What parts can I swap on my M&P15A to make it a tank? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What parts can I swap on my M&P15A to make it a tank?

TalkToTheGlock
12-20-2009, 20:59
Hey all,

I'm a new owner of a S&W M&P15 and I am new to the black rifle world. I was wondering what I could swap out internally to make this rifle as sturdy and reliable as possible. I hear people doing this and that to their rifles to make them as reliable as possible but I am in the dark.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks!

humanguerrilla
12-20-2009, 21:23
might add one
http://www.fulton-armory.com/D-Fender.htm
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9949/Product/AR_15_M16_D_FENDER_D_RING

msabo1023
12-20-2009, 22:20
i recently bought brand new a mp 15x and always read about the o ring prob/solution and almost ordered the extractor upgrade kit from BCM similar to this one. but the first time i shot the gun and brought it home to clean it i noticed mine already had this upgrade. just saying, but not sure your rifle is the same but it should be

MySiK26
12-21-2009, 20:51
Tagged for future reference

DougW
12-21-2009, 20:56
Clean it, oil it, and shoot it. If you want 100% reliability, but a 2nd one.Anything mechanical can fail no matter what you do to it. Have spare parts, keep it well lubricated, make sure your mags all function, and get lots of practice.

Cgrubb1
12-21-2009, 21:09
Switch out the bolt carrier group. Get a BCM full auto bolt. This will slow down the cycle a bit, and keep everything a little cooler, and help extend the life of everything a bit. Also add an H-2 buffer or the spikes tactical st2.

Fire_Medic
12-22-2009, 07:06
+1 on the BCM BCG. :wavey:

shotgunred
12-22-2009, 12:36
might add one
http://www.fulton-armory.com/D-Fender.htm
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9949/Product/AR_15_M16_D_FENDER_D_RING

That is a outrageous price. A tiny little o ring like that should be $1.00 or less.

QNman
12-22-2009, 14:08
Hey all,

I'm a new owner of a S&W M&P15 and I am new to the black rifle world. I was wondering what I could swap out internally to make this rifle as sturdy and reliable as possible. I hear people doing this and that to their rifles to make them as reliable as possible but I am in the dark.

Thanks!

Good ammo, good sights... done. Maybe some CLP?

internal
12-22-2009, 14:24
You need a BCM BCG and a H1 or h2 buffer.

furioso2112
12-22-2009, 23:54
I can't believe the places I am finding answers to little questions this week. I came in here intending to post "change the transmission and treads" in jest. I clicked on the link and figured out what to do with the BCM extractor upgrade kit o-rings I just installed on two of my bolts - that seemed the only logical place to put them, but the instructions even say "will probably not be needed," so I left them out...so far. Might throw them in and give it a whirl.

AK_Stick
12-23-2009, 00:28
Nothing, you're gun is fine the way it shipped to you.

Cgrubb1, changing the bolt out, will not make the rifle run any cooler.

betyourlife
12-23-2009, 11:40
ALL of them :supergrin:

m814
12-23-2009, 21:19
Nothing, you're gun is fine the way it shipped to you.

Cgrubb1, changing the bolt out, will not make the rifle run any cooler.

THIS, check the staking on it on the gas key and the castle nut on the stock. If they are both factory staked satisfactorily, shoot the P S out of it and clean lube well. Enjoy. The S&W is about as fine as they come for the money and generally the ones I have seen have been SAT in every way.

Drjones
01-02-2010, 00:56
Hey all,

Thanks!

IMO, you're going to waste your money and probably introduce problems by fixing something that isn't broken and working on a gun you aren't familiar with.

Detail strip it so that you learn a little about its internals, then maybe buy a field replacement kit that contains spares of stuff that might eventually break in any brand of AR, and go shoot the crap out of it.

Guns are metal and made by humans, they break and jam. Learn to live with it. S&W makes fine guns and there shouldn't be anything wrong with it out of the box.