10/22 high capacity magazines [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 high capacity magazines

toshbar
11-14-2009, 18:10
Can anyone give me a definitive answer about what is the best high capacity(25 round) magazine for my 10/22. all the reviews online are totally mixed. I bought 2 butler creek steel lips 25 rounders and had bad feed problems for the first half of the magazine. sent them back and got 4 butler creek steel lipped 10 round magazines and they work awesome. I've seen the Tactical innovation magazines, but don't want to pay $40 for a friggin .22 magazine. If i can't get a decent recommendation I'll just order some more 10 round steel lips.

m87
11-14-2009, 18:21
The only mags I own are stock Ruger mags and the Tactical Innovations mags. All have worked flawlessly. Yeah they are expensive, but, they are the best.

I have never tried Butler Creek, and they may work just as well for half the price.

Oh, and...TI now has cheaper mags:
http://www.tacticalinc.com/ti25-polycarb-adjustable-magazinebr-ruger-1022-p-1131.html

I own mostly the $40 ones, but bought 1 of these cheaper ones...only used it at the range once, but it worked great. I'm guessing the $40 mags will hold up better (better plastic, steel lips), but I'm also guessing these TI mags for $18 are the best you can buy for the price. Also, the cheaper mags are adjustable for better feeding just like the more expensive ones.

toshbar
11-14-2009, 18:33
The only mags I own are stock Ruger mags and the Tactical Innovations mags. All have worked flawlessly. Yeah they are expensive, but, they are the best.

I have never tried Butler Creek, and they may work just as well for half the price.

Oh, and...TI now has cheaper mags:
http://www.tacticalinc.com/ti25-polycarb-adjustable-magazinebr-ruger-1022-p-1131.html

I own mostly the $40 ones, but bought 1 of these cheaper ones...only used it at the range once, but it worked great. I'm guessing the $40 mags will hold up better (better plastic, steel lips), but I'm also guessing these TI mags for $18 are the best you can buy for the price. Also, the cheaper mags are adjustable for better feeding just like the more expensive ones.
I've been all over TI's site looking at those cheaper ones. I'm debating about them. shipping is 18 bucks on 4 of them. kinda mad about that.

m87
11-14-2009, 19:02
haha...that's why I spent $100 and got free shipping (not sure if they are running that deal anymore).

Look at it this way...you buy good mags, you won't have to buy any again. Buy one $40 mag (which may outlast you), a few for $18...cry about the bill...and then don't worry about it again.

bdcochran
11-15-2009, 21:45
Adjustable does not mean that they work right out of the wrap. Wait until you try to follow the directions with the receiver out of the stock, then put the rifle in the stock, test fire, take it out of the stock to make 1/4 turn adjustments and on and on.

ElevatedThreat
11-15-2009, 21:58
In my experience, the Butler Creek Steel Lip mags need to be "worn in" a bit before they feed 100% reliably.

After a few range trips, they straighten up and become reliable, after which they STAY reliable for a very long time.

The plastic lip Butler Creeks similarly need a break in period, but the plastic lips do wear out with serious use.

I think if you had given the Butler Creek Steel Lip mags a chance they would have worked out for you....

-ET

B.Reid
11-15-2009, 23:06
:wavey:

NitLion
11-16-2009, 07:24
I swallowed hard, bought the Tactical Innovations mags and haven't looked back since.
Best high capacity(25 round) magazine? Definitive answer = Tactical Innovation.

bdcochran
11-17-2009, 12:04
Be careful. TI makes three levels of mags. The $70 and $40 ones are great.

Then there is the recent release. When a two page explanation of adjustment of 4 screws on the low end magazine doesn't scare you off, just read the part about if you are spending hours trying to adjust the new magazine, you are doing something wrong. The wrong part is buying them. The low end one is abou $20. Please, take a pass on that magazine.

9mmtupperware
11-18-2009, 01:06
I've been using the Butler creek steel lips and have no problems at all. I also use a speed loader and loading with that has not had any effect either.

mac66
11-18-2009, 15:27
The reliability of hi-cap 22 mags is a matter of several factors. 22 ammo is often wax coated and that coating builds up and catches powder residue. The geometry of the 22 LR stacked on top of one another in a mag makes them unreliable over 10 rounds (ever wonder why 22 mags are 10 round or less from the factory). The type of ammo used makes a difference. The ambiant temperature makes a difference.

That said I've had $8 Eagle mags work just as well as BC Steel Lips mags. I've had POS Ramlines work and POS Ramlines not work. I've had the same mags with the same ammo work flawlessly for hundreds of rounds one day and have problems on other days.

Personally for plinking and playing around, I would rather have a lot of cheap mags to change around than a few really expensive mags.

fgutie35
11-18-2009, 15:36
I had good luck with a ram-line 30rd mag I bought back when the ban was still in effect. To this day, it performs flawlessly. I bought two 50rd ram-line mags at cabelas, and they jammed all the time. I was curious to see what the difference was if it was the same manufacturer. That's when I compared them and found out that the lip design was different, so I dremeled the other two mags to look exactly like the first and Voila! now I have two 50rd mags that work flawlessly plus the 30 rounder.:cool:

cmysprks
11-18-2009, 23:02
I'm trying to find a repair/rebuild kit for my ruger 10/22 25rd hot lips mags. I have 2 with a few cracks in them and one that I some how broke a chunk out of it. I live in California and its hard to get things like this since the rest of the country don't want to help us here .If someone can help me and point me in the direction to a web site that sells rebuild kits or repair kits and is willing to ship here would be great, thanks
Anthony

wjv
11-18-2009, 23:50
Check Out: (LongGun1's treatment for Butler Creek 10-22 mags)

http://practicalpreps.com/forums3/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=584

toshbar
11-19-2009, 13:44
I've decided that when the time comes to get more magazines, I will get more 10 round butler creek steel lips. I like how they stick out the bottom for easy instert/removability.

mserr
11-19-2009, 16:54
i have two butler creek steel lips mags, work flawlessy.

m87
11-19-2009, 17:37
Be careful. TI makes three levels of mags. The $70 and $40 ones are great.

Then there is the recent release. When a two page explanation of adjustment of 4 screws on the low end magazine doesn't scare you off, just read the part about if you are spending hours trying to adjust the new magazine, you are doing something wrong. The wrong part is buying them. The low end one is abou $20. Please, take a pass on that magazine.

They all have 4 screws for adjustment. I admit I've only shot the one cheap TI mag once, but I don't expect any problems other than it being less durable (non-steel feed lips, less durable plastic). I do expect it to be better than any other sub-$20 mag.

Fanner50
11-20-2009, 22:18
I went to the range today and shot my Tactical Charger. The Jamlines lived up to their reputation. The Butler Creek Steel Lips weren't much better.
The only magazines to work 100% were the factory Ruger rotary magazines.

I was shooting Winchester 555's and Federal 550 Round Value Packs. Maybe that made the difference. The Federals actually worked better than the Winchesters. That's kinda unsettling, because I have about 5,000 rounds of the Winchester 555's and 333's.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e339/AlanFla/IMG_6786.jpg

toshbar
12-05-2009, 12:07
Addition:

I bought two more 25 round Butler Creek Steel Lips magazines yesterday and tested them out today. The first 3 or 4 rounds don't feed worth a crap, but after that it does pretty good. maybe they'll break in and I can load to full capacity and use it as a 25 round magazine.

One thing I noticed is that the feed lips stick up really far and the back of the feed lips are being hit by the bottom of the bolt when it slides forward. It is noticeable and can be heard and felt.

tercel89
12-05-2009, 17:15
I swallowed hard, bought the Tactical Innovations mags and haven't looked back since.
Best high capacity(25 round) magazine? Definitive answer = Tactical Innovation.

I am about to get me a Ruger 10/22 for the first time . So You think I'll be happy with the Tactical Innovation high cap mags ?

tercel89
12-05-2009, 17:16
I went to the range today and shot my Tactical Charger. The Jamlines lived up to their reputation. The Butler Creek Steel Lips weren't much better.
The only magazines to work 100% were the factory Ruger rotary magazines.

I was shooting Winchester 555's and Federal 550 Round Value Packs. Maybe that made the difference. The Federals actually worked better than the Winchesters. That's kinda unsettling, because I have about 5,000 rounds of the Winchester 555's and 333's.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e339/AlanFla/IMG_6786.jpg

GOOD LORD!!!!! That Ruger looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mac66
12-13-2009, 10:50
I am about to get me a Ruger 10/22 for the first time . So You think I'll be happy with the Tactical Innovation high cap mags ?

All mags jam occasionaly, I don't care what anyone says. You can pay a lot of money or a little but they will all jam for one reason or another. My thought is that I would rather have a bunch of mags for the same price as one TI mag. That is just me.

RFPhoto
12-13-2009, 13:30
My vote would be to buy a bunch of factory 10 round mags and use the Trimag http://alangator.com/trimag.htm. I have a few BC metal feed lip ones but rarely use them.

buddah
12-13-2009, 14:14
Sorry about hijacking the thread but where do I pick up a tactical charger like the one fanner50 has?? I live in NYS and we can't own a semiauto pistol w/ detachable mag that weighs more than 50 oz. The charger comes in @ 56 OZ. Wondering if the synthetic stock shaves 6 oz. off?

glockfan5
12-14-2009, 17:36
I hated my Butler Creek mag until I did the silicone spray tip. Now it works flawlessly. Of course my TI mag worked right out of the box.

DriBak
12-17-2009, 18:42
Anyone make a reliable 50 rounder ?

CMG
12-18-2009, 02:42

BDM keeps promising to adapt their new drum to work in the 10/22....

I have a pair of the MWG 50 round tear-drop drums that run just fine.

Lugi
12-21-2009, 22:59

Look!
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=11&t=299914

bambikilr
12-22-2009, 00:11
guess i've been lucky, have never had Butler Creek, Ram-Line, ever jam...use winchester or cci ammo, have had to replace after worn out, have had my 10/22 for 20 plus years & the two have been trying to wear it out...lol

CrazyFeet
12-31-2009, 08:27
i have hot lips mags and after a few runs through to break them in and then a silicone spray treatment they are working over 99% i get 1 jam about every 5-7 mags.. not bad IMO

mac66
01-09-2010, 15:25
CDNN has the Eagle 30 rounders on sale for $8/ea. w/ $6 shipping for as many as you want to order. Think I will order another 10.

JFrame
01-09-2010, 15:29
CDNN has the Eagle 30 rounders on sale for $8/ea. w/ $6 shipping for as many as you want to order. Think I will order another 10.

Are you serious...???

Thanks for the heads up! :wavey:

Edited to add: Just put in an order for 5 of them!

.b

toshbar
01-09-2010, 16:33
Update to the 2 new steel lips 25 rounders I bought a month ago:

If I only load 22/23 rounds they feed fine and now they've had a few hundred rounds through them and I think are wearing in to perform better than new.

Here's the 10/22 in FULLMILITARYPOWER/// mode.
Please leave out the comments about shooting at water, I am well aware of the dangers and made certain that my angle of attack was greater than would be required for a ricochet.

http://s741.photobucket.com/albums/xx51/toshbar/?action=view&current=10-22FullMilitaryPower.flv

OH BOY, a whole 70 cents of ammo!

As far as the BATFE needs to know, this is a semi-auto 10/22 with a hammer kit to reduce trigger pull to about 3lbs and a Butler Creek folding stock.