Flashlight for Christmas? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight for Christmas?

Yellowfin
12-09-2009, 20:56
I'm shopping for my wife's Christmas present and something that came to my mind immediately is a top rate flashlight like a Surefire or Fenix. Why? Good question. First, her new job has her driving a lot and with the daylight hours getting shorter and shorter these days she's going to see some darkness more and more so it's going to be part of her daily routine. Second she likes shiny objects like watches, nice pens, etc., stuff that goes in her purse, so a premium flashlight is a great accessory. Third, she's a tough and practical lady who likes to feel capable and it's a great tool to have. Fourth, she seems to always want to have a flashlight on hand for EVERYTHING, from finding fallen keys or change in the gap between the washing machine and the wall or between the car seat and the center console, looking at bugs to determine if they're harmful, to examining anything tiny up close even the hairs on the top of my head. Dark night conditions often make her jittery--that's one of the first things she tells me-- so naturally light seems to be her friend. Bad weather on the radar? Guess what's first on the list: find the flashlights. It seems like illumination is a very comforting thing.

So do you like flashlights? Carry one with you regularly? If so, what kind do you have, if you notice? Would having a better one, functionally and/or looks wise, be something you'd think to be worthwhile? Would a nice one impress you?

This won't be the only present I get her, not by any means, but I'm thinking this might be a good one. I have other sure winners in the bag already like Bath and Body Works lotion and fuzzy PJ's. What are your thoughts?

sawgrass
12-09-2009, 21:38
Yellowfin, You Rock!!
Flashlights are great gifts. They are like guns. You can't have too many.
Where will she keep it? What will she use it for? My current favorite is one that is small and ona charger. It is mounted by the door that I let the dog in and out of.I have a big one in my vehicle. I have a little one in my range bag.I have a flexible one for checking bores. I carry two at work most days.I look at lumens, bulb type, waterproof, etc...

You know her needs, and remember, you get what you pay for. If I told
my Mother, I've paid $200.00 for a flashlight, she would die.

I buy most of mine from a HVAC wholesaler, but Cabellas and other
sporting goods stores have good selections.

Lone_Wolfe
12-10-2009, 00:57
I use this one Coast 7438 (http://www.coastportland.com/product.php?prodid=1037&prodnums=2521037243942245246258944927&mastCat=1&catid=7) daily and love it. It uses AAA batteries and is extremely bright. IMHO it's a lot more flashlight for the $$$ than Surefire or Fenix, although those are nice too.

Here's a link where you can get it online (http://www.lightsandknives.com/productid/657/17/1.html) for $60.

Yellowfin
12-10-2009, 10:28
The intent is for daily carry, either in pocket or purse. To this end I found a Fenix P2D on clearance which has SUPER brightness and nice compact size while still being sufficiently big to deserve respect and be easily found. It took a LOT of research to find one that had the most power, right price, simplicity of use, and right size and looks. There are a LOT of good flashlights out there in all sizes and price ranges. Good grief those Surefires are expensive!!!!

fsqridah
12-18-2009, 08:06
I carry a Brite Strike Blue Dot - http://www.brite-strike.com/BlueDot.html

Excellent flashlights that have hi/lo/strobe, strike crowns front and rear, and are bombproof. The initial testing done on the original Blue Dots (I have a 1st gen) involved throwing it off a 3-story building, submerging it in ~15 feet of water, and running it over with a truck. Nothing broke.

Or, you could go with a Surefire 6P or Z2 and get a Malkoff M60 drop-in LED that cranks out 235+ lumens - http://www.malkoffdevices.com

If you don't do the Malkoff conversion, get an LED model. They put out 80 lumens for 8+ hours versus the 65 lumens for 45 minutes of an incandescent model.

Personally I'd go with a Brite Strike. They're plenty bright to light up a small parking lot, and when you don't need 190+ lumens, you give the button a 1/4 tap and it switches down to the low setting. Plus, the strike crowns can be used for defense, or to break glass. PM me if you need any more info.