Coyote article in Charlotte Observer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Coyote article in Charlotte Observer

trane fan
11-22-2009, 16:54
A disturbing article appears in today's (Sunday) Observer. I live in Lincolnton and folks here have been seeing Coyotes for years. I have taken to keeping my M1 carbine loaded and placed nearby for this very issue. Have others of you Metro-Charlotte Tar Heels noticed an increase in Coyote sightings?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/topstories/story/1069520.html

freespirit34
11-22-2009, 17:02
Here in Morganton they are quite common. Not as metro as Hickory or Charlotte, but not that far away either.

Glock30sfNC
11-22-2009, 18:51
They are around the Charlotte area. I wouldn't say in the heart of city, in the midst of buildings/people/and parking garages, but I wouldn't put it past them either. However i've seen them, with my own two eyes, only 20-30 minutes outside what you would think of as the city and those areas are booming with population increase. Other people have spotted them on their property near by... Am I worried?, not too much, am I complacent? almost certainly not.

nursetim
11-22-2009, 21:05
They were around the triangle before I left.

Eagle22
11-23-2009, 06:25
They were around the triangle before I left.

Lots of 'yotes around Raleigh.

Shot two this year Near Wake Forest. and two in eastern NC North or Rocky Mount

One in the field across the street and one in my yard eating a dead cat.

All 50 states have coyotes and they are a bigger problem them ppl think.

They will interbred with wild dogs, will eat small dogs and cats, eat garbage, can be a carrier for all kinds of diseases and could get rabies.

Dont think there is a hunting season for 'yotes, a deputy said to me just use good hunting practices. ( know your back stop, not near houses, and not across roads.

One I shot in my yard I shot off my front porch last spring.

WiskyT
11-23-2009, 20:12
Some of the old timers at my club were saying that the coyotes are being stocked to keep the deer population down at the demand of the car insurance companies. They said the state gvt will never admit it, but that it is being done. I don't know if it's an urban legend or what, but it sounds plausible.

From what I understand, coyotes can breed with dogs, but the offspring will be sterile, so they only go one generation.

We used to have a bobcat that would pass through our backyard a few years ago, but I haven't seen it in a while. I haven't seen any coyotes, but they are pretty good at not being seen. I live in the 'burbs of Charlotte and spend about 8 hrs a day on the roads within a 100 mile radius.

trane fan
11-24-2009, 09:42
The first one I ever saw was the result of my neighbor (who is elderly) telling his Wife to come look out the window at the "ugliest dog" he had ever seen. The Wife called me in a panic after telling her Husband that the "ugly dog" was in fact a Coyote. :shocked: :rofl:

CarolinaKat
11-25-2009, 09:42
I live in a semi-rural area of north Meck outside of Davidson near Iredell county. Coyotes have been killing family dogs and cats up here for probably the past 5 years. I've never seen any but have definately heard them at night in the woods. A friend and co-worker who lives down the road had his 3 dogs attacked by a pack of them about 2 years ago. Happened about midnight, he let the dogs out to do their business before going to bed. He was at the kitchen sink getting a drink of water and he heard the fight/rucus. Ran outside and all he could find was his chewed up beagle. The beagle survived but he never found the other 2 dogs. I think his other 2 dogs were daschunds.

Last winter my son's best friend (Huntersville) was loading up his hunting gear and boat to go duck hunting very early (before light) to go hunting on Mt Island. They live on several wooded acres off of Mt Holly-H'ville Rd and have a outdoor utility light pole near the driveway. He said he felt like something was watching him and he looked around and 2 coyotes were in the yard at the edge of the woods kind of stalking him. Of course, the shotgun was packed away in a case in the boat. He yelled at them and walked toward them and they ran away.

When my son took the NC Hunter safety course at BassPro several years ago, the NC Wildlife officer who taught the class was really encouraging people to hunt coyotes. He was giving them all tips on how to hunt them and promoting it because its open season on them year round. He told the class that they were really getting to be a problem in the area.

Glock30sfNC
11-25-2009, 15:36
Some of the old timers at my club were saying that the coyotes are being stocked to keep the deer population down at the demand of the car insurance companies. They said the state gvt will never admit it, but that it is being done. I don't know if it's an urban legend or what, but it sounds plausible.

From what I understand, coyotes can breed with dogs, but the offspring will be sterile, so they only go one generation.

We used to have a bobcat that would pass through our backyard a few years ago, but I haven't seen it in a while. I haven't seen any coyotes, but they are pretty good at not being seen. I live in the 'burbs of Charlotte and spend about 8 hrs a day on the roads within a 100 mile radius.

I have heard this same rumor, i'm not sure how true it is... but I could see it as a possibility.

That's all Brother
12-19-2009, 23:53
There is one that has been seen several times around Wbt studios. On Morehead, between Wilkinson Blvd and Freedom Drive. They say it is the same one that keeps showing up.

Jake Mountain
12-24-2009, 07:45
I'm not really sure why it would be disturbing that we have coyotes around, as well as foxes, there will always be wild canines as long as there is food for them. I live 10 miles west of Statesville near the Catawba river and we hear them at night quite frequently.

paul45
01-07-2010, 10:47
A disturbing article appears in today's (Sunday) Observer. I live in Lincolnton and folks here have been seeing Coyotes for years. I have taken to keeping my M1 carbine loaded and placed nearby for this very issue. Have others of you Metro-Charlotte Tar Heels noticed an increase in Coyote sightings?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/topstories/story/1069520.html

Why would coyotes be disturbing to you?

trifecta
01-07-2010, 11:36
Why would coyotes be disturbing to you?

Cuz they're dangerous, man eating, wild animals. Almost as terrifying as the hawks and owls that might carry off one of my kids.

bullybrdr
01-08-2010, 11:08
I remember reading an article a few years ago that back in the late 40's early 50's people in Louisiana and Mississippi were reporting that coyotes were migrating in from Texas. A few years later, people in Georgia were reporting coyotes.I think its safe to say that in the next 40-some years that they could have easily migrated from Georgia to the Carolinas.(Just think about how quickly groundhogs have covered our region)

iu7576
01-09-2010, 23:05
There was one roaming around my neighborhood in Matthews on Thursday.