Most balls-on accurate rimfire rifle? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Most balls-on accurate rimfire rifle?

Glockster_221
12-21-2009, 06:13
Hi.

So, what exactly is the most balls-on, **** accurate tac-driver of a rifle? I'm going to throw out some names: CZ, Savage.

I don't want to spend more than $450 on this piece, but I want the most accuracy that amount of money can buy. Trigger has to be like butter or I won't consider it.

Also, I want a bolt action rifle as they are inherently more accurate than semis.

Thanks guys!

CMG
12-21-2009, 06:51
There's a reason that Anschutz has more international small-bore titles than any other brand... but in your stated price range I'd opt for a Savage heavy barrel model with laminated stock and accu-trigger. I have two (both .17s) and every time I shoot them, I am again amazed at their accuracy, even in my hands.

Glockster_221
12-21-2009, 08:18
There's a reason that Anschutz has more international small-bore titles than any other brand... but in your stated price range I'd opt for a Savage heavy barrel model with laminated stock and accu-trigger. I have two (both .17s) and every time I shoot them, I am again amazed at their accuracy, even in my hands.

I've always wanted a Savage. Are they better than CZs?

Twisted Steel
12-21-2009, 09:03
If it's balls-on accurate, you can bet it will command a premium price. $450 is not likely to get the most accurate, but it will get a good one.

My next rimfire will be the Weatherby MK XXII bolt action, which I think is built on the Anshutz action.

Glockster_221
12-21-2009, 09:20
If it's balls-on accurate, you can bet it will command a premium price. $450 is not likely to get the most accurate, but it will get a good one.

My next rimfire will be the Weatherby MK XXII bolt action, which I think is built on the Anshutz action.

How much do those go for?

vafish
12-21-2009, 09:46

MSRP is $999

I'd look around for a used Anschutz 64 action target rifle. It will be over your $450 price range, but if it comes with sights you should be able to sell off the target sights for $150 and then put a scope on it.

Ghost Tracker
12-21-2009, 10:10
You're asking for Dom Perignon on a Moet Chandon budget. If you're asking for THE BEST .22LR Rifle - the Anchutz SuperMatch 54 comes first to my mind. As for your "bolt vs. autoloader" opinion, I held the same view until I bought a Volquartsen. But we're still waaayyy out of your budget. Best bet for ~$450? You called it right to begin with - CZ 452 (Varmint or FS). But don't misunderstand, the Savage MK II BV Accu-Trigger is a pure peach of a .22 rifle. With any of the four options mentioned above, the story is EXACTLY the same. They can ALL shoot...better than YOU & I can shoot. Enjoy your pick!

CMG
12-21-2009, 10:38

Ford vs Chevy...

Out of the box, the Savage Accu-trigger is better than most of the CZs.

In terms of inherent accuracy...... if you took ten of each and shot them for accuracy they'd probably come out tied.

Twisted Steel
12-21-2009, 11:47

Bud's has it for $752. With Buds you can use the 6 months no interest financing. I think over $500 you can get 12 months no interest, which I consider the old phrase "12 months, same as cash".

It's definitely not a beater.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/D11/40/40162.jpg

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_136/products_id/40162

ddhotbot
12-21-2009, 17:38
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=150893456

i am selling this for a friend but, these are known to be very accurate.you cant get them anymore. go on rimfire central and ask about them. email me ddhotbot@hotmail.com

Glockster_221
12-21-2009, 18:08
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=150893456

i am selling this for a friend but, these are known to be very accurate.you cant get them anymore. go on rimfire central and ask about them. email me ddhotbot@hotmail.com

Thanks but I can't afford jack right now. This is for future reference.

Caladan
12-21-2009, 20:44
It's definitely not a beater.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/D11/40/40162.jpg

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_136/products_id/40162

And, it's more accurate than the CZ or the Savage. Also more accurate than the Cooper that my dealer owns.....

Caladan
12-21-2009, 20:46

The CZ is finished a bit better. The Savage's trigger is better out of the box, but the CZ's can be made even better if you care to do the work. Accuracy is pretty even.....

Caladan
12-21-2009, 20:53
I don't want to spend more than $450 on this piece, but I want the most accuracy that amount of money can buy. Trigger has to be like butter or I won't consider it.

"Like butter" is pretty subjective, but I've not seen any trigger in your price range that i would describe in that fashion -- not even the Accutriggers.

You can get an aftermarket trigger for the CZ's and make them pretty good, but that will cost more than your budget allows. You could also get an aftermarket trigger for a Ruger 10/22 and still be in your budget, and have something that will shoot MOA with match ammo.

In your budget, the best trigger I've used so far in a new rifle is the Accutrigger. If you don't mind a used rifle, then the suggestion about a used lightweight match rifle like an Anschutz 64 is spot on, and is the way I would go...

Twisted Steel
12-24-2009, 18:51
And, it's more accurate than the CZ or the Savage. Also more accurate than the Cooper that my dealer owns.....

I have one of the older (okay, old) semi auto rifles. It was made for Weatherby by Beretta. That bad boy is a tack driver and gobbles any brand of ammo I feed it. It's absolutely amazing, and I am stunned at the accuracy. If I ever see one of those for sale in a pawn shop, I'm buying.

seamaster
12-25-2009, 22:26
Both Savage and CZ are pretty close.

The CZ action feels better to me but the Savage costs less. Best bang for the buck would be the basic Savage but once you step up to the nicer model your in the CZ price point.

One of my favorites is the CZ 452 American with 16" barrel and nice walnut stock.

mag318
12-25-2009, 22:41
The most accurate 22 rifle I have ever owned is a Russian Izmash Biathlon 7-2KO and they can be had for around $400. These things have to be shot to be believed. Free floating hammer forged barrel and an exceptional trigger.

tater9mm
12-28-2009, 11:56
Anschutz all the way, but in your price range I'd go with a CZ. My CZ's aren't quite in the league with my Anschutz rifles, but they're darn close accuracy wise.

Caladan
12-28-2009, 21:21
The most accurate 22 rifle I have ever owned is a Russian Izmash Biathlon 7-2KO and they can be had for around $400. These things have to be shot to be believed. Free floating hammer forged barrel and an exceptional trigger.

Do you have any suggestions as to where to look for one of these?

thanks!

Rooster Rugburn
12-29-2009, 06:01
Do you have any suggestions as to where to look for one of these?

thanks!

Google is a start. A Google search brings up sellers, and many threads at forums discussing where to buy and how much they paid.

Just just little tip: If someone on a board says "I spoke with Mac Tilton and he has these for $395". Google Mac Tilton.

Clem Eastwood
12-29-2009, 11:52
my better half and i both have cz452s, as does one of my buddies. him and i both have varmints and the wifes is a 16" american.

i got a savage mk1 fvt for christmas. one thing you have to understand about rimfires, is that every lot of ammo is different. so each time you pick up a given load its probably going to shoot a little differently than the load before it. loads that shoot sub MOA at 100 out of my 452 varmint sometimes dont shoot worth a crap out of my buddies rifle that is the twin of mine. its not just about finding a load they like, its about finding a lot in a given load it likes. you just have to buy ammo and get lucky.

on to the cz/savage thing. what they said above about $450 not getting you the absolutely most accurate rifle is correct. if you want to be really accurate you are going to have to get an Anschutz. i have found the CZs to be very consistent in terms of how accurate they are after you find a good lot of a load the individual rifle likes. all of ours typically shoot MOA or a little under at 100y and in.

i have heard good things about the savage as well, which is why when it was time for an iron sight rifle i went with one. the savage trigger is more easily adjusted than the cz 452 trigger. i do not like the 453 set trigger, the stock 452 trigger sucks. you have to run a shim and a spring if you want the trigger on the 452 to be worth a crap. this is more work than simply adjusting the savage accutrigger. so if working on your own rifle scares you, get the savage. if not, the 452 feels more like a centerfire than a rimfire and i highly recommend it.

fwiw, on rimfirecentral in the superstock bolt action forum there are only a couple of rifles that have qualified for the 1/8" at 25y club/game. my 452, another members savage and a sako quad. none of us really have an anschutz over there but im sure one of those could do it too.

so take you pick and start shooting and keeping records. if you are mythodical about it, you will learn what your rifle likes and every so often you will come across a lot of a given load your rifle likes.

the next question is, how good a shot are you? what optic will you be using? and one of the major steps to being accurate is correctly adjusting the parallax instead of simply using the factory guestimates on the adjustable objective. all this plays a part in putting bullets into the same hole every time. its not just about having "the most balls on accurate rimfire rifle."

Glockster_221
12-29-2009, 14:37
I was thinking about picking up the Savage Mark II FVT as my first rimfire and first rifle.

The reason I want this model is that I want to shoot iron sights before I transition to a scope. Does this sound like a good idea?

Thanks.

wjv
12-29-2009, 15:53
Just remember. Many .22 LR rifles are ammo sensitive. You may have to try the gun with several different weights/brands to find the one that your gun "likes" best. Then stock up on that ammo.

Some ammo have general track records.
CCI Stingers (for example)are good quality, hard hitting ammo. Most people find them to provide reasonable, but not superb accuracy. CCI Velocitor tend to be a bit more accurate. Remington Thunderbolt ammo has a rep for not being very consistent with their powder weights.

But if your getting to the point where 2/10s of an inch start counting, then you almost certainly will have to look at the various Match Grade ammo. The key with match grade ammo is that everything is consistent, round to round. Exactly the same weight bullets, same weight powder, seated exactly the same depth. . . . and so on.

Consistency with ammo = accuracy
Consistency with shooting methods = accuracy

Fact is, your run of the mill Marlin or Winchester will have more accuracy than the majority of shooters can actually take advantage of. So if your going to be serious about shooting, then spend the bucks on a quality gun. If you just going to go plinking 1-2 times a month at the local 50 yard indoor range, then buy a Marlin and spend the difference on buying more ammo/range time. . .

Another Miller
12-29-2009, 17:17
Go with a 17HMR.These are dandy accurate and very nice ballistics.Just my 2 cents.

Savage makes a good rifle.The accutrigger is adjustable and it is very easy to do.

I traded my used ruger 223 standard bolt action for a new savage mako series 17HMR with a scope.Research the caliber(17,or 22) and see which one.

Optics makes a difference too.Good scopes might set you back a few hundred.

Clem Eastwood
12-29-2009, 19:01
I was thinking about picking up the Savage Mark II FVT as my first rimfire and first rifle.

The reason I want this model is that I want to shoot iron sights before I transition to a scope. Does this sound like a good idea?

Thanks.

i cant come up with a good reason why not. i havent shot my savage yet. the only bad things ive heard about them are that the QC can be inconsistent. but CZ didnt offer a sight package I liked.

Doc Pathfinder
01-09-2010, 09:50
Look around for a used Remington 541-S or a 541-T bolt action. These were made in the 80's to early 90's and can be found in your price range. The S model has a sporter weight barrell and the 541-T that I have now has a heavy target barrell. This is by far the most accurate out of the box .22 rimfire that I have ever seen and they are really nice looking too.

Ghost Tracker
01-09-2010, 18:21
Remington 541-S/T. This is by far the most accurate out of the box .22 rimfire that I have ever seen... With all due respect, you might consider opening more boxes. The Rem 541 models (~$385 street retail) are a good value & will hold ~.80" groups @ 50 yards. Nice rifle overall. But when you start talkin" about by far most accurate ever seen I have to suggest Anschutz and/or Volquartsen.

Clem Eastwood
01-09-2010, 22:58
this is a 4 shot 50y target that i shot about a year and a half ago with my CZ for the rimfirecentral superstock bolt action 13mm game. this was with a lot of SK match that my rifle really, really liked. i am sure the groups would have been larger with a fifth shot per group, but its a 4 shot game so there is no reason to ruin your number with a 5th shot to get your name and group average on the plaque. so you get the idea as too what an OOTB CZ 452 will do with loads it really likes. its no anschutz, but for the money it aint to dang bad.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r255/cab0154/IMG_2154.jpg

the ammo box is covering the target i used for foulers.

Hillbilly Jim
01-20-2010, 19:15
My vote would got to a KDF if you can find one and afford it. 1 inch guarantee at one yards with the right ammo in a sporter weight rifle and great looking.

Glockster_221
01-20-2010, 19:21
this is a 4 shot 50y target that i shot about a year and a half ago with my CZ for the rimfirecentral superstock bolt action 13mm game. this was with a lot of SK match that my rifle really, really liked. i am sure the groups would have been larger with a fifth shot per group, but its a 4 shot game so there is no reason to ruin your number with a 5th shot to get your name and group average on the plaque. so you get the idea as too what an OOTB CZ 452 will do with loads it really likes. its no anschutz, but for the money it aint to dang bad.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r255/cab0154/IMG_2154.jpg

the ammo box is covering the target i used for foulers.

:wow: That is some amazing shooting.

Caladan
01-20-2010, 22:28
My vote would got to a KDF if you can find one and afford it. 1 inch guarantee at one yards with the right ammo

One inch at one yard isn't that impressive....

mitchshrader
01-20-2010, 23:35
I'd get a Savage, and put a Mueller scope on it, and quit. The scope makes the accuracy matter.

Without it, inherent accuracy isn't easily achievable, even on windless days. If it's strictly a dedicated target rifle, buy THAT, even if buying used is necessary, but if you want a general purpose gun, Scope It. With some halfway decent glass..

ROGER4314
02-03-2010, 13:27
Marlin 917V heavy barrel in 17HMR at $227 at Wally World is the most accurate bang for the buck in the industry. I shot a perfect 500/500 with 23X at 200 yards in a match and a 499/500 in the match before that. The rifles are outstanding and I own 4 of them.

Flash

Glockster_221
02-03-2010, 18:21
I have my eye set on a CZ 452 Ultra Lux?

Is that not a good choice?

I want to shoot iron first, BTW.

Jeepnik
03-15-2010, 18:06
Something like this, but you'll never get it for that price.

http://ahg.anschuetz-sport.com/bilder/Produktbilder/2010924.jpg

And without years of dedicated practice, you'd never even get close to using it full accuracy potential.

A6Gator
03-27-2010, 20:24
Yep, that's pretty much the gold standard. I used to shoot a 40X when I was on a team, a long time ago, but even then, the Anschutz free rifle was the ticket.

rscottk90
03-29-2010, 20:42
While im still sighting it in a finding the preferd rounds it like you cant really beat the savage mark 2, mine is the sporter but im able to hit a 2 inch round spinner at 100 yrds pretty consistently. At 50 yards using a 8 inch bullseye target they are almost all in the 10 ring.

as far as the 100yard thing goes im a pretty decent shot (ive been told, not trying to gloat) and most people who pick up my gun cant do it.

blackbmw
03-31-2010, 01:20
I can shoot .45 inch 5rd groups at 50 yards with my remington 597 with a ****tty trigger and 4x40 bushnell scope, all with golden bullets. give me a rest and its fricken over, all with a cheap *** rifle. Its the shooter! not the gun. Im betting that with a rest and some seriously controlled ammo, and manually loading each round i can get pretty close to 5rds in one hole at 50. you know what? i gotta try it now, lets see how acuratte this cheap gun is. Ill get back with pics in 2 weeks, i bet it will be impressive..(gun has basic crap done, volquartsen hammer, extractor, barrel free floated, sear stoned and polished.)

PzGren
03-31-2010, 08:09
The most accurate Anschütz rifles are built around the 54 action. I love the older rifles that are pre 1960. Forget $450 and remember your title:

Most balls-on accurate rimfire rifle?

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z159/Andyd173/DSCF4390.jpg