.45's and Women? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .45's and Women?

hac55
12-08-2009, 13:45
I am shopping for a .45 ccw, I am interested in the Glock G36, maybe a Glock G30, but when i step in to a firearm shop, and let it be known why I am there, I get the raised eyebrow, wrinkled forehead, and then the tight lips from the guy behind the counter. Then the next sentence is "Oh, that is a big gun, let me show you this.", usually a 9mm. I guess because this will be my first firearm ccw. I did have the opportunity to fire a Golck I believe it was a G30 and it felt good to me. My husband is very supportive and even encouraging, because he knows I am a strong woman and can handle the firearm, he even gets a little annoyed, because he says, these people don't even know you, how do they know that you can or can not handle a large caliber firearm? I certainly wouldn't carry any firearm if I wasn't proficient with it.

I guess my question is what do you girls carry, and do you get any of the above mentioned treatment when you go shopping? And to the men if any of you are reading this, any constructive suggestions or input is welcome.

gsr
12-08-2009, 15:59
My 5"3", 105 lb sister can manage my brother's Springfield compact .45 just fine.

Mrs.Cicero
12-08-2009, 17:29
i find another gun shop, not run by people who think two X xhrmosomes = automatic (or semi-automatic) incompetence. Hence, I buy my guns in PA and have the shipped to an FFL in MI where I live... sigh.

Mrs.Cicero, still tired of men who think i should be shooting a revolver

DaveCharlie09
12-08-2009, 17:42
Definitly go with a .45. Gender has absolutely nothing to do with what caliber you can handle. When I sold guns, I would always encourage female shooters to shoot what they were comfortable with, regardless of size. I even took a prospective buyer to the range with a few of our used guns to test out. She shot a .45 the best out of the four guns I brought. She had been the victim of an abusive relationship, and was fearful for her life. She told me after completing her purchase, that she had been shunned at other stores. She was happy with her pistol, and I was glad to have gone the extra mile to get her set up right. She called my boss and expressed her appreciation. I got a raise. She became a regular customer. I hate it when people judge other peoples abilities based on looks alone. Shop around until' you find a respectful dealer. Don't give your hard earned money to a *********.:wavey:

hac55
12-08-2009, 20:42
Thanks for all the great input to my question. You have given the confidence i needed to get the job done right. I will go with the .45, my husband has been saying to go with it since I can handle it, and I will shop around for a dealer who doesn't judge by the packaging.

Oh by the way, This is a great website. I am so glad I stumbled upon it during my research!!

AV1911
12-08-2009, 20:55
Hi Hac55...The first gun I bought was a .40 caliber, the second a 1911 Kimber .45. The only reason the .40 came first was because I had to special order the .45 and didn't want to wait so long for my first gun. As you can tell by my avatar, I LOVE my 1911!! I now have a .22 along with other "lessor" calibers, but I learned to shoot with my .45.

Don't let anyone tell you what is right for you...as only you know. Besides, if you get one and don't like it, or it proves too much for you, sell it, trade it or whatever and get what is right. I have bought and sold numerous guns simply because I didn't like them.

Hope this helps....and best of luck!!

sawgrass
12-08-2009, 21:05
hac55
Welcome to Glock Talk! It is a great site, filled with information.
FWIW, my local dealer who didn't listen to me at first is now a
pretty good friend. Stick to your guns, (pun intended), and it will
likely work out. Gun guys are a friendly bunch once they figure you
out. I LOVE shooting .45ACP. It's my favorite caliber for pistols.
SG

Foxfire5
12-08-2009, 21:33
My 5"3", 105 lb sister can manage my brother's Springfield compact .45 just fine.

A fews years back I taught two Asian girls that work in the office at the State Patrol that probably weigh 90lbs each how to shoot my 45 Colt Combat Commander along with my G26 and G19. For first time shooters they both kept all rounds on paper at 15 yards. :faint:

M1A Shooter
12-08-2009, 21:41
i fell into this with my wife when we first started shooting together. she had only shot a 19 before that so i kept her on 9mm compacts. then moved her up to fullsize steel pistols like a sig 226. while i was loading her mag, as she couldnt get the last 2 rounds in, she stepped around me and picked up the glock 21 i was trying out in the lane next to her. loaded it like the 19 she was used to and ripped off 13 rounds more accurately than she ever did with her 19. she is set on 45 as well.

if you cant find a decent shop, go to a range and rent what you want if you can first. then buy wherever as you will already know what you want.

Mr V
12-09-2009, 17:21
If you can find a range were you can rent some 45's to shoot do so.
For my wife the Glocks and Sigs feel like they have less recoil for her.
She prefers the feel and handling of the SIG 220 over all other 45.
(her two carry guns are SIG 229 or a Star Firestar (no longer made) in 9mm)
Your story reminds me of the time wife and I took a shooting class.
She shows up with a Colt 1911 (good sights, nice trigger, etc) and is positioned on the firing line between two men. BOTH of them made the comment "isn't that sort of a big gun for you".
Wife didn't say a thing.. when she fire 3 rounds at the target and all 3 could be covered by th quarter they never mentioned it again!!
Good luck on your quest....

Mrs. Tink
12-09-2009, 17:41
I carry a 9mm. I got started on a G17, and did just fine. I tend to be a little frustrated with people who think women should start with (insert lower caliber than you are looking for here). You know--the type that say, if you are looking for a 9mm, shouldn't you get a .22? If you are looking for a .45, they suggest 9mm, etc.

The only .45 we have is a Springfield Armory 1911, and that bruises the bone at the base of my thumb when I shoot it unless I wear gloves. However, handling the firearm itself is not a problem. I have larger hands with long fingers and have an easy time with most firearms. Sooo, I am looking for a Desert Eagle. :supergrin:

desertdweller
12-09-2009, 18:22
FWIW. I found the 30 "spread" the recoil over a wider area and afforded me faster follow-up. Both 36 and 30 are fine ccw pistols. My fiance uses my 30 with annoying regularity.

drpdw
12-09-2009, 20:15
Oh, my!
This gun calibre prejudice is just like those male car dealership toads who think that a (small) feminine package = no brains or strength! I would certainly find a range/gun shop where you feel comfortable asking about the pros and cons of different weapons and who encourage you to try whatever weapon you want and feel comfortable handling!

My first semi-auto was a Glock 26, which is now my CCW. I also have a Sig P239...sweet, accurate range pistol. I have shot just about everything over the past several months, thanks to some really great Tuesday-morning range partners who know that I want to learn how to shoot all different sizes and types of hanguns. I can handle just about anything now, and even shot a Dirty Harry 44 mag revolver last week with a hair trigger. When I set a round in center-target, my LEO friend smiled...and the next man over said, "that 'a girl! Want to try my new .357?" I did, and it was fun! I've shot full and medium-sized revolvers and semi-autos, single and double action...Full-sized 45s (e.g.. Sig -P245 or 220s are a lot of gun) but due to their weight and size, shoot extremely well, even if you have small hands (I wear a 6 1.2 glove). I've yet to shoot a small .45...but would love to try one!

I say to you, try as many different 45s (or whatever calibre you decide on) that you can PRIOR to making a purchase. Shoot AND shop where you feel comfortable AND are treated as well (and in MY case, better) than the men!

Go get'em!
-PDW

I am shopping for a .45 ccw, I am interested in the Glock G36, maybe a Glock G30, but when i step in to a firearm shop, and let it be known why I am there, I get the raised eyebrow, wrinkled forehead, and then the tight lips from the guy behind the counter. Then the next sentence is "Oh, that is a big gun, let me show you this.", usually a 9mm. I guess because this will be my first firearm ccw. I did have the opportunity to fire a Golck I believe it was a G30 and it felt good to me. My husband is very supportive and even encouraging, because he knows I am a strong woman and can handle the firearm, he even gets a little annoyed, because he says, these people don't even know you, how do they know that you can or can not handle a large caliber firearm? I certainly wouldn't carry any firearm if I wasn't proficient with it.

I guess my question is what do you girls carry, and do you get any of the above mentioned treatment when you go shopping? And to the men if any of you are reading this, any constructive suggestions or input is welcome.

C.Lee
12-11-2009, 08:05
My aunt Pat shot in many tournaments in Florida as a young lady and won many competitions. She shot both rifles and the 1911, and beat many men in both classes (boy oh boy didn't the men hate that!).

Don't let anyone tell you you cant do something, always try it for yourself and see what feels right for YOU.

Lone_Wolfe
12-13-2009, 10:09
I......... I get the raised eyebrow, wrinkled forehead, and then the tight lips from the guy behind the counter. Then the next sentence is "Oh, that ........................

I'll just say that it doesn't matter what you're shopping for, you should get better treatment before you fork over your money. I had a similar experience when I wanted to buy a new Mustang a few years ago. I went to a couple Ford dealers knowing exactly what options I wanted and didn't want, right down to the color. I handed a printout from Ford's website with "my" car spelled out in detail and this one dealer said, "Now little lady, you don't want that car. You could never resell it with all those options and a stick shift. Let me show this one with automatic..........".

I pointedly told him that
I was buying the car for me to drive, not resell.
He was right, I didn't want that car........ from anyone who talked to me like that.

The next dealer I went to looked at my spec sheet and said "That's not a production car, but we sure can order it for you. Would you like me to do so?".

I don't mean to hijack your thread into a car thread, but just wanted to illustrate my point about being treated with respect. I still have the aforementioned Mustang and I'll bet you can guess which dealer sold it to me.....:whistling:

hac55
12-13-2009, 16:20
Lone_Wolf, Good for you!! You are so right, and I have used the car analagy when talking to my husband, who is my best friend, about this.

I did some calling around here and found a local dealer about 30 minutes away from where i live, who had a Glock G36 in stock. So i jumped right in my car and drove up the road. When I walked in to the store, I said, " I called you earlier, he walked right over to the counter where the Glock G 36 was, laid it on the counter and said, you are the lady who likes the big guns, and I said the big calibers. He was not a bit condecending and was very helpful. I left the store with my new Glock under my arm, a box of shells, and a 2010 calendar, from Jim's Sporrting Goods in Canton PA.

Canton is just a small "hick" town, but Jim had exactly what I was looking for in merchandise and customer service..

I Can't wait to get to the range now!! :supergrin:

Lone_Wolfe
12-13-2009, 17:04
Glad you found a dealer you like and they had what you wanted in stock. The downside to my Mustang purchase was that it took 6 weeks for Ford to build it to order. :supergrin: I wanted it YESTERDAY! :rofl:

Enjoy you gun safely and in good health!

fsqridah
12-18-2009, 08:24
Lone_Wolfe, the salesman was right...sort of. I guess he forgot to mention you don't want the Mustang at all. Well, at least that's what I would've said. :rofl: (you can probably tell I don't like Mustangs, or anything by Ford)

Anyway, hac55, you're on the right website. Cartridge choice is such a subjective matter, and if you want a .45 ACP, get one. If the guy behind the counter says it's too big, just know that he carries a .45, and the thought of a woman carrying the same thing reminds him that his manhood no longer satisfies his dead beat wife.

My g/f took my G29 (10mm) to her CCW class and the instructor harassed her about the whole time. It was completely in fun; I had his class two years ago and he's the funniest guy you'll ever meet. She found herself laughing with him, but for some reason most of the others didn't get the "hand cannon" jokes. Well, suffice it to say, when they finally got it, pretty much everybody in the room was scared of her. The rest had .380 ACPs, 9mm's, .40s, .45s, and .38 spl's. She had the most powerful gun there, and the instructor made sure everyone knew it. My point? People (especially little boys who call themselves men) are insecure and intimidated by a woman who carries a bigger, badder gun than they do, so they'll try to steer you away from it. If they give you an attitude, tell them to jam that 9mm up their *** and never go back.

BUT, keep in mind that most gun shops will have total a-holes as well as some pretty cool guys that will work with you the best they can to fit your needs. So it's usually just better to ask if you can speak with someone else. They'll get the message pretty quick.

Enjoy the G36. There are plenty of G36ers on here that can help you if you need it. Have fun, be safe, and good shooting.

TattooedGlock
12-18-2009, 16:11
Let's hear a range report with some target pics!

SiGlockBoy
12-24-2009, 08:28
My wife has shot many many types of firearms and in lots of calibers. The only one she doesn't like is 44mag. She can shoot it. She just doesn't like it.

She now has a Glock 26 and loves it. Don't worry about caliber. Get what fits you and you can shoot accurately and in a controlled manner.

My daughter sends her friends my way as I have always found out what is best for them regardless of size or stats. I go through the questions and let them guide theirself to what is best. I've taught many women to shoot also and most have thanked me for not being the jerk that some salespeople are.

Try the 30 or 30sf. As long as it fits you, it is soft to shoot, 45acp and as accurate as most larger 45s out there.

NDC187
12-24-2009, 21:01
Caliber size and recoil is only in the mind. The difference is so small. I was always taught, "Recoil is only in the mind." The task at hand is greater than what caliber your shooting. It's all bs and you should call those gun shop punks uninformed "newbs" :wavey:

PATRICE
01-23-2010, 07:42

Squaw Man Wolfer
01-23-2010, 21:31
The .45 is actually an excellent weapon for a woman, it just takes proper shooting technique. (man or woman.)

A woman may face two issues that need to be dealt with. One, many women like to have soft hands, and it is hard to get REALLY good with a gun without enough range time to build some calluses. But, you can get pretty darn good with a lot of attention to grip and load selection, and still keep the moisterized hands.

Two, some women like long fingernails so there can be some wrap around problems.

Both of these issues can be worked through by the individual.

NEOH212
01-24-2010, 05:20
I just don't get why these guys at gun shops consistently think that a female can't handle a .45? It's nothing for a few of my female friends to shoot my .45's and shoot them well! In fact, one of them carries a 45! Both on and off duty! I say if you want a 45, go for it! The heck with those people that say it's too much for a woman. They just don't want you to, well how should I say this, "Have one that's bigger than theirs!" :rofl:

NEOH212
01-24-2010, 05:23
I just wanted to illustrate my point about being treated with respect.

First and foremost! Especially for a Lady! +1 :thumbsup:

threefeathers
01-24-2010, 11:19
Hi, there is a websith I want to make you aware of. corneredcat.com. Kathy Jackson is my close freind and she is full of great advice for you. I teach women in separate classes from males and each class has a number in .45ACP, and they learn how to handle them.

Angry Fist
01-24-2010, 11:25
My Wife wants a Ruger Alaskan .454...Can't see a problem with that:tongueout:

Angry Fist
01-24-2010, 11:32
There are plenty of men and women who find a 9mm to be less than ideal. Don't ever let anyone tell you to stick with 9 cuz you're a woman. My wife can drop lead with a G20 as well as most people!:supergrin:

Nickotym
01-24-2010, 18:48
My wife has not shot, my 1911, but my 11 year old son has without much difficulty. some say the bigger gun absorbs recoil better than a smaller automatic.

Squaw Man Wolfer
01-24-2010, 18:56
My wife has not shot, my 1911, but my 11 year old son has without much difficulty. some say the bigger gun absorbs recoil better than a smaller automatic.

I agree. The M1911 has a ferocious rep, but is very moderate to shoot for a trained shooter with a proper grip.

roy hobbs
01-24-2010, 18:58
My son, who weighs 125 lbs, always causes a stir at the range with the Ruger Super Redhawk 44 Magnum. Usually somebody has something stupid to say until he shoots the center out of the target. Correct stance, correct arm postion and not afraid by any means of the big boom.

ArtCrafter
01-25-2010, 21:36
I am shopping for a .45 ccw...to the men if any of you are reading this, any constructive suggestions or input is welcome.

:sarcasm on:

I think the more you shop around, the more gun store cLeRkS you will find who have only the capacity to grunt, emit greenhouse gases, and make hand shadows simulating sex acts.

And those are the chatty ones.

This phenomenon isn't limited to just gun shop attendants, either. Insufferable prima donnas are overrepresented throughout the entire firearms industry.

The bottom line is there is no Customer Service Academy in the gun business. Almost never an HR Department, either. In other words, Sensitivity Training is not exactly de rigeur.

:sarcasm off:

YMMV

Hedo1
01-26-2010, 07:46
Don't let it deter you. Anyone can learn to use a .45. I've taught both my wife and 14 yr old son to shoot the .45 acp just fine. The recoil, imo, is more of a push then a snap when compared to a 9mm.

By the way my wife's daily ccw is a SW .357 mag. She's fired hundreds of full power rounds thru it.

drpdw
01-29-2010, 13:41
I've only been shooting now for a little over 1 year but fortunately, have had the opportunity to shoot just about every calibre out there--- wheel guns and semi-autos, including .45 ACPs. I am on the small side and have small hands but have developed a very solid, practiced grip that can even handle a .44 magnum at 7 yards.

If you want to shoot and carry a .45, find one that fits your hands and meets your needs. Never let anyone patronize you or tell you that you cannot handle a .45!

BTW, the other day, when my hubby was off from work for MLK Day, I took him to the range for his first venture with my three .9mms (after he got a taste for aiming at a target with my Beretta Neos .22LR). He did great with the .22, stayed on the paper with the Sig, but found the Glock 26 too much to handle the first time out. The man, BTW, is a solid #210 man... So, long story short, size, weight and gender do NOT dictate what calibre a person can or should fire!
-drpdw:cool:

purpledragonlily
01-31-2010, 00:13
I read the orginal posts and skimmed the rest and see you did buy a G36! Good for you and I also had a similar experience. I was trying to decide between the 30 and 36 and had looked at both a few times. The guys who didn't know me at all I got some of the same that you did from, but when I actually went to buy it the guy knew me from coming in to the range all the time so he was very professional.

A few months ago however I decided to buy a shotgun for home defense. Planned to buy a pistol grip 12G and the hubby and I had looked at a few so I had it in my head what I wanted. Gun store guy gave me the whole "have you ever shot a 12 guage? yada yada" (which was no) and talked me out of it, I walked out with a full size 12G Mossberg. Well... take it to the range a little later and it is so long I cannot easily pump it- so I gave it to my son. Returned a couple weeks ago and bought the Mossberg 500 pistol grip I wanted and have since shot it just fine. On the day I bought the second it was again someone who I was familiar with from coming in to the range to shoot. Lesson learned- I know what I want and should stick to it. :)

Enjoy your .45. I have had my 36 for almost a year and it's been flawless, plan to buy the 30 with my tax refund probably in the next few weeks. I carry the 36 a lot. My 14 yo son loves to shoot it as well.

Squaw Man Wolfer
01-31-2010, 03:29
:sarcasm on:

I think the more you shop around, the more gun store cLeRkS you will find who have only the capacity to grunt, emit greenhouse gases, and make hand shadows simulating sex acts.

And those are the chatty ones.

This phenomenon isn't limited to just gun shop attendants, either. Insufferable prima donnas are overrepresented throughout the entire firearms industry.

The bottom line is there is no Customer Service Academy in the gun business. Almost never an HR Department, either. In other words, Sensitivity Training is not exactly de rigeur.

:sarcasm off:

YMMV

You are right. While there are a very few GOOD gun store clerks, the vast majority are 20 cents over minimum wage wannabe jerkoffs. Forum rules do not allow me to REALLY tell the truth.

hac55
01-31-2010, 21:28
:cool: Thanks to all of you for the encouragement and support you have shown in this thread. I just want to update you on my status.

As you may have read, I did purchase a Glock G36, 45 ACP, and since that time I have participated in 4 out of 5 weeks of firearm training. This Wednesday night is the last night of classes and we will be doing "Hogan's Alley", I can't wait. The Classes have been a whrilwind of information for me.
I have become a very accurate shooter, once I learned how to find a good site picture, and preform a good trigger squeeze. One night after class I came home and was complaining about my target and my husband said, "what's wrong with that"? I had all my shots straight up and down the middle of the target. I said, "they're supposed to be center mass?" and husband said, " Lots of pepole would love to be able to shoot like that because, not one shot was to the left or right, they were all in a straight line centered from top to bottom of target" . So I felt a little better about that. But the next class I was spot on in the bulls eye area. 11/12 and one on the outside. That was in the dark, while holding a flashlight also. So Thanks again to each and everyone of you, and if you are considering a G36, and are afraid to purchase one because of all the horror stories, I just love mine. I was so afraid to buy one, because I was scared to death of the stories that surrounded that model. If I had to guess I would blame human error and not the glock, I clean and oil mine after each use. Oh yes, and I affectionately, call her "Baby". :)
Thank you again! :yourock:

hac55
01-31-2010, 21:38
[/quote] Lesson learned- I know what I want and should stick to it. :)

Enjoy your .45. I have had my 36 for almost a year and it's been flawless, plan to buy the 30 with my tax refund probably in the next few weeks. I carry the 36 a lot. My 14 yo son loves to shoot it as well.[/quote]

Good for you, I also have learned the same lesson as you. "Be sure of your self and when you know what you want stick with it"!

Kudos to you son, I am waiting until my grandies get a little older to introduce them to firearms the proper way.

I also am going buy the G30 here in February, It will be a Birthday gift for my husband, but I know he will share! :whistling:

hac55
01-31-2010, 21:42
Hi, there is a websith I want to make you aware of. corneredcat.com. Kathy Jackson is my close freind and she is full of great advice for you. I teach women in separate classes from males and each class has a number in .45ACP, and they learn how to handle them.
Hi Threefeathers, I have been to Kathy's site and have it bookmarked! I love it

Zombie Steve
01-31-2010, 21:55
Congratulations. Now go back to that gun store and ask if they have anything with a little more guts to it. :supergrin:

Welcome to Glocktalk.:wavey:

pgg00
01-31-2010, 22:02
Good job in the class. I've taken several women shooting. I usually bring several different handguns and let them try what they want. My ex ended up making me buy her a G21 when we were together since she liked mine so much. Several have also ended up buying the G30 after shooting mine. Maybe its just me but the .45 seems to be the most pleasant to shoot of the Glocks. Though my 10mm is right there with them :)

LadyDoc
02-01-2010, 17:35
:cool: Thanks to all of you for the encouragement and support you have shown in this thread. I just want to update you on my status.

As you may have read, I did purchase a Glock G36, 45 ACP, and since that time I have participated in 4 out of 5 weeks of firearm training. This Wednesday night is the last night of classes and we will be doing "Hogan's Alley", I can't wait. The Classes have been a whrilwind of information for me.
I have become a very accurate shooter, once I learned how to find a good site picture, and preform a good trigger squeeze. One night after class I came home and was complaining about my target and my husband said, "what's wrong with that"? I had all my shots straight up and down the middle of the target. I said, "they're supposed to be center mass?" and husband said, " Lots of pepole would love to be able to shoot like that because, not one shot was to the left or right, they were all in a straight line centered from top to bottom of target" . So I felt a little better about that. But the next class I was spot on in the bulls eye area. 11/12 and one on the outside. That was in the dark, while holding a flashlight also. So Thanks again to each and everyone of you, and if you are considering a G36, and are afraid to purchase one because of all the horror stories, I just love mine. I was so afraid to buy one, because I was scared to death of the stories that surrounded that model. If I had to guess I would blame human error and not the glock, I clean and oil mine after each use. Oh yes, and I affectionately, call her "Baby". :)
Thank you again! :yourock:

Hi, I'm new and have been following this thread. Glad to know that you are happy with your purchase.

I've been shooting for less than a year. Got a G19 in March (never owned a firearm before), and joined IDPA in October. If I decided to "graduate" to a .45, I'll certainly consider a G36.

By the way, I was recently in Jim's in Canton to puchase a hunting license, and it seemed like a great place. Glad he treated you right.

Spence
02-03-2010, 09:18
Good thread here. My wife runs into the same issue all the time. She is more of a gun enthusiast than me. I will admit she shoots her 45 better than I do. She got her CCW recently so we went off to look for her carry piece. We left 1 shop instantly when the bilge behind the counter decided he knew her better than herself or me, her helper, who was standing right there. He insisted that she look at all the 380s before she decided on a 9. Long story short we went back to that same store the next day since they were the only ones who had the exact gun she wanted. There was a different guy working there that day and he was great. He made my wife a long time buyer. She justs calls to make sure bilge is off and good guy is on duty before she goes. Congrats on your new 45 btw!

G19Tony
02-03-2010, 18:53
Lone_Wolf, Good for you!! You are so right, and I have used the car analagy when talking to my husband, who is my best friend, about this.

I did some calling around here and found a local dealer about 30 minutes away from where i live, who had a Glock G36 in stock. So i jumped right in my car and drove up the road. When I walked in to the store, I said, " I called you earlier, he walked right over to the counter where the Glock G 36 was, laid it on the counter and said, you are the lady who likes the big guns, and I said the big calibers. He was not a bit condecending and was very helpful. I left the store with my new Glock under my arm, a box of shells, and a 2010 calendar, from Jim's Sporrting Goods in Canton PA.

Canton is just a small "hick" town, but Jim had exactly what I was looking for in merchandise and customer service..

I Can't wait to get to the range now!! :supergrin:

You will like your G36. I've had one for a couple years now. It's fun to shoot. Good work. :wavey:

Squaw Man Wolfer
02-03-2010, 21:41
Ironically, I find some of the little blowback .380 autoloaders, like Walther PPK, Sig 230, or Makarovs to be hardest to shoot. The grips are so small and narrow that recoil is not spread over a larger skin surface, and the blowback action snaps back pretty nasty. And these are the guns that are often recommended for women!

janice6
02-03-2010, 21:47
My wife and daughters all found the 1911/.45 to be a very easy gun to shoot. The 1911 is also very heavy for them to shoot for any length of time. I was surprised because they all shot .357 in their gun class. I just wasn't their gun of choice.

They all have S&W Jframe .38's. Of course some have more than one gun of their own.

jaybirdjtt
02-04-2010, 16:17
I bought my wife a G26 for Christmas. First time at the range she did great. Then she tried my G30 (not sf). She loved it even more than the 26. There you go. I've seen women shoot everything. Your gender has no effect whatsoever on what caliber you'll be comfortable shooting! I've seen plenty of big, strong guys so afraid of the noise and recoil of a full-sized 9mm that it was almost funny.

packin_pistolera
02-06-2010, 19:36
Hi There,

This is my first post here on GT :-)

I just wanted to add that one of my pistols is a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail 1911 in .45 acp and it's just beautiful to shoot. My point being that a woman can and should shoot 45's and anyone who tells you differently just doesn't have a clue.

Anyway, glad to be here and I hope to post regularly, even though I don't own a Glock.

mistermills357
02-12-2010, 18:14
I gave an old girlfriend a .45 Automatic P-97 Ruger.She loved it and was adept at cycling the slide,albeit with difficulty.A plastic framed .45 seems to kick less than a steel model:at least to me it does.
I think that a woman should become as fast as lightening with one,given a lot of practice.I think that you have made a great choice.

mr00jimbo
02-13-2010, 15:59
Size and sex have nothing to do with recoil sensitivity. Sometimes I find certain 9 mill guns a bit jumpy, and others claim they're nothing. First pistol I ever shot was a Glock 17 and reading online about it being a *****cat, I was quite surprised!
I have come a long way since then, but still a ways to go.

Anyway, if you're comfortable with the .45, by all means! :)
Also check out the XD as I find it recoils LESS than the Glock (I own the Glock still) but that's just my opinion, and not across the board.

MisterLady27
02-13-2010, 21:25
Howdy All,

1. Lady27's first pistol was a Kimber .45 - a definite sweet shooter.

2. As the name indicates, she shot a 27 in some matches for awhile, her hands are quite small, and the 27 was a bit snappy - sooooo-- for two years now she's in love with the G39 I bought for myself--- and I've not had it since. She shoots it in Maj Sub, GSSF. Even won some $$$ once. :cool:

3. It's your gun, you need to like it for your reasons. Not some other punk.

ML27

JK-linux
02-13-2010, 22:02
My wife loved my 1911 when she first decided she wanted a CCW. After deciding that the cocked-and-locked carry was impractical for her situation, she rented several pistols. She wanted to like the G36, but it just didn't feel very controllable to her. The G30 however, shot like a dream. We ended up getting two G30's, one for each of us. I think she actually enjoys shooting it for the sheer challenge of becoming a better shooter. I feel good knowing that she is protected by a real caliber (real meaning it begins with a 4 or ends with a magnum) and carrying a pistol she is comfortable enough with to actually carry.

fnfalman
02-15-2010, 22:34
The .45ACP round ain't all that "manly". With just a bit of instruction and some experience, I've gotten novice females to light'em up with my .44 Magnum revolvers.

I love the gunfighters that populate gun shops and gun shows. NOT!!!

vafish
02-16-2010, 14:24
Ironically, I find some of the little blowback .380 autoloaders, like Walther PPK, Sig 230, or Makarovs to be hardest to shoot. The grips are so small and narrow that recoil is not spread over a larger skin surface, and the blowback action snaps back pretty nasty. And these are the guns that are often recommended for women!

I think the most painful handgun I have ever fired was a Makarov with some sort of aftermarket grips and loaded with Corbon ammo.

It just down right hurt to shoot. And this is coming from a guy that has deer hunted with a .44 magnum handgun since 1983.

I also used to own and carry a Glock 36. I had several 12-13 year old boys shoot it with no problems at all. As long as it wasn't loaded with +P ammo recoil wasn't too bad at all. The +P stuff gave it a bit more snap.

Joebagadonuts
02-16-2010, 14:33
My wife shot my G30SF just fine, for her Birthday ,she got her own!!!
Did raise some eyebrows during the shooting portion of the CCW class!!!!:cool:

gsdrulz
02-16-2010, 16:47
My wife has claimed my Glock 21 OD and Black as "her guns". She is what most would call tiny. I really like the looks of the "grumpy" old men at the range when she out shoots most of them. Glad to hear that you finally got the gun you really wanted and did not listen to the na sayes.

lima
02-16-2010, 19:05
I shoot and carry 1911s chambered in .45. I'm a 5'3", 100 lbs female.

BobInTX
02-19-2010, 10:49

My wife's first gun was a Walther PPS 9mm, primarily for CCW. She really likes 45's though, so she wound up buying a Smith & Wesson 1911PD .45 auto. She loves the .45 . It is mostly for protection for around the house. Are you carrying the .45? How?

She had the same experience with guys at the gun shops too. We stopped at Bass Pro in San Antonio. You had to pull a number in order to get waited on. One guy finished with his customer and my wife and I were next. He went out of his way not to wait on her. When the next guy came available he was really nice and waited on her. She asked to see the gun and when he handed it to her and she gripped it and held it up to sight it he said "I'll bet you're a good shot, aren't you". I said "she really is". We bought the gun. The jerk missed out on a good sale. :wolf:

The guys at our local gun range/shop are really great, though. They were really patient with us and even showed us how to grip, stand, and shoot.

I don't know what it is about some guys thinking a woman can't shoot a bigger gun. More power to ya, I say.

ExxoticOne
02-25-2010, 18:50
I guess my question is what do you girls carry, and do you get any of the above mentioned treatment when you go shopping?

My "everyday" gun is a G36. I get stellar treatment from my gun guy because he knows if he pleases me I will continue to spend all of my money there...and bring him additional business.

sawgrass
02-27-2010, 07:22
I shoot and carry 1911s chambered in .45. I'm a 5'3", 100 lbs female.

1911's :hearts: My personal favorite!

flynlead
04-10-2010, 02:48
My wife shot every gun I own from 22 to 45's and she shot the .45 the best so I bought her a Kimber ultra carry with laser grips and she loves it. BTW she is maybe 100lbs soak n wet with bricks tied to her feet. A 45 is a low pressure round and IMO the best round out there. Don't let anyone talk you out of a 45. Shoot different guns and pick the one you are comfortable with.

ExxoticOne
04-10-2010, 06:18

I have a large variety to choose from...lately, I've been loving my CZ 75 Compact:

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-compact/

If you are talkin strictly .45s, then it's a G39.

I get treated exceptionally well when I go gun shopping. My gun guy makes sure I have enough space and privacy because some of the other patrons get on my nerves. He keeps of list of what I want to try and he brings me in after hours for some range time. 90% of my collection has been purchased through him. He makes good money and I get the personal service I want. If I get bored with something he puts in on consignment for me and doesn't take a cut because he knows I'll be buying a replacement.

Edited to add: To me, the gun-gun / female patron relationship is very similar to how we women deal with our hairdressers...we tell them what we want and they provide some input and make it happen so that the end results is always better than anticipated.

PATRICE
06-28-2010, 19:54

Lone_Wolfe
06-29-2010, 06:29
Hhmmm.... I just obtained a .45acp Colt Defender. [Pricey little dear--but my spouse tells me that the numbers on the box indicate it spent a little time in Colt's custom shop, before leaving for the distributor (i.e., apparently, I got a good deal).]

I had no problem with the purchase. On the other hand, a couple of years ago, I had a guy at gun show expressed reluctance about selling me a G-20 because "...that is a big gun." He had the best price on that model in the entire show, so I endured his concern long enough to complete the purchase, assuring him that I had shot 10mm before.

Now, I just have to get the Defender paid off, and then I can go after the Delta Elite I've been thinking about for the past year or so. [The current troubles dictated that the Defender take precedence over the Delta. Exigencies, exigencies...always exigences....]--Patrice :cool:

Somehow I'm picturing you 'enduring his concern' by asking him "Do you want my money or not?"

If I ever get back into buying guns I'm going to print out a picture I have of me firing a 460 Magnum with a 12" barrel that I used to own. That thing was so big it was hard to hold it out at arms length. I figure that would get the point across.

sawgrass
06-29-2010, 08:00
Patrice, Congratulations!! I have a Colt Defender and I absolutely love it.
My favorite 1911 is a govt. model Novak custom Colt.
45 ACP is my favorite caliber to shoot with .357 a close second.
I haven't shot 10mm before. Your posts make me want to.

Wolfe, I would like to see a picture of that leather gun belt.
I remember which thread but don't have any idea as to the
page #.

GreyEclipse
06-29-2010, 17:01
The .45ACP round ain't all that "manly". With just a bit of instruction and some experience, I've gotten novice females to light'em up with my .44 Magnum revolvers.

I love the gunfighters that populate gun shops and gun shows. NOT!!!

:upeyes:

More of your revolver>semi crap...
Good thing people shoot what they like and not what you like. :whistling:

purpledragonlily
07-01-2010, 21:44

I actually own and carry both of those Glocks. I have had the 36 for a couple years and in fact was the first gun I bought after I got my concealed carry permit (I had a Glock 19 and a PPK already). I love that gun and carry it often. I bought the 30 more recently intending it more for a house gun, but after shooting it and seeing it is really only a tad bigger than the 19, ordered a holster and have carried it as well. It's kind of on the shelf for the summer but the 36 is one of my main go to carry guns for the summer.

They are both great guns and while I did not experience the same things you did it is mostly due to the fact I bought them in a shop that also has a range where they know me well. In fact when I bought a .357 mag recently (my 1st revolver) instead of eye rolling I got "honey- you shoot that big 'ol .45 you can shoot anything you want to." :)

Lone_Wolfe
07-02-2010, 05:14
They are both great guns and while I did not experience the same things you did it is mostly due to the fact I bought them in a shop that also has a range where they know me well. In fact when I bought a .357 mag recently (my 1st revolver) instead of eye rolling I got "honey- you shoot that big 'ol .45 you can shoot anything you want to." :)

I remember several years ago the range/gunshop I used to shoot at had a S&W 500 Magnum for sale one day, so I bought it. You should have seen the looks everyone was giving me when I carried that thing up to the range. I put all 5 rounds right between Osama bin Laden's eyes at 20 yards and after that no one so much as batted an eye no matter what I asked to look at or shoot. :supergrin:

BTW, I love your username.
<<< thinks Dragon Lillies are gorgeous.

PATRICE
07-03-2010, 16:47

sawgrass
07-03-2010, 17:42
Patrice when I practice with it, as most of my guns I shoot our reloads.

It doesn't like Winchester White Box, but it does ok with Sellier and
Bellot or Blazer brass. I don't shoot any lead through it.

I shoot several magazines of carry ammo just to verify function.

It really chokes on Winchester white box and lead.

PATRICE
07-03-2010, 21:31

Lone_Wolfe
07-04-2010, 06:56
Patrice, Congratulations!! I have a Colt Defender and I absolutely love it.
My favorite 1911 is a govt. model Novak custom Colt.
45 ACP is my favorite caliber to shoot with .357 a close second.
I haven't shot 10mm before. Your posts make me want to.

Wolfe, I would like to see a picture of that leather gun belt.
I remember which thread but don't have any idea as to the
page #.

I don't remember posting any pics except one where the belt was on my couch and a cat was sleeping inside it. Was that what you wanted?

sawgrass
07-04-2010, 08:57
Hhmmm....Well, phooey; I can get bulk packs of WWB really cheap at our local Wal-Mart. What kind of carry ammunition? My spouse is partial to 230 grain, but stated that 200 was a good weight as well. [Spouse's perspective is that any weight less than that kind of defeats the several reasons for having a .45.]

Nonetheless, tomorrow I'm going to go out & play with some Hornady Critical Defense (185 grain), along with some Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel (230 grain).

The re-loading is a thought; my spouse certainly indulges. But as long as I can find factory ammunition for a reasonable price, I'm inclined to save reloading components for a dark & stormy day.--Patrice

What we have read is that hollow point doesn't reliably expand out of
a three inch barrel. I use 230 grain ball. Maybe you will have better
luck with WWB than I did.

I don't remember posting any pics except one where the belt was on my couch and a cat was sleeping inside it. Was that what you wanted?

Maybe. I don't remember the cat.:embarassed: The belt was brown leather and is
beautiful. I think we joked about it either on the phone or a pm. It was
in Catuday. You said you used to wear it.

Lone_Wolfe
07-04-2010, 13:39
Maybe. I don't remember the cat.:embarassed: The belt was brown leather and is
beautiful. I think we joked about it either on the phone or a pm. It was
in Catuday. You said you used to wear it.

:headscratch: As far as I know that's the only holster pic I ever posted. I do have one that's tooled brown leather, but the only place I ever wore it was around Tombstone. (the Tombstone in AZ, that is) If I posted it in Caturday then it's still in there somewhere. My connection's too slow for me to look, though.

How could you forget the cat? :wow: :rofl:

Gregg702
07-05-2010, 14:19
If I ever met a lady who carried a .45, 10mm, or .44 magnum, I think I would instantly fall in love. Any male gun enthusiast who frowns upon a woman deciding on a larger caliber should be ashamed of themselves. Every gunowner should pick the weapon that works best for them, regardless of gender.

Lone_Wolfe
07-05-2010, 14:34
I used to carry a S&W 500. :rofl:

Gregg702
07-05-2010, 14:56
:wow:

sawgrass
07-05-2010, 14:58

Damn just damn.:devildance:

Lone_Wolfe
07-05-2010, 15:08
:wow:

I used to own 2 of them, plus a 460 mag.

Damn just damn.:devildance:

You saw pics of them, I'm sure.

Gregg702
07-05-2010, 15:13
I used to own 2 of them, plus a 460 mag.

You saw pics of them, I'm sure.

Sounds like it would be fun to go to the range or the gun store with you.

Lone_Wolfe
07-05-2010, 15:16
Not anymore, but it used to be. I had a collection.

Zonny
07-05-2010, 15:16
My daughter manages hers pretty well.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j62/PearlMarie/106_0664.jpg

ExxoticOne
07-05-2010, 17:28

SWEET! Zonny, you are a good mom!

Front Sight
07-05-2010, 19:01
I would like to suggest the G38 GAP. The heavier slide will reduce some muzzle flip.
I have no doubt that you would be impressed. The receiver is a little wider than the G36.
Try one before you buy.

sawgrass
07-05-2010, 20:36

Sweet. Is this Ms. A.?

PATRICE
07-05-2010, 20:46

janice6
07-05-2010, 20:56
My wife hasn't the arm strength to rack the slide on an semi auto.......and she likes a 1911...45. My other daughters also like the .45 1911. It is a smooth shooting gun.

Wife shoots a pocket .38 and a Tomcat. Don't let any one tell you what you can/can't do.

Zonny
07-05-2010, 20:59
Sweet. Is this Ms. A.?

It is. I have one of each gender :wavey:

sawgrass
07-05-2010, 21:31
:tequila:
Hhmmm....Well, that's certainly a different take on "size matters."--Patrice:therapy:

Patrice, did you shoot your Defender? How was it? I tried to pm you, but
you have them blocked.

It is. I have one of each gender :wavey:
I'm impressed. My best to her safety and health.

PATRICE
07-05-2010, 22:12

sawgrass
07-05-2010, 22:32
I just took the block off the pm function, just before I opened this post. Yes, I shot several magazines of Blazer Brass with a few Speer GD/Short-Barrel & Hornady Critical Defense mixed it. All fed/fired/ejected okay.--Patrice

Nice. How did it "feel"?
I need to get Wrencher over here to talk ammo with you.
Truth be told, she's the expert.

We went to the range yesterday and she outshot me with
one of my guns. She put a short trigger in my Kimber Eclipse.
The woman can flat out shoot.

I don't know how tall you are, or how big your hands are, but
we have short triggers in all of our 1911's. It makes a huge
difference.

Lone_Wolfe
07-06-2010, 03:58

Note to self; Never piss off Ms. A :scared: :wavey:

Hhmmm....Well, that's certainly a different take on "size matters."--Patrice:therapy:

:supergrin:

WyldcatGirl
07-08-2010, 06:46
I don't own a .45 (though I'd really love a G36 just don't have the $$ for one yet) but my brother has a G30 that I've used @ the range and I love it, have no problem at all handling it. Since I know I can't afford one right now I haven't been out looking at the 36's because that would just be torture...but I hope I don't encounter that attitude when I do go because the redheaded temper will probably come out in me and I'll hurt someones feelings. I hate being patronized and getting the but you're a girl crap.

Lone_Wolfe
07-08-2010, 07:50
I don't own a .45 (though I'd really love a G36 just don't have the $$ for one yet) but my brother has a G30 that I've used @ the range and I love it, have no problem at all handling it. Since I know I can't afford one right now I haven't been out looking at the 36's because that would just be torture...but I hope I don't encounter that attitude when I do go because the redheaded temper will probably come out in me and I'll hurt someones feelings. I hate being patronized and getting the but you're a girl crap.

Too bad we didn't get the chance to go shooting together.... :supergrin:

It would have been fun..... :whistling:

WyldcatGirl
07-08-2010, 21:13
Too bad we didn't get the chance to go shooting together.... :supergrin:

It would have been fun..... :whistling:

Maybe one day when you get a bit closer to Alabama than you are currently?? :)

sawgrass
07-09-2010, 08:01
Maybe one day when you get a bit closer to Alabama than you are currently?? :)

If you are in Alabama, you could look up Silent_Runner.
I would love to go shooting with her.
I hear she has quite the collection!!:whistling::rofl:

Silent_Runner
07-09-2010, 09:23

The jokes write themselves.:whistling:

Now where did you hear a thing like that?:tongueout:

Lone_Wolfe
07-09-2010, 12:01
The jokes write themselves.:whistling:

Like I said before, so do the infractions.... :whistling: :supergrin:

Now where did you hear a thing like that?:tongueout:

That's a good question...... :whistling:

sawgrass
07-09-2010, 14:04
That's a good question...... :whistling:

I wonder...:rofl:
If a picture is worth a thousand words, let's see how many thousand
are we up to??:tongueout:

WyldcatGirl
07-09-2010, 14:20

I'm always up to go shooting with anyone :)

Col yogurt
07-09-2010, 14:42
Have you purchased this 36? How has it worked for you? I think if you get some instruction and hold it properly, it is just fine for what it is designed to do. I am interested in one and am concerned with failure to feed.

Silent_Runner
07-11-2010, 10:33
I wonder...:rofl:
If a picture is worth a thousand words, let's see how many thousand
are we up to??:tongueout:
Pictures? What pictures?:whistling:

sawgrass
07-11-2010, 11:04
Pictures? What pictures?:whistling:

Yes, it really suck we both lost our pictures and our guns on that
last fishing trip...

Silent_Runner