Ed Brown Executive Carry? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ed Brown Executive Carry?

ajgranda
12-20-2009, 18:21
Hi,

Anyone own or shot an EB Executive Carry? Opinions? I thought about a Les Baer, but I prefer the bobbed housing. Is it worth the price of admission? I'm thinking of putting one on layaway until I can come up with all the cash. This will be a CCW.
Thanks

The Pusherman
12-20-2009, 18:25
Hi,

Anyone own or shot an EB Executive Carry? Opinions? I thought about a Les Baer, but I prefer the bobbed housing. Is it worth the price of admission? I'm thinking of putting one on layaway until I can come up with all the cash. This will be a CCW.
Thanks

i love the ed browns (don't own one unfortunately) but i would not choose an all steel full or commander size 1911 for carry. too heavy for me. lot of nice commander size alloy frame 1911's out there.

Officer's Match
12-20-2009, 18:28
Hi,

Thanks

All Ed Brown's are built to the same spec, just different cosmetic styles. I personally think Ed Brown does the best job with commander sized 1911's of anybody, especially if you like bobtails. That said, I've seen Baer Commanche's that were bobbed and look very nice. Baer Commanche's use 5" government frame rail spec's and as such very often won't slingshot, so if that's a issue for your manual of arms then you may want to look elsewhere.

Quack
12-20-2009, 18:32
with the right holster & belt, the extra weight isn't that noticeable.
since it's winter now, i carry my Korba Carry most of the time. During the summer, my EMP gets carried more.

when i went through the search of a bob-tailed carry 1911, it led me to the Kobra Carry, Wilson Professional and the dealer also had a Les Baer Commanche. Of the guns that were there, the Kobra carry (IMO) was the best of them.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Guns/DSC_0660.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Guns/DSC_0665.jpg

Officer's Match
12-20-2009, 18:37
Man that's awesome Quack.

faawrenchbndr
12-20-2009, 18:50
Many people carry a G19 with little to no complaints.
My Ed Brown Kobra Carry is 10 ounces heavier than a G19.

With the right holster, I have an Andrews McDaniel II and soon to carry in a Brommeland Max-Con V.
For me, the Kobra weight is not an issue, even in Florida. My other CCW is a G30 in a MTAC.

Quack
12-20-2009, 18:56
Thanks OM.

and here's a John Harrison's take on Les Baer's Commander sized pistols

I am not assuming to speak for Baer, but would offer this guess. They are not taking the extra steps needed to give their shorter guns full Commander spec rearward travel because it would require several additional steps in machining and manufacture. It might require stocking extra Commander spec components. I am guessing that they choose to leave these steps off because they think their shorter guns run okay without the full rearward travel that Commanders have. Some of them do and clearly, some don't. As far as I know, they are the only manufacturer that takes this short cut. Why they do it is none of my business.

The Commander (even when built to Colt specs) has a little over .100" less rearward travel than a Government Model. When you start taking away rearward travel, you change the point where the empty case is brought into contact with the ejector as well as how much more travel beyond that point is available. When you change the Commander system by leaving the recoil spring seat at the Gov't Model location, you take away another .100" of rearward travel. I'm not an engineer, but I know that if you don't let the case meet the ejector about .450" or more before the slide stops, then the energy that is smacking the case rim and launching the empty out of the pistol is reduced and ejection consistency and reliability will suffer.

I have reached the conclusion that in most Commanders and Officers pistols, the ejector nose should be approx. .280" forward of the front mounting leg. That's what I've measured from a number of Colt Commanders. Not all aftermarket ejectors have a nose that long. When you use an ejector with this nose length, you may have difficulty ejecting live rounds and need extra clearance at the front wall of the ejection port.

To make a non-spec gun to Commander spec takes a boring bar operation to face back the seat for the recoil spring guide by .100" to make it Commander spec. The lower barrel feet also have to be reshaped to Commander spec by removing a bit of steel from the front face, so it doesn't bump into the back side of the spring guide. The "button" in the center rear of the spring guide must be shortened to Commander spec for the same reason. Finally, the ejector should be set up as mentioned earlier.

just some food for thought.

ajgranda
12-20-2009, 19:11
Thanks Quack, that is one of the reasons why I prefer a Commander sized EB over a LB. I've used the slingshot method my entire shooting career and don't want to change now.

Quack
12-20-2009, 19:16
where are you looking to buy one?
George at www.migunslingers.com seems like a good place to deal with (prices & service). he also has layaway, even on custom orders.

ajgranda
12-20-2009, 19:29
where are you looking to buy one?
George at www.migunslingers.com (http://www.migunslingers.com) seems like a good place to deal with (prices & service). he also has layaway, even on custom orders.

Yep, that's the place. Thanks

Quack
12-20-2009, 19:30
thinking of getting another one soon :)

willis68
12-20-2009, 20:12

Go for it, I have bought 10 guns from George, The Executive Carry is an awesome pistol and he will get you a great price, the price of admission is most definitely worth it :cool:

Ruggles
12-20-2009, 20:35

Yep yep that is the place. Great guy.

bac1023
12-20-2009, 20:44
Hi,

Thanks

The Executive Carry is identical to the Kobra Carry, but has traditional serrations and checkering instead of the snakeskin pattern.

I love my Kobra Carry.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/bac1023/000_1728.jpg

ajgranda
12-21-2009, 08:30
thinking of getting another one soon :)

I wish!! I have about 50% saved up now, so I would do a layaway. It's funny how I keep going up in price for my first 1911. I started thinking in the 1K-1200 range. Now look where I've ended up :whistling:. I figure I'm better off saving up and getting that "perfect" 1911 now. George does have an Executive Carry in stock which I really like, but it came without the test fired shell casing required by NY. I will probably have to order one that's NY compliant. Not that I'm in a rush, because it's going to take me a few months to come up with all that MULA :crying:. Thanks

ajgranda
12-21-2009, 08:31
The Executive Carry is identical to the Kobra Carry, but has traditional serrations and checkering instead of the snakeskin pattern.

I love my Kobra Carry.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/bac1023/000_1728.jpg
:wow: Again!

beretta-neo
12-21-2009, 08:40
I personally don't like the shortened rearstrap of the bobtail when I hold it. I looked at some bobbed Ed Browns, but went with a fullsize model instead.

But man, they sure do look sweet with that bobtail!

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/SF-6700-1.jpg

Rinspeed
12-21-2009, 08:45
George does have an Executive Carry in stock which I really like, but it came without the test fired shell casing required by NY. I will probably have to order one that's NY compliant.

Tell George to take it out and put a few rounds through it and sell it to you as a used pistol.

Quack
12-21-2009, 09:58
Tell George to take it out and put a few rounds through it and sell it to you as a used pistol.

:rofl:

ajgranda
12-21-2009, 13:14

Sounds good, and since it will be used, he can knock off a couple hundred dollars. :rofl:

ajgranda
12-21-2009, 13:18
I personally don't like the shortened rearstrap of the bobtail when I hold it. I looked at some bobbed Ed Browns, but went with a fullsize model instead.

But man, they sure do look sweet with that bobtail!

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/SF-6700-1.jpg

Very nice! Do you carry that Special Forces? My hands are on the medium side, so I don't have a problem with the bobtail.

beretta-neo
12-21-2009, 13:41
Very nice! Do you carry that Special Forces? My hands are on the medium side, so I don't have a problem with the bobtail.

I almost started carrying it, but I have not.

I do carry a Beretta 92FS concealed, however. That's about the same size really.

And, I am about to order another custom Springfield 1911 that i WILL use as a carry gun. It will be a 5" Govt sized model. I like the longer sight radius

G36_Me
12-22-2009, 07:23
Hi,

Thanks

I bought one in a total fevered pitch. I am 100% happy. My advice, at that money, take your time, buy the right one and don't rush. Look hard and long. Enjoy the moment. My hands are normal to smaller. The bobtail has no impact on my shooting and is nice for carry. Be sure the weight of the gun is what you expect. It's heavier than a Kimber piece of aluminum and a Glock. Will I ever get rid of it? No, it will be willed to one of the sons.

ajgranda
12-22-2009, 16:11
I bought one in a total fevered pitch. I am 100% happy. My advice, at that money, take your time, buy the right one and don't rush. Look hard and long. Enjoy the moment. My hands are normal to smaller. The bobtail has no impact on my shooting and is nice for carry. Be sure the weight of the gun is what you expect. It's heavier than a Kimber piece of aluminum and a Glock. Will I ever get rid of it? No, it will be willed to one of the sons.

Thanks, I've been researching 1911s for about two months now. I now know I want an EB Executive Carry, even if I have to wait until the Spring :crying:.

willis68
04-12-2010, 20:00
They are excellent Carry weapons!!!!

kvtcomdo
04-04-2012, 22:29
Thanks, I've been researching 1911s for about two months now. I now know I want an EB Executive Carry, even if I have to wait until the Spring :crying:.

My 1st custom 1911. Finest pistol I've ever owned. Love it, sweet to shoot, accurate and the fit and finish are 2nd to none. Never regret having purchased it. Truely a work of art with function.:cool:

rahrah12
04-05-2012, 07:41
I carry my KC everyday and have had no problems with it or its weight.

The wait times are ridiculously long right now but if you plan on putting it on layaway anyway it just gives you more time to save.

There are some good distributors that allow for a layaway with little down.

glock2740
04-08-2012, 22:46
Good Lord. This thread is 2 1/2 years old. :wow:
Good looking KC's guys. :cool: