The best sights for Glock [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The best sights for Glock

Uomu
11-25-2009, 12:30
Hi, I’m from European Union and my native language are not English so please excuse me some of my further mistakes. I have two Glocks (17 - 9x19mm and 35 - .40 S&W) and I’d like to buy a Warren or Heinie sights for one of them (maybe for G17). I’ve used Hexsites (some like ghost ring) and Ameriglo and I heard about XS big dot’s good performance too. One think is for sure, the best sights will not compensate poor shooters skills. Buying sights will not buying skills at all, but will help medium shooters to improve their performances. So I decided to replace Glock’s plastic sights with one bette. I’d like to find good balance between personal defense and practical shooting using.

I’ve carried my guns alternatively for personal defense and some time for participating at the local IPSC events. As you may know, the vast majority of gun fights occur under the low light conditions. So, I think tritium in the front sight and one dot tritium for the rear sight will fit best for personal defense requirements. I’ve read that theses sights are good for practical shooting too. I heard that rear serrations of Heinie’s are distracting the eyes form looking to (not at) front sight or to the target and that WTS are very good for rapid target acquisition.

I can’t decide myself which of them to chose: Waren Tactica Sights (with its special design) or a Sevigny Carry (with D. Sevigny’s champion reputation) or something else. What is the difference between them (not only as design)? Should I chose front sight 125 wide and 245 tall (shoot where you aim) or 215 tall (for 6 o clock aiming – center hiting for medium range). If some of you have experience with these sights please tell me your points of view. Thank you with anticipation.

Joshhtn
11-25-2009, 12:38
Hi, Iím from European Union and my native language are not English so please excuse me some of my further mistakes. Now I have two Glocks (17 - 9x19mm and 35 - .40 S&W) and Iíd like to buy a Warren or Heinie sights for one of them (maybe for G17). Iíve used Hexsites (something like ghost ring) and I heard about XS big dotís good performance too. One think is for sure, the best sights will not compensate poor shooters skills. Buying sights is not equal with buying skills, but will help medium shooters to improve their performances. So I decided to replace Glockís plastic sights with one better for defense and practical shooting too.

Iíve carried my guns alternatively for personal defense and some time for participating at the local IPSC events. As you may know, the vast majority of gun fights occur under the low light conditions. So, I think tritium in the front sight and one dot tritium for the rear sight will fit best for personal defense requirements. Iíve read that theses are good for practical shooting too. I heard that rear serrations of Heinieís are distracting the eyes form looking to (not at) front sight or to the target and that WTS are very good for rapid target acquisition.

I canít decide myself which of them to chose: Waren Tactica Sights (with its special design) or a Sevigny Carry (with D. Sevignyís champion reputation) or something else. What is the difference between them (not only as design)? If some of you have experience with these sights please tell me your points of view. Thank you with anticipation.

Let me start by saying, your English is much better than most Americans:supergrin:

I'm a BIG fan of the XS Big Dot sights... They are definitely more for Combat and not target practice... I would give them a try.:wavey:

FMJ158
11-25-2009, 12:45
I think the best sights are the ones that come from the factory. They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TlUO7flMCk

bentbiker
11-25-2009, 12:46
English is a second language for you and yet you use a quote from Shakespeare as your signature; I'm so jealous.

You mentioned your use of HexSites and yet you are still searching. What did you NOT like about them (other than the price)? My eyes cross and give me a choice of two targets if I focus on the front sight. I liked their idea of focusing on the target in both senses of the word.

James9109
11-25-2009, 12:47
Ameriglo or XS big dots.

g34fan
11-25-2009, 13:10
I agree that defensive sights should be night sights. I also looked at the XS big dots and ultimately went with the Truglo TFO sights. My front sight is green and my rear sight has 2 yellow fiber inserts. You simply line up the three dots. The green sight is much brighter than the yellow so it is really easy to pickup the front sight. The fact that it is brighter also forces your eye to focus on it instead of the rear sight. The advantage I found to these sights and the reason I ultimately went with them was that they were just as bright in daylight as they were in darkness. One of the advantages of fiber optic sights. Instead of the front of the fiber optic pipe showing from the front of the gun like you see in many competitive sights, it is housed in a metal housing with the tritium vile mounted to the front of the pipe inside the housing.

The only downside to this sight is that the front sight is kind of long. On you Glock 35 with the cut-out on the top of the slide, the sight is going to hang over the cut-out. I shoot a G34 9mm competitively and I thought this might cause me problems with catching on things. I use a Blade-Tech Stingray kydex holster and have never had a problem with it.

Good luck with your search.

jack76590
11-25-2009, 13:32
I don't think there is any one best sights. It is all what works best for YOU. I went from three dot trijicons to ashley big dot with tritium front and rear, to presently warren carry with tritium in front only.

I found the three dots confusing and with my older eyes they sometimes became one big blur.

The ashleys were good in that I could get some kind of sight picture under almost any conditions. For straight combat at close range I still consider them good.

But even with ashleys I found myself focusing on the rear tritium, esp as tritium aged and closer rear sight just sort of jumped out at me.

Also while I initially thought ashley were fast at close range when I got a PACT timer and tried out I found not much difference for ME. And at medium + distances where I had to get better sight picture the ashleys were actually a bit slower for ME. Just quicker for me to line up straight sides of conventional sights.

So now I am using warren carry sights with tritium in front only. This draws my eye to front sight. I also like the rear sight in that the side extends back from the dovetail so the back of the sight is in line with back of slide.

Uomu
11-26-2009, 11:49
[quote=bentbiker;14231820]English is a second language for you and yet you use a quote from Shakespeare as your signature; I'm so jealous.

You mentioned your use of HexSites and yet you are still searching. What did you NOT like about them (other than the price)? quote]

I like it Richard III, roman imperator Marc Aurelius, Rosevelt and many other clever and astute warrior-leadership.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Hexsites is very good sights but I canít accommodate myself to shoot through rear sight (more than 700 rd). They use humanís reaction under the stress of fight for living (looking at the target not at the sights). But for distance up to 10 yards (where gun fights occur) Iím training myself to use no sights at all (you know Applegate method Ė just point and shot).
I try to find sights with the best balance between speed of shooting and accurate shooting for distances 10 to 50 yards.<o:p></o:p>

Uomu
11-26-2009, 11:55
I agree that defensive sights should be night sights. The only downside to this sight is that the front sight is kind of long. On you Glock 35 with the cut-out on the top of the slide, the sight is going to hang over the cut-out. I shoot a G34 9mm competitively and I thought this might cause me problems with catching on things.

I was about to buy these sights too, but I give up. I think in the low light condition the fiber optic sight are to evident and easy to be observed by the aggressor too.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Uomu
11-26-2009, 12:07
I don't think there is any one best sights. It is all what works best for YOU. I went from three dot trijicons to ashley big dot with tritium front and rear, to presently warren carry with tritium in front only.

You are perfet right there are no best sights. Is ashley big dot the same with xs big dot?
Do you think WTS with its 245 front sight (tall) is easier to access under the stress of competition or gunfight, than the same sights but with 215 front sight?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

DannyR
11-27-2009, 08:34
I prefer the choices at www.ameriglo.com and use their black target sights on my competition Glocks. My other Glock have their LumaNova sights.

Wickersham
11-27-2009, 08:40
Ameriglo! Stay away from XS Big Dots.

JBP55
11-27-2009, 08:55
I also prefer the Ameriglo to XS. I also like the Sevigny Carry and 10-8 sights. Depends on how you are going to use the gun. In a close quarters stressful situation you probably will point shoot and not look at your sights.

tango44
11-27-2009, 09:16
MEPROLIGHTS for me!
Just install and forget about those for the next decades.

http://www.meprolight.com/default.asp?catid={5455462C-4880-4CC2-BBA4-00C523505157}&details_type=1&itemid={AC571E14-55D2-4CD5-A4DE-C9D549B220F5}

A6Gator
11-27-2009, 09:25
I know more than a few shooters who use TFO sights on both their carry and competition guns. Being able to pick up that big green dot up front is a confidence builder when it's really dark.

Don't worry about your English. It's a lot better than my European...

stmcelroy
11-27-2009, 09:29
I think the best sights are the ones that come from the factory. They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TlUO7flMCk

You're kidding, right?

The factory metal sights are good, but the plastic ones will eventually fall off.

JBP55
11-27-2009, 11:07
I know more than a few shooters who use TFO sights on both their carry and competition guns. Being able to pick up that big green dot up front is a confidence builder when it's really dark.

Don't worry about your English. It's a lot better than my European...

They do not last and have a 90 day warranty. Others last and have a 10 or 12 year warranty.

Delta-x
11-27-2009, 11:35
Unlike most in this thread, I have actually had installed on my Glocks:

PT night sights, Ameriglo operators, Glock stock, and XS Big Dots.

By far, the XS Big Dots were superior, for quick target acquisition and all

around accuracy. My experimentation was costly, but in the end , have the

sights that benefit me the most.....my .02

Uomu
11-28-2009, 15:01
In a close quarters stressful situation you probably will point shoot and not look at your sights.

You are perfectly right. In fact I've used this method up to 12 yards with good results. Now I’m planning to push forward my abilities, so I’ve tried to find the best compromise between accuracy and speed for different types of shooting (paper target, reactive target and defensive purpose). In this purpose I'm looking forward for other types of sights who I've not used yet.

Singlestack Wonder
12-04-2009, 22:11
Heinie Slant Pro Straight 8............

g34fan
12-10-2009, 22:37
I was about to buy these sights too, but I give up. I think in the low light condition the fiber optic sight are to evident and easy to be observed by the aggressor too.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

The TFO sights are long but they are absolutely NOT visible from the front (bad guy view).

glockkramer
12-11-2009, 22:37
my .02. I went from the factory sights on both my G19's to the Trijicon GL05 steel sights. NO TRITIUM! Most can't believe I went to the trouble and didn't do tritium, but I don't like it when the things quit glowing. Anyway, the front sight is a white dot and the two rear white dots are kinda "blurred". It's amazing how this small amount of blur prevents my eyes from focusing on them. I love them and wouldn't change a thing. My theory is to save the money between steel and tritium and buy a good flashlight to keep handy- Surefire. :wavey:

Uomu
06-12-2010, 03:42
I've just bought warent tactical sights 2 dots. very good

Thunderbolt56
06-15-2010, 09:24
Ameriglo Pro Operator, Green front, yellow rear.

fodder1
06-15-2010, 18:43
You will get as many opinions on this subject as responses to your question. Sights are a very personal thing. For me, I personally use 10-8 rear and XS bigs on my carry gun and XS standards on my competition gun. They work great for me.