Women and revolvers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Women and revolvers

Teej
12-12-2009, 18:05
To the ladies, guys have your wives or female friends or female family members join in. Do not answer for them unless they actually answer to you.

Ladies, several questions concerning revolvers:

Do you own one? If so, why?

Do you own more than one revolver?

What make and model revolver do you own?

Do you also own a semi auto? If so, which do you prefer semi-auto or revolver and why?

Do you practice with any pistol?

If you practice, how often?

Do you clean your own gun? If not, do you know how?

Lastly, when is the last time you practiced with any pistol?

Teej
12-12-2009, 19:49
Lets go ladies, I know you are out there....

MrKandiyohi
12-12-2009, 20:03
Yep, they're out there, and in here. (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)

G36's Rule
12-12-2009, 20:11
I'll answer for my wife, who is sitting on the couch next to me.

Revolvers are horrible choices for women. They ALMOST universally do not have the hand strength to fire them properly double action.

It is much easier to teach the gross motor function of grasping a slide to cycle a round into a pistols chamber as opposed to firing a revolver accurately double action.

Not saying there aren't some ladies out there that can master a revolver, but it ain't the firearm for the non-expert.

Eyescream
12-12-2009, 20:38
I'll answer for my wife, who is sitting on the couch next to me.

Revolvers are horrible choices for women. They ALMOST universally do not have the hand strength to fire them properly double action.

It is much easier to teach the gross motor function of grasping a slide to cycle a round into a pistols chamber as opposed to firing a revolver accurately double action.

Not saying there aren't some ladies out there that can master a revolver, but it ain't the firearm for the non-expert.

I'll second this. My girlfriend loves shooting my revolvers, but she always thumbs the hammer back for every round. It's only since I swapped lighter springs in that she would attempt shooting it with a double-action pull. She has the strength, she just isn't comfortable with it. I have no idea why.

Teej
12-12-2009, 21:45
Sound like you are getting the wrong revolvers. Why haven't you tried having the trigger pull reduced to 5-6 lbs.

I agree racking the slide is easy for someone trained to do. But do you have any idea how many guns are purchased and put in a draw or closet and are rarely shot or cleaned & lubed. Some can sit put away for years not touched. In fact those types will NOT be the women reading this forum. But some of you know friends or family members [male and female] like this.

And revolvers are now being made specifically targeting the womens market. I doubt these have 12 lb pulls like pistols do.

You both make valid points. I personally think the G19 is a great pistol for both men and women for pleasure shooting and self defense purposes. In fact, I just bought my daughter a G17. But I also believe revolvers have a place and purpose. Just trying to get the womans perspective.

[this thread will be moved to the womans issues forum shortly]

Teej
12-12-2009, 21:52
I'll second this. My girlfriend loves shooting my revolvers, but she always thumbs the hammer back for every round. It's only since I swapped lighter springs in that she would attempt shooting it with a double-action pull. She has the strength, she just isn't comfortable with it. I have no idea why.

Sorry, I just reread yours and see you did adjust your trigger. I can't tell you why she would be uncomfortalbe still unless she still expects the heavy trigger pull. More shooting with it may help. But I do enjoy cocking my revolver a lot of the time too.

I was in a class where there was a 1st time women shooter. She had a tiny .25 auto. She was an older women and couldn't hit squat with it. One of the guys let her use his .45 and she was on the paper every shot. She still needed a lot of practice, but switching the gun to his .45 for some reason made a big difference. Could be the same with your gf. She may not know why, but her body and technique knows what feels more natural for her to shoot.

G36's Rule
12-12-2009, 22:00
Sound like you are getting the wrong revolvers. Why haven't you tried having the trigger pull reduced to 5-6 lbs.

You can not get a revolver double action trigger pull down to that resistance and still get reliable primer ignition.

Sounds like you don't deal with revolvers very much.

Chad Landry
12-12-2009, 22:04
Any woman who can't rack the slide on a pistol is too weak to be my children's mother.

Please. Give me a break.

My wife can put every round in the ten ring at 21' with any pistol I've handed her, and can make one ragged hole with a proper 1911.

Double action revolvers are good choices for those who will spend a lot of time behind the trigger. Single action automatics are much better for anyone who knows nothing more than "front sight, squeeze".

fwm
12-12-2009, 22:18
Yes, my wife originally had problems pulling the trigger on her airweight 642, but she can reload with no problems.

She hasn't but one pistol that she can rack the slide on though, so she learned how to use the revolver very well. She has a 32 pistol she carries as a last ditch BUG that she can rack and load, but doesn't have a lot of faith in.

She has a .40 on her night stand that she shoots very well, but I have to load it for her. She also has a Mark III, butr she has problems with it while it is still new. I expect she will be able to handle it OK in a couple more rounds of shooting.

Two weeks ago we went shooting. She shot her .38 and .40 and my .380, .40 and .357 340PD with magnum loads. She actually likes shooting the .357. Says it feels like a lot of power.

Chad Landry
12-12-2009, 22:58
Can these women, who can't rack a slide, open a car door?

Seems impossible to me.

My 8 year old daughter can rack the slide on my 1911.

MaximaDrvr
12-12-2009, 23:14
For my mom:

Yes, home protection

Family does, but one is mine.

S&W 686 in .357sig. Shoot it in .38 +p

Do you also own a semi auto? If so, which do you prefer semi-auto or revolver and why?
Family does, I don't.

The revolver, occassionally shooting glocks, sigs, 1911s and others.

Once a month or so....

No, my husband does. Yes.

three weeks ago.

M2 Carbine
12-12-2009, 23:16
Women and revolvers
To the ladies, guys have your wives or female friends or female family members join in. Do not answer for them unless they actually answer to you.

I'll have to answer for my recent four female students.
Three own 2 inch revolvers. The 4th is 16, so can't "own" a handgun but she shoots mine and her dads revolvers and semi autos.

No.

Two women have J Frame S&W. One has a stainless Rossi.

One lady also owns a G19 and likes both the revolver and semi auto. The girl likes to shoot revolvers and semi autos.

Yes they practice with their pistols and my handguns and rifles.
Two ladies haven't practiced in months. The third lady averages shooting only about once in six weeks. The girl averages about once a month.

The three ladies clean their own guns. The girl's father cleans their guns.

Two ladies haven't shot for many months. The third lady and the girl practiced a few weeks ago.

The girl is shooting tomorrow and has a female friend that I'll start teaching to shoot tomorrow. She has never shot or handled a gun before. I'll start her off with a Ruger 22/45 and if she is a normal female student she will get right proficient with the Ruger and 2-3 inch 38 S&W J Frame by the end of shooting tomorrow. And time permitting the new shooter will also shoot the S&W M&P 15-22.

RLB
12-13-2009, 07:20
I will step out and be different.
My wife loves her security six with a 2.5 inch barrel. She hates the semi automatics though. She shoots the Ruger better and is comfortable with it. Her father taught her to shoot with a wheel gun and that is what she prefers.
I clean and maintain it. It was purchased 20 years ago.
It is loaded with 38sp +P ammo.
That combination with her shooting it is plenty accurate for her.
I would rather she have a gun she is comfortable with than one she will not shoot.

Teej
12-13-2009, 14:08

Seems impossible to me.

Depends on the make and model. My daughter can easily rack my Glock slides. In fact she can rack the slide on four of my 5 semi autos. The 5th one, no way, she has tried. It fact, it takes more effort for me, but it still has a lot of breaking in to be done.

jp3975
12-13-2009, 14:17
I keep a revolver for my wife to use because theyre simple and she is not interested in guns.

If I leave her for the night i usually leave her with a glock under the coffee table and a Taurus judge by the bed.

My wife handles the judge fine. Before anyone says how crappy the judge is, I keep 2 .45 colts in and 3 .410 "000" 4 pellet buckshot that was made for the judge and does around 1200fps.

I like for it to be primarily for her use because if an auto jams i dont think she has the experiance to clear the jam if shes in a panic.

jp3975
12-13-2009, 14:20
Oh and for those saying girls cant handle revolvers...no offence but youre full of crap.

I handed my taurus .357mag to a petite newbie friend of mine who happened to be a girl and she hit the target every time, even when trying double action.

G33
12-13-2009, 14:45
Guns are obviously not for girls.
:supergrin:

Chad Landry
12-13-2009, 14:47

You are so right, G, honey.

:smoochie: :hugs: :otherokiestuff:

bocephus549
12-13-2009, 15:55

Girls no. Women Jess! :supergrin::wavey:

fwm
12-13-2009, 16:34

Seems impossible to me.

Small, compact, high powered guns, such as my 11.3 oz, 9 +1, .40 have VERY stiff recoil springs and can be very hard to cycle. Also, most women don't develop the hand strength men do, so while they are physically strong enough
otherwise, they just don't have the grip necessary. Think of pickle jars and why women keep men around.

(And lets face it, the recoil spring strength necessary for the 100 year old load design of the .45 is minimal compared to some of the newer high powered calibers)

Diesel_Bomber
12-13-2009, 16:52
These are my wife's answers to my verbally asked questions, typed word for word:

No, you(meaning me, Mr. DB) do.

No, just one.

(She asked me what it was, it's a S&W 686 w/ 6" bbl.)

I like semi autos better because of the greater capacity and faster reload.

Yes.

Twice a month or so.

Yes and yes. (Mrs. DB was surprised by this question and had some unkind things to say about the competence of women who couldn't or wouldn't clean their own gun, along with something about being a spoiled brat.)

Yesterday.

Just to brag a bit, my wife has steadier hands than me and is a better shot than me. She carries a PX4 Storm in 9mm everywhere she goes. She fires my 686 just fine even with full power .357, but doesn't like it because it "throws burning crap everywhere".

Chad Landry
12-13-2009, 16:56
Small, compact, high powered guns, such as my 11.3 oz, 9 +1, .40 have VERY stiff recoil springs and can be very hard to cycle. Also, most women don't develop the hand strength men do, so while they are physically strong enough
otherwise, they just don't have the grip necessary. Think of pickle jars and why women keep men around.

(And lets face it, the recoil spring strength necessary for the 100 year old load design of the .45 is minimal compared to some of the newer high powered calibers)

Pickle jars? Apples and oranges, anyone?

You're letting them fool you into believing they're frail. They're really good at that. That's why they're women, and they use that to boost your ego. They're really good at playing on that, too. :)

The only reason any woman can't rack the slide on a handgun is because no one taught her the proper technique. If she's strong enough to cook and clean, she's strong enough to rack any slide.

Eyescream
12-13-2009, 17:43

You're letting them fool you into believing they're frail. They're really good at that. That's why they're women, and they use that to boost your ego. They're really good at playing on that, too. :)

The only reason any woman can't rack the slide on a handgun is because no one taught her the proper technique. If she's strong enough to cook and clean, she's strong enough to rack any slide.

:goodpost:

Teej
12-14-2009, 05:42
Just came across this article.

"Handguns that sell to women." by Mass Ayoob

Women, historically, have proven partial to double-action revolvers, particularly when buying their first handgun. Revolvers are easy to open and close, and load and unload, without the task of wrestling with a slide and powerful spring.

<!-- google_ad_section_end (name=s1) --> <!-- google_ad_section_start (name=s2 weight=.3) --> Petite women, in particular, prefer smaller-frame revolvers since they have a shorter trigger reach. Women tend to be shorter than men not only in average height, but also in average finger length. Most handguns are built for the average adult male hand, which tends to be about one digit longer in the finger length than that of a petite female.
The most popular lightweight brands preferred by women are Smith & Wesson and Taurus. Hammerless versions, such as the S & W Centennial series and the Taurus CIA (Carry It Anywhere) models are especially popular among women. They like the sleek looks, the snag-free silhouette and the simplicity of their double-action-only mechanisms.

However, these small revolvers have nasty recoil. They are difficult to actually shoot well, particularly in a training setting, with full-power defense loads. However, in typical close-range encounters in the real world, most women can handle them well enough.

Still, the lady who is going to be shooting a lot with her carry gun may be better served with a quality autoloader in the 9mm to .45 ACP power range.
When combining the recoil, operation and small-hand factors, we find some semi-autos work better than others. Smith & Wesson set the pace some dozen years ago with their Model 3913, a compact 9mm auto with single-stack magazine and slim grips.

This double-action pistol was at various times the choice of such top female firearm authorities as Gila Hayes, Lyn Bates, and many of the other role models your customers may have read about. It also is now available as the Model 4040 with a Scandium frame in 40 S & W.

Sigarms countered with a pistol of almost identical dimensions, the P239, which they brilliantly marketed as a "personal-size" carry gun. It has no manual safety and a less-complicated decocking lever than the Smith. It is available in 9mm, .357 SIG and .40 S & W. The P239 has proven to be a very "female friendly" semi-auto and, like the S & W 3913, has a short reach to its double-action trigger.

The same can be said for the double-action-only Kahr pistols, available in .40 S & W and 9mm. They are available in a variety of compact to sub-compact variations, with solid steel or lightweight polymer frames. Most women prefer the Kahr in 9mm, because of its milder recoil.

If your woman customers are comfortable with a single-action semi-auto carried cocked and locked, the various 1911 pistols are likely to fit her hand well. The models that fit best are those with short (1911A1 style) trigger and single-stack magazines with proportionally slim frames.
Popular brands include Colt, Kimber and Springfield Armory. All are available with your customer's choice of full-size (5-inch barrel), compact (4- to 4 1/4-inch barrels), and sub-compact (3- to 3 1/2-inch barrels) formats. Most women can control the recoil of even the small models with the powerful but low-pressure .45 ACP cartridge. The most controllable of all the models seems to be the Springfield Armory Ultra Compact in 9mm.

The Glock pistol has proven as hugely popular among females as males. Many of the top women instructors have switched to them. These pistols are available in a wide variety of sizes and calibers, but the single most popular among the female shooters seems to be overwhelmingly the compact 9mm Glock 19.

The Springfield Armory XD pistol seems to share many of the female-friendly attributes of the Glock, including a striker-fired mechanism with a slide that is easy to operate. The XD has a shorter trigger reach than the Glock, which is a key selling point for women with smaller hands.

mike from st pe
12-14-2009, 17:18
My ex-wife hated semis because of their looks. She liked the look of revolvers better. She never fired a DA revolver that way. Always cocked it first. She wouldn't even try shooting my pistols. I had; Walthers, P5, P88 Even too big for me, Glock 17, 19, 26, and a Hi-Standard 107. Wouldn't touch them.:wow:

4wheel1
12-14-2009, 18:50
I am answering for my wife also who is sitting beside me.

Yes. I had her try 380's, 9mms, 38's etc. The one she picked was most comfortable for her.

We do, the one she carries is solely hers.

Ruger LCR. It felt right in her hand.

She loves to shoot the semi-autos we have, but prefers the revolver for being able to shoot thru her concealed purse or any other way without thinking of a saftey or anything else.

She practices with our 22, 38's, 357, 380, 9, & 40. She also practices with a 12 guage mossberg and a 12 guage fox double barrel.

Once to twice a month.

She would be happy too, but I am particular on how to clean them.

2 weeks ago.<!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig -->

Chad Landry
12-14-2009, 21:59
I am answering for my wife also who is sitting beside me.

Yes. I had her try 380's, 9mms, 38's etc. The one she picked was most comfortable for her.

We do, the one she carries is solely hers.

Ruger LCR. It felt right in her hand.

She loves to shoot the semi-autos we have, but prefers the revolver for being able to shoot thru her concealed purse or any other way without thinking of a saftey or anything else.

She practices with our 22, 38's, 357, 380, 9, & 40. She also practices with a 12 guage mossberg and a 12 guage fox double barrel.

Once to twice a month.

She would be happy too, but I am particular on how to clean them.

2 weeks ago.<!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig -->

I bet she can rack the slides.

4wheel1
12-15-2009, 04:13
I bet she can rack the slides.

Yes she can rack the slides, load the mags and usually shoot better groups than me.

Mrs.Cicero
12-15-2009, 17:03
I own one revolver, an S&W 686 in .357 w/6 inch barrel and a sweet trigger job, that i use to hunt javalina. I dislike revolvers because their grips suck. they are a horrible uncomfortable shape. i carry an HK USPc in 9mm daily (CCW) for self-defense. I love it. it fits better and i am faster and more accurate with it than anything else i've tried, with the possible exception of the S&W M&P full size in 9mm. We'll find out soon. I clean my own guns (except when I'm pregnant, then my husband does it). I missed last Fri night at the range so it has been 2 weeks since I have gone shooting. I haven't had a problem racking any slide since i was told to grab it with my fingers over the top and my thumb toward me and to push the gun forward with the grip hand. I can only put 35# of squeezing pressure on anything with my hands - they are not strong - good technique is all it takes. Pinching the back of the slide between the thumb and index finger is the usual screwup. I own a couple shotguns and some ARs and a Ruger 10-22. I practice about an hour a week with the semi-auto handgun, and i teach 2 day rifle marksmanship courses several times a year, and take 16-32 hours of tactical pistol courses, and try to fit in a few three gun shoots or IDPA shoots each year.

Mrs.Cicero

sawgrass
12-16-2009, 08:55
Mrs. C.
You should start a thread and tell us about your hunting experiences.
How many deer this year? What did you hunt with?

Do you smell a javelina before you see it? Do they taste like pork
or chicken?

Do you tan hides?

Do you turkey hunt? What do you use?

ETC.....

I held a SW 686 last Saturday. Nice pistol. I looked at a SW 19 too.
I like the 686 better.

Sawgrass

FrogWithAGlock
12-18-2009, 01:25

Do you own one? If so, why? Nope,I don't have a revolver.I have shot several, and they are ok, but I don't have any interest in owning one at this time.

Do you own more than one revolver? no

What make and model revolver do you own? none

Do you also own a semi auto? If so, which do you prefer semi-auto or revolver and why? Semi-auto.Faster reload, higher capacity, and racking the slide is a no-brainer.

Do you practice with any pistol? Yes. I havea 9mm Glock, Buck Mark (browning) .22

If you practice, how often? Usually[/B][/U] at least once per week. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Do you clean your own gun? If not, do you know how? I clean my own guns.

Lastly, when is the last time you practiced with any pistol? 2 weeks ago (been to the range for meetings, etc, but haven't had time to shoot recently)

fsqridah
12-18-2009, 08:40

+1

Women usually try to pull the slide back nice and easy, and that can be difficult for anyone. I've finally worked up the hand strength to chamber a round from the magazine by doing an extended press check, but grabbing the rear of the slide and yanking it back good and hard can be done by anyone, regardless of gender. I've heard women say, "I don't wanna break it," and I always reply with, "These guns can handle 500 ft/lbs of energy thousands of times. If you're strong enough to break it, you don't need a gun."

Burncycle
12-18-2009, 13:55
My mother actually can't rack the slide on my XD, Sig, or Makarov, even with the hand over slide technique.

If you're wondering, she can't open jars and drink bottles, or pick up heavy iron skillets for more than a second or two either. She's 60 and has had surgery on her arms as well as muscle deterioration.

She's still probably a better shot than I am... for at home use she has available a small pump action (which she can rack). I'm looking for a revolver for her though.

remington79
12-19-2009, 13:17
I was helping my wife get a pistol last year. I took her to different places to hold them and to try them out. She's like me, she can't stand the grip on a revolver. She has a hard time racking the slide on the my XD and H&K. However we did find a pistol that she can rack the slide on with no problem, a Glock. Now my wife is recoil sensitive so that again ruled out a revolver. She hated the recoil on my 45s and 40 but when she picked up and shot a G19 she fell in love. She likes the way it fits her hand, the recoil is no problem for her and she can rack the slide on it.

Bogieb
12-21-2009, 04:58
I don't have any revolvers. I've tried several different revolvers in classes I have taken, but hated them all.

I do have a couple of pistols (Glock 17, Sig 239 and use Hubbies XD(m)). I've also shot several others in classes and that belong to friends. Never found a pistol that I couldn't rack the slide on - doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just means I haven't found it.

I practice at least once per month (200+ rounds), have taken several classes and clean my own guns. Last time I practiced was 12/11.

Emoore
12-21-2009, 09:00
Yes, I inherited in from my grandfather.

Nope, just the one

S&W .38 spcl

Yeah, we have five or six. My daily carry is a Kahr PM40. I like this gun because it's easily concealable, big caliber, and I shoot it well. For pleasure shooting I like the revolver, though.

Yes, I practice with all of them. It takes a while.

I try to get down to Ladies' Day at the gun range once a month or so.

Sometimes I do, sometimes he does if we went shooting together. Yes I know how.

About a month ago. I'm due for another.