Pistol for finicky wife [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pistol for finicky wife

arclight610
12-13-2009, 17:14
Hi all,

I'm looking for a pistol for my wife, and having a little bit of difficulty locating a pistol that fits her hand. She is 5'4" with a small frame, and the only pistol that she said felt really nice was the grip of the Walther P22/PK380. Now this poses a problem because I'm not going to get her a carry pistol in .22 and I don't want a .380. I bought a Ruger LCP and I am trying to sell it because to this date, I've only been only to locate 1 box of 380 ammo and that was the box I bought with the gun. I didn't realize the scarcity of it. So my question is, is there any good pistol out there that has a grip similar to the Walther P22/PK380 that is chambered in something like 9mm?

Thanks for the help

seamaster
12-13-2009, 17:26
Then get her a finicky pistol!:supergrin:

Small 9mm pistols:
Glock 26
Walther PPS
Keltec PF9
Taurus has a new 9mm

Has she held a S&W 642?

drpdw
12-13-2009, 19:40
Arclight610,
Does your wife want a target pistol or a carry? I have a small hand myself and love my Sig P239 9mm for a target gun...sweet AND fits my hand well due to its thin grip. In addition, it is both a DA and a SA, and extremely accurate! Another subcompact 9mm that she may want to look at is the Smith and Wesson M & P...nice pistol and more affordable than the Sig 239.

I went with a Glock 26 for my personal carry weapon (it's smaller than the Sig) and have Crimson Trace laser grips on it. I do practice with it at the range on a regular basis as well, with the iron sites (and laser aperture covered, since it's an always-on grip on the G26) for target practice, AND with the laser on for one-handed point and shoot, close distance practice.

I shoot a Keltec PF9 every week; it's a back-up weapon for the LEO who shoots next to me at the range, and he insists that I get one when I need to carry something smaller than my Glock. Whereby, I can handle the Keltec fairly well, after having shot it a few times, it is NOT a target pistol, but would work quite well for an up close and personal weapon. It does take getting used to since it is a powerful yet small weapon and takes a strong grip (at least for me) to hang on to... and I don't find it very comfortable after the first magazine. It will, however, eventually be my next 9mm carry pistol, when it comes in to my range store.

You need to take your wife to a range where she can try all of the small 9mm weapons and find one that works for her...whether it be for target practice and/or for personal defense. Then, when she gets it, I would advise her to practice with it on a regular basis.

I wish her well!
drpdw

Hi all,

I'm looking for a pistol for my wife, and having a little bit of difficulty locating a pistol that fits her hand. She is 5'4" with a small frame, and the only pistol that she said felt really nice was the grip of the Walther P22/PK380. Now this poses a problem because I'm not going to get her a carry pistol in .22 and I don't want a .380. I bought a Ruger LCP and I am trying to sell it because to this date, I've only been only to locate 1 box of 380 ammo and that was the box I bought with the gun. I didn't realize the scarcity of it. So my question is, is there any good pistol out there that has a grip similar to the Walther P22/PK380 that is chambered in something like 9mm?

Thanks for the help

4wheel1
12-14-2009, 18:57
My wife loves to shoot, and honestly can usually outshoot me. She love to shoot our 38, 357, 22, 9, and 40. She picked out the Ruger LCR because it felt good to her, is light weight, easily to conceal in her cc purse, can fire thur it if necessary (no hammer). Hers is loaded with +P hollow points. She is very happy with what she carries, and everyone is comfortable with different guns or we would all be carrying 12 guage shotguns. lo

Baba Louie
12-14-2009, 21:02
Might not be appropriate but don't overlook Makarovs or CZ 82s in 9x18. CZs might be a bit big.

FloridaCCW
12-14-2009, 21:04
Kahr PM9

HollowPoint .45
12-17-2009, 13:22
Walther PPS just might fit the bill.

Looked at Kahrs yet?

Teddybear
12-17-2009, 13:52
I kinda got caught up in the "he man" mentality when it cane time to get my wife a home defense gun. I had a nice 40 cal picked out for her, you know, medium sized frame, lots of ammo space. Then it dawned on me. Its going to be her gun, not mine. To make a long story short, when the dust settled, she picked a S&W 19 2 1/2", round but. It fits her well, and she can control it, even with full house 357 mags, and most of all she enjoys shooting it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, take her along on your trips to the gun shops, shooting range and let HER pick what most comfortable for HER. After all it's going to be her gun.

If it were my wife, I'd rather she have a 22, than nothing at all.

Bilbo Bagins
12-17-2009, 14:16
If it were my wife, I'd rather she have a 22, than nothing at all.

+1 If she is just starting out I see nothing wrong with getting a .22 for a lot of practice then moving her up to a .380 or 9mm. Notice how hard it was to get .380 ammo, what happens if there is another ammo shortage? Do you have enough 9mm ammo on hand for her new gun?

Before you go out and buy her a small 9mm make sure she like shooting it. Go to a range and rent some guns that she likes. I would try the Walter PPS, P99 Compact, or a S&W MP compact since they are kind of close to the p22/pk380 in grip and size

bambikilr
12-17-2009, 15:01
my wife S & W 38 sp, loves it,

fsqridah
12-18-2009, 08:48
Walther PPS just might fit the bill.

Looked at Kahrs yet?

I love the Walther P22/380/99, but the PPS felt like a CuisineArt knife in my hand. There was nothing to grab onto. Same with the Kahrs.

The S&W M&Pc would have a grip very similar to the P22/380. It felt really small in my hand, but I'm used to the chunky Glock frame. Might also check out a G36, Sig P238, and XD-9sc.

edrobert
12-18-2009, 08:56
The Kahr MK9 has always been liked/acceptable by the women I have recommended it to. It's small without being bulky, yet the all stainless steel frame provides enough weight to make recoil a non issue.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/a996hawk/IMG_3587.jpg

tankermw
12-19-2009, 21:53
+1 If she is just starting out I see nothing wrong with getting a .22 for a lot of practice then moving her up to a .380 or 9mm. Notice how hard it was to get .380 ammo, what happens if there is another ammo shortage? Do you have enough 9mm ammo on hand for her new gun?

Before you go out and buy her a small 9mm make sure she like shooting it. Go to a range and rent some guns that she likes. I would try the Walter PPS, P99 Compact, or a S&W MP compact since they are kind of close to the p22/pk380 in grip and size

I agree completely. We did the weapons serch when my wife got her CC permit. She finally went with the 442 and loves it. She has become very proficient and confident.

Ulysses
12-20-2009, 13:10
Hi all,

Thanks for the help

In my opinion, and it is my and it might be wrong that you are better off letting someone pick their own gun...
She likely will not like it or use if if you pick it for her.

Frankly she will not likely carry it. Most women I have found whose husbands decide for them never end up carrying or shooting.

It carries over to other issues that can be indicative of other marital issues...