What do I have here????? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What do I have here?????

c133jim
11-18-2009, 16:11
Have a Glock 19, date of birth July 1988. S/N #BPxxxUS. From what I've read, the G19 was first introduced in 1988, but mine is not on a GEN I frame. It also has Austrian Proof Marks on Slide, Barrel and Frame. Would anyone have any information about this pistol? Is this an "oddball"?

Thanks.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g214/c133jim/DSCN1549.jpg

Zapfenstreich
11-18-2009, 17:35
I believe that it is a regular Gen 2, quite early, but I'm waiting for more informed folks to chime in.

I'm curious what the value would be on it, given that it has Austrian proofs, and from what I can gather, those stopped around '90 or '91 (other than the fluke earlier this year).

c133jim
11-18-2009, 17:51
This is what is puzzling to me. How can it be a GEN II if it was made in the first year of production for the Glock 19?

MakeMineA10mm
11-18-2009, 19:20
What you have there is an example of the earliest known (to us here in the Collector's Club) PRODUCTION RUN of G-19s. If you go to the Glock Serial Number Research Project Thread (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412093) you will see that the earliest known serial prefix for a production run of G-19s is:

BP- July 1988 - - GTT bdc, Austrian markings on slide and barrel. Original tupperware box labeled Glock 17, Best in 1987.

The reason your early G-19 is a second generation is because the generations of Glocks transcend the models.

First Generations are the earliest-style Glock pistols, with the "pebble" grip or smooth grip. (Only G-17s, G-17Ls, and G-18s were made in the first generation configuration.)

Second Generations have the "grenade" "checkering" (actually molded-in) as your pistol shows.

Third Generations have finger grooves and light rails on the dust cover.

(There were some pistols made for a very short while with finger grooves and no light rail, and these are called "Gen. 2.5".)

As an interesting side-note, the first half-dozen or so G-19s were FIRST GENERATION G-17s that had the grips and dust-covers cut-down at the factory. They are incredibly rare. I saw and handled one at the NRA convention a couple years ago in the Glock Collector's Association booth.

MakeMineA10mm
11-18-2009, 19:28
Another interesting and oft-forgotten factoid is that Second Generation frame style was introduced with the G19, and for a short time, say two or three months, G-17s came with first-gen frames and G-19s came with second-gen frames. There was even some speculation at that time that Glock was only going to use the 2nd Gen frame on the 19s. This was soon put to rest when some magazine articles came out followed closely by G-17s with the Gen. 2 frame.

Coogan
12-01-2009, 21:18
I have a BW-prefix G19, ITT date code. Of interest, the serial number plates are black.

srkr
12-10-2009, 18:52
I have the exact same gun except mine was made in 1989.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g28/srkr1432/glock2001.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g28/srkr1432/glock018.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g28/srkr1432/glock020.jpg

SiGlockBoy
12-17-2009, 13:40
Looks like my older 19 also. I believe mine was a very early 1993.

Butch
01-13-2010, 19:36
Have a Glock 19, date of birth July 1988. S/N #BPxxxUS. From what I've read, the G19 was first introduced in 1988, but mine is not on a GEN I frame. It also has Austrian Proof Marks on Slide, Barrel and Frame. Would anyone have any information about this pistol? Is this an "oddball"?

Thanks.
What's the date code on the barrel? (three small letters to the right of the serial number)

The first G19's imported for sales arrived in March of 1988, and had the serial number prefix of 'DN'. It's also apparent that that prefix was used on both first and second generation G19's.

A few other G19's were imported apparently as samples that had the prefix of 'AN'. As the first G17 samples also had the prefix 'AN', best guess is that that prefix was reserved for such purposes.

There are numerous instances where 'earlier' prefixed guns were made or imported after guns with later prefixes, and I've never heard an explanation for why that is.

A good example of such is that the first G17's imported for sales had the prefix 'AF', they were imported in January of 1986, but they have a date code (GTF) showing that they were made in July of 1984. The G17's with the prefix 'AA' were not imported until October of 1986, and they have a date code (CTF) that shows they were made in October of 1984. :dunno:

Therefore, I would not call your G19 an 'oddball', but it is an early gun. You say it's date is July of 88, where did you get that info? I'm of the impression that the date given by Glock when you call them is the import date, not necessarily the actual manufacture date.

I find that the date given by Glock is generally (not always) one month after the date code on the gun, which makes sense time wise considering the shipping (boat trip?) involved.

'BP' is certainly the earliest production prefix I have on my list, but it doesn't mean that it's among the first G19's imported.....I'm quite interested in getting the date code to see where it fits in.

c133jim
01-15-2010, 17:15
What's the date code on the barrel? (three small letters to the right of the serial number)

The first G19's imported for sales arrived in March of 1988, and had the serial number prefix of 'DN'. It's also apparent that that prefix was used on both first and second generation G19's.

A few other G19's were imported apparently as samples that had the prefix of 'AN'. As the first G17 samples also had the prefix 'AN', best guess is that that prefix was reserved for such purposes.

There are numerous instances where 'earlier' prefixed guns were made or imported after guns with later prefixes, and I've never heard an explanation for why that is.

A good example of such is that the first G17's imported for sales had the prefix 'AF', they were imported in January of 1986, but they have a date code (GTF) showing that they were made in July of 1984. The G17's with the prefix 'AA' were not imported until October of 1986, and they have a date code (CTF) that shows they were made in October of 1984. :dunno:

Therefore, I would not call your G19 an 'oddball', but it is an early gun. You say it's date is July of 88, where did you get that info? I'm of the impression that the date given by Glock when you call them is the import date, not necessarily the actual manufacture date.

I find that the date given by Glock is generally (not always) one month after the date code on the gun, which makes sense time wise considering the shipping (boat trip?) involved.

'BP' is certainly the earliest production prefix I have on my list, but it doesn't mean that it's among the first G19's imported.....I'm quite interested in getting the date code to see where it fits in.

Date code on barrel reads: GTT
Manufacture date was taken from the Glock Serial Number Research Project Thread List and information given to me by fellow member "MakeMineA10mm".

Butch
01-15-2010, 21:38
Date code on barrel reads: GTT
Manufacture date was taken from the Glock Serial Number Research Project Thread List and information given to me by fellow member "MakeMineA10mm".
GTT confirms the July 88 manufacture date.

From the info I've accumulated, that means that although BP is the earliest G19 prefix alphabetically, based on the dates listed on the GT serial number project, and the date codes that I have, BP *could* be the fifth batch of 1000 G19's made and/or imported. I say it *could* be simply because I still have some prefix's that are not yet identified as to which model(s) they were used on (G17, G18, or G19).

BP is certainly a very early G19. The oldest one I have has a prefix of DY, which appears to put it in the 12th thousand range.

Hope this is of interest to you!

c133jim
01-16-2010, 03:53
Sure is, Butch. Now to find out which models belong to those early prefixes.
Thanks for the information!!!

MakeMineA10mm
01-16-2010, 09:29
A lot of the missing early prefixes on the Serial Number Research thread are blocks of pistols for contracts with govts or even private sales overseas in areas where there's not a strong likelihood of folks getting on the internet and looking for GlockTalk.com... And even if they did, it's unlikely they are willing or desire to share serial number information (which confirms use/possession of the Glocks) connected with their govt./organization.

So, we will have to be satisfied with the fact that it will never be 100% all-encompassing and complete, but I think we'll get it close to that...