M&P340 recoil? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : M&P340 recoil?

Small Tony
12-09-2009, 19:52
Anyone get to shoot this revolver? I'm looking to get one. Seeing that it is very light I have heard using the .357mag had terrible recoil for follow up shots. I know it is not a range gun but for the 5 rounds as BUG what say you?

And how is the .38 special being shot with this gun vs. a 642?

I know the answer is to get out and shoot one but just would like to know what to expect. I like that both ammo can be used at such a light weight. Thanks.

bbauman
12-13-2009, 16:45
Assuming a M&P 360 is about the same, .38's are no problem. .38 +P you know you shot something, .357magnums vary.

158 grain full power factory and reloads: OW! Dang! wow, hey why is my thumb bleeding?
125 grain full power @$$@#$@#$ what the @#@#$ was that! (mid arm to fingertips tingle to numb for the next 20 minutes)
110 grain .357 magnum rounds will damage the gun

125 grain known lesser recoil rounds are the sweet spot for me. Recoil is stout but not harsh, follow up shots are not difficult. Maybe it is overkill but a) I paid for a .357mag therefore want to carry .357mag. b) if I'm going to put .38+P rounds in the gun then why not just carry a 9mm with more energy and rounds?

Currently carrying Remington 125grn Golden Saber. If I ever find Federal reduced recoil at a decent price I may try it.

$0.02

Ak.Hiker
12-16-2009, 23:23
Assuming a M&P 360 is about the same, .38's are no problem. .38 +P you know you shot something, .357magnums vary.

158 grain full power factory and reloads: OW! Dang! wow, hey why is my thumb bleeding?
125 grain full power @$$@#$@#$ what the @#@#$ was that! (mid arm to fingertips tingle to numb for the next 20 minutes)
110 grain .357 magnum rounds will damage the gun

125 grain known lesser recoil rounds are the sweet spot for me. Recoil is stout but not harsh, follow up shots are not difficult. Maybe it is overkill but a) I paid for a .357mag therefore want to carry .357mag. b) if I'm going to put .38+P rounds in the gun then why not just carry a 9mm with more energy and rounds?

Currently carrying Remington 125grn Golden Saber. If I ever find Federal reduced recoil at a decent price I may try it.

$0.02

Good information. Nothing like info from someone that has tested the gun out. From the sound of things the 125 grain GS are about as hot as one would want to go with such a light weight package. Any problems with bullet pull?

bbauman
12-17-2009, 06:12
Any problems with bullet pull?

Nope, no problems seen in function and eyeballing I have seen no issues. The caliper hasn't been used to check though.

fastbolt
12-17-2009, 15:17
Although my M&P 340 is chambered in .357 Magnum, I generally carry and do most of my training/practice with +P loads. To put it simply, I get better recoil recovery and controllability using the +P loads. That's important to me since I carry it for a retirement CCW weapon.

Shooting 50 or more Magnum loads during a range session can be hard on the hand. Ever heard of Magnum Thumb? (Where the heavy recoil effects cause your thumb to quiver and tremble the rest of the day?) The trigger guard slamming upwards into the bottom of your index finger isn't all that pleasant, either, although shooting 100-150 +P loads during a range session can result in that, as well.

When I first checked a few different loads of Magnum ammunition in my M&P 340, I found at least a couple of loads which exhibited bullet pull when I checked the ammo according to the instruction manual's recommendation. I didn't need a caliper to see the bullet movement, either. I kept a couple of brands of the Magnum loads which didn't exhibit it ... in my M&P 340, in my hands ... in case I later wanted to carry Magnum loads and not just use them occasionally for some practice and some qualification runs.

I'll check some random rounds from any box of Magnum loads I decide to carry, though, to make sure the rounds from that production lot don't exhibit bullet pull in my gun when I'm shooting it. I had a box of Remington Golden Sabre 125gr Magnum which exhibited bullet pull in my gun, for example.

Of course, I like to do the same even with .38 Spl loads. Predictable is preventable, as the old risk management saying goes ...

My M&P 340 runs within an ounce of my 642 because I replaced the Bantam grips with the standard rubber boot grips, which weigh about an ounce more.

Sbh87
01-13-2010, 16:19
The M&P 340 hurts bad with .357. Follow up shots would be difficult at best.