What shotgun for quail and clays? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What shotgun for quail and clays?

Range Rat
11-22-2009, 09:47
Hey all,
I went quail hunting for the first time last week. Man, that was fun and I could do it again. My buddy lent me his Ruger Red Label 20 gauge and I killed my share of birds. It seemed to point unnaturally for me (seemed too low, couldn't get my head down enough to sight down the barrel) and I would like to consider other options. No need for a showpiece/fancy gun but I don't want junk either. Don't mind paying for quality. I'd like a high quality, moderately priced "field" gun that I can push through high grass, brambles and brush with and not worry about beating it up. Any advice you can give me will be very appreciated.

noway
11-22-2009, 15:46
Anything that fits you. I've killed them ( quail ) with autoloader, pumps and OU. Get a gun that fits you and 1st decide on what type of shotgun you want and what's legal for your neck of the woods for quail.

vafish
11-23-2009, 07:27
Personally I think the perfect quail gun and the perfect clays gun are on opposite ends of the shotgun spectrum.

A perfect quail gun is a light weight 20 ga that can be carried in the fields all day long. You what a shorter, light, fast swinging barrel to get on the unpredictable target fast. Recoil is not a huge factor unless you miss a lot you probably won't fire a box of shells in a day. We are allowed 6 quail per day.

The perfect clays gun is a 12 ga with a longer heavier barrel for a smooth swing on a predictable target. The clays gun should be low recoil for extended shooting sessions. one round of trap or skeet is 25 shots, a round of Sporting Clays is usually 50 shots. Shooting several rounds in a day is normal. I usually fire 75-100 shots on a visit to the trap or skeet range.

But it really depends, what are you going to do more? I shoot more clay targets than bird hunt, so my choice would be closer to a dedicated clays gun that I would take bird hunting occasionally.

If I had to pick one gun to do both I would probably choose a semi auto 12 ga like a Remington 1187.

However if I were in the position to hunt more and shoot clays less I would probably pick a nice over under 20 ga.

gunrunner0
11-23-2009, 11:14
You might look at a Browning Citori, or if you have a big budget you cant beet a Blaser. Both are light and wee built shotguns. If your looking on the cheaper side, a simple Remington 870 with a 26" barrel for quail and a 28" or even 30" for clays. Just my opinion though.

noway
11-23-2009, 13:04
A auto loader would be much quicker on follow ups. Something to think about.