Hollow Points??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Points???

jv56
11-24-2009, 06:24
Well not much action here in the G-36 Thin to Win Club, so I am throwing this out there. I carry G-36 almost 24/7 and love it, that being said I do not use hollow points for self defense and carry standard ball ammo. I do not really think it matters with 45 ACP if you carry FMJ or HP's. I do know the difference between the two. What are your thoughts on that and just wanted to know if anybody else carry's ball ammo for self defense??

Eekamouse01
11-24-2009, 06:51
Well not much action here in the G-36 Thin to Win Club, so I am throwing this out there. I carry G-36 almost 24/7 and love it, that being said I do not use hollow points for self defense and carry standard ball ammo. I do not really think it matters with 45 ACP if you carry FMJ or HP's. I do know the difference between the two. What are your thoughts on that and just wanted to know if anybody else carry's ball ammo for self defense??

Personally, in my G17C & G26, I carry either Magtech Guardian Gold or Remington Golden Saber 124 gr JHP's. Even these have 18" of gel penetration, so the ball would probably continue further, whereby creating potential through-and-through damage/injury to others and/or property. Not sure of the ballistic capabilities on the .45, but I'd think the JHP's would do some extremely nasty damage whereas the ball may keep-on-trucking through the body looking for another potential victim. :shocked:

Just my thoughts. :whistling:

Y-NotG23
11-24-2009, 07:41
I'd think the JHP's would do some extremely nasty damage whereas the ball may keep-on-trucking through the body looking for another potential victim. :shocked:

Just my thoughts. :whistling:

Agreed.
I carry hollow points for two reasons.

To stop the bad guy ASAP.
To stop the round from passing through (hopefully) and hitting someone/something else.

Regardless of what you carry and what you have loaded, something is better than nothing.

tuica
11-24-2009, 11:46
I agree with the hollow point comments, however in situations where over-penetration would not be a hazard, ball would be fine. And I have carried ball in all four of my 45 ACP launchers. Sometimes one can worry too much. Also, being interested in most aspects of weapon related technology, it is compelling to experiment with many types of bullet design.

jv56
11-24-2009, 14:27
I am not sure 45 ACP ball would over penatrate due to the fact the FPS is a lot less than other calibers 40 or .357 sig where I could see using JHP. I am thinking 45 be more of a thud. By no means I am no expert just curious as some (gun) alegedly experts have told me it doesn't matter with 45 ACP the FMJ is fine. Just curious how others feel about it.

Graves
11-24-2009, 14:38
I am not sure 45 ACP ball would over penatrate due to the fact the FPS is a lot less than other calibers 40 or .357 sig where I could see using JHP. I am thinking 45 be more of a thud. By no means I am no expert just curious as some (gun) alegedly experts have told me it doesn't matter with 45 ACP the FMJ is fine. Just curious how others feel about it.

The added weight makes up for speed and has more punch out @ farther distances so even at 750fps a 230gr .45 auto has enough weight behind it to pass through a body (Think - a 185gr +P load @ 1100fps generally wont dig as deep as a 230gr load @ 900fps). My question to you would be...Whats not to like about added volume to the wound canal from an expanding jhp? Unless of course you're on the receiving end.

jv56
11-24-2009, 14:52
Thanks Graves, I like the 185 gr JHP and the expansion and have carried it, but just getting different thoughts, however right now I have FMJ ammo in G-36. HEHE

Jim S.
11-26-2009, 07:29
The odds are that you will miss your target more often than you will over penetrate through it.
Not all hollow points do what they are supposed to do and essentially become FMJ rounds. The plus side to them is that usually they have a bit more velocity behind them than the standard FMJ.
If you put a round in a vital spot it won't really matter if it is a JHP or a FMJ, especially true in 45's.
But...
There are plenty of very good hollow points out there, and the Glocks have no problem feeding them.
If they are a slight advantage over FMJ rounds why not use them? At the very least they will perform as well as the FMJ and many times they will be better.

G36_Me
11-26-2009, 21:47
The reason I don't use hollow points is I cannot afford to shoot enough of them to prove they function in my gun, at least that's my perspective on cost. I've shot 1000s of 230 gr. regular old ball and things work fine. So for me, it just a matter of balancing the price and reliability issue in my G36 and 1911s.

Jim S.
11-27-2009, 07:43
The reason I don't use hollow points is I cannot afford to shoot enough of them to prove they function in my gun,

Well, that is a good point but you can shoot a few of the top brands and pick one out. Doesn't have to be in one day. It took me a long time to go through the rounds I tested.
Using FMJ because you can't afford to test them all is not really a good excuse for not testing a box of Gold Dots or a box of Corbons.
All of the top name HP's work fine these days. Pick one and try it. If it feeds a box then carry it. The advantage over FMJ is worth the cost of trying a box and shooting less cheap stuff a couple of times.

den888
11-27-2009, 18:06
When I have a 1911 in .45 ACP for self defense, I carry it with 230 FMJ ball.

captcurly
11-28-2009, 18:39
I carry my G 36 with Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel JHPs. I have read good things about this ammo. If JHPS are not your thing check out Hornady Critical Defense 45ACP ammo.

kemosabe
11-29-2009, 08:28
I carry mine with 185 gr Winchester Silver Tips.:cool:

G36_Me
11-29-2009, 18:11
Well, that is a good point but you can shoot a few of the top brands and pick one out. Doesn't have to be in one day. It took me a long time to go through the rounds I tested.
Using FMJ because you can't afford to test them all is not really a good excuse for not testing a box of Gold Dots or a box of Corbons.
All of the top name HP's work fine these days. Pick one and try it. If it feeds a box then carry it. The advantage over FMJ is worth the cost of trying a box and shooting less cheap stuff a couple of times.

Good coaching and advice. I will take this under consideration. Thanks

Ak.Hiker
11-30-2009, 22:26
The Speer Lawman 230 TMJ and the Double Tap 230 TMJ both run good in my Glock 36. I would not have a problem at all with either as a carry load. I have it loaded right now with the Hornady 230 TAP +P but I like the ball loads as well. I did some penetration testing a few years ago on moose leg bones and the 230 ball was pretty impressive in its ability to bust through bone and hold together.

leidenheimer
12-05-2009, 11:58
Ever thought of using Federal expanding full metal jackets?

mplecha
12-06-2009, 01:26
So far, my wife's 36 has fed everything. neither of us carry it, but if she chooses to, it will be with winchester ranger sxt. it hasn't had any trouble with those, and I have a lot of them I got cheap. I carry that in my 1911.

Chevy327
12-14-2009, 23:09
HP or Ball...it's going straight on through.

I'm not basing my above statement on this, but I have shot 200 grain SWC reloads at 750 fps through the double-sided curved part (under the window) of a 1966 Chevrolet truck door. The bullets were kicking up substantial dirt geysers on a dirt embankment about 100yards away after going through both metal sides of the door. The holes in the door were impressive.

Ak.Hiker
12-15-2009, 23:25
HP or Ball...it's going straight on through.

I'm not basing my above statement on this, but I have shot 200 grain SWC reloads at 750 fps through the double-sided curved part (under the window) of a 1966 Chevrolet truck door. The bullets were kicking up substantial dirt geysers on a dirt embankment about 100yards away after going through both metal sides of the door. The holes in the door were impressive.

I have some 200 grain LBT loads for my S&W 45 acp revolver. They penetrate pretty good through logs. I guess it does not take a real hot load to penetrate deep with the SWC and LBT cast bullet designs.

55spartan
12-16-2009, 18:27
Federal HST all the way, runs smooth and would put an end to any situation.

Chevy327
12-21-2009, 00:03
I really not trying to stir, here, but I've seen JHP bullets go through things that you would think would stop them, with alot of power after over-penetration. You can pretty much count on modern defensive pistol ammunition, 45, 40, 357 sig, 9mm, to go through, Glazers and the like notwithstanding.

Brent10mm
12-21-2009, 10:56
well on my side right now, like most of the time, is my G36 with Ranger T's .

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/brentmyost/100_0381.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/brentmyost/100_0380.jpg

yes, those are quarters.
just a nasty round.

my 2nd choice would be Federal HST.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/brentmyost/100_0387.jpg

3rd, Gold dot.

I see no reason not to carry good modern HP's, practice with FMJ's, function test a box of HP's, then carry confidently.

you carry for a reason... to stop a "life&death threat" and while a 45 fmj will work, the HP will work faster in stopping that threat. Fractions of seconds matter in that scenario. Furthermore, you may or may not hit CNS/vitals, perfect placement when SHTF usually does not happen.

Clownblaster3000
01-19-2010, 16:39
I carry federal HST +Ps in my Glock 36. When tested the HST consistantly opened up to .90" or larger. That's too much goodness not to use.

Ak.Hiker
01-19-2010, 23:01
I carry federal HST +Ps in my Glock 36. When tested the HST consistantly opened up to .90" or larger. That's too much goodness not to use.

It is one heck of a good load for sure. I keep my S&W Model 1955 45 acp revolver loaded with it.

OMEGA5
01-22-2010, 18:01
I have 2 1911's. One will not feed HP ammo reliably at all. I've tried nearly every
HP ammo known to man and it just won't feed. I've polished the feed ramp, used several
different brands of magazines but no go. I've even changed the bbl with my other
1911 that feeds anything and it didn't work. It feeds FMJ with a perfect record so when I
carry it, it's FMJ. For my other 1911 and my 36, it's Gold Dot JHP's. BTW, the 1911 use
to be my duty piece. With FMJ, I knew I could penetrate a car door or heavy winter
clothing. I keep it for sentimental reasons. If I hadn't had carried it for so many years,
I'd trade it for a 21,
Dano

dreis454
01-22-2010, 18:21
I have 2 1911's. One will not feed HP ammo reliably at all. I've tried nearly every
HP ammo known to man and it just won't feed. I've polished the feed ramp, used several
different brands of magazines but no go. I've even changed the bbl with my other
1911 that feeds anything and it didn't work. It feeds FMJ with a perfect record so when I
carry it, it's FMJ. For my other 1911 and my 36, it's Gold Dot JHP's. BTW, the 1911 use
to be my duty piece. With FMJ, I knew I could penetrate a car door or heavy winter
clothing. I keep it for sentimental reasons. If I hadn't had carried it for so many years,
I'd trade it for a 21,
Dano
Dano,check out the Federal EFMJ rounds for the 1911.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/guns-and-weapons/federal-efmj-ammo/

OMEGA5
01-23-2010, 06:47
Dano,check out the Federal EFMJ rounds for the 1911.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/guns-and-weapons/federal-efmj-ammo/

That's one round I haven't tried, mainly because I haven't been able
to find any. Same with Powerball. I found 1 box of 20 rounds a few
years back and have a few left and they do feed great but are hard
to find and when you do, they are expensive:crying:
Dano