Tree stand safety reminder... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tree stand safety reminder...

ajstrider
12-05-2009, 04:27
A good friend from work fell out of his treestand Thursday and is currently paralyzed from the neck down. I am not sure how exactly he fell but remember to be extra careful in your tree stand and when ascending/descending. Every year people get hurt or killed from treestands and it doesn't really seem to affect you until it someone you know, or you.

Bitmap
12-05-2009, 16:50
When I was a kid my parents knew a man that fell out of his treestand and broke his back. He wasn't paralyzed but he did miss about a year of work.

BK63
12-05-2009, 18:32
My brother knows a guy who fell out of his tree stand last year some how. He just got up there and got turned around putting his harness around the tree or something like that. Did not have it all hooked up yet and caught his foot somehow and went out of it. It was some kind of climber. He broke his neck and could not move. Luckily he was able to reach his cell phone and call 911. They triangulated his position and were able to find him after 3 hours. He has some paralysis now, not sure how bad I never followed up but be careful when you climb up there. I admit I absolutely hate hights and when I hunt for deer I find myself a ridge to sit on looking down so I'm above the line of sight of deer. I just can't climb a tree.

Jonesee
12-05-2009, 20:22
was he in a stand or a climber?? there is a big difference in safety level...

paynter2
12-06-2009, 05:42
I don't, personally, know anyone who has fallen from a stand. Two people at work told me stories of falls.

The husband of one woman fell and hooked his thigh on a screw-in step. It ripped him open to the ankle. IIRC, he broke his leg too. Very close to bleeding out. He spent a couple of weeks in the hospital and more weeks off of work.

Another friend at work tells the story of a young carpenter - very active and fit guy - fell out of his stand onto some rocks. I think he broke his back. He was not paralyzed, but didn't recover fully.

Jim123_321
12-07-2009, 18:23
I can relate to this one, I cracked my neck falling out of a ladder stand 20 years ago and spent 3 months in a neck brace, So yes you can be seriously hurt even at a short distance, After that I bought a Tree Lounge and yes I do use the safety harness to this day,

Sorry to hear about your friend I can relate
Jim

gruntmedik
12-07-2009, 22:17
I've been a Flight Paramedic for 8 1/2 years. So far, this is the 1st season I have not flown someone from a hunting related injury (knock on wood). Tree stand falls are the most common I've seen.

When I step onto my climber, I hook up my harness before the climbing starts.

Jonesee
12-07-2009, 22:32
I've been a Flight Paramedic for 8 1/2 years. So far, this is the 1st season I have not flown someone from a hunting related injury (knock on wood). Tree stand falls are the most common I've seen.

When I step onto my climber, I hook up my harness before the climbing starts.

These guys are talking about a tree stand, as in ladder stand, not a climber...

I can understand taking a fall with a climber, but out of a ladder stand??? I bet a box of donuts they went to sleep and slipped off.

vafish
12-08-2009, 09:15
These guys are talking about a tree stand, as in ladder stand, not a climber...

I can understand taking a fall with a climber, but out of a ladder stand??? I bet a box of donuts they went to sleep and slipped off.

When I go up in a climber I strap to the tree before I start climbing. When I go up in a ladder stand or one built in a tree I strap to the tree as soon as I get up in it.

If I fall asleep I'll be swinging by my safety strap.