Shipping a hunting rifle. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a hunting rifle.

snowman3
12-12-2009, 13:54
Anyone know the rules for shipping a hunting rifle via UPS, etc? My dad is coming to Phoenix and bringing his hunting rifle. We thought about having it shipped rather than carried as luggage.

The gunshop in Pennsylvania said he should do an FFL, but that sounds weird because it isn't being sold or changing owners. I'd rather avoid the $25-$40 FFL charge if possible. Can he just ship it UPS to my place and sign for it when delivered at my house or the hunting lodge? How do hunters ship their rifles to Alaska, etc?

alienglockster
12-12-2009, 17:54
Anyone know the rules for shipping a hunting rifle via UPS, etc? My dad is coming to Phoenix and bringing his hunting rifle. We thought about having it shipped rather than carried as luggage.

The gunshop in Pennsylvania said he should do an FFL, but that sounds weird because it isn't being sold or changing owners. I'd rather avoid the $25-$40 FFL charge if possible. Can he just ship it UPS to my place and sign for it when delivered at my house or the hunting lodge? How do hunters ship their rifles to Alaska, etc?

He can just ship it "to himself" at his final destination (your House). That is how hunters and whatnot send to Alaska.

OXCOPS
12-12-2009, 21:55
ATF regs say that the FFL isn't needed, but it has to be addressed to him, and only opened by him.

As for UPS, they require you to ship from a hub, or UPS office. The UPS store, or other contract places can't accept firearms of any kind.

snowman3
12-13-2009, 01:26
Thanks. I've gotten so many different answers I'm not sure what to believe. I called the UPS customer support # and they said it can only go to a licensed dealer or collector. That's what UPS told my dad as well. ATF says it is legal, but I can't find a shipping company that will do it. *BUT* I re-read the UPS website and the huge run-on sentence seems to say it is OK. (and heck, the UPS rep was reading from the website and probably didn't notice the long sentence).

I got the following from ATF
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-usps

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

UPS website:
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html?srch_pos=1&srch_phr=shipping+firearms

UPS accepts packages containing firearms, as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code, for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code, law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States) and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package

OXCOPS
12-13-2009, 12:09
Well, remember that just because it is legal, doesn't mean a company must still do it. They are free to implement policies against it.

The US Postal Service will ship long guns from non-FFLs. I have done it several times.