S&W M&P 15-22 questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P 15-22 questions

Braski6
11-27-2009, 21:11
Hey folks. To say I have the itch is a HUGE understatement! If I make it through the holiday season relatively unscathed, this is at the top of my list. Couple of quick questions....

How "customizable" is the 15-22? By this I mean can you easily swap out stocks, rails, etc? I'm the first to admit I'm a total new kid on the block with ARs so the more you guys can help, the better. I don't have any background so any buzzwords, you can bet I'll be giving it one of these...:headscratch:

What I'm trying to get at guys is this....I am planning on making this my "fun" gun meaning I'm going to deck it out with all the stuff I've always wanted to do...if possible. So I am giving you all the power. Give me suggestions of super cool "ideas" to do to this gun.

To let you know, I love the look of a black AR with white or tan rails and stocks. Let's start there and go forward (oh and any suggestions on white rails/stocks, that'd be helpful too)....

Thanks everybody! GT rocks!

Josh

M2 Carbine
11-27-2009, 21:36
I'm going to deck it out with all the stuff I've always wanted to do
I don't know how much more junk you can hang on it than I have on mine.:supergrin:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/SWMPwBSA.jpg

I got 8 magazines so I can blast 200 rounds without stopping.

Tomorrow four out of town folks are going to have a chance to run a bunch of ammo through the 15-22 and my Bushmaster.

Seems there's a little resemblance between the two rifles.:)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/M4withStreamlight.jpg

Braski6
11-27-2009, 21:44
man those are pretty...

DJ Niner
11-27-2009, 22:03
Hey folks. To say I have the itch is a HUGE understatement! If I make it through the holiday season relatively unscathed, this is at the top of my list. Couple of quick questions....

How "customizable" is the 15-22? By this I mean can you easily swap out stocks, rails, etc? I'm the first to admit I'm a total new kid on the block with ARs so the more you guys can help, the better. I don't have any background so any buzzwords, you can bet I'll be giving it one of these...:headscratch:

What I'm trying to get at guys is this....I am planning on making this my "fun" gun meaning I'm going to deck it out with all the stuff I've always wanted to do...if possible. So I am giving you all the power. Give me suggestions of super cool "ideas" to do to this gun.

To let you know, I love the look of a black AR with white or tan rails and stocks. Let's start there and go forward (oh and any suggestions on white rails/stocks, that'd be helpful too)....

Thanks everybody! GT rocks!

JoshI don't have one (yet), but I've been doing some research on the areas you asked about to answer my own questions.

According to the S&W website, the stock is a "mil-spec" model, so if you buy a replacement, make sure it's sized for a mil-spec (not commercial-size) tube. As the tube seems to be an actual extension of the polymer lower receiver, you probably cannot adapt it to use a full-size fixed A1/A2 configuration stock.

The rails seems to be proprietary to this gun as far as the way they attach; the rails themselves are 1913 Mil Standard rails (again, according to S&W), so you can attach anything that will fit this style of rail. You can get rail covers in two styles (high profile and low profile, also called "ladder style") and many colors, so you can snap/slide these on to change the color/appearance of the rails.

Looks like the sights could probably be changed to anything designed to mount on a same-plane AR rail system.

The first two items above can be verified at the link below, by hovering the mouse over the area in question (stock or rails):

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&content=751501&sectionId=10002

M2 Carbine
11-27-2009, 22:17
man those are pretty...
What sold me on the 15-22 (I bought it 10 minutes after first seeing it) is the controls are EXACTLY like the AR.
A couple weeks ago I taught a lady to shoot my Bushmaster. First I had her run a bunch of magazines through the 15-22. When she picked up the Bushmaster she was completely comfortable with the .223 rifle.

I figure in ammo cost savings the 15-22 will have paid for itself by the end of December.:)

CMG
11-27-2009, 23:02
I own two, and the rails cannot be changed out but any style (or color) of rail cover can be used. The stock tube is indeed an integral part of the lower receiver, and can't be changed out for a fixed stock tube. Any collapsible stock that will fit a mil-spec tube can be installed on the S&W. The lower receiver is also mil-spec in terms of pin sizes and locations, so any trigger/safety upgrades will work as well.

They are really nicely built, and mine have both been utterly reliable.

M2 Carbine
11-28-2009, 07:10
They are really nicely built, and mine have both been utterly reliable.
Mine jams quite a bit with Wal Mart 550 bulk pack, but so do most of my 22LR guns malfunction with it.

I shoot a LOT of 22, so it's just something I put up with.

pugman
11-28-2009, 07:36
Mine jams quite a bit with Wal Mart 550 bulk pack, but so do most of my 22LR guns malfunction with it.

Remington, Federal?

I have lots of problems with Remington in my High Standard, buckmark, and 10-22.

I have zero with Federal.

pntblnk
11-28-2009, 09:45
I'll second the call on Remington vs Federal in the 15-22. I ran a box of each through mine this week and the Remington bulk jams 2-3 times per mag. The Federal may have jammed / misfired 2-3 time for the entire box. My 10-22 and 22-45 cycle the Remington just fine but the S&W just doesn't like it.

Must be the age old S&W vs Remington feud still going strong...:rofl:

Paulie Puncher
11-28-2009, 10:34
I don't know how much more junk you can hang on it than I have on mine.:supergrin:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/SWMPwBSA.jpg

I got 8 magazines so I can blast 200 rounds without stopping.

Tomorrow four out of town folks are going to have a chance to run a bunch of ammo through the 15-22 and my Bushmaster.

Seems there's a little resemblance between the two rifles.:)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/M4withStreamlight.jpg

where did you find more mags? and how much are they? I love my smith 15-22, nice set up very light so when my daughter or children want to plink a few rounds its just right for them. Ive had just 2 ftf issues, but they were the result of bulk ammo. I may try to get another or a colt amerex by Christmas.

CMG
11-28-2009, 10:58

Both of mine run just fine with Federal Bulk.... I quit buying Remington rimfire ammo a looonnngggg time ago. I recently bought some of the Winchester 333 bulk but haven't tried it in the S&Ws yet.

CMG
11-28-2009, 10:59
where did you find more mags? and how much are they?

www.44mag.com ....... $17.99 each

M2 Carbine
11-28-2009, 20:01
where did you find more mags? and how much are they?
I ordered 2 from S&W, bought 3 at a gun show and 2 at Cheaper Than Dirt.

All were in the $22 range.
$17.99 is a good price.

Wal Mart Rem bulk works good in some of my 22's and poor in others, same with Federal and Winchester.

Yesterday the gun ran good with Aguila HV but jammed bad today with the same ammo.:upeyes:

Today I was going to let four out of town folks run some magazines through the 15-22, then shoot my Bushmaster. Right off, the jams were so bad I said the heck with it and checked them out on the Bushmaster.
None of them had shot a AR before and two are from California. They went through 220 .223 rounds, a bunch of 9mm and 38 Special and they had a ball.:supergrin:

Tomorrow I'm going to start the Smith out with a good cleaning.

DriBak
11-30-2009, 20:17
If the barrel was threaded I would already have one, that is why I am holding out for the Sig 552. :)

M2 Carbine
11-30-2009, 21:32
Today I was going to let four out of town folks run some magazines through the 15-22, then shoot my Bushmaster. Right off, the jams were so bad I said the heck with it and checked them out on the Bushmaster.
I saw the problem today.
The ejector needed to be VERY SLIGHTLY bent to the right (toward center). The base of the extracted case was missing the ejector and the fire case wasn't being ejected many times, jamming the bolt.

I fired two magazines. Then after dark I shot two more magazines using the laser.

This is my week for ejector problems. My Browning Buckmark 22 had exactly the same problem.

Faulkner
12-03-2009, 17:56

out of stock

DJ Niner
12-03-2009, 23:12

out of stockThe awesome power of Glock Talk! ;) :supergrin:

M2 Carbine
12-05-2009, 10:54
Last week at the gun show I bought a set (3/$20) of the forearm rail covers (whatever they are called).

They make the forearm more comfortable to hold but make the forearm bulky.
I haven't made up my mind if I like them or not.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/SWMP22whandguards.jpg

BTW, since adjusting the ejectors on the M&P 22 and the Browning Buckmark the guns are functioning fine.

CMG
12-05-2009, 14:38
M2,

I have the same rail covers (Pro-Mag brand... I got mine at Academy Sports). I like them much better than the bare rails.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/SWMP1522car.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/SWMP1522sr.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/SW1522A3.jpg

Faulkner
12-05-2009, 15:22
I loaded up my new M&P 15-22 with some other .22's and a brick of cartridges . . . never even pulled the other guns out of the truck.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL488/1124764/2120947/378915062.jpg

sgtlmj
12-13-2009, 18:56
The grips, stock, lower receiver internals and sights are all fair game to change, and compatible with current AR stuff. The forend rail is proprietary, so I wouldn't mess with it other than putting some grip panels on it.

I've got over 1k through mine so far of every kind of ammo I could dig out of random boxes and coffee cans in the basement. I've had a few stoppages, but they were all from old crummy ammo.

I'm loving this thing. I've got a Millet DMS on it now just for a little extra magnification for hunting critters. It's super accurate with CCI Mini-Mags and PMC Sidewinders.

http://gallery.me.com/sgtlmj/100169/IMG_5832/web.jpg

fled
01-13-2010, 12:49
If the barrel was threaded I would already have one, that is why I am holding out for the Sig 552. :)

The M&P15-22 - A1 Style Comp model is now sporting a threaded barrel with A1-Style Compensator (1/2 x 28" Thread)

JimGlock
01-16-2010, 20:45
Can anyone tell me how to remove and exchange the stock on this?

Thanks,

Jim

CMG
01-16-2010, 22:21

Thanks,

Jim

The buffer tube is not removable, but to change out the collapsible to a different style, you simply pull down on the latch and slide it off.

JimGlock
01-17-2010, 13:07
I should note I lived in MA and thus have an M4 looking but non collapsible stock. I asked because I would like to put a collapsible stock on it now as I have moved to NH.:wavey:

If anyone can help that would be great. I tried the method below but it wont work.

The buffer tube is not removable, but to change out the collapsible to a different style, you simply pull down on the latch and slide it off.

CMG
01-17-2010, 14:23
I should note I lived in MA and thus have an M4 looking but non collapsible stock. I asked because I would like to put a collapsible stock on it now as I have moved to NH.:wavey:

If anyone can help that would be great. I tried the method below but it wont work.

Most likely the collapsible stock is pinned in place... you'll have to find that pin and remove it (if it's a blind pin, you'll have to drill it out, or grind some plastic down around it and pull it out with vise-grips... since you are replacing the slider anyway, that won't really matter.

JimGlock
01-17-2010, 14:34
Thanks! Ill see what I can do. ::puts surgeon gloves on::

DJ Niner
01-17-2010, 22:34

Thanks,

JimJimGlock, is your firearm a M&P .22, or some other centerfire AR? If it's a centerfire with a permanently fixed collapsible "look" stock, then unpinning it might not work. Many of these guns were made with hybrid rifle/carbine-look buffer tubes, not the shorter carbine tube that is required for a true collapsible stock.

Look at the rear of your stock; if you can see the buffer tube flush or nearly flush with the rear of the stock, then you have a full-length hybrid tube and unpinning the stock won't work. In this case, you'll have to buy a collapsible stock "kit", with everything needed to convert a rifle to a carbine stock (carbine-length buffer, spring, buffer tube, castle nut, and stock). You'll also get a new plate for the rear of the receiver, which you probably won't need (but folks transitioning from a full rifle stock WOULD need). It's probably best to use the one that comes with the kit, so everything matches-up well (no telling whether the original receiver plate on your gun would work with the new stuff or not).

DJ Niner
01-17-2010, 22:51
I saw the problem today.
The ejector needed to be VERY SLIGHTLY bent to the right (toward center). The base of the extracted case was missing the ejector and the fire case wasn't being ejected many times, jamming the bolt.

I fired two magazines. Then after dark I shot two more magazines using the laser.

This is my week for ejector problems. My Browning Buckmark 22 had exactly the same problem.I hope these are the ONLY problems you encounter; apparently, some of these gun have other, more serious problems.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1137943

I'm getting pretty bummed about the one I have on order; I hope it works like yours, and not Pesty's.

CMG
01-18-2010, 10:47
I hope these are the ONLY problems you encounter; apparently, some of these gun have other, more serious problems.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1137943

I'm getting pretty bummed about the one I have on order; I hope it works like yours, and not Pesty's.

I only have two of the S&Ws, but neither one has had any issues... 1500 rounds thru one, about 900 thru the other one.

M2 Carbine
01-18-2010, 14:51
I hadn't shot the rifle in a while, so I got it out today. Shot a hundred rounds of Federal Wal Mart bulk pack, using a new Green Dot sight and iron sights.
Without a doubt a fun gun.

I had a "smoke stack" jam in two of four magazines. I have eight magazines. I'll have to start making note if this jam is taking place in just a couple mags and with which ammo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/SWMPMagjam.jpg

El Toro Loco
01-19-2010, 07:42
Hello All,

Does anyone have a S&W MP 15-22? I picked one up at the Indy 1500. I was looking for a Ruger 10-22, did find a couple, but the MP really caught my eye. Brought it home, probably won't be able to get out and shot it for another week or so. I got it for my 11 yr old. She is starting her 1st Air Rifle Class, which is necessary to get into the .22 Rifle class through the local 4-H, but that is a different story.

I have been reading some online reviews of the rifle and they are EXTREMELY mixed. Everything from it being "the next best thing" and it being a "total POS !!" What have been your experiences? Any and all reviews would be greatly appreciated. I am re-thinking it already and should have just picked up another 10-22 with a collapsible Tapco Stock. I already have a 10-22, but that is MY baby, though the wife keeps pawing at it.....:duel:

Alex

SCOTTtheBADGER
01-19-2010, 18:30
I find it to be a very well made, accurate, and decently priced firearm. Yes, there were teething problems with the extractor, but those have been ironed out. Mine went back to S&W, and came right back.

Most importantly, that gun is a real pleasure to shoot. I think that you and your daughter will be very happy with it.

JimGlock
01-20-2010, 08:51
Hi DJ

It is the M&P 15-22 so it is the .22 rimfire. Does this change anything?

Thanks,

Jim

JimGlock, is your firearm a M&P .22, or some other centerfire AR? If it's a centerfire with a permanently fixed collapsible "look" stock, then unpinning it might not work. Many of these guns were made with hybrid rifle/carbine-look buffer tubes, not the shorter carbine tube that is required for a true collapsible stock.

Look at the rear of your stock; if you can see the buffer tube flush or nearly flush with the rear of the stock, then you have a full-length hybrid tube and unpinning the stock won't work. In this case, you'll have to buy a collapsible stock "kit", with everything needed to convert a rifle to a carbine stock (carbine-length buffer, spring, buffer tube, castle nut, and stock). You'll also get a new plate for the rear of the receiver, which you probably won't need (but folks transitioning from a full rifle stock WOULD need). It's probably best to use the one that comes with the kit, so everything matches-up well (no telling whether the original receiver plate on your gun would work with the new stuff or not).

DJ Niner
01-21-2010, 02:22
Yes. I believe on the M&P 22s , the stock tube is a cast-in-plastic extension of the plastic lower receiver. There is no spring as the spring for the small .22 bolt assembly is completely contained within the upper receiver.

I'm guessing it's either pinned (as said above, like they did the .223s during the AWB), or perhaps they just used a longer screw on the fake stock latch, and drilled a hole for it all the way up into the stock tube. Try unscrewing this screw, but if it doesn't move or starts moving then stops solidly after 1/2 turn or less, don't force it. Heck, they could have glued the stock on, or even cast it as part of the stock tube; does it move or wiggle at all on the tube?

I wasn't even aware that the "compliant" versions of the M&P 22 had been released already. Last I heard, they hadn't starting shipping them yet (obviously incorrect, unless you work at S&W and got it early).

JimGlock
01-21-2010, 20:41
Hi DJ,

There are indeed compliant models out. When I try to unscrew the screw on the bottom of the stock, it just keeps turning it doesnt actually come out.It doesnt feel like it wiggles that much though. Is there a tutorial on how you gentlement used to convert your fixed stocks to telescopic stocks?

Thanks,

Jim

NWoutdoor
01-21-2010, 22:22
I bought mine two days ago. Got out today to shoot. Made it about 25/30 rounds before I had a round fire out of chamber, blew the ejector out somewhere in the woods along with the other important stuff needed to eject...

TWO DAYS OLD and ONLY 25 ROUNDS????

I love my Rugers (10/22 and SR22)...

DJ Niner
01-22-2010, 01:43
Hi DJ,

There are indeed compliant models out. When I try to unscrew the screw on the bottom of the stock, it just keeps turning it doesnt actually come out.It doesnt feel like it wiggles that much though. Is there a tutorial on how you gentlement used to convert your fixed stocks to telescopic stocks?

Thanks,

JimThere were a LOT of tutorials right after the AWB sunsetted, but I don't think they would necessarily apply to your weapon, because of the differences in the design for the .22 vs .223 versions. The best way, the easiest way, and the way a corporate lawyer would direct his company to do it are probably miles apart. :supergrin:

Can you post a few clear/detailed photos of your stock and lower receiver, with shots from each side, one from the rear, and one from top and bottom? Perhaps a few close-ups of the stock latch and screw would also be helpful. Then we might be able to identify the method 'Smith used to fix your stock in place, and advise you on how to un-fix it.

GM-GUY
02-04-2010, 19:39
Well, I tried to post the other day, though I did, but...poof....

The abridged version:

The S&W 15-22 'compliant' stock is loose indicating no glue, furthermore, the 'fake' buffer tube is std length. I located one blind pin on the collapsable stock. Drill thru it with a small bit to locate the center on the other side, then drill the same size+ as the pin from the opposite side. Then nock the pin out with a finish nail. :shocked:

DO NOT DO THIS IF ILLEGAL IN YOUR AREA - IT'S NOT WORTH IT.

I also noticed that the 10rd mag is actually a 25rd just with a buried metal pin (can't see either side) - take a guess with a small drill, expand the hole (both sides) and nock out. :shocked:

AGAIN:
DO NOT DO THIS IF ILLEGAL IN YOUR AREA - IT'S NOT WORTH IT.

'My' 15-22 is for my son's 7th B-day in May, I'm going to put a Trijicon RX30 on it before he gets it. :supergrin:

heliguy
02-08-2010, 13:51
Here's what I did with mine: Magpul stock, grip and foregrip. Tan rail covers. Black Dog 90 rd mag. Barska 3-9 lighted reticle scope. Cheap asian bipod. Not so cheap Gemtech Outback 2 suppressor.

I'm going to put a light laser on it when I get some spare change...Anything else I can do to it?