Caution: Avoid MFS .380 showing up for sale in many places [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Caution: Avoid MFS .380 showing up for sale in many places

raytor
11-25-2009, 16:04
I just got a large supply of MFS .380 ammo from various suppliers. It a Hungarian brand and seems to be popping up everywhere and is about the only .380ACP FMJ offered by some suppiers. It WILL NOT fire in my Kahr P380. I don't know why. The primer dents but it will not fire reliably. My Kahr is over 300 rounds and handles quality brands FMJ and HP with no problems whatsoever but it will not fire this stuff. I can however get it off in a Sig P238, even the dented primer stuff the Kahr choked on. The inertia in the Kahr striker must be less than the Sig hammer strike.
Try it if you want but don't go overboard unless you have a lot of other .380s to play with it.

Javelin
11-25-2009, 16:07
Good to know info.

:wavey:

allanteman
07-05-2010, 16:52
Had the same problem in my P380. Out of the 25 I shot, 10 had light strikes. They all fired on the second time around.

duncan
07-13-2010, 00:37
Their 45 acp 230 hollowpoints are hot and great.

Wondering what happened?

CitizenOfDreams
07-13-2010, 00:54
Hard primers? I bet Glock 25 wouldn't have any problems with that ammo. :supergrin:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15629701&posted=1#post15629701

Cowart
07-13-2010, 13:03
MFS .380 ammo ... is about the only .380ACP FMJ offered by some suppiers.

FWIW, Natchezss now appears to be fully stocked on 380 ammo - they show 14 flavors. See

http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?contentID=ammoGroup&ammoGroup=2&searchBy=size&ammoSize=283&category=3

Glocks&Ducs
07-13-2010, 13:13
It sounds like your heads up should be about the Kahr, not the ammo.

8th SPS USAF
07-13-2010, 18:32
MFS 9mm shoots OK in Sig 226R ???

8th

outerlimit
07-14-2010, 19:36
Years ago I tried some in an old Colt Sistema. The MFS +P 230gr. It chrono'd slower than standard pressure, and the gun kept choking on it. That was the only ammo I recall that gun ever didn't like. I can't say I would purchase MFS again after that experience unless things have changed.

raytor
08-13-2010, 08:35
It sounds like your heads up should be about the Kahr, not the ammo.

OH! Okay here's the heads up:

After break-in, my Kahr P380 now has reliably fired Sellier and Bellot, PMC, Winchester, Remington, Fiocchi, Speer and Privi. It will however not reliably fire MFS rounds. Yeah, I guess it's the frickin' gun.

Glocks&Ducs
08-13-2010, 09:00
OH! Okay here's the heads up:

After break-in, my Kahr P380 now has reliably fired Sellier and Bellot, PMC, Winchester, Remington, Fiocchi, Speer and Privi. It will however not reliably fire MFS rounds. Yeah, I guess it's the frickin' gun.

... I can however get it off in a Sig P238, even the dented primer stuff the Kahr choked on. The inertia in the Kahr striker must be less than the Sig hammer strike....

Nobody else is complaining about this ammo. It sounds like you have a gun and ammo incompatibility problem. It happens sometimes.

raytor
08-13-2010, 09:13
I do agree with you, it's seems to be the darned gun.

Clay1
08-13-2010, 09:46
My CW9 won't reliably feed Speer Gold Dots. If you carry for personal protection and you don't run a good quantity of your carry ammo through your gun, your silly. Like a previous poster said, it happens, and it happens more than some might imagine. In my case the very large opening of the Gold Dot just doesn't feed worth a crap. I shoot Winchester Personal defense load through it with no issues. My Glocks eat anything that I have tried. This isn't saying that I don't like my Kahr. I like it a lot. If you have an auto that runs on premium you don't run regular through it. You just realize what it needs and you feed it that.

Too few people actually verify what there gun likes. I am not talking about running 50 rounds down the tube and calling it "all is well" either.

Raytor, one thing to check is firing pin or striker channel. Make sure it is clean and free of debri and DON'T lube that channel, it will just collect crap in there. Something to check anyhow. Good luck.

fullhouse
08-13-2010, 12:30
I just got a large supply of MFS .380 ammo from various suppliers. It a Hungarian brand and seems to be popping up everywhere and is about the only .380ACP FMJ offered by some suppiers. It WILL NOT fire in my Kahr P380. I don't know why. The primer dents but it will not fire reliably. My Kahr is over 300 rounds and handles quality brands FMJ and HP with no problems whatsoever but it will not fire this stuff. I can however get it off in a Sig P238, even the dented primer stuff the Kahr choked on. The inertia in the Kahr striker must be less than the Sig hammer strike.
Try it if you want but don't go overboard unless you have a lot of other .380s to play with it.

THANKS!!! :supergrin:

Cowart
08-13-2010, 13:17
I do agree with you, it's seems to be the darned gun.

Have you cleaned the striker channel?

KC Kahr
08-13-2010, 18:00
I'd buy some if I could find it. Bought a bunch of 9mm 115gr and my PM9 shoots it fine. Cabela's around here has it stacked up for $11/box 50.

I've got 7 or 8 autos and the P380 is the pickiest about ammo. In fact, it's the only one I've got now that is picky. If I buy something the P380 doesn't like, I just run it through my P3AT no problem. But it's got a hammer and a firing pin and whacks those primers pretty good....

My P380 never seems to have an issue with the expensive stuff. The KT will run that Herters Russian junk without a hitch, the Kahr chokes like a dog on it. I just keep what it likes in it. It never chokes on the dollar a round stuff.

I think all these little carry guns have their own personality. And 2 identical guns will run completely differently in the hands of 2 different shooters.

Crimp
08-29-2010, 19:56
I picked up a Taurus 738 TCP .380 last week and ran 2 boxes (100 rounds) of MFS 95gr FMJ through it with no problems at all.

I know this is about ammo and not the pistol, but I gotta' say, the TCP ran 2 FMJ loads, 2 mags of Win PDX1's, about 25 Speer Gold Dots, 100 reloaded 10gr Berrys and 30-40 reloaded HP/XTP's. The only glitch was after firing about 300 rounds. I had an occasional hang up with the XTP's nosing into the ramp. After pulling the barrel and cleaning the ramp, it ran 12 rounds of XTP's in quick fire with no problems.

Nice little pistol that now resides in the hip pocket of my jeans.