Bullet Weights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Weights

KenB22
12-21-2009, 09:27
I have FMJ and JHP ammo in 185, 200 and 230 gr weights. I'd like to pick one weight and go with it so my target practice loads most simulate my carry loads. I sometimes carry my 38 for SD but most often use it as a woods gun. Which would be the best weight to settle on for both SD and practice keeping in mind woods carry would be the primary purpose. I am assuming the heavier bullet would penetrate the most but I'm willing to be educated. I have a trip out to Wyoming planned and I want my 38 to be as helpful as possible out there. I know, I need a .44 magnum but I'm short on cash and can't buy another gun. If I can hang on to the 38 (I have it for sale but am trying to keep it), I need it to be the best it can be for that trip. Thanks for any help.

p.d.
12-21-2009, 09:56
I can't provide empirical data to help you, and will admit a bias toward the heavier projectiles. I just stick with 230 grains for both ball and hollow points. I don't believe you will ever get enough velocity from a G38 to make up for bullet weight.

KenB22
12-21-2009, 13:27
Thanks. I'll stick with 230gr for all unless someone talks me out of it.

gary newport
01-02-2010, 13:27
I rely on 230-grain Federal HST loads in .45 GAP (and .45 ACP) for defense. For competition, I mostly reload both with 200-grain bullets, which are less expensive and the heavier bullets.