light trap loads) so that it would not return to battery. These are wonderful guns but will take a 870 or Mossberg 500 for defence use (stock, no tack-cool). I believe the A5 is more reliable if shot from the shoulder than the 1100

JMHO : Bill

freeride88
01-19-2010, 19:09
I have had both an A5 and several 1100/1187 and shot a lot of trap and skeet with them. The A5 (currently my trap gun) will jam if shot from the hip and the 1100 would not run over 50 doubles with out fowling the action (light trap loads) so that it would not return to battery. These are wonderful guns but will take a 870 or Mossberg 500 for defence use (stock, no tack-cool). I believe the A5 is more reliable if shot from the shoulder than the 1100

JMHO : Bill

I've shot hundreds of rounds of trap/skeet for weekends on end without even cleaning my 1100 with no failures. Maybe you just got a couple lemons?

David Armstrong
01-20-2010, 12:35
I like my Beretta 1201 semi-auto, and it has never failed other than a bad part. But having said that, I also devoted many years to learning it and for me it offers an advantage over the 870 for serious social work. Having said that, when I was a shotgun instructor I probably saw 2 semi malfunctions for every 1 malfunction with a pump gun, so I do recommend the pump for most people. It is simpler to learn and seems more forgiving of mistakes.

viking42420
01-21-2010, 08:40
I trust a pump more than any auto shotgun, in case of a jam your hands already in place to clear it, same for a "stuck" case that fired but won't unlock or extract. I use a Wilson combat professional model with the surefire light forearm, and yes I can trust my life to it. Clearing a malfunction in an auto can be difficult and could cost you your life.

Bullman
01-21-2010, 08:47
I don't really think you worry so much about jams with a pump gun. With pumps, I think most of your malfunctions are going to be operator induced, the dreaded short stroke. Jams are something you will find with an autoloader.

Ljay
01-21-2010, 17:55
Howdy aippi;14152989,

Paul

Have never seen a bad 1100, 11-87 either, Not a swat guy, or tactical nut, Just a guy who loves to hunt and been doing it for 40yrs, with good equipment, I love them all, but the Rems are a good value and the gas system is smooth and hard to beat,:hearts:

wavetrain75
01-21-2010, 18:37
Saiga 12s or 20s are a lot of shotgun for the money.

I won't try to talk you out of a semi-auto, but if home defense is your primary intention a pump will do the job just as well for a lot less money.

But if you want a semi-auto, get a semi-auto.

SVTNate
01-22-2010, 02:22

Do you have a light setup on yours? What are you running? I was thinking about the Mesa mag clamp setup with a SureFire light, and getting the SF pressure switch tail cap, so I can mount a pressure switch on the fore end.

DonCT
01-23-2010, 12:54
I'm wondering if the devotion to pump guns is because of Hollywood. In the movies, you almost never see an autoloading shotgun, probably because they won't function with blanks. Whatever the reason, I'm always amazed that people who proclaim the virtues of auto pistols and auto rifles get all snooty about auto shotguns.

Bullman
01-23-2010, 12:56
I'm wondering if the devotion to pump guns is because of Hollywood. In the movies, you almost never see an autoloading shotgun, probably because they won't function with blanks. Whatever the reason, I'm always amazed that people who proclaim the virtues of auto pistols and auto rifles get all snooty about auto shotguns.

Hollywood uses pump guns for the sheer drama of working the pump three or four times per scene. For me, an autoloader would seem to make sense, all your other guns are autos, that way you don't forget to work the action, you don't do it on any of the other guns you use.

wildwilson
02-17-2010, 22:55

Very expensive, I can buy three Remington’s for what a Benelli M4 costs. But the thing is built like a tank. Makes my Remington’s look like old school. Way over kill for home defense, but what a weapon

GAFinch
02-18-2010, 17:46
Very expensive, I can buy three Remington’s for what a Benelli M4 costs. But the thing is built like a tank. Makes my Remington’s look like old school. Way over kill for home defense, but what a weapon

Agreed. You can buy a high quality AR for that kind of money.

mixflip
02-18-2010, 21:00

Very good point about the folks getting snooty about semi auto shotguns when they have semi auto pistols and semi auto rifles.

I have a 930SPX that I just broke in last week end and it runs flawlessly. Some say birdshot gets a few FTF's and FTE's but you'll rarely get any with oo buck full loads for home defense anyway. Mine runs birdshot like water which is great for practice and shotgun plinking.

Another guy even mentioned that after 10 years of competition he has seen more malfunctions with pumps than with any semi auto shotgun due to short shucking under stress.

I would trust my life to my semi auto 930SPX loaded with OO-buck any day.

People fear change more than death itself.

frankr
02-19-2010, 01:08
I also have the Mossberg 930 SXP that is one of the best shotguns I have ever owned. Picatinny Rail with LPA/M16-Style Ghost Ring sights. 18 ˝ barrel, 7+1 magazine capacity, functions flawlessly and shoots as fast as you can pull the trigger. I can shoot everything from 3” 00 Buck to Low Brass Remington Dove loads that I buy at Wal-Mart for $6.00 a box and never had a malfunction. I paid $657.00 out the door at Dick’s. What more could you ask for. If you want to see the gun in action check out Mixflip's Mossberg 930SPX range review on you tube. Great video.

DogRanger
02-19-2010, 03:51
Love my Mossberg 930SPX...get it..

HK MP5 Cop
02-19-2010, 06:40
If you are wanting an auto loader shotgun for home defence, then I would go with a Remington 1187 in 20 gauge loaded with #4 birdshot. 20 gauge will do the job wth less recoil, thus it can be used by your wife or teens. (after training of couse) Lazers are fine, but make sure you mount a flashlight on it. This is a must. (ablity to identify your target) I don't know about the 1187 20 gauge, but I have adapted 12 gauge 870 Surefire forearm lights to work on 20 gauge 870's for home defence years. Also put a side saddle ammo carrier on it, and a sling.
hope this helps,
Clif

mixflip
02-19-2010, 12:39
Uh oh, here come that old birdshot for home defense debate... 3...2..1...

frankr
02-19-2010, 13:59
mixflip

Great videos. They will help alot of new 930 SXP owners like me. Thanks for doing them.

Ljay
02-19-2010, 15:34
If you are wanting an auto loader shotgun for home defence, then I would go with a Remington 1187 in 20 gauge loaded with #4 birdshot. 20 gauge will do the job wth less recoil,
Clif

Good advice, a 20ga can be just as lethal as a 12ga. In a home situation a 12ga. can be a bit much, and a Remington 11-87 is an outstanding shotgun,

Get a 21" slug barrel, and a 3 round mag extension and your combat ready,
#2 or #4 shot can be very deadly,

mixflip
02-19-2010, 18:23
mixflip

Great videos. They will help alot of new 930 SXP owners like me. Thanks for doing them.

Thanks, the range review video was a blast to do!!! Youtube field strip videos have helped me out alot in the past so its nice to give back to the youtube community. I learned how to change out my hammer and trigger on my 1911 from a youtube video. Better than any manual since I am a visual learner.

gatorboy
02-20-2010, 21:04

I've got two, one with 0 rds. through it, one with about 20. I've got a Fabarm semi that cycles well and actually cycles from the hip! The 930's are going to be sold. The one with 20 rds. through it has never fired two rds. in a row without jamming, failure to extract every time. I hate cleaning semi's too and they have to be clean to be reliable. Pump all the way for self defense.

mixflip
02-20-2010, 22:05
Wow thats sad to hear. My new 930SPX has run flawlessly with ZERO jams even with WalMart bulk bird shot. Check out my video for the initial range report.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9uNbc03UYI

Now I did field strip it and clean all the shipping grease off before breaking it in so maybe that's what makes mine run ammo like water? Good quality made ammo helps too. I have heard ammo with poor crimping can jam up a semi-auto.

AKJD
02-21-2010, 17:45
It all boils down to knowing your firearm and how to use it, know its capabilities and limitations, how to maintain it, and what ammo it likes and dislikes. I currently have 3 shotguns in my safe. A Rem 870 that will shoot anything I put it in it, A Winchester SX2 Practical (Same thing as a FN SLP) that will shoot anything I've tried so far as long as it has the right piston installed, and a Benelli that won't shoot Rem or Fed reduced recoil rounds or anything Winchester. It does like Rem or Fed tactical. If you have a semi that is reliable and you know how to use it then I see no reason why it shouldn't be used for HD. Pumps can and will fail, some times mechanically and sometimes operator induced, although it may be less likely to fail than a semi in some cases. If you don't train with it a pump can easily be short stroked under stress

I don't use a shotgun for HD because I prefer a carbine but wouldn't hesitate to use any of the 3 I have with the ammo they like. If I had to choose one it would probably be the 870 because it is what I have trained with the most, carry at work, and am most familiar with, not because I think the semi's would fail me.

WayaX
02-21-2010, 18:03

I can buy 6 hi-points for the price of an HK pistol. Does that make hi-points better? I don't think my HK's are overkill for anything.

gatorboy
02-22-2010, 06:50
Wow thats sad to hear. My new 930SPX has run flawlessly with ZERO jams even with WalMart bulk bird shot. Check out my video for the initial range report.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9uNbc03UYI

Now I did field strip it and clean all the shipping grease off before breaking it in so maybe that's what makes mine run ammo like water? Good quality made ammo helps too. I have heard ammo with poor crimping can jam up a semi-auto.

Nice video mixflip. I'll admit to not cleaning before taking it out. That video has given me incentive to give it a good cleaning and try again. I've got the 18" breacher barrel with 5 shot tube on mine, yours looks just like my HK/Fabarm with the 20" 7 shot tube, it's also got an OEM folding stock. I've got the stock you have on a 590, can any stock for 500/590 fit the 930/935?

BK63
02-22-2010, 19:33
Say "SEMI-AUTO" before the ***t hits the fan.

:rofl:

mixflip
02-22-2010, 20:01
can any stock for 500/590 fit the 930/935?

Sorry but no. The 930 has a recoil spring and buffer tube similar to an AR15 setup but thinner. So no folders or collapsables. Only the Benelli M4 has a collapsible stock for now on a semi auto shotgun.

noway
02-23-2010, 05:10
If you want a affordable autoloader, than a 1100 2.75" chamber should be beter than a 11-87 or even a FN autoloader.

Apocalypse_Now
02-23-2010, 13:15
Any semi auto shotgun can FTF if you don't either hold it HARD or keep it on your shoulder. This is not an issue for any well trained shooter

I would recommend the FN SLP 18 inch for home defense if you want an auto. IMO it's the best production shotgun in the world. I LOVE mine!

Apocalypse_Now
02-23-2010, 13:17
http://www.gunblast.com/FN-SLP.htm

The 18 inch in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0gSzXQ011g

Apocalypse_Now
02-23-2010, 13:22

What about Arnie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iDjFsZ2L78

Gotta love the SPAS 12 :supergrin:

mixflip
02-23-2010, 13:34
The SPAS 12 wasnt a very good shotgun as Hollywood would like folks to believe. I bought one back in 1993. It was big, heavy and switching from pump to semi wasnt smooth or rock solid reliable. Probably the coolest looking tactical shotgun but its performance wasnt as good as its screen reputation.

Apocalypse_Now
02-23-2010, 13:38
The SPAS 12 wasnt a very good shotgun as Hollywood would like folks to believe. I bought one back in 1993. It was big, heavy and switching from pump to semi wasnt smooth or rock solid reliable. Probably the coolest looking tactical shotgun but its performance wasnt as good as its screen reputation.

Really? I LOVE my SPAS 12. Yes it's heavy (largely because of the excellent heat shield and rugged construction) but it is super reliable and does very well with slugs out past 100 yards. Mine is smooth and I have no trouble switching from pump to semi. Maybe you got a lemon?

Line Rider
02-23-2010, 19:16
+1 Benelli M1 Super 90 Rock the Bad Guys Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdmhQLnRZCg

4 shoots in least than 2 seconds

David Armstrong
02-24-2010, 12:43
Really? I LOVE my SPAS 12. Yes it's heavy (largely because of the excellent heat shield and rugged construction) but it is super reliable and does very well with slugs out past 100 yards. Mine is smooth and I have no trouble switching from pump to semi. Maybe you got a lemon?
Actually it sounds more like you might have gotten one of the few good ones. The SPAS 12 developed quite a reputaion for spotty performance.

Apocalypse_Now
02-24-2010, 15:18
Actually it sounds more like you might have gotten one of the few good ones. The SPAS 12 developed quite a reputaion for spotty performance.

Never heard this before..aside from the recall over some supposed safety switch issue. Either way I'm keeping mine :cool: