Bringing firearms overseas [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bringing firearms overseas

reinerbs
12-03-2009, 14:25
hey all, i'm new to the forums and i am currently stationed in california and i rencently recieved orders overseas, specifically to ramstein germany. i was curious as to what process i would need to go through to bring my firearms with me, i have a baby eagle .45 and a ruger 10/22 and i was going to get a glock at the begining of 2010. just wanted to know if anyone here has ever PCS'ed and brought their weapons with them overseas or did they have to leave them with family or something like that before they left. thanks.

ajstrider
12-03-2009, 17:09
I was in the navy, and it was pretty much forbidden for us to bring personal weapons overseas. In most of Europe, handguns are just plain illegal from my understanding. I think you might be out of luck there, but you may be able to get by with your rifle. I would call Rammstein Air Force base and talk to them. Their security officers will probably be able to help you.

reinerbs
12-03-2009, 18:42
thanks for the input, i was talking to my dad today and he was in the navy as well and he told me the same thing. i think i'll still get my glock though, and just leave it with him. and if i can, i'll try to go to the glock factory in austria, look up the regs and see if i can get one from there, doubt it, but it would still be a nice tour for me and my wife.

AF-Odin
12-04-2009, 14:51
Late 80s through the early 90s I was at Ramstein and had my AR-15, Colt 1911, 10/22, and a couple of other things. THEN, you had to get them on your PCS orders and register them with the USAREUR Provost Marshal.

NOW, you are pretty well screwed because they re-did the Status of Forces Agreement with Germany and you are totally under the German Law with respect to personal firearms. Key is to check with Ramstein and the "Foreign Clearance Guide." From what I have heard lately it is way to much hassle.

bluelineman
12-06-2009, 20:40
I've got a buddy stationed in England & he said forget it. There, you can bring a shotgun only. And the paperwork is about as long as the current healthcare bill. Not worth it.

Jeff82
12-06-2009, 21:04
Leave 'em with family. Go to the Rod 'n Gun clubs over there (if they still have them, most were shutting down when I was there) and buy new guns! Be sure to do the paperwork with ATF to get 'em back and you're good to go.

I came back with a Glock 23, a CZ-75B (in .40, my gift to me after Bosnia), and a Colt Python.

reinerbs
12-09-2009, 13:18
thanks everyone, i'm planning on leaving my weapons with my parents, it really does seem like too much of a hassle. i may have to see what i can do about purchasing weapons while there, that's a process i should really look into.

reinerbs
12-12-2009, 11:47
i've since started printing out the paperwork for my out-processing and there's a little section for bringing firearms overseas, they make it look simple but i doubt it would/will be; so i am sticking to keeping my guns with my parents and probably will still pick up a new glock 17 or 19 in jan or feb and put as many rounds through it as i can. so thanks again to everyone who replied. i'm stoked about going to germany and happy holidays.

bluelineman
12-12-2009, 12:46
Have a good time over there. If you can't find a place to store your guns...:whistling:

Mongosafari
12-12-2009, 22:43
Thanks for your service.

I PCS'd to Rhein Main (Frankfurt, W. Ger) in 1985 (was still W. Ger back then) I acquired 3-4 handguns from the R/M Rod and Gun Club there. The bad thing was keeping them secured in the S.P. Armory while living in the barracks. The paperwork was simple upon returning to the states in 88. As mentioned, things have changed over the years.

Make the best of your time across the pond and take lots of pictures. Take advantage of the history and tours available: visit an old rhein castle. You may never have another chance.

BMH
12-13-2009, 10:18
You might also have trouble bringing guns back into the US. Even if you did leave the US with them.