bought a used pm40, should i be worried [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : bought a used pm40, should i be worried

97knives
12-08-2009, 09:38
its not my first pm, i had a pm9 a couple of years ago that i bought used as well. it was a flawless performer and always regretted letting it go. yesterday i was cruising on buds sight and saw a used 40 for $539 so i jumped on it before doing any research.

ive been looking through threads last night and now somemore today and there seems to be alot more probs with these than the 9. just wondering if most of the problems encountered (if i have any)can be ressolved without sending the gun in and if the newer production guns have the bugs worked out. the 3 most popular problems ive read on are the mag follower exploding, the slide release engaging and the barrel peening.

im having little anxiety attacks untill i get the first range session in.

hounds2
12-08-2009, 13:42
no, dont be worried. remember, the most avid contributors to boards are usually those with problems. i have a pm 40 and it always has worked flawlessly. my buddies pm 9 the same. i got mine new. cleaned it well and used tetra grease while breaking it in. works great. i carry it every day and shoot it occasionally in our combat shooting nite. it does have some bite with full loads but i shoot a bit milder reloads on combat nite. i love the gun. any gun can have problems. i have a glock as well. great gun too...its my primary combat gun and it been shot THOUSANDS of rounds with no problems. get on the glock board and you'd think there wasnt one that works. my experience with guns is that most work flawlessly....occasionally you get a bad one and that one usually never works right. good luck

scott

Caver 60
12-08-2009, 22:14
Mine was breaking magazine followers, because the lower end of the barrel feed ramp was banging it hard each time the last shot was fired. After I trimmed the feed ramp a little, it quit breaking followers. Several people on here have had Kahr trim it for them. Doing it yourself can void the warranty.

Check it by field stripping the pistol for cleaning. Then reinstall the takedown pin with the barrel, but not the slide, in place. Put in a empty magazine and push the barrel back to the position it's in when the last shot is fired. Under a strong light look and see if the feed ramp is in contact with the follower.

seed
12-09-2009, 07:34
Mine was breaking magazine followers, because the lower end of the barrel feed ramp was banging it hard each time the last shot was fired. After I trimmed the feed ramp a little, it quit breaking followers. Several people on here have had Kahr trim it for them. Doing it yourself can void the warranty.

Check it by field stripping the pistol for cleaning. Then reinstall the takedown pin with the barrel, but not the slide, in place. Put in a empty magazine and push the barrel back to the position it's in when the last shot is fired. Under a strong light look and see if the feed ramp is in contact with the follower.

That's similar to a problem with first gen KT P3AT's, as is the solution...although half-moon cut-out, "Flyer 'rampendectomies'" are the usual fix. Did you get any "smilies" before you trimmed the ramp?

Caver 60
12-09-2009, 09:22
No 'smilies' with the Kahr PM40 before the modification.

But my first generation P3AT had smiles until I did the 'rampendectomie' trick on it.

That's where I got the idea to do a Kahr type rampendectomie on the PM40. But the P3AT never damaged any magazine followers either. So something must be internally different between the two pistols, although the barrel feed ramp was the basic problem with both pistols.

Neither my new PM9, nor my well used MK9 have this follower striking problem either.

After the PM40 broke it's first follower, I contacted Kahr and they sent me a half dozen new followers, since I had 10 magazines for it. I put a brand new follower in the magazine with the broken follower and fired one magazine of ammo.

I withdrew the empty magazine, and there on the brand new follower was a big mark where the barrel had struck it. That's when I decided something had to be done. Since I did the modification, I've put about 1,000 rounds downrange with no more broken followers.

I've still got the five spare followers that Kahr sent me with a email about how the old followers were made with an inferior plastic. Funny how those old 'defective' followers have held up since the barrel quit pounding the stuffing out of them.

ETA And some of those old followers still bear battle scars where the feed ramp had whacked them, before the trim job.

97knives
12-11-2009, 13:14
i reg'd the gun today (im in ca.) and have the model number. it puts it made around oct '07 to early '08. can i assume that it has the updated followers and recoil spring?

12-17-2009, 17:53
I have a PM9 that has been flawless. I had a PM40 several years ao hat was a POS, I figured that 40 cal was too powerful for the design. Maybe they have been improved since then. That said I would fire it. If it works to your satisfaction then there is nothing more to be said. IMO the 40s have more problems than the 9s

97knives
01-17-2010, 20:55
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m312/hd0642/HPIM0494.jpg

here it is, i havn't had a chance to get out and run it through the paces yet. hopefully i'll get there this week.

97knives
01-28-2010, 15:44
so 1 month after getting this piece i finally get out today to run some rounds through it. i ran 250 rounds, 50 of them were 165 gr. gold dots that ill be carrying. it didn't miss a beat at all, digested everything without a hitch. the follower did semi blow up though, not enough to put a halt on the session but i had to push it to the rear when loading. recoil didn't feel bad at all through around 200 rounds, that is untill i started shooting my p220 and then went back to the pm40. thats when it felt like a real handfull. so all in all im very pleased with the reliability with the piece.

Caver 60
01-29-2010, 09:21
From reading your post, I take it that it's breaking followers. Sounds like you have four choices. Live with it, see if Kahr will fix it for free, pay Kahr or a local gunsmith to do the job, or do it yourself.

If you decide to fix it yourself be very careful. Study the way the offset feed ramp is located in relation to the magazine and the angle of the portion of the feed ramp in contact with the follower. Don't do anything to change the countour of the feed ramp above where it is striking the follower. Remember the bullet nose strikes the feed ramp above where the ramp is striking the follower. Remove only the amount of metal necessary to clear the follower while maintaining the offset feed ramp relationship. Nothing more.

I used a modified 7/32 chainsaw file. I ground the smooth end of the chainsaw file off, and then smoothed and rounded the ground end so it would not gouge the barrell hood as I worked. I also put a piece of duct tape inside the top of the chamber laping it over the barrel hood to protect it against accidental file strikes. Then I worked very carefully and slowly and removed the desired amount of metal. Use lots of trial fit checks as you work to make sure you don't take off too much metal, or take off metal in the wrong place. Then I polished the feed ramp where I had filed with my Dremel. I didn't want to grind with the Dremel, because it's too easy to take off too much metal.

Again this will probably void the warrenty, if you have a warrenty in the first place. It could also ruin the barrel. Do it at your own risk.

If you aren't sure of your gunsmithing skills, it's best to get Kahr or a local gunsmith to fix it for you. Good luck.

97knives
01-29-2010, 15:57
thanks caver, i have seen your other postings of this modification and was pondering doing it. i installed the barrel without the slide and saw that it was grazing the front of the follower of my 6 rounder that i luckily forgot to bring with me on the range session. i took a knife and carved some of the plastic off the follower and it seems to not be touching it anymore. we'll see if it did the trick my next time out, my standard rule of thumb is always to take plastic off rather than metal when dealing with a gun modification..

Caver 60
01-29-2010, 20:23
I also had a problem with my six round mags. I have quite a few, both five and six round mags.

Do you notice that the six round mag takes much, and I do mean much, more pressure to load the mag? Mine would jam the first round fired much of the time out of the six rounder, when shooting 6 plus 1.

Long story short, I sloved the problem by putting five round springs in the six round magazines. I've not had that problem ever again, since the mod.

Everything still works great and the slide locks back reliabily on the last shot with the modified six round magazines.

That's after Kahr gave me the old song and dance about the six round magazine not being designed for the PM40. So why do they ship them as a standard extra with a new PM40 in the first place???

Hope you don't have this problem.

ETA The five round mags have been 100% in a five plus one configuration. Never a problem with the five rounders, ever, FMJ or HP's of any kind all feed great. They now also all feed great with the modified six rounders.