9mm for Mom [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9mm for Mom

theGreenAggie
11-15-2009, 14:25
Ok I've been searching for a good 9mm for my mother. Right now it will be home defense only, but I want her to be able to conceal it if I ever convince her to get the license.

I am 100% a glock lover, they are perfect for me, but I don't think a G26 will work for her - it is too bulky.

Here's the issue - given Glock's track record of performance, I can't justify spending (much) more than that a Glock would cost on any automatic handgun.

So - that means about a $600 cap on price.

Current guns that we have been considering -
Kahr CW9
Beretta PX4
Smith & Wesson M&P
Sig P239 (Used?)

What do y'all think of this lineup? Any positive or negative feedback about any of these specific models? Would you add any other model to this list to consider?

It doesn't necessarily have to be a thin frame / single stack magazine, but it does need to be lightweight and perhaps more importantly not bulky. It needs to fit her hand well - she's not a natural shot...

I know we want to avoid Kel Tech and Taurus automatics. I like Walther, Sig Sauer, and Beretta - but they are all a bit expensive.

All input greatly appreciated!

Evela
11-15-2009, 15:22
I don't know what you mean by "too bulky". The 26 is easily concealed by most men, and women have some additional carry options that we don't (purse, etc). The real bottom line is that the 26 is very accurate, extremely reliable and holds 10 very effective 9mm rounds. Should fit her hands too.

theGreenAggie
11-15-2009, 15:37
I mean thick / wide. A single stack weapon like a Kahr CW9 may fit her more. And if she ever does carry I'll do my best to not let it be in her purse...

Dandapani
11-15-2009, 17:40
The P239 would be perfect. Thin. Enough heft to be pleasant to shoot and dead nuts simple manual of arms.

GIockGuy24
11-15-2009, 17:53
The Sig P239 is available with a short reach trigger. I know a new one is expensive but finding a used one with the short reach trigger might be difficult. Walther has the new single stack 9mm PPS. I haven't used one though and don't know much about them. Used Sig P225's aren't much bigger than than the P239 just a bit more square in shape which makes it look a bit bigger but they are light and thin.

theGreenAggie
11-16-2009, 19:47
so looks like two votes for the P239 so far...

AV1911
11-17-2009, 18:39
so looks like two votes for the P239 so far...

Make that three...I don't personally know how anyone could NOT like it. :wavey:

Bilbo Bagins
11-18-2009, 13:17
A small lightweight 9mm will have a lot of kick. If you go with a Kahr I would go with the all metal MK9, unfortunately they taint $600.

MK9 vs a G27

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1098/1106601097_4eabd4b042.jpg

The Walther PPS is another option (vs. a G26)

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Glock26/DSC03079.jpg

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Glock26/DSC03080.jpg

The Sig 239 is a little longer and the same thickness as a G26, its also heavier, has less capacity and is more money. :dunno:

http://www.fototime.com/6FD6ADC42FB9E12/standard.jpg

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=9&productid=71

http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

theGreenAggie
11-21-2009, 10:46
Nice thanks for all the photos!

Yeah I think she will just have to select a gun and train up on the recoil. I shoot a G23 - .40, and its all I'm used to now. I went to a range with a friend who had a Sig 9mm about 2 months ago and it felt like shooting one of those airsoft gas blow back guns compared to my .40.

So I guess I'm less concerned with recoil - she should be able to learn the weapon well enough if it is the only one she shoots, right?

wrencher
11-22-2009, 07:52
Look for a nice used S&W 3913, or CS9. Single stack, feel wonderful in the hand, dead nuts reliable.
Very pleasant shooters.

CableRouter
11-22-2009, 20:32
Half a year back I let a 5'4" tall, 52 year old woman shoot my G19. She loved it enough to get her own G19 and become a CCW holder. :)

theGreenAggie
11-24-2009, 07:29
Yeah I went to look at guns this weekend with my dad and there was a married couple there who we started talking to. He said his wife likes the G19 a lot too. I guess it would also have the advantage of more mass and therefore less recoil. But I find it hard to believe that a woman could adequately conceal a full size Glock like that, unless it is in the purse. We may be leaning this way, though. I need to determine if she would prefer a DAO or a DA/SA, and describing the difference is not going to get a good answer for that.

While we were out, we looked at a Ruger SR9. Any thoughts on the SR9?

Bilbo Bagins
11-24-2009, 07:42
Yeah I went to look at guns this weekend with my dad and there was a married couple there who we started talking to. He said his wife likes the G19 a lot too. I guess it would also have the advantage of more mass and therefore less recoil. But I find it hard to believe that a woman could adequately conceal a full size Glock like that, unless it is in the purse. We may be leaning this way, though. I need to determine if she would prefer a DAO or a DA/SA, and describing the difference is not going to get a good answer for that.

While we were out, we looked at a Ruger SR9. Any thoughts on the SR9?

The SR9 seems to be a good gun, basically Ruger's copy of the Glock. Here is a LONG but detailed video review of the SR9.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpTaV3A2jIE

steph_g17g19
11-24-2009, 09:43
I carry G19 in my purse. I tried the G26 but because the grip is so short, I had trouble holding on to it well enough to make good shots.

sawgrass
11-25-2009, 22:29
But I find it hard to believe that a woman could adequately conceal a full size Glock like that,

I'm 5'3", and I carry a Glock 19. Sometimes with IWB holster, sometimes
with OWB holster. Obviously, I have to wear some type of over shirt, vest, or jacket. Buckeling your belt to the left side helps it stay in place during those times when it is unbuckled. The gun is pushed towards the rear on
my right side, so it doesn't dig into my ribs.

Good Luck,
SG

Mrs.Cicero
11-30-2009, 07:02
I just tried that S&W M&P you mentioned in your list - if your biggest concern is fitting her grip and being small for concealment/weight - that gun is a great choice - esp with the three grip options it comes with. It has a snappy recoil in the compact model, but it is straight back and easy to handle. I will be switching platforms from all HKs to one fullsize M&P and one compact model, for increased carry options. My only complaint about the M&P is the difficulty in acquiring one without the magazine disconnect.

Mrs.Cicero

chip1wa
11-30-2009, 07:09
My 64 year old Mom loves her G26 with the Crimson Trace.

She's a crack shot and carries it with her all of the time in her purse, or IWB.

Dirty

javelinadave
11-30-2009, 10:44
Whatever you decide on make sure she can "rack" the slide. I had this issue with two Keltec 3AT's that I thought my wife and mother-in-law would both love. It took a lot of practice and polishing before my mother-in-law could. My wife still prefers her snubby and I carry the 3AT as a BUG.

khicks
11-30-2009, 18:41
I do not agree with you right now/ you never said how much handgun knowledge she has or even if she has ever handled a firearm in here life. a glock is a fine home defense tool and a fine carry tool. some times they do not mix. she may need two glocks, one for home and one to carry, each one having there own roles :whistling:

bandmasterjf
12-03-2009, 20:21
I've had a little recent experience with the new Taurus 709 slim. It's a sweet shooting very thin, light gun with a lot less recoil and a lot more accuracy than you would expect. It's also about around $150 less than the Glock.

My wife has a 26, but hasn't started carrying yet.

Thx-1138
12-04-2009, 02:33
My wife went with the S&W M&P in 9mm Compact.

She loves the gun. The grip is just a smidgen thinner than a Glock, and is shorter front-to-back, especially with the smallest grips.

And she doesn't have any problem handling the recoil or racking the slide.

Controls are very similar to a Glock. Slide release (ambidextrous) and magazine release (reversible) are in the same place as Glocks. Trigger Safety is the only external safety.

We ended up getting on with the magazine disconnect, and a frame slide, and a limited 10-round magazine. But, it was used and only cost us $425.

GlockGranny
12-05-2009, 13:55
Hope she is delighted with her new gun !

JTLIII
12-06-2009, 17:10
Beretta PX4 . MY fiance shoots mine all the time. With the adjustable grip feature...it's great.

Glock 17L
12-06-2009, 23:48
Look Hard @ a Glock 19 IMO..
Gary

BleedNOrange
12-07-2009, 12:36
I have a px4 storm sub compact in 9mm. Great gun with almost no recoil. With the small grip attachment my gf can shoot it easily. Only downfall is the frame mounted safety.

cowboy1964
12-10-2009, 12:56
The M&P compact and G26 are essentially the same size.

Tiller
12-10-2009, 14:14
G19 is hard to beat. I'd sure encourage you to consider one.

theGreenAggie
01-21-2010, 19:44
OK so now she is leaning towards a compact .38, something like a Taurus ultra-lite. I've been generally reluctant to steer her towards a revolver because of the decreased ammo capacity... The only handguns she has shot at this point on my G23 (mid size .40 cal) and my dad's S&W .38 - 6 shot snub nose, full weight. For Christmas I bought her a giftcard to gun store / range that we go to that is equivalent to three personal lessons. During those three lessons, she is going to rent three different guns. I recently purchased a Kahr CW9, so she will be able to test shoot that weapon independent of these personal lessons. Which models would yall recommend she test out? I'm thinking G19, G26, and Taurus Ultra-Lite .38 with shrouded hammer....

Recommendations on other guns for her to test fire?

Bilbo Bagins
01-22-2010, 07:59
OK so now she is leaning towards a compact .38, something like a Taurus ultra-lite. I've been generally reluctant to steer her towards a revolver because of the decreased ammo capacity... The only handguns she has shot at this point on my G23 (mid size .40 cal) and my dad's S&W .38 - 6 shot snub nose, full weight. For Christmas I bought her a giftcard to gun store / range that we go to that is equivalent to three personal lessons. During those three lessons, she is going to rent three different guns. I recently purchased a Kahr CW9, so she will be able to test shoot that weapon independent of these personal lessons. Which models would yall recommend she test out? I'm thinking G19, G26, and Taurus Ultra-Lite .38 with shrouded hammer....

Recommendations on other guns for her to test fire?

If your willing to buy her a Glock, I would buy her a S&W or Ruger revolver over a Taurus. Trust me its worth the extra money.

Ultralights / Airweights have heavier recoil than steel revolvers. She will notice a difference. If she like the full weight better, get her a Ruger SP-101 or a steel S&W Snubbie. You can shoot .38 out of .357 revolvers.

purpledragonlily
01-22-2010, 21:22
I carry a Glock 19 IWB very frequently. A good holster is key. But for hot weather and dress clothes I have a Walther PPS in 9mm, it has been flawless and is very easily concealed. Also easy to strip & clean. I carry the PPS in a belly band with skirts, dresses, etc no problem at all.

Gnomishninja
01-26-2010, 23:13
Greenaggie -

If there are any ranges in your area that do an all-gun rental, please consider taking your mother there and let her shoot several different 9mm and the revolvers. Give her a chance to find something that meets the following criteria:

1) Comfortable to Hold
2) Easy to grip
3) Manageable recoil (as perceived by her)

I can understand that you have some ideas for what will work for her, but in my experience everyone perceives the way a firearm works differently. I carry a Glock 26 with a +2 baseplate in the small of my back - it's very comfortable for me to hold and shoot, conceals well under a sweatshirt or flannel shirt, and is easy for me to access.

As for the capacity of the mag, if she needs to fire in defense, a 5 round revolver - which is simpler to operate and may be easier to conceal may be the edge she needs in a confrontation. A 10 round pistol she finds confusing might not. But it's really paramount that she have something that fits her - and the only way to know if a gun "fits" is to shoot it.

Just my two cents, for whatever it's worth.

SCmasterblaster
01-28-2010, 20:35
This thread is just one more example of why this forum is the best place to visit for good advice concerning Glocks.

drpdw
01-29-2010, 13:25
My first 9mm was a Glock 26 which is my #1 CCW. Love it. My 2nd. 9mm was the Sig P239...got it out of a Swiss consignment for a super price...Love that gun! Thin (single stack) in the grip, scary accurate (see pict below for my first outing out with my Sig; target shot at 7 yards). I would be carrying it but it's a little bit larger than my G-26. The G-26 is considered a sub-compact; the Sig P239 a compact. I cannot say enough good things about my Sig. DO make sure that you mother has the opportunity to handle her prospective new weapon...AND fire it. This is so very important!
-drpdw