What is the niche filled by the Ruger 10/22? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What is the niche filled by the Ruger 10/22?

MarkG
11-24-2009, 17:39
In the rifle world, what is the niche filled by the Ruger 10/22?

I get that it's inexpensive out of the box, that it shoots inexpensive ammo, and that it can be compact and lightweight, depending on mods.

It can be used for taking small game, like squirrels or rabbits. What other game or pests are suitable for this rifle?

How accurate can you expect it to be, unmodified? What accuracy mods give the best results for money spent?

How reliable can you expect it to be, unmodified? What reliability mods give the best bang for the buck?

Where is the sweet spot for this rifle where accuracy and reliability mods start to cost so much that you might as well start with a different platform?

What similar rifles are out there, for a given purpose?

What questions did I forget to ask? :supergrin:

mserr
11-24-2009, 18:27
it is accurate "enough" out of the box for all the uses you listed. The 10/22 is just a great rifle to learn the fundamentals, and to tinker around for yourself.

bluejdixon
11-24-2009, 18:37
The 10/22 is a fantastic rifle. Mine has been as reliable as my bolt actions.

http://members.shaw.ca/glockpictures/ruger1022/ruger1022.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/glockpictures/ruger1022/nov18501.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/glockpictures/ruger1022/nov18502.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/glockpictures/ruger1022/nov181001.jpg

sublime
11-24-2009, 19:56
Tons of accessories and highly customizable.

HAMMERHEAD
11-24-2009, 20:44
The only mod mine needed was a Volquartsen hammer to cure the 9 pound trigger pull. I added a 4X scope with fine crosshairs (Leupold 4x Rimfire Special). Mine will shoot dime size groups at 50 yards with good ammo, and quarter size groups with cheap ammo.
Reliability has been near perfect, even in extreme cold.
Some day I would like to add an extended mag release, but it's not a necessity.
I'm not a benchrest competitor, so expensive, heavy barrels and fancy stocks don't do me any good.
Niche is not a word that I associate with the 10-22 considering it's popularity. It's probably taken more small game than any other rifle since it's introduction.
The question is what do you want in a .22?

Power Pistol Pete
11-24-2009, 20:52
They're fun!

MarkG
11-24-2009, 21:40
I don't know much about rifles. I'm wondering why the 10-22 should be in my tool box.

What I've heard so far is that it's an inexpensive (in both purchase cost and ammo cost) skill builder and varminter, very reliable, very accurate inside 50 yards, reasonably accurate to maybe 100, with minimal mods.

That's what I meant by "niche". Beyond 100 yards, I should use another rifle, which presumably will cost me somewhat more in purchase and ammo cost.

Sound about right?

M1A Shooter
11-24-2009, 22:06
i am going to add a 10/22 to my safe very soon and set it up with tech sights so its more of a trainer for my M14. the 10/22, mini14/30/6.8 and the M14/M1A all have the same manual of arms.

its an easy rifle for my wife to start shooting since my M14 scares her a bit.

its agreat varmint rifle.

its cheap to shoot.

HAMMERHEAD
11-24-2009, 23:24
Beyond a hundred yards the .22lr really starts to drop off as far as accuracy, trajectory and power, regardless of the rifle. Even a top notch bolt action .22 with $20/box ammo from Europe has limited power and the trajectory drops off the table.
For range you have to start looking at .22 Hornets, .222's and .223's in a good bolt gun. The Remington Tactical .223 is an economical, accurate gun with range.

mserr
11-24-2009, 23:30
Mine shoots dime sized groups at 50 yards with good ammo too. I added a VQ target hammer, 4x Nikon prostaff rimfire scope and a Power Custom sharp claw extractor that's it. Reliability has also been near flawless. The only reason I replaced the extractor was because the 1 in 100 failure to extract bugged me lol. I've also shot steel plates at 435 yards with it easily, heck of a hold over but it can be done.

vafish
11-25-2009, 07:38
I don't know much about rifles. I'm wondering why the 10-22 should be in my tool box.

What I've heard so far is that it's an inexpensive (in both purchase cost and ammo cost) skill builder and varminter, very reliable, very accurate inside 50 yards, reasonably accurate to maybe 100, with minimal mods.

That's what I meant by "niche". Beyond 100 yards, I should use another rifle, which presumably will cost me somewhat more in purchase and ammo cost.

Sound about right?

The 10-22 fills a number of Niche's. The reason you should have one in your tool box is because they do a number of things well.

The .22 LR is great on small game, great for a survival rifle, poachers have been using them for a long time on big game as well it just requires real precise shot placement.

As you already said it's a great skill builder, cheap to get a lot of trigger time with.

They are just plain fun to shoot.

Shooting animals past 100 yards you will probably want something else, but target shooting a .22LR at 200 yards will help you develop the skill for shooting high powered rifles at much longer ranges.

JFrame
11-25-2009, 08:20
What is the niche filled by the Ruger 10/22?

"Parts." :supergrin:

Glockdude1
11-25-2009, 08:24
The 10/22 is a classic all around .22 rifle that anyone can shoot, young or old.

:cool:

My2Dogs
11-25-2009, 16:06
great toys, get a kidd trigger and barrel then you got a rat killing machine!!

mboylan
11-26-2009, 09:22
The barrel isn't threaded into the receiver. It's easy to replace at home. You can buy a Ruger 10/22 receiver and build just about any custom gun you want at home.

It's also easy to switch from a .22 barrel to a .17 Mach2.

MarkG
11-27-2009, 09:48
The barrel isn't threaded into the receiver. It's easy to replace at home. You can buy a Ruger 10/22 receiver and build just about any custom gun you want at home.

It's also easy to switch from a .22 barrel to a .17 Mach2.

Oh boy, this is what I was afraid I'd hear :supergrin:

Other people said it, but this is very specific. I was actually thinking that with all the mods people seem to make, why not just start with the receiver.

Do you need any specialized tools? Last tinkering gun I got was a bare bones RIA 1911, with a tiny, very uncomfortable beavertail. My gunsmith said "Oh yes, definitely replace that. Here's a great part. Sure you can fit it yourself, but it's a *lot* easier if you have access to a machine shop."

Do similar suprises await with the 10/22?

ArmyCop
11-27-2009, 10:22
If you do an internet search you’ll also find it’s a choice of Israel for a sniper rifle.

mboylan
11-27-2009, 12:30
Oh boy, this is what I was afraid I'd hear :supergrin:

Other people said it, but this is very specific. I was actually thinking that with all the mods people seem to make, why not just start with the receiver.

Do you need any specialized tools? Last tinkering gun I got was a bare bones RIA 1911, with a tiny, very uncomfortable beavertail. My gunsmith said "Oh yes, definitely replace that. Here's a great part. Sure you can fit it yourself, but it's a *lot* easier if you have access to a machine shop."

Do similar suprises await with the 10/22?

Screwdrivers and punches. You can strip it down to parts in a few minutes. It takes 5 minutes to replace the barrel. The trigger group is modular. Trigger packs can be changed out in a few minutes as well. It's possible to start with a bolt/receiver and build a gun in less than an hour. Parts advertised as drop-in are truly drop-in. It's like a Lego set.

mac66
11-28-2009, 15:33
The only reason people modify the 10/22 is because it is easy. It really doesn't need anything out of the box but people somehow feel compelled to tinker with stuff, especially people who read gun forums.

My only regret in life is that I didn't invent a 10/22 gizmo that I could sell to suckers and make a lot of money.

vafish
11-29-2009, 06:10
If you do an internet search youíll also find itís a choice of Israel for a sniper rifle.

A more thorough search will reveal that they were originally issued as a "Less Than Lethal" crowd control device. The idea was to shoot trouble making protesters in the legs. Problem was that the IDF soldiers seemed to default to their training and too many aimed COM resulting in dead protesters. The Suppressed 10-22 rifles were pulled from service. They may still occasionally use them for special purposes, but they are not any sort of primary sniper rifle.

Twisted Steel
11-29-2009, 14:35

If you have to ask, then there is absolutely no reason one should be in your tool box.

What ammo do the rest of you find good? I just got back from a horrendous day at the range with mine, and was extremely disappointed with the accuracy. I tried Federal and Remington, and wasn't too happy with either.

The Ram Line Mag sucked too.

mac66
11-29-2009, 19:00
BTW,

My kids were home for the holiday (the youngest a sophomore in college) this weekend and said they wanted to shoot. We shoot at an undisclosed outdoors location.

Besides the AR, AK, and a rack of pistols we took a couple 10/22s. One being a rifle I cut down for my daughter (the sophomore). I have about 20 cheap 30 round mags, a couple 25 round mags and a dozen 10 rounders. I think the kids went through them 3 or 4 times.

With the price of ammo these days, there are few things funner than a 10/22 and lots of magazines.

ronin_the_great
11-29-2009, 21:11
Only bad thing I can say about mine is...reloading. Really need to invest in one of those nifty speed loaders. To the OP, check out rimfirecentral.com. That site has all the ins and outs about the 10/22, lots of great info to be had there. And I'm sure some one has posted a do-it-yourself mod to convert a 10/22 into a Porsche:supergrin:

1faSStchevy
11-29-2009, 21:28
Growing up my dads 10/22 was what I loved to shoot. As far as I know it was completly stock. I ustakood unscrew a bottle cap about half way, get back about 20 yards and take the cap off without touching the bottle. Really loved the thing and this weekend got a chance to play with it again. At 15 yards I was able to keep 10 rounds in a 2" circle firing pretty quick, I'd say under 10sec. After our reuniteing I checked some local shops for a 10/22 of my own. Without a doubt I will be getting one in the near future.

GSSF17
11-30-2009, 17:43
If you have to ask, then there is absolutely no reason one should be in your tool box.

What ammo do the rest of you find good? I just got back from a horrendous day at the range with mine, and was extremely disappointed with the accuracy. I tried Federal and Remington, and wasn't too happy with either.

The Ram Line Mag sucked too.

Mine shoots Federal Spitfire and Aguila match hyper velocity with AMAZING accuracy. The Federal Spitfire is half the cost, so that's my winner.

Remington GBs are average for accuracy. I have had about 6 duds per 525. Decently reliable, but not the most accurate.

Butler creek steel lips mags for me, or well adjusted factory mags. No problems with either ones.

toshbar
11-30-2009, 23:35
I love mine. I did do the hammer replacement to get trigger pull down from 9 lbs. it's about 3-4 now. and i did the bolt buffer. butler creek folding stock, see through scope rings and my old bb gun scope. i just went to Appleseed and got a usgi sling and found out how accurate it is. i could easily shoot dime sized groups at 25 yards with chitty bulk ammo.

I bought it in June and I wanted to see how long it would go without cleaning before it began to malfunction. Well I got up around 4k rounds and it performed fine, no hiccups whatsoever. I decided to clean and lube it anyway. I figured after 4k rounds and still going fine it probably just cleans itself or something. it was exceptionally dirty inside. And that was 4k rounds of THE DIRTIEST ammo i've ever seen. a few boxes of the winchester 555 and 333 deals had crusty wax all over them, the 10/22 ate that stuff like med-rare steak and kept on chuggin. I can't remember it failing to feed or eject ever. light primer strikes and duds are the only cause of failures that i can tell.

It's like the trusty Jeep 4.0L straight 6; the design is from the 60's and hasn't changed if that says anything.

yerscattergun
01-16-2010, 22:43
Mine shoots Federal Spitfire and Aguila match hyper velocity with AMAZING accuracy. The Federal Spitfire is half the cost, so that's my winner.

Remington GBs are average for accuracy. I have had about 6 duds per 525. Decently reliable, but not the most accurate.

Butler creek steel lips mags for me, or well adjusted factory mags. No problems with either ones.

You stole my avatar.

Rooster Rugburn
01-17-2010, 10:33
If you want to label a "niche" for the 10-22, I would think it would be a tinkerers dream. Cheap isn't necessarily a niche because there are better rifles like the Marlin and Savage that are inexpensive, are more accurate, and often cost less.

If you like tinkering with guns, the 10-22 is the one to get. Maybe even as a starter tinker. If you mess it up, you don't lose anything and it's cheap to replace. If you screw up a component, it's cheap to replace. You can buy it stock, then start replacing the stock, barrel, trigger group etc to get it accuratized and sweet. And there is some satisfaction to it.

If you have problems with it, you can spend hour upon hour on the internet trying to find a solution.

Mine is a piece of garbage, but I finally got it shooting consistently. In hindsight, it was a challenge and somewhat fun, as long as I had a good rifle to shoot. I would try something to the Ruger, take it to the club and shoot it. When it didn't shoot, I would get out the Weatherby and have fun.

Ruger QC totally sucks, but that adds a little challenge to the project.

CajunBass
01-17-2010, 12:25
The same "niche" any other 22 rifle fills, except for pure target rifle.

You'll fine people who like this brand or that brand more, but you can say that about most anything.

GSSF17
01-18-2010, 20:03
You stole my avatar.

Changed.

This now reflects my status as Proud Infidel of the Major League variety................:supergrin:

Glock-it-to-me
01-18-2010, 20:20
They can be quite intimidating.

http://vpcblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/10-22gatling.jpg

Brucev
01-18-2010, 22:50
In the rifle world, Ruger's 10-22 is the envy of competitive manufacturers. It combines a attractive pleasing design with a well shaped stock, excellent ergonomics, quality iron sights, a front sight that is especially neat and appealing, a high quality trigger, a barrel that is sufficiently heavy so as to offer good accuracy while not being to long or heavy so as to impede handling qualities. It offers the dynamic handling qualities of a carbine combined with the excellent accuracy of a high quality small game rifle that with good ammunition will produce groups that will rival those produced by good quality bolt-action rifles. With a high quality scope, the 10-22 is an outstanding semi-automatic rifle that will meet the needs of young boys and girls being introduced to shooting and grown men and women who desire a high quality .22 LR rifle for informal target shooting, hunting, etc. When my daughters wanted to learn to shoot, without hesitation I bought them each their own 10-22. Both are now grown and in college. My youngest daughter came home recently for a visit. Asked what she wanted to do, she said, "Let's go shooting!" The next day we took off with the rifles and ammo. She fired 800 rounds. More than likely their children will enjoy learning to shoot using these rifles. Why not? The 10-22 is an outstanding design that is nothing less than a classic American small bore rifle. Sincerely. Brucev.

toshbar
01-18-2010, 23:30
I just picked up 2k rounds of .22LR today for $60.

THAT is the niche of the 10/22.

Rooster Rugburn
01-19-2010, 17:02
.... a high quality trigger....

Of all that, I felt this was the most interesting. :whistling:

toshbar
01-19-2010, 17:39
Of all that, I felt this was the most interesting. :whistling:
after a $40 hammer kit to reduce trigger pull from the 50# and it becomes a mediocre trigger.

GSSF17
01-19-2010, 18:16
after a $40 hammer kit to reduce trigger pull from the 50# and it becomes a mediocre trigger.

You think? I think the Volquartsen Target Hammer kit is an amazing upgrade compared to factory, and made the trigger much better than only mediocre. I coupled the Volq kit with a little polishing and received great results.

Faulkner
01-19-2010, 20:21
If you want to label a "niche" for the 10-22, I would think it would be a tinkerers dream.

I would totally agree. I've had my 10/22 for over 25 years and it's seen a number of mods and upgrades. I probably will never be satisfied with it, not because it's a 10/22 but because the availability of customizable parts and accessories on the market mean you don't have to settle for out of the box, you can make it your own design.

toshbar
01-19-2010, 21:23
You think? I think the Volquartsen Target Hammer kit is an amazing upgrade compared to factory, and made the trigger much better than only mediocre. I coupled the Volq kit with a little polishing and received great results.
It's actually not that bad. It reduced trigger pull from 8-9lbs. to 3-4lbs as i'm told by the interwebs, I have not verified this number.

that in itself makes the trigger and the gun 100x more usable.

Super Trucker
01-19-2010, 22:35
What similar rifles are out there, for a given purpose?

Marlin model 60

Petrie
01-19-2010, 22:42
10/22 is a nice rifle. I really like the design. It's so easy to tear down and clean. I've had very good accuracy and reliability with mine.