viridian glk quick review [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : viridian glk quick review

timbob
12-12-2009, 21:22
i grabbed one of these because i found one for well below retail price NIB, and after about 200 rounds on my g22 i'm far less than pleased with the results but not completely.

i tried it out in a couple of different setups. first i zeroed it in at 25 yds using a gun vice. took 3-5 shots, adjusted to the center of the group and it was in fact zeroed in for subsequent hand-held fire.

next, i used a combination of gun vice, live [mounted] fire and a bore sighter to run the beam parallel to the bullet path. measured the deviation at .3 yds (bore), 25 yds (bore & live) and 100 yds (bore & live) and managed to get it spot on.

the first thing i noticed when testing out both setups is that the device does not work in temperatures around and below freezing (32F -/+). well it does, but it's exceedingly faint and flickers in a manner resembling low power. essentially worthless at that point.

the next consistent problem i found was laser deviation after firing. both with the quick release securing bar and the tactical securing bar, the laser would deviate permanently to the right after a minimal number of rounds (30-50). the deviation was about 0.75-1in to the right when measured at 5 yds so i didn't even bother to measure at longer ranges. it could be my particular device, the device 'settling' into the gun's rail mount or the internal housing for the laser causing the problem. at any rate, it was consistent enough for me to not trust it.

it was pretty easy to conceal and carry just tucked into my belt (don't have a holster to fit the beast) but there is no way of telling if you triggered one of the on-switches while stashing it and wasting away 10 min of a 4+ hour battery life. i think it may be practical in a home sd scenario just by sighting it in with your irons within the boundaries of your living space, and stashing it on a night stand and that's about it.

bentbiker
12-12-2009, 23:43
I share all of your concerns and experiences except for the low temperature performance; I didn't realize temperatures go that low.:upeyes:

I love the battery life, the brightness, and functionality with the exception of staying sighted-in. I had the same idea as yourself about it perhaps needing to settle-in, but after 800 rounds, I'm still having to adjust the aiming periodically. I'm beginning to think it is the nature of the beast. I don't even think it is caused by the concussion of firing because it seems to change when I'm doing nothing but dry firing.

I guess I've been somewhat in denial until I read your review. I wonder whether the X5 would be any different (as in better).

bentbiker
12-16-2009, 00:42
After playing with my laser, I discovered that the POA for the laser changes relative to the POA of the iron sights depending on whether there is a cartridge chambered and whether the fully loaded magazine is in the gun. That says that the alignment of the slide relative to the frame is changing. Racking the slide and chambering a new cartridge causes a still different alignment -- it keeps changing.

I'm surprised that I haven't seen dissatisfaction voiced re other frame mounted lasers, since I would think they'd all suffer from this. I realize these are not intended for precise accuracy at long range, but I'm talking POA changes of 4-6" at 10 yds.

Anyway, I'm going to try the Match Grade Barrel Lock offered by TR Graham to see whether it will offer a more consistent alignment. He also suggested if that alone doesn't suffice, that a metal guide rod might be worth checking out because the plastic rods might cause an inconsistent torquing. Regardless of the finding, I'm pretty convinced that our problem is not within the Viridian, but rather the nature of the Glocks' loose alignment with the frame.

bretrivers
12-18-2009, 12:59
Hi Timbob
If your Viridian GLK is not keeping zero contact Viridian for a return.
I work on a consulting basis for Viridian and they are very interested in making sure that all of their customers are happy customers.
Start with an email to:

service@viridiangreenlaser.com (https://webmail12.pair.com/src/compose.php?send_to=service%40viridiangreenlaser.com)

Let me know if I can be of any help.
bret@viridiangreenlaser.com or bretrivers@yahoo.com
</pre>

</pre>

</pre>

ricklee4570
03-21-2010, 00:39
This is interesting. We all know that the frame flexes when firing. I wonder if all frame mounted lasers will have the same problem to some degree?

bentbiker
03-21-2010, 22:00
This is interesting. We all know that the frame flexes when firing. I wonder if all frame mounted lasers will have the same problem to some degree?
The frame flex is immaterial. The problem is that Glocks rails are purposely not nearly as tight as many of the other manufacturers. The MGBL seems to have helped with consistent alignment of slide to frame.

ricklee4570
03-22-2010, 03:53
The frame flex is immaterial. The problem is that Glocks rails are purposely not nearly as tight as many of the other manufacturers. The MGBL seems to have helped with consistent alignment of slide to frame.

Are you saying that the MGBL basically fixed the problem with the point of impact changes that were occuring with the Viridian Laser?

bentbiker
03-22-2010, 09:56
Are you saying that the MGBL basically fixed the problem with the point of impact changes that were occurring with the Viridian Laser?To the extent that I can visually judge alignment of fixed sights and the laser, I'd say the problem was eliminated. I would love to test it with a Ransom rest at greater distances, but for purposes of self-defense, I no longer see a problem.