Orlando area Gunsmith needed for Night Sight install [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Orlando area Gunsmith needed for Night Sight install

Tall Pine
12-08-2009, 16:43
I need a good quality 'Smith to install the Ameriglos Classics that Santa is sending UPS. I have absolutely no clue and don't want to roll the dice. Know of any good ones in my area?

A relative of mine once unkowingly picked a bad shop that didnt install the rear sight on-center. For good measure they also gave him an idiot scratch on the side of the slide, we think from ham handing the sight tool. He was ticked to say the least. Definatley need to avoid the chokers.

TIA

Dillusion
12-09-2009, 13:58
East Orange by UCF, Shoot Straight in Apopka

njl
12-09-2009, 22:06
What model gun are they going on...and where do you shoot?

I have the tools...and installing sights on a Glock (unless they fit poorly / require fitting) is something a well trained monkey can handle.

Tall Pine
12-10-2009, 08:01
Thanks Dillusion. I thought of them but didnt know if their 'Smith was a good one.

What model gun are they going on...and where do you shoot?

I have the tools...and installing sights on a Glock (unless they fit poorly / require fitting) is something a well trained monkey can handle.

njl: They are going on my new G19. I live in Oviedo and usually shoot on private land about 45 mins south near Holopaw. It sounds like its easy to install with a tool, but Ive always been curious how people get the rear sights centered on the slide. Just eyeball it or find some way to measure each side (with calipers, etc)?

njl
12-10-2009, 08:10
I suppose you could measure if you really wanted to...but I've generally just eyeballed it. Its best if you can shoot it after installing them and just use the sight pusher to adjust the rear sight if necessary. I've shot (other people's) Glocks that shoot straight with the rear sight centered...but mine have generally needed it to be drifted a little right of center.

Tall Pine
12-10-2009, 08:34
I suppose you could measure if you really wanted to...but I've generally just eyeballed it. Its best if you can shoot it after installing them and just use the sight pusher to adjust the rear sight if necessary. I've shot (other people's) Glocks that shoot straight with the rear sight centered...but mine have generally needed it to be drifted a little right of center.

That makes sense. Where are you at in N. Central FL?

greatwun
12-10-2009, 10:58
I took my to Rieg's gun shop. Really great guys and extra nice if you own a Glock.

njl
12-10-2009, 11:19
That makes sense. Where are you at in N. Central FL?

Extreme NW corner of what you might still call Orlando. Sounds like our paths don't likely cross often.

vietthuqstyle
12-11-2009, 00:32
I took my to Rieg's gun shop. Really great guys and extra nice if you own a Glock.

how much did rieg's gun shop charge you to install your sights?

FlaChef
12-11-2009, 16:03
+1 for Dick at East Orange Shooting Sports.
and i have known someone who had to take a 1911 to Dick after the Apopka Shoot Straight butchered a few mods. FWIW Dick is also the match director for the local CFL IDPA club as well and most of us use him for both our competition and carry guns.
Only down side is his wait time can be several weeks even on small jobs.

Bosenberg
12-11-2009, 18:47
East Orange

greatwun
12-15-2009, 16:59
how much did rieg's gun shop charge you to install your sights?

Sorry it took so long to reply. It was $20 for the installation. Two other shops wanted $30 and to leave my gun there overnight. The glock armorers at Reigs did it in 15 minutes.

Tall Pine
12-15-2009, 18:25
Well, I took some of the referral advise above and got them installed at a local shop. After 10 minutes I received this as a result. When the 'smith handed it over he didnt mention the marks, only that "those were the tightest sights I think I ever put on a Glock". I did not really inspect the work until I got home. Needless to say I wasnt very happy. I can only conclude the man did not have the proper tool or did not take the proper time needed to keep the gouges and scratches to a minimum.

Heres the worst side, the right side. A nice gouge on the bottom and a nice scratch through the Ameriglo finish just above the Trijicon lettering:

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1476/5983496/18179335/379646479.jpg

Heres the left side. No gouges but another nice scratch through the Ameriglo finish on the top edge of the sight:

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1476/5983496/18179335/379646483.jpg

There is no scratch or gouge on the slide, thank goodness. But I worry now about rust. The pics dont show it but its bare shinning metal under those scratches.

What do you all think I should do? Aside from a refund or something I really dont know what is reasonable to expect. I doubt they would, or I would want them to put on another rear sight. What should I do?

njl
12-15-2009, 20:30
Yikes. I don't see how a proper sight pusher would take a chunk out of the rear sight as it looks like happened on the bottom. Sometimes the sights and dovetail just aren't a good fit, but rather than resorting to excessive force, it makes sense to stop, back it out, and do some filing on the rear sight.

CitizenOfDreams
12-15-2009, 20:44
Ouch. Tell the smith to use a smaller sledgehammer next time.

P.S. Could you PM me the name of the shop (if you don't want to disclose it in public)?

vietthuqstyle
12-15-2009, 20:53
Well, I took some of the referral advise above and got them installed at a local shop. After 10 minutes and a $38 install fee I received this as a result. When the 'smith handed it over he didnt mention the marks, only that "those were the tightest sights I think I ever put on a Glock". I did not really inspect the work until I got home. Needless to say I wasnt very happy. I can only conclude the man did not have the proper tool or did not take the proper time needed to keep the gouges and scratches to a minimum.

Heres the worst side, the right side. A nice gouge on the bottom and a nice scratch through the Ameriglo finish just above the Trijicon lettering:

Heres the left side. No gouges but another nice scratch through the Ameriglo finish on the top edge of the sight:

There is no scratch or gouge on the slide, thank goodness. But I worry now about rust. The pics dont show it but its bare shinning metal under those scratches.

What do you all think I should do? Aside from a refund or something I really dont know what is reasonable to expect. I doubt they would, or I would want them to put on another rear sight. What should I do?

yea...what shop did that??? so i know to stay away from it and tell everyone to the do same as well...please help the community!

Tall Pine
12-16-2009, 11:30
Sorry but I dont want to say which shop yet. If he doesnt make it right I will let you know for sure.

I went in today and the guy was very humble and apologized and is fixing it for me. He's buying a new part, removing and replacing. I know I am going out on a limb letting him handle it again but I truely do not believe he is a hack. He seems intelligent and knowldegable and came highly recommended. I think he had a one time lapse in judgement. I'm going with my gut on this one and I think it will work out. I'll let you all know either way how it turns out.

BTW as far as how it happened.....he said the sights were oversized, which Rick at Ameriglo admits they are tighter than most. He said he started with the pusher, encounter resistence, pulled it out, sanded off a thousand of an inch off the bottom of the sight (which is about the normal amount per the 'smith and Rick at Ameriglo) and tried again. Got it in a good ways but then got stuck again. Pusher kept slipping. Instead of trying to remove a stuck sight he resorted to the drift.

Let me say that Rick at Ameriglo is awesome. He is replacing the rear sight at a bargain price, which the 'smith is paying for up front. Its already on its way. I am receiveing the same rear sight but the model that is not quite as oversized and has a set screw. Rick recommended this as it will go on easier and the set screw makes sure its snug. It is part# GL-113U instead of the "tighter fitting" GL-113.

Stay tuned.....

greatwun
12-16-2009, 19:04
Well, I took some of the referral advise above and got them installed at a local shop. After 10 minutes I received this as a result. When the 'smith handed it over he didnt mention the marks, only that "those were the tightest sights I think I ever put on a Glock". I did not really inspect the work until I got home. Needless to say I wasnt very happy. I can only conclude the man did not have the proper tool or did not take the proper time needed to keep the gouges and scratches to a minimum.

Sorry to hear about that. I hope it wasn't the place I recommended because they do some good work there. Was the gunsmith a Glock armorer?

Tall Pine
12-16-2009, 20:50
Sorry to hear about that. I hope it wasn't the place I recommended because they do some good work there. Was the gunsmith a Glock armorer?

Good question. I'll have to ask when I finish this deal.

TSloper
12-20-2009, 15:00
How did you make out?

Tall Pine
12-20-2009, 20:25
How did you make out?

Waiting on the replacement to arrive. Will give a full update when its all over. Thanks.

HighwayStarPP
12-21-2009, 13:27
let us know which shop you went to also. :cool:

Tall Pine
12-28-2009, 12:14
Everything worked out to my full statisfaction. The gunsmith replaced the rear sight perfectly. At his cost, on my time. He is a good guy that I think just made a one-time hasty decision/mistake. For this reason I will not say what shop. Sorry if you don't undertsand.

If you are truely concerned about this type fiasco for your install job, talk directly to the prospective gunsmith. Explain my experiences. Have him confirm he has the proper tools and get his promise that he will be careful not to repeat what happened to me, and to call you if anything starts to go awry. That's about all I can offer.

Thanks to all that helped me out on this. Happy New Year!

greatwun
01-03-2010, 09:13
good to hear it all worked out well