Best indoor shooting range in Woodstock Marietta area? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best indoor shooting range in Woodstock Marietta area?

joepa150
11-24-2009, 20:52
I have gone to Wild West and Nicks. I also went to Pannells once a long time ago.

Which one of these do you all prefer?

Wild West I like but is the furthest from me.

Also I read online that Pannells only wants you to use their ammo??? Is that just for rentals or even on your own guns??

I enjoy great customer service. From my experience Wild West seemed the best. Nicks didn't have bad customer service but they just were not overly friendly. Pannells I have only been there once so I cannot comment but from what I read they have poor customer service and seem to send people to Nicks if they are beginners.

stumpjumper
11-25-2009, 05:25
Wild West is the cleanest and best lit. Nicks is OK but has the "attitude". I haven't shot at Pannells, but my son has and has been hit by "flying lead". Last week I went to Hi Caliber in Holly Springs. His range is supposed to open mid December. It looks like it's going to be "state of the art" and from what I've heard very good prices for range use.

joepa150
11-25-2009, 06:58
Wild West is the cleanest and best lit. Nicks is OK but has the "attitude". I haven't shot at Pannells, but my son has and has been hit by "flying lead". Last week I went to Hi Caliber in Holly Springs. His range is supposed to open mid December. It looks like it's going to be "state of the art" and from what I've heard very good prices for range use.

I heard about "flying lead" at Pannells.

I never understood the "attitude" that a lot of gun store/range employees have. I think it is just them being "macho" because they have a gun on them.

frank_drebin
12-01-2009, 13:20
I used to live up that way and in Marietta, I like Wild West the best. We have since moved South and I really like my local range in Fayetteville, Autrey's Armory. The worst case of the "attitude" I have ever seen is at Georgia Range and Guns in Forest Park. It's staffed by a team of Mall Ninjas that are too good for you.

FillYerHands
12-02-2009, 07:04
I've shot at Nick's and it was okay.

To those who think Nick's has attitude, try this. Next time you are in the area, drive up the road to Old Time Pottery. Go walk around for an hour and a half and look at throw pillows and rugs and dinner ware with your spouse.

The next day, go to Nick's for an hour and a half instead. Just shoot, don't try to be their buddy.

Then you will see why I don't mind. And my wife doesn't mind dropping me off.

joepa150
12-02-2009, 07:53
I've shot at Nick's and it was okay.

To those who think Nick's has attitude, try this. Next time you are in the area, drive up the road to Old Time Pottery. Go walk around for an hour and a half and look at throw pillows and rugs and dinner ware with your spouse.

The next day, go to Nick's for an hour and a half instead. Just shoot, don't try to be their buddy.

Then you will see why I don't mind. And my wife doesn't mind dropping me off.

Yeah don't try or want to be there buddy but an attitude is just not called for. Nick's isn't that bad though. They don't seem overly nice or jerks.

I just can't stand a store/range/business in the business to make money who don't treat their customers right. There are a lot of people without jobs that would love to be in their shoes (I am talking in general not just at the shooting range).

82ndVet
12-30-2009, 19:15
Has anyone heard of a new range opening up soon in Holly Springs? Supposedly it's going to be off of Hwy 5 where that country western bar was back in the woods...between Holly Springs and Sixes Rd. :dunno:

stumpjumper
12-31-2009, 07:22
That range is connected with Big Woods Goods and still in planning stage. Hi-Caliber is located about 1/2 mile south on Hwy 5 . The store is open, but the range is scheduled to open in about 2 weeks.

82ndVet
12-31-2009, 13:46
That range is connected with Big Woods Goods and still in planning stage. Hi-Caliber is located about 1/2 mile south on Hwy 5 . The store is open, but the range is scheduled to open in about 2 weeks.
Oh ok, 2 weeks is great! Won't be able to make it to any range for the next 2 weeks anyhow. I was in Big Woods yesterday and meant to ask Bill about it, but I forgot. So, that Hi Caliber...it that a new shop or something? Not sure what you meant....1/2 mile south of what, BWG or where the new range will be...?

stumpjumper
12-31-2009, 15:36
Hi-Caliber is across form where the old Pikes was on Hwy 5, about 1/2 mile north of Home Depot on the same side of the road. I'm in Woodstock, so it's going to be close for me too. The posted price for the range is going to be about $15 a day.

82ndVet
12-31-2009, 18:39
Hi-Caliber is across form where the old Pikes was on Hwy 5, about 1/2 mile north of Home Depot on the same side of the road. I'm in Woodstock, so it's going to be close for me too. The posted price for the range is going to be about $15 a day.
Ok, sounds good. Well, whenever you get the word on it opening up, let me know. I'll probably get a membership there if they offer one. But there are times where I get the urge to shoot outdoors. Usually go up to the WMA range north of Chatsworth.

82ndVet
01-02-2010, 20:40
Stopped in Hi-Caliber today to say hi and check ammo availability. Nice folks and a cozy atmosphere inside it seemed like. I like that the store is not jam packed full of shelves and items where you can hardly walk around. Said the range is supposed to open on the 11th...he hoped. It'll be nice to have a new range close to home. :supergrin:

BTW...Magtech 230g FMJs and Atlanta Arms is all they carry for .45 ACP right now.

Stuntman_Mike
01-11-2010, 18:45
Apparently some guy just shot himself in the chest at Wild West.

stumpjumper
01-12-2010, 06:05
Was by Hi Caliber Mon. night , Looks like Wed. for the range. They are starting to get some reloading supplies in (primers, powder, and bullets)

82ndVet
01-12-2010, 08:33
Apparently some guy just shot himself in the chest at Wild West.
I saw that on the news...and when I heard '22yrs old'...I assume that he had no business handling a weapon. How in the hell do you shoot yourself in the chest at a shooting range...?:upeyes: Luckily, no one else was injured.

M1a65
01-19-2010, 02:08
My guess is he was drawing his weapon from a shoulder holster with his finger on the trigger. Just like he learned from the movies...

stumpjumper
01-19-2010, 06:44
Hi Caliber's range opened Sat.(1/16). I'm going to check it out today and will let you know how it is.

M1a65
01-19-2010, 22:54
Awesome, we'll be waiting!:popcorn:

stumpjumper
01-20-2010, 06:22
Overall impression- good. I hope they put some more lighting down range. Behind the line is very open and the booths are oversized and has plenty of room for 2 people. It is still a work in progress ( distance lines,etc.) It is $14.99 for all day (for this area is great). I'm going back this morning to try out some new reloads.

82ndVet
01-20-2010, 07:43
Overall impression- good. I hope they put some more lighting down range. Behind the line is very open and the booths are oversized and has plenty of room for 2 people. It is still a work in progress ( distance lines,etc.) It is $14.99 for all day (for this area is great). I'm going back this morning to try out some new reloads.
What about targets? Do the have them? Cost?

What time do they open? I'm planning to go Friday morning. :wavey:

stumpjumper
01-20-2010, 15:49
I believe 10 A.M. I'm not sure on the target prices, I bring my own. You could stop BWG and pick up some. PM me , I may be there Friday morning myself. I will be there tomorrow morning if every thing works out.

stumpjumper
01-21-2010, 11:35
I just got back from Hi Caliber. The range has been shut down until Tuesday or Wednesday.

wsvjr
01-21-2010, 19:44
why did they shut it down?

stumpjumper
01-22-2010, 05:11
They didn't say and I didn't ask. I guess to work on the range ( one lane was out of service when I got there)

RCReecer
01-22-2010, 06:57
I'll have to check them out. My wife would really like to visit the range more, but we don't have the time to drive all the way down to Wild West. Anybody know if they do a ladies day or offer instruction?

How many of us live in Woodstock/Holly Springs/Canton anyway?

stumpjumper
01-22-2010, 08:39
Not sure on ladies day. They are going to have instructional classes (beginners and advanced) but I'm not sure about the cost. I'm in the Woodstock area.

joepa150
01-26-2010, 09:42
Do they have a website?

stumpjumper
01-26-2010, 12:49
Not sure on website, will find out. I went by today and the range has re-opened.

joepa150
01-30-2010, 06:49
I am going to Nicks or Pannells this weekend (they are closest to me). I am a noob to CCW. Is it ok if I go there with my CCW OWB? I plan on shooting my EDC.

stumpjumper
01-30-2010, 10:00
No on Nick's, not sure on Pannells. Hi-Caliber will let you carry as long as it stays in the holster(in store , not range).

joepa150
01-30-2010, 15:24
Pannell's had a sign that said no loaded firearms. I just put the mag in my pocket and my gun in my bag.

joepa150
02-06-2010, 08:57
http://hicaliberfirearms.com/home

It looks nice, clean, and open.

$14.99 a day doesn't sound too bad even though Rod and Gun clubs up north run about $25 annually but I am not getting into that.

Anybody shoot here yet?

Do they have 30 min rates?

Do people tend to take their time (its nice that you don't have to rush)? This could be bad if all lanes are filled but I guess ammo prices are hi so they probably won't be there for hours anyway.

MistoGators
02-08-2010, 19:56
Stupid double post...

MistoGators
02-10-2010, 16:33
http://hicaliberfirearms.com/home
It looks nice, clean, and open.
$14.99 a day doesn't sound too bad even though Rod and Gun clubs up north run about $25 annually but I am not getting into that.
Anybody shoot here yet?
Do they have 30 min rates?
Do people tend to take their time (its nice that you don't have to rush)? This could be bad if all lanes are filled but I guess ammo prices are hi so they probably won't be there for hours anyway.
I spent almost 2 hours there last Friday (lol I was about the only one in there). You can shoot pistols and rifles on the same lane, and it doesn't have that cramped feeling that most indoor ranges have. The only thing you can't shoot is .50 cal.
There's no 30 minute (or hourly) rate, but the $15 is a steal. There's no time limit, and you can leave and come back later in the day.

joepa150
02-10-2010, 16:46
I spent almost 2 hours there last Friday (lol I was about the only one in there). You can shoot pistols and rifles on the same lane, and it doesn't have that cramped feeling that most indoor ranges have. The only thing you can't shoot is .50 cal.
There's no 30 minute (or hourly) rate, but the $15 is a steal. There's no time limit, and you can leave and come back later in the day.

That sounds great. I just hope that it doesn't get overly crowded in the future. How many yards is the range?

stumpjumper
02-10-2010, 18:00
25 yd.

joepa150
02-20-2010, 21:37
I went to hi caliber a few days ago. It is nice and open with a very friendly staff. The only odd thing is it seemed really smokey in there. Maybe because it is well lit compared to other ranges. I just felt like I breathed in a ton of crap/lead.