Question for S&W 340/360 M&P, PD owners... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question for S&W 340/360 M&P, PD owners...

Ganesh
12-10-2009, 17:31
Just got back to the wheelie life again. Own a 340 M&P, Sheila(yes I name my carry pistols, heh:embarassed:)was born/test fired 11/13/2009. So she is still learnin to walk. Hasnt fallen over and gotten any bumps and bruises.

For you owners... How old is yers?, Hows she holdin up? Hows the DLC finish doin? Got any pics of yer well worn and used M&P or PD? My camera went to camera heaven on my last fishin trip. So no pics from me yet.:crying: I need to pick a new one up sometime.

She sure does fit well in my jeans tho. I cant belive I ever gave up on the little J-frames. Dont ever plan to do so again, I can promise ya that.:wavey:

OMEGA5
12-31-2009, 18:28
I got my 340PD in August, 2005. Here is the last pic I took
about 2 months ago. Carried this gun almost daily ever since I bought it
in a Galco or Aker pocket holster. Added LaserMax grips about 2 years
ago. Liked them so well I put a set of CT'son my wife's carry piece, a
S&W m38 Airweight Bodyguard.
My 340PD has very little wear on it is very accurate.
I shot a coon out of the top of a large oak at night with the laser last
fall. Sucker kept getting into the garage and chewing things up. Finally
caught him in the act and run him out and up the tree.
Anyway, I love my Glocks and carry my 36 daily but my 340PD in always
in my pocket, just in case,
Dano
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/omega5m14/SWm340PD.jpg

Coach22
01-01-2010, 08:30
My 340 PD has been in my pocket daily since 2004.
At first in an Uncle Mike's, then a Mika round cut.
It's loaded with Buffalo Bore 125 grain 38 +P's.
The PD replaced the 442, which replaced the 640(38), which replaced the 49. I said replaced.
I still have all my J's...and always will.

joeshmow
01-03-2010, 11:55
I've had the 340PD since shortly after it was introduced, whenever that was. Holding up fine, not that I shoot it much. It's no fun to shoot, as everyone knows. Cosmetic damage around the nozzle, that's all.

I tried it out with various 357's at first, and now I carry 38+P in it. They're bad enough.

Oh yes, I removed the stupid S&W lock so now there's a hole on the side, filled up with epoxy. I'd like to know if there is a neater way to cover the hole, only because a lawyer might seize upon that and say that the gun was altered or something. Too bad the lasermax gadget seems to only cover the wrong side of the gun.

I've been carrying the Ruger LCP lately as it fits in my jeans pocket much more comfortably and has two more shots besides, plus fast reloading capability, and it's the only tiny auto I've ever had that seems to be reliable, but still I'd trust the S&W much more in an emergency situation.

Omega 5 - I like the looks of your Lasermax. The grips actually look more compact than the originals which i do not like (actually I have the grips removed right now and the handle wrapped in tape - a method that I've used for years on various J-frames. It makes the gun more compact for jeans pocket carry, but even less pleasant to shoot, not to mention potentially attracting unwanted attention from possible defense attorneys etc.). I've never used a laser. How long does the battery last? Are the batteries readily available, like in the Walmart? Does it increase the width of the gun?

OMEGA5
01-03-2010, 12:35
"Omega 5 - I like the looks of your Lasermax. The grips actually look more compact than the originals which i do not like (actually I have the grips removed right now and the handle wrapped in tape - a method that I've used for years on various J-frames. It makes the gun more compact for jeans pocket carry, but even less pleasant to shoot, not to mention potentially attracting unwanted attention from possible defense attorneys etc.). I've never used a laser. How long does the battery last? Are the batteries readily available, like in the Walmart? Does it increase the width of the gun?"
Batteries ar CR357. Available at Walmart and RiteAide so
I'd say you can find them anywhere. Last 1 hour of constant on which
should not happen. I have CT's on my wife's S&W m38 Airweight Bodyguard.
I like them better. They are turned on by your grip on the button under
thr middle finger and can be instant or constant depending in your grip
pressure. Batteries last 2 hrs of constant on and are CR2032's found
just about anywhere. The Lasermax is button activated on either side of
the grip and are constant on only. The button is easy to turn on and
off and w/ a little practice, can be done during presentation easily but
It's still on constantly and you have to chnge your grip skughtly to
turn it off. Add the battery life is 1/2 that of the CT and you can see
why I prefer the CT's. The LaserMax grips are identical in size with
the exception that the LaserMax is thinner making you grip a little
stonger since you can wrap you fingers around the grip further.
Hope this helps.
Dano
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/omega5m14/SWm38Airweight.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/omega5m14/SWm340PD.jpg

joeshmow
01-03-2010, 13:10
Thanks, Dano.

The Lasermax handles look a bit shorter, more compact, to me. Am I wrong? Also, the Lasermax handle seems to attach with side screws as opposed to the original clip method. I like the old fashioned side screw method better.

Do these lasers light up when in use so as to make you yourself a target in the dark?

Oh, I should have said "possible DA's" rather than "possible defense attorneys".

OMEGA5
01-03-2010, 13:44
Thanks, Dano.

The Lasermax handles look a bit shorter, more compact, to me. Am I wrong? Also, the Lasermax handle seems to attach with side screws as opposed to the original clip method. I like the old fashioned side screw method better.

Do these lasers light up when in use so as to make you yourself a target in the dark?

Oh, I should have said "possible DA's" rather than "possible defense attorneys".
The LaserMax grips are identical in size with
the exception that the LaserMax is thinner making you grip a little
stonger since you can wrap you fingers around the grip further.
They attach by the side plate screws and the grips themselves by
the grip screws. They do light up and can make you a target that's
why I prefer the CT over the LaserMax. I've had my LaserMax for
a couple years now and have practiced with it so much that I can
turn them on and off faily easy, but it was awkward at first. See
no reason a DA would object a 340PD. Easily conceals in a pocket.
Especially in an Aker or Nemisis pocket holster. A simple handkerchief
hides the outline if folded and worn between the gun and the outside
of the pocket. One of the easiest pocket concealment high power
revolvers or pistols on the market.
Dano

joeshmow
01-03-2010, 14:45
"They do light up and can make you a target that's
why I prefer the CT over the LaserMax. "

So the Lasermax does light up? Scratch that then. And the CT does not light up at all, not even a dim red light?

" See no reason a DA would object a 340PD"

I meant that they could be looking for something to latch onto, like, "Look how this homicidal maniac removed vital safety features from his gun, namely the internal lock, and he even removed the handle and taped it up, like a common criminal - and then he wantonly shot down these poor honor students who were just trying to strike up an innocent conversation by asking him if he had any money in his pocket..."

OMEGA5
01-03-2010, 15:26
All lasers light up. In the fog or smoke, it's like a bright red line
in the air from your weapon to what ever it is you hit with the light.
Sorry for the confusion. I stopped typing and put some wood in the fireplace and
lost my train of thought when I wrote that.
As for modifying your weapon with a laser, the same arguement can be made
for any modification but my answer would be that my concern for the public
safety was the reason I modified my weapon with a laser to aid in
ensuring that I did NOT send a round anywhere but where I intended to.
Accidents can happen even with such a device but the odds of striking
something other than the bad guy are greatly diminished with the use of a
laser sight.

joeshmow
01-03-2010, 18:35
"All lasers light up."

OK, never mind then. I didn't really want a laser anyway. As they say, K.I.S.S.

I don't want a light pointing to me in the dark so that a burglar, or his partner hiding in the shadows, can shoot me.