Indiana Residence lets Hunt with 10mm [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Residence lets Hunt with 10mm

HK45Mark23
12-12-2009, 21:49
Letís organize to add the 10MM to the list of legal hunting cartridges in Indiana.

We influenced the adaptation of long guns chambered in pistol cartridges; surely we can get the 10mm added.

I am looking for those who are willing to make the calls with me.

I will get the contact information from Jim Tomes of the 2nd Amendment Patriots if I can get enough people together.

HK45Mark23
12-13-2009, 09:58
Anyone interested in helping?

RustyShackelford
01-29-2010, 12:40
Too late to try to make this happen? I don't even hunt (yet) but sure would enjoy the chance to do so.

HK45Mark23
01-29-2010, 15:18
No it is not too late. Check out

http://ingunowners.com/forums/the_great_outdoors/65518-let_us_influence_10mm_hunting_in_indiana.html

tlen
01-30-2010, 00:27
Boy, Indiana pistol [deer] regulations are rather bizarre. Basing regulations on 1.16" case length doesn't consider ballistics and even though .44 special, .45 colt and .45 long colt are allowed 10mm is prohibited. Go figure.
Any ideal why 1.16" was selected ? In Kansas, equally bizarre, 1.285" was selected apparently to set the bar for .357 magnum but .45 Long Colt slid by as well.... Many states just allow center fire with min .240" diameter and 4" barrels.

Indiana Camper
12-08-2010, 12:02
I'm way late to the game here but curious if you are still doing anything. I also just happen to be driving back home from purchasing my first 10mm.....a G29.

deeHKman
12-08-2010, 16:10
I called the DNR in SC and they could not let me know if a G20 is legal for deer season. I cannot find any info on handgun hunting in SC. Good Luck in ID.:wavey:

Kegs
12-09-2010, 08:17
Just go hunting with it anyway. If you know you can drop a deer on your land with it, it's unlikely you're going to have a problem and nobody is going to think less of you because some idiotic state government thought they would restrict you right to feed yourself by hunting.

As for :
The 10mm Auto performs better than a 357 Mag and as well as a 41 Mag. That is incorrect. I load my own 10mm hot, but the primer will fall out before your load reaches .41 mag specs using an equivalent length barrel, and that will be pressures far exceeding SAAMI specs.

10mm max SAAMI (37,5kpsi) will send a 200g. bullet around 1300 fps using the most efficient available powder out of a 5" bbl.

.41 S&W runs in the mid 1400s for listed 200 gr. book loads...

They are about as comparable as a .40 S&W and 10mm are (if you stay within SAAMI specs).

My suggestion is that IN adopt Colorado's handgun hunting law specifications which require 550 fpe/50y. and a minimum of .35 caliber diameter. That seems reasonable as a bare minimum for medium/large game to me.

HK45Mark23
01-20-2011, 16:25
Sense Jim Tomes of the 2nd Amendment Patriots has been elected to the Indiana State Senate I believe we may have a better chance at getting some popular cartridges included by DNR now. Some cartridges such as the .30-30, 10mm, 45-70 are currently outlawed in Indiana and yet are ballistic adequate for harvesting medium game.

I will see Jim on the 29th and ask him about this issue.

HK45Mark23
01-20-2011, 17:04
Just go hunting with it anyway. If you know you can drop a deer on your land with it, it's unlikely you're going to have a problem and nobody is going to think less of you because some idiotic state government thought they would restrict you right to feed yourself by hunting.

As for :
That is incorrect. I load my own 10mm hot, but the primer will fall out before your load reaches .41 mag specs using an equivalent length barrel, and that will be pressures far exceeding SAAMI specs.

10mm max SAAMI (37,5kpsi) will send a 200g. bullet around 1300 fps using the most efficient available powder out of a 5" bbl.

.41 S&W runs in the mid 1400s for listed 200 gr. book loads...

They are about as comparable as a .40 S&W and 10mm are (if you stay within SAAMI specs).

My suggestion is that IN adopt Colorado's handgun hunting law specifications which require 550 fpe/50y. and a minimum of .35 caliber diameter. That seems reasonable as a bare minimum for medium/large game to me.

Well you numbers actually validate that the 10mm does reach the .41 mag power.

You say that the 41 can push a 200 gr. projectile to 1400 fps creating 870 ft lb E. yet on Ammo Gide their public load data shows the 10mm maxing at 840 ft lb E. though with a 155 grain projectile but this was with a 5” barrel.
When incorporating a 200 gr slug only reaches 732 ft lb E. out of a 10mm and again with a 5” barrel.

However remember they make 6-16” after market barrels for the 10mm. I know that 1000 ME ratings are easily possible out of longer than stock barrels. This means that if you compare 41 and 10MM out of a 6” or 10” barrels you may find that they are ballisticly more closely related.

When looking on Ammo Guide you will find that the 41 Rem Mag exhibits nearly identical ballistics as the 10MM when shot from 5” barrels.

BobbyT
01-20-2011, 17:29
Instead of begging permission to have a single caliber added, how about pushing for a more objective standard like muzzle energy?

Or better yet, removing government's power to dictate what specific rounds you can hunt with and letting people make their own decisions?

HK45Mark23
01-20-2011, 19:12
We I agree that the licensing and regulation of firearms is a Bill of Attainder. So you are preaching to the choir on that note.

On the other hand I also agree that an energy rating would be better than a case length when regulating hunting ammunition.

Indiana wishes to limit the power and range of their allowable hunting cartridges as to prevent injury to people out of sight from the hunter. This is why .30-06 and .45-70 arenít allowed they are over the allowable case length.

On the other hand they also want to make sure that the cartridge is sufficient to perform the job hence the limitation on minimum case length.
This is the problem as to the use of a minimum energy requirement. It would allow cartridges that they feel are dangerous considering the population of Indianaís rural areas.

So that brings us back to making a general case length maximum and minimum and diameter minimum, then also including cartridges that donít fall in that general category but are obviously within the general tolerances of energy or wounding characteristics and limited range.

Many of the other states that use minimum energy ratings and allow high power rifles have large areas that are generally uninhabited and hunting with higher power cartridges are generally safe.