AR-15 Rock River Arms vs. Colt [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Rock River Arms vs. Colt

pingi33pw
11-21-2009, 14:44
AR-15
Rock River Arms vs. Colt
Witch would you buy and why?
Is price or quality the main factor in you selection?

Thank you for your thoughts.....

HogGlocker
11-21-2009, 15:01
I have an older RRA...so I can not comment on current production quality. I don't know of any issues on the current runs and can tell you that my older RRA m4 is an axcellet weapon and that it has been 100% reliable and is very accurate....good trigger as well.

Colt is Colt....some drink the kool-aid too much and some drink it for very good reason. I have an older Colt A2....is also an excellent weapon.

I also have 2 MP15....they are excellent as well.

Money drives the choice many people make. There are many excellent AR platforms available:

Colt and RRA are but two.

S&W
CMMG
Stag
LMT
Bravo Co [in components]
Sabre
Daniels Defence
Charles Daly
Ruger
Noveske [very expensive]
Barret [also very expensive]

Handle and shoot both if you can. There is nothing at all wrong with RRA.

pleaforwar
11-21-2009, 15:36
In all honesty it depends on what you want the rifle for... if you plan on this gun being a plinker or recreational gun, I don't see a problem with the RRA. If you want to ever use it for HD, competition, or SHTF applications, I would go with the Colt in a heartbeat.

jbremount
11-21-2009, 16:38
AR-15
Rock River Arms vs. Colt

Most probably buy with price/needs in mind, but there are other reasons. For example, Rock River rifles can be had with the Wydle chambering for increased accuracy. Rock River also offers competition and varmint rifles that are quite accurate. Do a little homework and decide what you want in a rifle and go for it. Most manufactures are really trying to satisfy the customer these days with a good product.

Twisted Steel
11-21-2009, 19:39
I really like my RRA, and don't have a Colt. But if you are willing to spend the money for a Colt, I would get it.

Kegel
11-21-2009, 20:12
The RRA is considered by most to be a higher quality AR with better QC and reliablity than the Colt. They are less likely to blow up in your face as well. Something to consider. ;)

pleaforwar
11-21-2009, 20:15
The RRA is considered by most to be a higher quality AR with better QC and reliablity than the Colt. They are less likely to blow up in your face as well. Something to consider. ;)

:wow:

11-21-2009, 20:17
I don't care for Colt, don't own a Colt, but after reading this, I had to double check my calendar. I thought it was April 1st.:rofl:

NeverMore1701
11-21-2009, 20:17
Ah, good old Kegel.

11-21-2009, 20:18
Hi ya, Dan.:wavey:

pleaforwar
11-21-2009, 20:19
Hi ya, Dan.:wavey:

Hey Buddy, thanks for your response in the optics thread btw at TOS. :cool:

11-21-2009, 20:20
Pleasure.:cool:

Alaskapopo
11-21-2009, 22:33
AR-15
Rock River Arms vs. Colt

Colt hands down is the far better choice. RRA is a middle tier company that takes short cuts to keep the cost down. That is why you pay less. Less is not more. RRA is not bad but given the choice go Colt.
pat

Alaskapopo
11-21-2009, 22:34
:upeyes:
WTF man did the Colt CEO piss in your Cheerios or something. Colt is the yard stick by which all other AR's are judged. Most are not as good a few are equal but not many.
Pat

fran m
11-22-2009, 09:45
Kegel did have the wink at the end of his post. Sarcasim I suspect.

deMontacute
11-22-2009, 11:18
Of those two, Colt hands down.

RRA builds their guns to be pretty on the outside, but they cut alot of corners on the internals.

If you'd like some further reading on the subject I suggest perusing these links

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&hl=en

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=360169 (Page 1-3 are the most important, really goes downhill in the teens...)

http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/8343/16001.html

ETA: Don't rule out BCM, LMT, or Noveske too. All are top notch ARs and will serve you well...

MARSH1
11-22-2009, 11:28
AR-15
Rock River Arms vs. Colt

IMHO you need to do a lot of reading and decide what type of AR you want before asking what brand. It is a buyers market right now and if you want a basic M4 style AR the Colt 6920 is probably the best value going. They are going for under $1,000 at the Houston gun shows and in some cases less that a similar RRA. Less than a year ago they were pushing $2K. RRA makes a great Varmint AR, their National Match uppers are extremely accurate etc.

true believer
11-22-2009, 18:47
Kegel did have the wink at the end of his post. Sarcasim I suspect.

what you know about colts?? i bet you dont even own any guns...some people
:whistling::supergrin:

fran m
11-22-2009, 18:54
Colt fan here Bob, Shoot more Colt long guns then anything else. :wavey:

Chuck TX
11-22-2009, 21:56
Colt. The RRA is slightly cheaper for a reason, and that's the only thing it has over the Colt.

spdski
11-23-2009, 00:55
Skip them both and get an LMT!!

You can't go wrong with the Colt.

okie
11-23-2009, 01:26
For the price of Colts you could get 2 RRA's. I choose RRA:supergrin:

Alaskapopo
11-23-2009, 01:37

You can get Colt 6920's right now for $995
Pat

fran m
11-23-2009, 06:41
Where are they at that price? Cheaper then I have seen by like $150 I think.

deMontacute
11-23-2009, 06:57
I've heard reports of them going for that price at the Gun Shows. Also some one was saying there was a shop that you could get that deal only if you called. That is the low end of market price. Average seems to be $1000-$1150 right now, with some outlayers slightly above or below that range.

Still a darn sight better than a few months ago...

Wickersham
11-23-2009, 08:29
AR-15
Rock River Arms vs. Colt

I am assuming this is not a joke. Colt without question - reliable and as close to milspec as you can get.

buckweet
11-23-2009, 10:11
i have a rock river, i like it alot. love the two stage trigger,
its a very reliable rifle.

Chuck TX
11-23-2009, 10:12

There's not that big of a price difference now days, okie. More like 1 RRA and 10 trips to taco bell = 1 Colt 6920. :wavey:

But there is quite a difference in the quality and specifications.

vafish
11-23-2009, 10:13
I own a Rock River, I don't own a Colt.

Nothing against a Colt, but, for my money and needs the RRA does just fine (as do the other "Lower Tier" AR15's that I own.

The couple of places where Colt does use better parts can easily and fairly cheaply be replaced. But I won't bother doing so until they break.

I do think it really depends upon what you want to use the gun for and what you want to spend. I think the RRA National Match guns for high power shooting are much better than the Colts. If you are kicking in doors or a living then a Colt might be a better choice.

Price wise, I've seen Rock River M4's and Entry Tacticals going for about $800 new. Colt 6920's are still around $1,100.

crump582
11-23-2009, 10:46
I love my Rock River... never had a single problem. I would say the Colt is better, IF you want to spend the extra money. I just didn't need an AR that is any better than what I have so I spent less.

The Doublestar at Bud's for $634.00 seems like the best deal I've found recently though.

spdski
11-23-2009, 11:13
The Doublestar at Bud's for $634.00 seems like the best deal I've found recently though.

If cheapest is the plan then that's a good deal.

At CDNN, for $799 you can buy a new S&W M&P15, and get 5 free pmags.

That's probably what an RRA would cost you, but it is a better gun.

Alaskapopo
11-23-2009, 11:25

Someone posted them for sale on M4carbine. I believe CDNN was the ones that had them at that price.
Pat

DaveCharlie09
11-23-2009, 11:26
Colt. Quality.

fran m
11-23-2009, 15:00
Thanks Alaskapopo. Great price.

Fran M

iamhistory
11-28-2009, 21:26
I have a Colt 6920 on hold and also already own an '09 Stag M2 and a "ban" model Bushmaster carbine.

I too have looked at the chart and find it somewhat interesting that Colt is "the standard" but BCM features everything the Colt does with a lifetime warranty and on average is $200 cheaper. Just an observation.

Does anyone have factual info. on what company military issue M4's are contracted through? I've used Colt in the past as a Marine. I've also heard recently that Colt and some LMT's are the issue. Is that not accurate?

Numerous LEO contacts of mine in PA have Colts as the state got a deal on them but the guys had to purchase them for themselves.

Alaskapopo
11-28-2009, 21:36
I have a Colt 6920 on hold and also already own an '09 Stag M2 and a "ban" model Bushmaster carbine.

I too have looked at the chart and find it somewhat interesting that Colt is "the standard" but BCM features everything the Colt does with a lifetime warranty and on average is $200 cheaper. Just an observation.

Does anyone have factual info. on what company military issue M4's are contracted through? I've used Colt in the past as a Marine. I've also heard recently that Colt and some LMT's are the issue. Is that not accurate?

Numerous LEO contacts of mine in PA have Colts as the state got a deal on them but the guys had to purchase them for themselves.
BCM is very good and competes well with Colt.
Pat

buckweet
11-28-2009, 23:08
i like the olympic arms plinker plus, great rifles.

Alaskapopo
11-28-2009, 23:15
i like the olympic arms plinker plus, great rifles.

I can describe Oly guns with a lot of adjectives but Great is not one of them. More like craptacular, craptastic, crappy, well you get the idea.
Pat

ArmoryDoc
11-28-2009, 23:19
AR-15
Rock River Arms vs. Colt

I would buy the Colt any day. Colt sets the benchmark for others to build to. Colt IS the AR-15. There is only one I would buy over the Colt and that is the BCM. All others are second. :wavey:

mvician
11-29-2009, 00:02

Colt has the contract for the M4 and M16, FN also supplies the M16.

egl1962
07-04-2010, 15:54
i'f colt's were hands down better, why would the dea approve them. it can't be price because the government could care less about price. i have a rra m4 never had a problem. the fit is better than any other brand i've held. nothing against colt i have three 1911 colts, love them. but i'm not going to say they are the best. i know alot of other 1911 brands that are better. don't get caught up in thinking that one brand is just inherently better because of the name. i think fn is making m4's for the service now anyway. but my next ar is going to be a daniel defense m4 hands down.

HAIL CAESAR
07-04-2010, 16:59
Old thread.....hands down.

ghostman1960
07-04-2010, 17:22

:upeyes:

Alaskapopo
07-04-2010, 18:57
i'f colt's were hands down better, why would the dea approve them. it can't be price because the government could care less about price. i have a rra m4 never had a problem. the fit is better than any other brand i've held. nothing against colt i have three 1911 colts, love them. but i'm not going to say they are the best. i know alot of other 1911 brands that are better. don't get caught up in thinking that one brand is just inherently better because of the name. i think fn is making m4's for the service now anyway. but my next ar is going to be a daniel defense m4 hands down.

Colt makes M4's for the military. FN makes M16's. Colt is hands down better than RRA. Yes agencies like the DEA care a lot about price. Bean counters always care about price. The Daniel Defense is a good choice as well.
Pat

egl1962
07-04-2010, 20:33
Colt makes M4's for the military. FN makes M16's. Colt is hands down better than RRA. Yes agencies like the DEA care a lot about price. Bean counters always care about price. The Daniel Defense is a good choice as well.
Pat
is the m4 that colt makes for the military a full auto version, i assumed it would be. i don't know

rkwrichard
07-04-2010, 20:38
Between the two I would buy the Colt unless I was wanting to shoot service rifle matches then I would opt for the Rock River Arms A2 National Match. Just one mans opinion but that's what you asked.

mjkeat
07-04-2010, 23:50
is the m4 that colt makes for the military a full auto version, i assumed it would be. i don't know

Semi auto w/ burst

Don-wayne
07-05-2010, 14:41
I love my Rock River elite. I did change a few things like a BCM bcm. I use it for 3 gun and it has never let me down. It is real accurate and totally reliable. That being said there are alot of good choices out there. They are like a big boys Lego set. You can change are mod to meet your needs or taste.
Which ever you choose be sure to shoot the hell out of it. There is nothing more tragic than safe queens....

series1811
07-17-2010, 18:26

You're right about the government caring less about costs. Only people who haven't been in the federal government and seen how money gets spent think low cost means something to federal government bureaucrats. There are a lot of reasons, good and bad, for why contracts get selected, but price is almost never a consideration, no matter what the taxpayers think.

IQof1
07-17-2010, 21:04
if Colt is such high quality....how do you explain their 22lr M4?

the S&W M&P 15-22 walks all over that all day long!

i have an RRA, EOTECH combo that i picked up from a pawn shop for $600, yes $600 for BOTH! and yes....i DO know how F*ing lucky i am to have grabbed that! haha.

i am currently building a VLTOR MUR-1a, Danile Defense 16" 1:7 barrel, Troy Medieval Flash suppressor topped off with a Troy Ind. 13.8" MRF-RX free float tube on it. i am dropping all this on top of a Stag lower.

i am looking at the chrome BCM bolt carrier group, Magpul MOE stock & angle fore grip, hogue grip (all in Dark Earth). Also some Troy tritium flip-up irons, a YHM 45* angle mount to put a red-dot style sight on and a 3-9 scope of some sort to top off the upper. i would also like to drop a small, bright flashlight on the rig too. i just dont wanna get too "star wars" with the thing! hahaha.

i am looking to paint my VLTOR upper and Stag lower. i was thinking of doing a dark tan, light tan and grey pattern however, i would like to find a place on line that would let me simulate camo patterns before i go painting a $2000 rig....

just trying to prepare for the zombies or moon crickets....

HAIL CAESAR
07-17-2010, 21:15
Colt does not make the 22LR rifle with their name. It is made under license by Umarex.

Cheap 22 plinkers and trainers have no correspondence to high quality AR rifles.

IQof1
07-17-2010, 22:04
Colt does not make the 22LR rifle with their name. It is made under license by Umarex.

Cheap 22 plinkers and trainers have no correspondence to high quality AR rifles.

but by putting their name on the rifle, they are claiming responsibility for it. and quality should come first no matter what.

HAIL CAESAR
07-17-2010, 22:13
but by putting their name on the rifle, they are claiming responsibility for it. and quality should come first no matter what.

They license their name to other products to play with and for kids. Like the BB pistols.

Play toys should not be compared to the real thing.

faawrenchbndr
07-17-2010, 22:26

No they are selling their reputation to another company to allow them to sell a product.

IQof1
07-18-2010, 07:57
No they are selling their reputation to another company to allow them to sell a product.

same difference....

glock22357
07-18-2010, 08:27
if Colt is such high quality....how do you explain their 22lr M4?

the S&W M&P 15-22 walks all over that all day long!

i have an RRA, EOTECH combo that i picked up from a pawn shop for $600, yes $600 for BOTH! and yes....i DO know how F*ing lucky i am to have grabbed that! haha.

i am currently building a VLTOR MUR-1a, Danile Defense 16" 1:7 barrel, Troy Medieval Flash suppressor topped off with a Troy Ind.BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH....

Were you going to mention anything about Colt vrs. RRA?

mixflip
07-18-2010, 10:19
Resurrected thread? Still a good one though.

Its probably already been said but, it all depends on it intended use. If you are only going to poke holes in paper with about 1,000 rounds in a whole year and you arent a SWAT cop or contractor operator going to war (who has the option to bring your own rifle to war) then in realifty... the average Joe civilian plinker doesnt need a $1500 Colt AR15 that has a mil-spec 4150 chrome-moly Vanadium steel barrel that has been HP tested and MP inspected with a shot peened BCG & bolt and M4 feed ramps. Thats a little over kill to just poke holes in paper.

Its still money well spent but do you absolutely need to own a $1500 Colt that has been mil-spec tested and inspected and uses very high quality materials? Thats for the individual to figure out.

HAIL CAESAR
07-18-2010, 12:28
I guess the Crosman 1911 BB pistols at Walmart and the Tonka AR rifles in the popgun isle should be the same quality as the Colt 1911 and M16???

Naaa, they are just toys for kids so they can have toys just like Dad.

vrex
07-18-2010, 12:48
remember that MP and pressure testing are just diagnostics, not evidence of better quality materials. in 5 years I have never seen an AR barrel fail and I have only seen one bolt fail and the guy was shooting hot reloads. A properly staked gas key should take care of the one real weak link of the AR.
I inspected a 6920 recently and noticed that even the plastic of the handguards and stock appear to be of a high quality...these are good rifles. Are they more reliable or more accurate than most other manufacturers? I've never seen any heavy evidence of that. Will they outlast most other brands...? it would appear on paper that they would/should.

Also, if you shoot 55-62 grain ammo like most of us, the 1-in-7 twist barrel will burn out faster than a 1-in-9. The 1-in-7 is perfect for the uber expensive yet great 77 grain ammo, but 1-in-9 is better for 55-62.

HAIL CAESAR
07-18-2010, 13:10
I guess the Crosman 1911 BB pistols at Walmart and the Tonka AR rifles in the popgun isle should be the same quality as the Colt 1911 and M16???

Naaa, they are just toys for kids so they can have toys just like Dad.

IQof1
07-18-2010, 23:43
Were you going to mention anything about Colt vrs. RRA?

what a Richard............

but to appease you...i am not that impressed with Colt. their 1911'a are awesome, dont get me wrong. but, as far as the rifles...meh.

i love my RRA, ive owned it about 3 years now and unfortunately have only put about 1000 rds through it. the trigger on this thing is super smooth, much smoother than some of the Colts i have handled.

HAIL CAESAR
07-19-2010, 00:05
Colts are the measure of all rifles..AR's that is.

Colts are for everybody...but are geared to the more volume shooter. With CL barrels and the rugged triggers they are for folks that shoot or train hard.

RRA makes a rifle more for the average consumer. There barrels were non-CL'ed years ago and only some are now. There match triggers offer a nicer pull at the sake of longevity. Most go TU 1000 to 2000 rounds. Some go TU faster, but never knew one to last longer than 2,500'ish.

Also the Colt is a 5.56 chamber as some RRA ( if not most) are .223 Wylde chamber which is nice on a coyote gun but not needed (or recommend) for a M4 type rifle.

Also RRA gives the average shooter something to look at and brag about. Upper to lower tightness. That is a misnomer when it comes to how much "better" a rifle is. Actually a rifle that you can't easily push the pins with your fingers is a sever determent. If you can't push a pin easily to clear a popped primer...you might be SOL. If the rifle is so tight that you can't easily slap it together and push the pins to closed you may be SOL. I have seen many RRA so tight you had to use a tool to push the pins. If you used a cartridge you would set the bullet back in the case. To close them you had to lay across the rifle with all your weight to close it. This is not good at all in a trainer or Police carbine...actually it is terrible. But if your a coyote hunter it wouldn't matter a bit.

So my recommendation is if you are a coyote shooter, target shooter, or low volume shooter.....the RRA is a great rifle.

If you want a high volume shooter, trainer, or want a Police carbine the Colt is the clear winner.