DoubleStar 1911 range report + broken gun :( [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DoubleStar 1911 range report + broken gun :(

willowofwisp
12-03-2009, 18:57
Today i picked up my brand new DoubleStar 1911, inspected it at the ffl and did my transfer. I then took the gun to the range, did a quick field strip to clean it and lube it and get it ready for action. I then fired 46 rounds of federal 230g FMJ through it...and then it broke The trigger can be pulled but the hammer won't fall, sometimes the hammer will fall 3/4 of the way but it still won't fall. I am gonna call doublestar tomorrow and i am praying that they have good customer service.

And now the range report

Ergo/feel of the gun::: Gun felt great in my hand i really like the grips

Accuracy::: The gun was easily shooting 3/4 to 1" groups at 50 feet off of a barricade, my buddy had his brand new kimber raptor set up and we shoot both of our guns, the double star was a bit more accurate at 50 feet and 69 feet (as far as my range goes)

Trigger::: Gun has an awesome trigger, everyone commented how good it was, no creep or overtravel or take up, a nice clean and crisp break. My buddy with the kimber raptor was pretty jealous and even commented on it.

Slide Fit and finish of the gun:: the gun has a parkerized finish, looks pretty good but not sure how durable it is, i guess time will tell. The fit of the gun is excellent its really tight and doesn't play like some other 1911.

Overall feel, i really like the gun and its shoots great, the gun being broken doesn't bother me too much as it does happen especially with how those internals are mass produced. I am just hoping doublestar has some awesome customer service.

Pictures:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z6/willowofwisp/P1010096.jpghttp://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z6/willowofwisp/P1010095.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z6/willowofwisp/P1010094.jpg

bac1023
12-03-2009, 19:15
Sorry to hear.

Great CS or not, that's a bad sign.

willowofwisp
12-03-2009, 19:18
Sorry to hear.

Great CS or not, that's a bad sign.

yea i agree, i think the sear is Ed Brown too.

What do you think it could be Bac?

bac1023
12-03-2009, 19:27
yea i agree, i think the sear is Ed Brown too.

What do you think it could be Bac?

Is there any trigger resistance at all, or does it just fall back?

aglocker1911
12-03-2009, 19:27
Sounds like the trigger overtravel screw vibrated in a little. It is keeping the trigger from going back far enough to rop the hammer, or if you do get the hammer to release, the trigger isn't back far enough to let the hammer go past the half cock notch. try backing the screw out and see if that helps. Good luck.

Quack
12-03-2009, 19:28
that sucks :(
check to see if the over-travel screw moved out of it's adjustment.

Quack
12-03-2009, 19:29
a quick way to check if it's the over travel screw is to just remove the mag release. if the hammer now drops, then it's the over-travel screw.

bac1023
12-03-2009, 19:29
It does sound like a trigger issue, which should be an easy fixed.

It may have shot itself loose if it wasn't tight to begin with.

willowofwisp
12-03-2009, 19:35
I got the hammer to go back down i racked the slide like two times and it fall all the way down, i tried again and it only went 3/4 of the way.

There isn't really much resistance at all, the trigger only goes a back to the reset point.

How can i access the set screw?

Quack
12-03-2009, 19:38
iff you look at the front of the trigger you will see a hole. that is how you access the over-travel screw.

willowofwisp
12-03-2009, 19:39
is it an allen wrench? because its a pretty small whole

Quack
12-03-2009, 19:41
yep.
it will be quicker to remove the mag release.

the over-travel screw stops the trigger movement when it hit the mag release.

bac1023
12-03-2009, 19:43
I got the hammer to go back down i racked the slide like two times and it fall all the way down, i tried again and it only went 3/4 of the way.

There isn't really much resistance at all, the trigger only goes a back to the reset point.

How can i access the set screw?

Its an allen screw adjustment.

Good luck with it.

oops, Quack beat me to it.

willowofwisp
12-03-2009, 19:45
alrite i tried adjusting hte set screw and that didn't help, i noticed the sear connector wasn't raised all the way up when i field stripped the gun but it did have spring tension still

Quack
12-03-2009, 19:46
did you field or detail strip it?
are you talking about the dis-connector?

willowofwisp
12-03-2009, 19:49
did you field or detail strip it?
are you talking about the dis-connector?

i field stripped it and i u can see that little metal piece that goes up and down i believe htats the disconnector.

if i insert the mag into the gun like a speed load kinda hard the then i could pull the trigger and drpo the hammer.

Quack
12-03-2009, 19:52
try this...
rack the slide.
hold the slide back about 1/2"
pull and hold the trigger back.
release the slide.
slowly let the trigger out.

do you hear/feel a click?

willowofwisp
12-03-2009, 19:58
try this...
rack the slide.
hold the slide back about 1/2"
pull and hold the trigger back.
release the slide.
slowly let the trigger out.

do you hear/feel a click?

ya i can feel and hear a click

Quack
12-03-2009, 20:05
hmmmm...i'm at a los for any eHelp. if it were mine, i'd detail strip it to see what's going on. since it's your 1st 1911 and it's new, a call to DS would be in order.

willowofwisp
12-03-2009, 20:08
Alrite cool and thanks for all the help, hopefuly they are like Springfield or S&W

bac1023
12-03-2009, 20:19
I'd call and raise a bit of hell, to be honest.

willowofwisp
12-03-2009, 20:22

Oh trust me i will, especially since they planned on using this 1911 for the marine 2010 testing...if it can't even handle a full PPC match it won't work anywhere else lol. I will not pay for any shipping and i think they should throw in an extra mag for me IMO.

Overall though the gun was good, i know failures happen all the time and i have a bad luck when getting new guns, normally shipping gets delayed, gun is back ordered or something....i thought this was gonna be a smooth new gun experience lol

Quack
12-03-2009, 20:22

and not to mention how it looks for them as it will sour other from buying one, regardless of what the gun writers say.

also tell them to make a railess version for bac :rofl:

bac1023
12-03-2009, 20:25
also tell them to make a railess version for bac :rofl:

:rofl:

Yeah, I like it other than the rail. :)

willowofwisp
12-03-2009, 20:31
well when i do get the gun back i plan on adding a wilson mag well and these grips

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/products/1911%20full%20size%20grips/full/351JFS.jpg

bac1023
12-03-2009, 20:37
well when i do get the gun back i plan on adding a wilson mag well and these grips

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/products/1911%20full%20size%20grips/full/351JFS.jpg

I like the style of the grips, but I wouldn't put Wilson logos on your Doublestar.

Get the grips without the logo.

willowofwisp
12-03-2009, 20:45
I wasn't aware they made them without the logo but thats sweet.

another thing, i wasn't fond of the novak mag the gun comes with, i much prefer my Shooting star mags, they function flawlessly and the base pad is a little bigger.

L-2
12-03-2009, 22:13
deleted

willowofwisp
12-04-2009, 11:09
I called them this morning and they were pretty nice over the phone, i talked with the guy who will be fixing my 1911 and told him my problem, he said that its the ed brown sear that's causing it and they have had a few with the same issues that are just coming up. He said they will mail me a prepaid shipping label and that the turn around will be just a day. I should have it sent to them and back to me by end of next week. Who knows maybe they will throw in a free mag for me lol.

Mayhem like Me
12-04-2009, 12:21
Ed Brown Perfection and Hardcore sears are pretty good kit, BUT you have to install them correctly...

Quack
12-04-2009, 12:57
Ed Brown Perfection and Hardcore sears are pretty good kit, BUT you have to install them correctly...

yep, it's not a parts problem (DW & EB don't have problems), it's a DS manufacturing issue.
it's kinda like the early Sig 1911's, good parts, but there were plenty of issues.

willowofwisp
12-04-2009, 13:03
yep, it's not a parts problem (DW & EB don't have problems), it's a DS manufacturing issue.
it's kinda like the early Sig 1911's, good parts, but there were plenty of issues.

yea im not sure what the issue is if it was installed incorrectly or maybe the part is actually broken, whichever it is im glad the company is working to make it right and not giving me some crazy run arounds.

faawrenchbndr
12-04-2009, 13:46
Sorry to hear of your troubles with the DoubleStar,......

Contact Larry Davidson about a set of those grips, he'll make nearly
anything you can dream up.

triggerjerk
12-04-2009, 17:16
Nice pics. We need moar. :)

Good to see they are sending you a PRE PAID label.
Unlike other makers . . .

L-2
12-12-2009, 09:54
deleted

okie
12-12-2009, 10:19
I'm so sorry about your problems my friend, I hope you can get it fixed quickly:angel:

L-2
12-12-2009, 10:24
deleted

okie
12-12-2009, 10:33
Although this post was immediately after mine, it must be for the OP, as I've got no problems with my Doublestar.

It is for the OP my friend:thumbsup:

willowofwisp
12-12-2009, 15:00
The gun is at DoubleStar now and it i will have it back by wednesday or tuesday. I can't wait i wanna put at lesat 400 rounds through it before my match i have to shoot on january 10th

bac1023
12-12-2009, 18:41
First some obligatory photos, not in order.
1. Just the overall gun.
2. Something I'd not seen before; a pinned front sight.
3. Original guide rod on right; I replaced it with a nicer one I already had laying around which had been nicely ground/polished/modified for me by a very fine local builder named 'Jardine', from another gun a while back. Some of you may have heard of him. When field stripping, the installed recoil spring had a bit of a sharp burr on the guide-rod end, which scratched the original guide rod upon disassembly. I filed off the burr and cleaned up the original guide rod pretty well with a fine file as that darn recoil spring actually cut into the original guide rod (now a spare) while removing it.

Also, when initially field stripping the gun, the firing pin spring merely fell out with the firing pin instead of coming out together. Presumably the firing pin spring was installed with the big end on the firing pin instead of the other way around. I suppose it'd still work that way. It's just not the way I was taught to put those parts together. I reassembled it my way with the smaller end on the firing pin first, which keeps the firing pin & spring together.

Also, somebody on another forum/thread mentioned his (the guy on another forum/thread) slide stop needed replacement due to finish issues. My slide stop was fine.

I put 108 rounds downrange without fault yesterday. At 7 yards, I chewed out a 2" hole without problem/effort (after seeing Steven Seagal on his new TV reality cop show!). 100 rounds were Winchester FMJ white box (bought when I could still find it a WalMart); and 8 rounds of Speer JHP GoldDot, which I'd normally have in the gun when carrying, all 230 grain.

After owning 1 Colt and 3 Kimbers over the years as my previously owned 1911s, I was quite impressed to get those 108 rounds downrange without any hiccups at all!

Minor drawback(s): No night sight option, but my Surefire X300 fits on the Picatinny rail just fine anyway, which I may take off my Kimber Warrior and later put on this gun instead.

Overall, a great gun for less than $1100 via BudGunShop.com.

Very nice and glad to hear.

Like I said, if they build one without the rail, I will have one immediately.

willowofwisp
12-15-2009, 16:20
I got the gun back today from doublestar, overall quick turn around. I sent it out thursday morning and got it back today, trigger works. Thursday ill be hitting up the range, brining 100 rounds with me!

Mayhem like Me
12-23-2009, 12:47
Update???/

willowofwisp
12-23-2009, 16:08
the gun shoots great, i put 200 rounds through it last week and its working good, i plan on running another 200 through it over the weekend.

itsveryniiice
02-21-2010, 04:27
Still running well? Would you buy again (recommend) or go the Dan Wesson route?

L-2
02-21-2010, 06:59
deleted

Deployment Solu
02-21-2010, 07:30
I really like the overall look of that gun!! I may get one, but will wait until I hear the issues have been adequately fixed. :cool:

glock2740
02-22-2010, 08:26
Sorry to hear that you had trouble right off the bat with a new 1911. I would definately call them and see how they respond. I don't know if I would detail strip it before sending it back though, as that may give them some kind of slimy excuse to try and throw it back onto you. Especially if they have any idead that it's your first 1911. Let them do the detail strip and fix whatever is wrong. Good luck and let us know how they treat you.

tous
02-22-2010, 09:16
Regarding trigger overtravel screws:

Many of them are installed with LockTite in an aluminum trigger shoe. Trying to adjust this screw may result in converting a threaded hole in the soft trigger into a smooth hole.

As mentioned, remove the magazine catch and retest.

NB: being an old carp, I am not a big fan of trigger overtravel screws. :fred: It is a feature that provides tiny advantage.