Got a Rock Island GI [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got a Rock Island GI

jethro21
12-01-2009, 00:14
I sold the boat anchor impluse buy AMT I bought a few months ago and bought a RIA on black friday, no sales tax. I had gone to check it out about 2 times before deciding to buy it.

I am very impressed at this gun. I am not experienced in 1911's, but since getting bit by the bug I have been going to every gun shop around and handling their 1911's. I gotta say that for a <$500 gun I am pretty impressed. The fit is tight, the action is very smooth and I can't find any machine marks on it.

I put 50 rounds through it today (can't find ammo anywhere) and it didn't so much as hiccup. It was only ball ammo, but from the reviews I have read I am not worried about hollow point. The trigger has a slight up and down play, not sure if this is normal/acceptable or not....?

The sights are friggen small, and it shot high consistantly. I am planning on changing the sights when I get some funds.

The only odd thing was the slide wouldn't lock back for my Wilson mags. It functioned perfectly with the factory mag and with a Colt mag, but it refused to lock back with the Wilson, whether when shooting or hand cycling.....Not sure if anyone has any thoughts on why.

Anyway, we will see if my small purchase pans out in a couple thousand rounds, although with ammo scarce that may take a long while (I guess it is time to start reloading again).

Just wanted to let anyone looking for a cheap 1911 my early thoughts on this gun.

Jethro

HAIL CAESAR
12-01-2009, 00:34
The trigger play is fine and normal, especially for a $400 gun.

It should feed HP's fine.

Wilson mags may have weakened springs.

RIA is a great bargain gun.

bac1023
12-01-2009, 05:35
Congrats.

Mine has fed FMJ and JHP with no problems.

glock2740
12-01-2009, 14:16
Congrats! Rock Islands are the best gun, especially 1911 for the money on the market. I have 3 and love them all.

GoodGuy
12-01-2009, 14:55
I've had one for several weeks now and for the $425 that I paid for it I think it's an awesome gun. I only have about 75 rounds thru it but it's perfomed admirably. I've had several 1911's in the $2000-2500 range and they may be a little prettier and such but you can't beat this one for less than a fifth the price. Mine fed the Hornady HP's fine but choked on the "flying ashtrays" but then again most guns probably would. I bought it as kind of a "play" gun to learn more about 1911's and I'm really impressed.

cowboywannabe
12-01-2009, 14:57
some of the best $325.00 i ever spent.

ilgunguygt
12-01-2009, 15:51
I have a 3.5" compact model that will feed anything. Nice little pistol, extended beavertail, commander hammer, but has the GI trigger and sites. Shoots well and reliably.

willis68
12-01-2009, 16:41
Congrats! Rock Islands are the best gun, especially 1911 for the money on the market. I have 3 and love them all.

That is if you like 1911's that are made in the Philippines, sorry guys but I wouldn't own one if it was given to me for free!! :whistling:

ctap105
12-01-2009, 16:52
I have never owned one. Just kimber and colts. For a person not really wanting to dish out the money, from what I hear, they're the ones to buy. If I bought one and tricked it out, I still couldn't be happy. Especially if it ain't be no colt.

ilgunguygt
12-01-2009, 19:01
That is if you like 1911's that are made in the Philippines, sorry guys but I wouldn't own one if it was given to me for free!! :whistling:
Then you sir, are downright silly. There are every bit as good as any of the entry level 1911s and kick the crap out of some of them. Like, say, a taurus.

To say you would not own one if it was given to you is silly because everyone here knows that isnt true.

Quack
12-01-2009, 19:23
The trigger has a slight up and down play, not sure if this is normal/acceptable or not....?

The only odd thing was the slide wouldn't lock back for my Wilson mags.

Jethro

Congrats!

if the vertical play bothers you, just buy a new trigger and fit it, by a little filing.

Wilson's seem to do that on other guns too, so it's not your RIA.

willis68
12-01-2009, 21:32
Then you sir, are downright silly. There are every bit as good as any of the entry level 1911s and kick the crap out of some of them. Like, say, a taurus.

To say you would not own one if it was given to you is silly because everyone here knows that isnt true.

You obviously do not know me, and to say I am silly for not wanting to own a 1911 made in the Philippines, well if one is ever given to me, I will sell it to you I would never OWN one, and I am very serious about that...

cowboywannabe
12-01-2009, 21:55
everybody has their quirks....if it aint the big three then they dont want it...
so what. doesnt detract from the filipino guns at all.

jethro21
12-01-2009, 22:39
I am very happy with my Philipino made gun, when comparing fit and finish with the springfield gi and para gi expert that were at the shop the RIA I bought felt and looked better, hands down. I am sure that may bring up some comments that I am a newbie who doesn't know the difference, but for me the look/fit/feel, positive reviews, outstanding customer service reputation and price made the purchase easy for me.

Someday when my department decides to give me a raise again (not for at least the next 2 years they say) I will sink some money into something of higher quality and price point, but I have this strange feeling this gun will still be kickin butt when that time comes.

den888
12-01-2009, 22:41
Congrats !!!

willis68
12-01-2009, 23:02
I am very happy with my Philipino made gun, when comparing fit and finish with the springfield gi and para gi expert that were at the shop the RIA I bought felt and looked better, hands down. I am sure that may bring up some comments that I am a newbie who doesn't know the difference, but for me the look/fit/feel, positive reviews, outstanding customer service reputation and price made the purchase easy for me.

Someday when my department decides to give me a raise again (not for at least the next 2 years they say) I will sink some money into something of higher quality and price point, but I have this strange feeling this gun will still be kickin butt when that time comes.

Congrats on the pistol. As I have heard from several people they are well worth the money, I just have a problem with the 1911 being built anywhere but the USA, it is one of the best designs that ever came out of this country and I feel that it should be kept here, call me a purist, enjoy your pistol and my apologies if you took any offense to this :cool:

mikegun
12-01-2009, 23:14
I think the commander size RIA has the best balance of any 1911 ive held, i say that as i own 2 kimbers, nut would not hesitate getting another RIA...

jethro21
12-03-2009, 00:22
Willis, none taken. I just think we have to be willing to accept the fact that good things can be made outside of the US, just as bad things can be made in the US....My former 1911 being a bad thing...

That being said, I will sink some money into a good US built gun hopefully sooner rather than later.

okie
12-03-2009, 03:27
Congrats my friend:wavey:

Oaklands
01-10-2010, 15:59
I just took one in trade for an old beater pickup I was selling. It feels fine but needed a good cleaning. Practically looks new now. I will take it to the range and give it a test run.

I own 2 other 1911's. One is a Kimber Pro Carry II in stainless I just received a couple of weeks ago. The other is another Phillipino Metro Arms AC II Deluxe.

The AC II is a great little gun. Cheap like the RIA. It is very accurate and has not hiccuped one time since in the 175 rounds I have put through it. I trust it for carry or in my nightstand.

Yes the trigger does have an up and down movement but does not seem to be a problem when dry firing.

I can't comment on mags since I have not been to the range yet. I will firing mine with some new Kimber Pro-Tac mags.

Enjoy your gun. If you are happy, that is all that matters. I too will have different sights put on if I decide to keep it for a while. For now I put some orange paint on the front and some green on the rear to help my older eyes see them better.

dnuggett
01-10-2010, 16:11
Congrats on the pistol. As I have heard from several people they are well worth the money, I just have a problem with the 1911 being built anywhere but the USA, it is one of the best designs that ever came out of this country and I feel that it should be kept here, call me a purist, enjoy your pistol and my apologies if you took any offense to this :cool:

Well the reverse if that is...

Not getting any foreign design in the US unless it is built here. YIKES!

willis68
01-10-2010, 16:23
Well the reverse if that is...

Not getting any foreign design in the US unless it is built here. YIKES!

are you somehow trying to claim that the 1911 was designed in a foreign land and not the US?

sk65
01-10-2010, 16:35
You might be surprised how manys 1911 parts on the so called U.S. made 1911's, are from overseas.

By the way, I'm looking to buy an RIA .45 local....is $409.00 a good price?

willis68
01-10-2010, 16:37
You might be surprised how manys 1911 parts on the so called U.S. made 1911's, are from overseas.

By the way, I'm looking to buy an RIA .45 local....is $409.00 a good price?

not really, the only ones on any of my 1911's were the Champion sites on my TRS, that is all in my inventory.That was changed out with Novak's

dnuggett
01-10-2010, 17:50
are you somehow trying to claim that the 1911 was designed in a foreign land and not the US?

No not at all! I know the history of the 1911, better than most. What I am saying is that if you feel it shouldn't be made anywhere but the US because it was designed in the US, then the corollary of that would be that firearms designed in a foreign country (say Austria) should not be manufactured here.

That's not good.

Side note.. John Browning did work with FN in designing the 1910 (precursor to the Walther PPK and Makarov). It was manufactured and sold only overseas.

willis68
01-10-2010, 18:12
No not at all! I know the history of the 1911, better than most. What I am saying is that if you feel it shouldn't be made anywhere but the US because it was designed in the US, then the corollary of that would be that firearms designed in a foreign country (say Austria) should not be manufactured here.

That's not good.

Side note.. John Browning did work with FN in designing the 1910 (precursor to the Walther PPK and Makarov). It was manufactured and sold only overseas.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Glock's are manufactured in Austria, at least most of their parts and then imported into the USA, along with several other manufacturers of other weapons of other countries origins. I still prefer the German made Sig Sauer pistols to the american made. I just will always prefer my 1911's made in the US, is that so difficult for you to understand?

jrs93accord
01-10-2010, 18:32

I love the 1911 platform. That is the reason I have 23 in my collection and still going to add more. I have a Norinco made in China, a Regent made in Turkey, an Israel Arms Ltd. M-5000 made in Israel, three Rock Island Armory and a Metro Arms made in the Phillipines, and a Llama made in Spain. I also have my Colts, Kimbers, Dan Wesson, Springfield Armory, and Remington Rand. There is always a place for any 1911 platform pistol, regardless of where it is made. I would love to have an Argentinian made Colt Sistema.

Rock Island Armory 1911s are some of the finest made. They are made by Armscor, a very reputable company that has been producing 1911s for many years. They are a quality 1911 at a bargain price.

dnuggett
01-10-2010, 19:03
I just will always prefer my 1911's made in the US, is that so difficult for you to understand?

What part of what I said has you thinking that I didn't understand your preference? I understand it perfectly. It's your thinking behind it that I was drawing out to other examples. I see you don't like that. You need to relax... I wasn't challenging your manhood... :wow:

And just for reference... I wasn't talking about Glock when I said Austria.

willis68
01-11-2010, 09:49
What part of what I said has you thinking that I didn't understand your preference? I understand it perfectly. It's your thinking behind it that I was drawing out to other examples. I see you don't like that. You need to relax... I wasn't challenging your manhood... :wow:

And just for reference... I wasn't talking about Glock when I said Austria.

I am relaxed, as always :cool: just out of curiousity what were you referring to out of Austria if not Glock?

dnuggett
01-11-2010, 10:27
I am relaxed, as always :cool: just out of curiousity what were you referring to out of Austria if not Glock?

Well when I was typing Steyr came to mind. They have at least one weapon designed by Steyr in Austria and manufactured in the US.

There are other current examples though, Walther being a big one.