I can't quite explain it [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I can't quite explain it

Glockster_221
12-07-2009, 04:00
I don't know what it is, but these last few months, I've been having this insatiable urge to kill a bear. Grizzly, preferably.

Perhaps it is my inner caveman waking up, but I just want to go bear hunting. I've never been hunting and I used to be against it, but that was the past. Does anyone else feel this way?

What does one do with a bear carcass anyhow?

I don't imagine bear meat is very delicious.

paynter2
12-07-2009, 06:00
Generally the meat is given to a food shelf or organization (for Booya). I've eaten it - it had a sweet taste. I was not impressed with the taste - maybe it's an acquired taste.

Most people I know make a rug out of the hide and argue with the wife over where to put it.

I have never had the urge to kill a bear. Where I grew up there were lots of them. I used to see them all the time. But, they left me alone and I left them alone.

For black bear, no special rifle caliber is required. What ever you hunt deer with will work.

A camp I go to in Canada has great bear hunting. I think it's archery only. They could set you up with a bear hunt.

Glockster_221
12-07-2009, 06:15
Generally the meat is given to a food shelf or organization (for Booya). I've eaten it - it had a sweet taste. I was not impressed with the taste - maybe it's an acquired taste.

Most people I know make a rug out of the hide and argue with the wife over where to put it.

I have never had the urge to kill a bear. Where I grew up there were lots of them. I used to see them all the time. But, they left me alone and I left them alone.

For black bear, no special rifle caliber is required. What ever you hunt deer with will work.

A camp I go to in Canada has great bear hunting. I think it's archery only. They could set you up with a bear hunt.

Archery eh? I was thinking more along the lines of .30-06, .300 Winchester Mag., or rifled slug.

Glockster_221
12-07-2009, 06:15
Keep in mind I'm talking Grizzlies here.

paynter2
12-07-2009, 06:24
Keep in mind I'm talking Grizzlies here.

You said 'preferably' grizzlies. I qualified the choice of caliber for 'black bear'.

A friend shot a black bear, over a bait pile, with his bow. Man that thing moved like lightning when it got hit. He has a video of it.

He was hunting from a ground blind. My friend is in a wheel chair.

ralphie98
12-08-2009, 19:09
I had the same urge this year - but for black bear specifically. My dad's hunting land is in an area that has bears. Him and my brother tried one year but didn't quite know what they were doing so they came home empty handed. Others in the area have reported some success. I'm like you though, not sure what I would do with the meat. I'm the type that wants to use as much of the animal as possible but I don't even know if I'd like the taste. I guess there is one way to find out...

Glockster_221
12-08-2009, 19:20
I had the same urge this year - but for black bear specifically. My dad's hunting land is in an area that has bears. Him and my brother tried one year but didn't quite know what they were doing so they came home empty handed. Others in the area have reported some success. I'm like you though, not sure what I would do with the meat. I'm the type that wants to use as much of the animal as possible but I don't even know if I'd like the taste. I guess there is one way to find out...

Let me know how it goes. :supergrin: